Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think along with the Olympics high standards for Atheletes to perform there , they should also adopt high standards of dignity, respect for themselves and others, and morality to encourage and safeguard civility. If you can think of a higher set of moral standards than Christian Morality as defined in the 10 Commandments and Jesus' Teachings ... please list because they should be used (of course all this assumes inherently depraved mankind will show remarkable desire to have these in their lives...which is certainly not the case because instant sexual gratification known as sexual hedonism trumps morality and self dignity , especially today and even with those who play church each Sunday appropriately termed : psuedo-'christians') .

How exactly does having sex reduce someone's dignity, or respect for self or others? Likewise, how is it immoral or uncivil?

I'm willing to toss a bet out there and say that it's likely everyone reading this thread has engaged in sexual activity. I think for the most part none of those labels apply to people on here.

As for a set of moral standards, there's plenty of ones that beat out the 10 commandments. Off the top of my head the Universal Declaration of Human Rights comes to mind.

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
I think along with the Olympics high standards for Atheletes to perform there , they should also adopt high standards of dignity, respect for themselves and others, and morality to encourage and safeguard civility. If you can think of a higher set of moral standards than Christian Morality as defined in the 10 Commandments and Jesus' Teachings ... please list because they should be used (of course all this assumes inherently depraved mankind will show remarkable desire to have these in their lives...which is certainly not the case because instant sexual gratification known as sexual hedonism trumps morality and self dignity , especially today and even with those who play church each Sunday appropriately termed : psuedo-'christians') .

I would just like to point out that some of the 10 commandments go directly against the very spirit of the Olympics.

For instance, the first commandment is "Have no gods besides YHWH". The Olympics are about getting people together regardless of their race, religion, or nationality and celebrate together in the human physical ability. So the 10 commandments are by their very nature not compatible here.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I would just like to point out that some of the 10 commandments go directly against the very spirit of the Olympics.

For instance, the first commandment is "Have no gods besides YHWH". The Olympics are about getting people together regardless of their race, religion, or nationality and celebrate together in the human physical ability. So the 10 commandments are by their very nature not compatible here.

No graven images would also work great at the Olympics lol

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

1. The 10 Commandments arent just for CHristians who want to obey them...they are universal to a world of people that God created , owns, and to whom we will one day be accountable toward . If some people dont wish to obey them, that doesnt nullify them just like if I dont want to obey the speed limits on the road they are hence non existent or unimportant .

2. The 10 Commandments are for ALL socieites and represent an objective standard because they are a prescription from the Creator thereby making them foundationally objective...and, they offer maximized civility, justice, fairness, and morality . Its a travesty people could care less about them or ANY moral standard for that matter because genitilia-titilization trumps morality and personal dignity.

3. Our Creator has no problem with many races and nationalities getting together at one meeting place . Why should he since hes the Creator of us all ? We are all ONE blood and 'races' are a man-made term that divides and encourages prejudice .

4. The 10 Commandments are not only suitable for the Olympic Games, but they are suitable for what is supposed to be a civil planet . With people making up their own 'morals' (amoraily really) , they encourage anarchy and observable quantifiable consequences (which many wish to pretend are non existent) .

What ISNT suitable...is the Olympic Committee dumping loads of condoms into hands for relentless sexual hedonism because it is an affront to our very holy, pure, moral, ethical Creator in whos image we are all made ; thats not only unsuitable, but a blatant act of hostility and rebellion toward our loving personal theistic Creator (God) thru using another human being for a mere copulation as Forest Animals do, then moving onto the next illicit sexual quest. It is reprehensible for a prestigous Committee or(alleged) world-class City to endorse and encourage dangerous sexual behaviour as evidenced by prevailing STD epidemics across the globe. Its a shame they have no shame !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Considering that the first and foremost of the famed Christian commandments is "You shall not have any gods before me", and that the Olympic games are based on festivities for the, guess what! olympian gods, I'd say no "true Christian" should partake in these heathen proceedings.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
1. The 10 Commandments arent just for CHristian who want to obey them...they are universal to a world of people that God created and owns. If some people dont wish to obey them, that doesnt nullify them just like if I dont want to obey the speed limits on the road they are hence non existent.

Actually, if there was no consensus to recognise speed limits, then they effectively wouldn't exist. They depend on the fact that many people stick by them, but they fold otherwise.

In addition, one can hardly call a set of commandments that contain 40% kowtowing to one culture's deity, and were explicitly issued in the first instance to one culture and one culture only universal.

2. The 10 Commandments are for ALL socieites and represent an objective standard because they are a prescription from the Creator thereby making them objective...and, they offer maximized civility, justice, fairness, and morality . Its a travesty people could care less about them or ANY moral standard for that matter.
No, I care about moral standards that are a bit more in-depth than God's post-it note of commandments (well, ok, the rest of mosaic law is in-depth, but it's in-depth about the wrong things - if you can spraff on for ages about the dimensions of your tabernacle, then you could surely have stuck a "thou shalt abolish slavery" in there).

Incidentally, "God said so" is not necessarily objective. Arguably it's just one more kind of subjectivity.

3. Our Creator has no problem with many races and nationalities getting together at one meeting place .
Except Babel, apparently, and depending on which wingnuts you talk to, the UN.

Why should he since hes the Creator of us all ? We are all ONE blood and races are a man-made term that divides and encourages racism.
^_^ ^_^

No, races exist because your God made them so, allegedly.

God was also quite happy to bless, curse or even kill people purely based on their race during his slightly unhinged OT days.

(Who are you, that do not know your own history? Staggering!)

4. The 10 Commandments are not only suitable for the Olympic Games, but they are suitable for what is supposed to be a civil planet . With people making up their own 'morals' (amoraily really) , they encourage anarchy .
A commandment of absolute intolerance of other religious beliefs is as amenable to civility as a tank of gasoline is to putting out a fire.

What ISNT suitable...is the Olympic Committee dumping loads of condoms into the hands for relentless sexual hedonism
They gave them 15 each for two weeks. That's not relentless, that's barely enough for the weekends.

because it is an affront to our very holy, pure, moral, ethical Creator in whos image we are all made ; thats not only unsuitable, but a blatant act of hostility and rebellion toward our loving personal theistic Creator (God) thru using another human being for a mere copulation as Forest Animals do, then moving onto the next illicit sexual quest.
You know most animals mate to reproduce, don't you? Analogy fail!

It is reprehensible for a prestigous Committee or City to endorse and encourage dangerous sexual behaviour as evidenced by prevailing STD epidemics across the globe. Its a shame they have no shame !
What evidence? You have not provided any that has stood up.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

Are you aware of the fact that many of these athletes do not identify as Christian? These athletes are coming from all over so it's possible that many of them are Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. And I'm sure they have their own moral code they follow.

What ISNT suitable...is the Olympic Committee dumping loads of condoms into hands for relentless sexual hedonism because it is an affront to our very holy, pure, moral, ethical Creator in whos image we are all made ; thats not only unsuitable, but a blatant act of hostility and rebellion toward our loving personal theistic Creator (God) thru using another human being for a mere copulation as Forest Animals do, then moving onto the next illicit sexual quest. It is reprehensible for a prestigous Committee or(alleged) world-class City to endorse and encourage dangerous sexual behaviour as evidenced by prevailing STD epidemics across the globe. Its a shame they have no shame !

I don' understand how you came to the conclusion that giving away condoms=encouraging people to be promiscuous. As I asked earlier, would you rather for people to spread dangerous STD's? You're also making a lot of assumptions. What if some these athletes are married but want to put off having children? What if some of them are celibate? Besides, I don't see how giving out condoms is endorsing dangerous sexual activity, if anything the Olympic Committee is aware that some of these athletes may very well engage in sexual activity and want to encourage them to be safe.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
As I asked earlier, would you rather for people to spread dangerous STD's?

I personally think that that's exactly what people with this mentality want. They want a nice material consequence that they can point to to try and get people to listen to them. Removing it (via a technology, say) makes their exhortations less pressing to listen to.

I don't think they're actually concerned about these people at all, I think they're more concerned about attention.

Upvote 0

yasic

Part time poster, Full time lurker
Sep 9, 2005
✟14,558.00
Faith
Atheist
1. The 10 Commandments arent just for CHristians who want to obey them...they are universal to a world of people that God created , owns, and to whom we will one day be accountable toward . If some people dont wish to obey them, that doesnt nullify them just like if I dont want to obey the speed limits on the road they are hence non existent or unimportant .
You can argue their universal objectivity if you like, the fact remains that the Olympics is not a Christian event or organisation and its very spirit is directly opposed to ideals such as the 10 commandments. As such the fact remains that the 10 commandments have no place in the Olympics.

2. The 10 Commandments are for ALL socieites and represent an objective standard because they are a prescription from the Creator thereby making them foundationally objective...and, they offer maximized civility, justice, fairness, and morality . Its a travesty people could care less about them or ANY moral standard for that matter because genitilia-titilization trumps morality and personal dignity.
I pretty much disagree with every single point you made here, but explaining the reasons for why is for another thread as this has nothing to do with the Olympics.

3. Our Creator has no problem with many races and nationalities getting together at one meeting place . Why should he since hes the Creator of us all ? We are all ONE blood and 'races' are a man-made term that divides and encourages prejudice .
Good for him.

4. The 10 Commandments are not only suitable for the Olympic Games, but they are suitable for what is supposed to be a civil planet . With people making up their own 'morals' (amoraily really) , they encourage anarchy and observable quantifiable consequences (which many wish to pretend are non existent) .
All morals are made up by people, this includes the 10 commandments (On the basis that they were not made by God hence they were made by people). Obviously you disagree with me (in that you believe in biblical God) so we just have to accept that we will likely never reach any consensus on this point.

And regardless of this, as stated earlier, the 10 commandments remain directly opposed to the spirit behind the Olympics meaning that regardless of their moral value, they still have no place there.

As before I disagree with just about everything:
- It is very suitable for the Olympic Committee to provide condoms to help with unintended consequences of sex.
- Your creator does not exist
- If he did he would be neither pure, nor moral, or ethical, though I will grant you 'Holy'
- Practicing safe sex is not a rebellion toward God even if he did exist.
- Having unprotected sex (even monogamous sex) is closer to what Forest Animals do (some are monogamous) than using condoms.
- The Olympic committee has never endorsed or encouraged any kind of sexual behavior (as far as I am aware). Providing condoms does not mean you encourage or endorse any kind of sex act.
- The use of condoms lowers STD rates rather than increasing them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

We reject the idea that they're anything else than the scribblings of some person that lived 2,500 years ago. You may believe they're somehow binding on us, however that does not make your beliefs true.

We are not Christians, and we reject your religious beliefs. We believe in a moral society, but we don't in any way feel bound to your religious dogma.
It simply isn't relevant.

Demonstrate your creator exists, then we can talk about the commandments being objective and universal.

There's some good points in there (i.e. Don't Kill), however there's some sections of the commandments which have no moral basis at all.

And just because we don't believe in your religion doesn't mean we don't believe in any moral standard. In fact, I would say my moral standard is superior to the one which you are promoting.

Who is this creator, and how can you show that he exists?

At least he sounds like he's not racist, which is a good redeeming quality if he's actually real.

This is complete bunk. Morality existed prior to the commandments, and have been improved upon since the commandments were written. Mankind likely made up your commandments too, which debunks your point.

A secular moral system in no way encourages anarchy. Throwing out this accusation is pure nonsense.

It may be an affront to your religious views, and fair enough. If you were present, you are well within your rights to not use the condoms, and even file a complaint you were given them.

However, you do not have the right to try to impose your views upon others. We think your beliefs are rooted in bronze age nonsense.

The idea that distributing condoms will lead to rampant sex parties is ridiculous. I'm sure some of them will be used, but the vast majority won't be. However, if someone is going to engage in sexual activity there, it's probably going to happen with or without the free condoms present. At least with the condom, STD's and whatnot can be avoided. It's dealing with a realistic situation, not your pie in the sky fantasy where every single one of thousands of athletes would remain totally celibate.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I personally think that that's exactly what people with this mentality want. They want a nice material consequence that they can point to to try and get people to listen to them. Removing it (via a technology, say) makes their exhortations less pressing to listen to.

I don't think they're actually concerned about these people at all, I think they're more concerned about attention.

I agree with you. That's probably why Dave didn't answer my question earlier. I also feel there's a "they'll get what they deserve for being disgusting heathens!" element.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I agree with you. That's probably why Dave didn't answer my question earlier. I also feel there's a "they'll get what they deserve for being disgusting heathens!" element.

Sure, even if my specific point is incorrect, they sure don't seem to actually care much about those who experience the negative outcomes nor about those at risk of them.

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Yea... Sorry, but not working on the Sabbath isn't a moral virtue.

At any rate, why is sex so depraved, horrific, and morally reprehensible?

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

When they have to invent imaginary, undesirable consequences for enjoying sexual pleasure with yourself (aka "masturbation,") you know that they're not really concerned about morality or what is right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So you didn't want to discuss anything you just wanted to present your opinion, and have everyone say "ooh.. you're right.. thank you" and then what?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.