Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Paul's advice to Titus in Titus 2:15. He says similarly to Timothy; "let no one despise your youth."

But how does a young person in ministry actually shift the attitude or behaviour of those who do look down on them or despise their youth?

All thoughts welcome.

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I was new too the faith I clung too much on the teachers, to the point I was not reading the Bible anymore.

I think we should encourage the youth to study the Bible and read it with the Pastor/Priest.

I would go to the church and forget to open it, I found much more deeper meaning inside when I read it along, like it retains better.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The minister in the video below says that as children we have been addicted to three drugs...

1. Attention
2. Appreciation
3. Acceptance

Taking as a scripture text along with text on King Herod.....

The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe. - Proverbs 29:25

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus himself said, "No prophet is accepted in his own country." The phenomenon is for the parish in which a person is formed, discerns a call, and begins to work toward ordination to take him for granted. I'm never called Father at my home parish; only when I supply at other parishes in the diocese. And it didn't register with me until I started doing a lot of supply work.

In the end, the best one can do is to live impeccably and prepare for each service with a good effort. And when a parishioner needs something (because few of them will ever call you until they need something) think of yourself as the sacrificing servant, as the washer of feet, and go do your best for that person in that moment.

Reactions: JazzHands
Upvote 0

JazzHands

Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Paul's advice to Titus in Titus 2:15. He says similarly to Timothy; "let no one despise your youth."

But how does a young person in ministry actually shift the attitude or behaviour of those who do look down on them or despise their youth?

All thoughts welcome.
Hi Paidiske,
Your path in life is quite foreign to mine so I know I'm not likely to be able to contribute much but I appreciate that inter-generational relations can often be fraught, especially between younger authority figures and older 'clients'. Young medical professionals, no doubt, face similar resistance.

I think the problem is that when I look to authority figures for advice and/or reassurance, I have, admittedly, some biased preconceptions. For example, my parents are old relative to those of my peers. My Father (a retired Doctor) is soon to turn 90 but even in his physical frailty, his presence is considerable. Even though his medical knowledge is becoming increasingly sketchy by modern standards, it's not his knowledge that gives Mum and I the reassurance we often need, it's his wisdom.

Dad has spent a lifetime observing the world and postulating explanations for the inexplicable and when he speaks, it's like listening to a sage. Young people can be wise but not always worldly. But where young people can really shine is through their optimism, idealism, empathy and vivacity - a wholesome antidote to the weary cynic.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's funny you should say that about doctors, JazzHands. Just recently a young doctor friend of mine were comparing notes on how our experiences are similar and different (there are a lot of similarities).

What I find is that there's no problem with taking services or preaching or whatever. It's more when I actually try to exercise leadership, there's a strand of patronising and at times even quite hostile reactions from other people. Now I do realise that for those people, they have children my age (or would, if they'd had children), and so the dynamics must be a bit weird (for them as well as for me); but when I started realising that it wouldn't be unfair to call some of their behaviour bullying, I started wondering, well, it's all well and good for Paul to say this to Titus and Timothy, but what did he expect them to actually do, to put a stop to it?

Reactions: JazzHands
Upvote 0

JazzHands

Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's funny you should say that about doctors, JazzHands. Just recently a young doctor friend of mine were comparing notes on how our experiences are similar and different (there are a lot of similarities).

What I find is that there's no problem with taking services or preaching or whatever. It's more when I actually try to exercise leadership, there's a strand of patronising and at times even quite hostile reactions from other people. Now I do realise that for those people, they have children my age (or would, if they'd had children), and so the dynamics must be a bit weird (for them as well as for me); but when I started realising that it wouldn't be unfair to call some of their behaviour bullying, I started wondering, well, it's all well and good for Paul to say this to Titus and Timothy, but what did he expect them to actually do, to put a stop to it?
Yes, that all makes sense Paidiske and it does resonate.

I can think of one time when I felt a similar sense of antipathy, no... more like disapproval, and that was when a couple of paramedics arrived in my parents apartment after my Dad had taken a bad turn after falling down some steps. The first thing I noticed was that, instead of calling him 'Doctor', they called him by his first name, 'David', or worse still, 'Dave'. Then they proceeded to talk to him like he was either toddler or a dribbling vegetable - it was all so incredibly patronising.

I realise that they're probably trained to be as familiar and sympathetic as possible given that many of their patients will be scared and alone but I think there's a sense sometimes that the young already take too many liberties when dealing with their seniors. That last thing to go as you get older is your dignity as you increasingly, all be it, reluctantly, start to depend more on others.

No one likes to surrender sovereignty but if they have to, they'd usually rather surrender to someone they feel understands them and it's often hard to accept that young people have the where with all to understand what older people have had to learn from a lifetime of experience.

I admire your calling and your compassion and I'm glad that you do what you do, we'd be a right old state if we didn't have you. You seem very empathetic so maybe my own observations might help provide a little context.

God bless you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
If a youth speaks to someone older, they may expect the righteousness of "esteeming your fellows as greater than yourself", to be returned. Only to find it is acknowledged. Some people think they are mentally superior... We could be speaking to a narcissist.

It is important to hold your ground. Not to acknowledge a claim to superiority. Such as the claim scientists may make when supposing their opinions.

It is important to let the elders know they don't have any authority that they are not given by the youths. Youths are free to come under a mentor, and to leave them. You can refer to an elder's elder and to the Bible. It is important to know the whole Bible. To discern and reply to insults, and snobbishness and mocking. One can report them to the head pastor. If they don't love you, they miss the point, which should be mentioned that a word given is substandard for acknowledgement. Respect also matters.

Upvote 0

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟250,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
perhaps by asking them for their input, wisdom and ideas on certain issues, they would feel heard and understood, valued and respected, even if you may not necessarily need this from them.

perhaps keep them busy being on committees, workshops, or in leadership positions that you create?

(if you are being abused, that is not tolerable is it? can you get advice on how to handle this from any resource in real life, if this is so?)

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
(if you are being abused, that is not tolerable is it? can you get advice on how to handle this from any resource in real life, if this is so?)

I'm keeping in close touch with my supervisor as I work through these things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
If anything, our denomination needs more young people and would welcome them into ministry, we just haven't figured out how to get young people to endure the sacrifices necessary for ordination and ministry. Older people are typically more established wen they experience a calling, many have already lead a successful career.

We used to have a vicar at our church that was in his early 30's and his presence is missed, but he received a calling to a congregation in rural Pennsylvania. It was our loss and their gain. He was very capable of relating to younger people, something our current pastor is not necessarily skilled at.

Upvote 0