Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
my two-cents on this whole Jesus is my boyfriend/husband thing...

Turn on the radio, and you'll hear someone asking "How can I live or breathe without you?" or declaring "I need you" and similar things. Watch a romance movie and you see couples declaring that they found that one person who makes everything make sense. Without this person nothing would matter -life wouldn't be worth living. It seems that romantic love is the end all be all. Couples look for someone to complete them, to give them a hope, a purpose, a reason. Everyone is trying to find someone to be their everything.

But the problem is that people were never meant to have that role..and we've tried to force them into it. That's the way it has become in this society...

God was meant to have that role. He is the One to give us a reason, a hope, a future, a meaning. He was meant to be our everything.

I reckon the reason there's the lingo of Jesus as a boyfriend or husband (more so than the church being the bride) is because what it seems most people today are looking for in a spouse is what we are meant to seek in God.

That's the problem. It's not that songs about God sound like romantic love songs. It's that romantic love songs sound like songs about God. It's not that we are trying to make Jesus our boyfriend. It's that we are trying to make our boyfriends (girlfriends, wives, husbands,etc) our Jesus.

Yes....and the best one....Tom Cruise "You....complete me!"

BLECK! Get ahold of yourselves....lol! Sadly at some point in all of our lives we will experience the loss of another human being that we've known and loved, but life DOES go on. It's up to you if you participate or not.

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Turn on the radio, and you'll hear someone asking "How can I live or breathe without you?" or declaring "I need you" and similar things. Watch a romance movie and you see couples declaring that they found that one person who makes everything make sense. Without this person nothing would matter -life wouldn't be worth living. It seems that romantic love is the end all be all. Couples look for someone to complete them, to give them a hope, a purpose, a reason. Everyone is trying to find someone to be their everything.

But the problem is that people were never meant to have that role..and we've tried to force them into it. That's the way it has become in this society...

God was meant to have that role. He is the One to give us a reason, a hope, a future, a meaning. He was meant to be our everything.

I reckon the reason there's the lingo of Jesus as a boyfriend or husband (more so than the church being the bride) is because what it seems most people today are looking for in a spouse is what we are meant to seek in God.

That's the problem. It's not that songs about God sound like romantic love songs. It's that romantic love songs sound like songs about God. It's not that we are trying to make Jesus our boyfriend. It's that we are trying to make our boyfriends (girlfriends, wives, husbands,etc) our Jesus.

I don't know about that.

See, I'm a Romantic, so naturally I won't agree.

I think there are reasons why God uses romantic language towards His people in the bible. We can draw a lot of parallels between that kind of love and God's passionate love for His people, and all people in general. But to say that we should literally be chasing God around as a mate, it's a little on the silly side, I'd say.

Having experienced love a couple times in my life, I can safely say that. Love can be like a drug that blinds a person to all reason and sensibility. Another person can, and often does, become your everything. Humanly speaking anyway.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Reactions: kevlite2020
Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

I don't know about that.

See, I'm a Romantic, so naturally I won't agree.

I think there are reasons why God uses romantic language towards His people in the bible. We can draw a lot of parallels between that kind of love and God's passionate love for His people, and all people in general. But to say that we should literally be chasing God around as a mate, it's a little on the silly side, I'd say.

Having experienced love a couple times in my life, I can safely say that. Love can be like a drug that blinds a person to all reason and sensibility. Another person can, and often does, become your everything. Humanly speaking anyway.

God has allowed mankind to have spouses for obvious reasons but though we may have a husband/wife, we still need Him and only He can make us truely 'complete' (for the stupid usage of Cruise's phrase ;)). Often we look for 'completeness' in our significant other when the fact of the matter is, they will never totally fill us. But it's when people try to make God that significant other plus the God that He is, that's where things get really out of wack!

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It can be dangerous either way. I think it's easy to fall into either ditch. Without God, we have nothing. But man was created to have relationship with other men (namely, women) too. To deny the importance of either concept is fruitfless and denies God's intent for our walk with Him and others.

Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

It can be dangerous either way. I think it's easy to fall into either ditch. Without God, we have nothing. But man was created to have relationship with other men (namely, women) too. To deny the importance of either concept is fruitfless and denies God's intent for our walk with Him and others.

Yep, I'd agree with that!

Upvote 0

ceh85

You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God has allowed mankind to have spouses for obvious reasons but though we may have a husband/wife, we still need Him and only He can make us truely 'complete' (for the stupid usage of Cruise's phrase ;)). Often we look for 'completeness' in our significant other when the fact of the matter is, they will never totally fill us. But it's when people try to make God that significant other plus the God that He is, that's where things get really out of wack!

I agree with all the above.

Upvote 0
S

StarryEyes

Isaiah 54:5 (King James Version)

5For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

I think that's the verse that's being referred to. I haven't looked further into it so I'm not going to add comments other than posting the verse.

have a great evening all! :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MyEverything

♥ The Only Soul I Know ♥
Aug 2, 2010
✟8,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I honestly believe that some people are called to dedicate their lives to God and God becomes like a spouse to them, in as much as God is their great love and God is to whom their heart belongs. I am fairly liberal and non-traditional but I believe that people can be "married" to God.

I agree with you entirely. I don't think the idea of being "married" to God is creepy at all. I think it's lovely. I have no desire to ever be married, because my heart belongs to Him. I don't need physical intimacy or anything like that. Just loving Him and being loved by Him is enough for me. This type of love isn't a husband/wife love, but a love shared by two entities.

Upvote 0

Brad2009

Feb 10, 2009
USA
✟9,437.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It wasn't my idea to use his teachings. Believe me, the first I heard it, I knew it was not for me.

There were so many things wrong with that church it wasn't even funny. Hence why I left.

Good for you dude. I've heard some stories about IHOP... I visited their prayer room here in KC a few times. Not entirely off putting, IDK if God is in it or not, but it seems to me they play a little loose with prophecy especially.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
E

Edwards1984

Good for you dude. I've heard some stories about IHOP... I visited their prayer room here in KC a few times. Not entirely off putting, IDK if God is in it or not, but it seems to me they play a little loose with prophecy especially.

Yeah I'm in the KC area too, and I've heard stories about them. Some think they're a tad bit cultish, but from what I've watched on their live webcasts, they're mostly just...I dunno...strange. I wouldn't be surprised if they emphasized prophecy a bit too much.

Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

Yeah I'm in the KC area too, and I've heard stories about them. Some think they're a tad bit cultish, but from what I've watched on their live webcasts, they're mostly just...I dunno...strange. I wouldn't be surprised if they emphasized prophecy a bit too much.

Folks have to be very very cautious of what they claim to be a 'cult'! Just because someone has a different theological view than you do, doesn't make them a cult. We've had folks call us a cult! Look back on those cults that are really cults and you couldn't have to beliefs further apart! Read the book '10 Most Deadly Cults of the World' (something like that, I honestly don't remember what the title exaclty was!) and yes, they are cults!!

Upvote 0
E

Edwards1984

Folks have to be very very cautious of what they claim to be a 'cult'! Just because someone has a different theological view than you do, doesn't make them a cult. We've had folks call us a cult! Look back on those cults that are really cults and you couldn't have to beliefs further apart!

Let's just say I've been told I'll meet my wife there, many talk as if this is the only place to find salvation, and I've heard people who leave are generally shunned by others.

This goes a little beyond something miniscule like "Who is the author of Hebrews?" or "Are we synergistic or monergistic?"

Upvote 0
T

TanteBelle

Let's just say I've been told I'll meet my wife there, many talk as if this is the only place to find salvation, and I've heard people who leave are generally shunned by others.

This goes a little beyond something miniscule like "Who is the author of Hebrews?" or "Are we synergistic or monergistic?"

You'll meet your wife in that church? What made folks assume that? You've got strange standards? ;) LOL!
The bold are two things that are common in cults, so I've found anyway when looking into them (I have an odd liking of looking into cults! Probably to know how to know one when you see one and how to steer clear!) But to be honest, in our family, yes, we've had to shun someone from our family but not because of their faith. We don't care so much what your faith is, but we do care about what you do to the family! And what he did was just ....... I won't even try to explain, but yes, in our family, there was a necessity to shun someone. And that's not unscriptural and it's not only something of believers to do; folks who have no faith at all still will do the same thing if they had happen to them what happened to us. So, shunning someone isn't purely a cult thing. When done wrongly and unjustly, yes!

I don't get the last part, sorry mate!

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
That's the thing that bothers me about alot of churches. The pastor of the church I used to go to doesn't like this other church in town because alot of the members left "his" church to go to the "other" church and he's hurt about that. I would think Pastors or Ministers or whatever you call your church leaders would be EXSTATIC that people are going to church anywhere! That is the goal right to all become Christ like and be in Unity? So any church that acts like they've got the corner market on Christianity and they are the only ones that KNOW....well they're just on the wrong track and not at all on the right track when it comes to Salvation or any other teaching of the Bible.

Upvote 0