Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When we look at America in the natural, with the blatant disobedience and rebellion…the sheer ugliness of what is happening around us, it is easy to forget that the battle isn’t flesh and blood (Ephesians 6:12). It’s not a comfortable thing to think about principalities, powers, rulers of darkness, and hosts of wickedness, is it? But that’s where the fight is, so when we aim our darts at people, we lose ground in the fight. We do that by being disobedient to the word of the living and almighty God.

God is a God of purpose, with a plan for each and every person, and the creator of the universe placed each of us where we are for a reason. Who dares question His methods or the people He chooses to use? For now, He has chosen Donald Trump to occupy the White House. What are we to do with this reality? What does His word tell us?

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.
(Romans 13:1)

It doesn’t stop there. Paul further says:

Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. (Romans 13:2)

I sure don’t want to bring any extra judgment on myself. I choose the respect the Office of the President regardless of the occupant. To disparage the president, no matter how you feel about him, is wrong according to scripture. We can't attribute every good thing in the economy to a previous administration without also blaming that same administration for all the bad things that might happen. A year and a half into the current term, it's time to let go of what used to be and focus on where God has us now.

Samuel had anointed David King of Israel, but David would not raise his hand against King Saul, though Saul was determined to kill him, and he would not allow his men to speak against God’s anointed. That is respect for God's authority of who he places in authority. It's how we should act. To do otherwise shows no fear of the Lord.

We aren’t called to like Donald Trump or everything he says or does. Aren’t you glad God didn’t put that in the Bible? But we are called to pray for him (1 Timothy 2:2), and to not speak evil of him, or anyone. (Titus 3:1-2).

I cringe at some of President Trump's tweets and his prideful comments. I also cringe at the way his comments and actions are so often distorted in the media. Like you and me, the President is not the finished product, and not everything news personalities and political pundits say about him are true.

Some say Donald Trump is God’s judgment on America (I do not believe this is the case, and the same has been said about Presidents past). But if so, wouldn’t it be ever so important to already be in a posture of prayer?

God’s word is living and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword…and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12). I think it’s time to put the word of God back in authority in the hearts and lives of His people.

If you are unsure of what to pray for the president, here are some starting points:
  • Pray for the summit with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un in Singapore on Tuesday. For God’s will to be done on earth as it is in Heaven (Matthew 6:10).
  • Pray for his salvation, that he be filled with the Holy Spirit.
  • Pray that his eyes be opened so that he sees, that his ears be opened so that he hears from God, and pray that his heart is opened so that he understands.
  • Pray for maturity in his position.
  • Pray that the Holy Spirit infiltrates his every decision.
  • Pray that God gives him spiritual wisdom.
  • Pray that President Trump is consistently surrounded by God-fearing, praying men and women.
  • Pray that God gives him strength to follow through with Godly decisions, even in the face of much opposition.
  • Pray for his safety.
  • Pray for Truth to sweep our nation, that the blinders be removed from God’s people, and that the Holy Spirit will permeate and saturate this nation in a way that those of us living in this day have never seen.
It has to start somewhere.
Might as well be you and me.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God is a God of purpose, with a plan for each and every person, and the creator of the universe placed each of us where we are for a reason. Who dares question His methods or the people He chooses to use? For now, He has chosen Donald Trump to occupy the White House. What are we to do with this reality? What does His word tell us?
Did God choose Trump or did God just give the people want they wanted like He did in the OT?
God didn't want Israel to have a king, God wanted judges to rule the people. But they wanted what the pagan nations had, a king. So God gave them Saul, he worked out really well. :sigh:

• Agree
Reactions: jazzflower92
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(snip)

Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.
(Romans 13:1)

It doesn’t stop there. Paul further says:

Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. (Romans 13:2)

(snip)
Ahhh! You want to know what the real miracle of President Trumps administration is? Those Scriptures (that had seemingly disappeared from most Christians Bibles during the 8 years of President Obama's administration, never to be seen again) suddenly reappeared in Jan of 2017! I couldn't believe how many evangelicals opened their Bible in Jan. of that year and those Scriptures had some how managed to be back, as good as new, after their 8 year vacation! :clap:
tulc(while the "adultery", "not bearing false witness" and "repenting" Scriptures have all suddenly become very...quiet) :sorry:

Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ahhh! You want to know what the real miracle of President Trumps administration is? Those Scriptures (that had seemingly disappeared from most Christians Bibles during the 8 years of President Obama's administration, never to be seen again) suddenly reappeared in Jan of 2017! I couldn't believe how many evangelicals opened their Bible in Jan. of that year and those Scriptures had some how managed to be back, as good as new, after their 8 year vacation! :clap:
tulc(while the "adultery", "not bearing false witness" and "repenting" Scriptures have all suddenly become very...quiet) :sorry:
The fact that America is still standing proves people were praying for President Obama. Some people, however, felt he was so perfect he didn't need prayer.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did God choose Trump or did God just give the people want they wanted like He did in the OT?
God didn't want Israel to have a king, God wanted judges to rule the people. But they wanted what the pagan nations had, a king. So God gave them Saul, he worked out really well. :sigh:
Time will tell, my friend. But like I said in the post, even so...wouldn’t it be ever so important to already be in a posture of prayer?

Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
I think we need a subtle distinction here - yes leaders are there by God's authority. But would you have said the same if you lived in Nazi Germany? North Korea? Eritrea? How does that work when two authorities clash (such as the US and Canada/G7 at the moment)?

You also need to be aware that the US has a very "American-centric" world view. Two of my friends have interesting perspectives, one is from Texas, the other lived in New York for years. Both say that when you leave America, you suddenly become aware of the rest of the world, of other viewpoints. Both found that disturbing. So I personally think that having a more international perspective is valuable. I am aware that every country has its own media bias - and we must be aware of that. It skews how things are seen.

Authority can be abused - so as Christians, we also have a duty to stand up to authority when that happens. Jesus had no problem standing up to the authorities in his day, and neither should we. Christians should be involved and using our voice trying to see things from a Kingdom perspective rather than our own (temporary) national perspectives.

Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we need a subtle distinction here - yes leaders are there by God's authority. But would you have said the same if you lived in Nazi Germany? North Korea? Eritrea? How does that work when two authorities clash (such as the US and Canada/G7 at the moment)?

You also need to be aware that the US has a very "American-centric" world view. Two of my friends have interesting perspectives, one is from Texas, the other lived in New York for years. Both say that when you leave America, you suddenly become aware of the rest of the world, of other viewpoints. Both found that disturbing. So I personally think that having a more international perspective is valuable. I am aware that every country has its own media bias - and we must be aware of that. It skews how things are seen.

Authority can be abused - so as Christians, we also have a duty to stand up to authority when that happens. Jesus had no problem standing up to the authorities in his day, and neither should we. Christians should be involved and using our voice trying to see things from a Kingdom perspective rather than our own (temporary) national perspectives.
I would think that in those situations, prayer would be of utmost importance. I pray for NK often, and other oppressed people. I am certain people in those situations are praying desperate prayers. I don't think obedience to the scripture is based on whether or not we like the leader, or whether or not s/he is a good leader.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

DW1980

Don
Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2017
Scotland
✟121,809.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK - SNP
I would think that in those situations, prayer would be of utmost importance. I pray for NK often, and other oppressed people. I am certain people in those situations are praying desperate prayers. I don't think obedience to the scripture is based on whether or not we like the leader, or whether or not s/he is a good leader.
Of course prayer is key - but not all authority is used in a godly way. We can and should stand up to that.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The fact that America is still standing proves people were praying for President Obama. Some people, however, felt he was so perfect he didn't need prayer.
...none of which would explain why those Scriptures that are being pushed by some parts of the Church so fiercely these days were pretty much...absent for 8 years until Jan. of 2017. :wave:
tulc(guesses it's going to remain a mystery for now) :sigh:

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I hadn’t heard that before. Thanks. I needed an early morning laugh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You must have missed all the threads that I remember participating in over 2 years ago that centered on those Scriptures and how Mr. Obama was therefore to be considered Our President. Those verses were very much present here and being quoted in abundance when the now EX President 's actions were questioned. Funnily enough, many of those that insisted that the proper way for us to think of Mr. Obama was as Our President, whether we agreed with what he was doing or not , have come to the conclusion that Mr.. Trump is "Not My President." and many of those that came to that conclusion did so before he was even sworn into office or embarked upon even one instance of using the power of the Presidency.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...none of which would explain why those Scriptures that are being pushed by some parts of the Church so fiercely these days were pretty much...absent for 8 years until Jan. of 2017. :wave:
tulc(guesses it's going to remain a mystery for now) :sigh:
I respectfully disagree with you. Those scriptures were referred to during the previous administration. Maybe you didn't notice it because you were happy with Pres. Obama? Could it be that you don't want anyone to pray for President Trump?

Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course prayer is key - but not all authority is used in a godly way. We can and should stand up to that.
So I can read it for myself, where is that directive in scripture?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So i can read it for myself, where is that directive in sctipture?
We have the closest government to what God wanted for Israel. We have judges, not a king. We have a covenant with our government officials, that is the Constitution of the US.
We elect our representatives to uphold that Constitution. It is there that one will find that we, as a citizen, have certain rights. One of those rights is to speak out against, or in praise, of those representing us. It's even our duty to do so.
If one believes that God creates nations and sets authorities over that nation I think that means that the Founding Fathers were those authorities, the very men who wrote the Constitution. Heaven forbid that our nation ever falls prey to any other type of government.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are unsure of what to pray for the president, here are some starting points:
  • Pray for the summit with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un in Singapore on Tuesday. For God’s will to be done on earth as it is in Heaven (Matthew 6:10).
  • Pray for his salvation, that he be filled with the Holy Spirit.
  • Pray that his eyes be opened so that he sees, that his ears be opened so that he hears from God, and pray that his heart is opened so that he understands.
  • Pray for maturity in his position.
  • Pray that the Holy Spirit infiltrates his every decision.
  • Pray that God gives him spiritual wisdom.
  • Pray that President Trump is consistently surrounded by God-fearing, praying men and women.
  • Pray that God gives him strength to follow through with Godly decisions, even in the face of much opposition.
  • Pray for his safety.
  • Pray for Truth to sweep our nation, that the blinders be removed from God’s people, and that the Holy Spirit will permeate and saturate this nation in a way that those of us living in this day have never seen.
I cannot imagine why any Christian would be opposed to that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must have missed all the threads that I remember participating in over 2 years ago that centered on those Scriptures and how Mr. Obama was therefore to be considered Our President. Those verses were very much present here and being quoted in abundance when the now EX President 's actions were questioned. Funnily enough, many of those that insisted that the proper way for us to think of Mr. Obama was as Our President, whether we agreed with what he was doing or not , have come to the conclusion that Mr.. Trump is "Not My President." and many of those that came to that conclusion did so before he was even sworn into office or embarked upon even one instance of using the power of the Presidency.
Since I'm not actually a "He's not my President" I'm not sure why you feel I needed reminding, but okay. I remember several thread where those Scriptures were mentioned, I also remember all the excuses people offered to explain why they didn't apply to President Obama. :)
tulc(some of those were pretty...creative to say the least) :sorry:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I respectfully disagree with you. Those scriptures were referred to during the previous administration. Maybe you didn't notice it because you were happy with Pres. Obama?
No, I'm pretty sure I'd remember that sort of thing. That's why it struck me so odd when they were mentioned pretty much everywhere in Jan 2017. :wave:

Could it be that you don't want anyone to pray for President Trump?
...or it could be I noticed how suddenly those Scriptures, that I thought were missing for 8 years were now being quoted. A lot. Yeah, I think that's the more likely thing. :)
tulc(is off to do a lot of dishes) :)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The President of the United States is not a king. The Constitution however, is the supreme law of the land, and therefore the authority. Whether it's Obama or Trump, they are not above that law and need to be held accountable should they choose to break it.

Upvote 0