Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The children of Israel were baptized into Moses, their deliverer, who as God's representative that rescued them from slavery as we are baptized By The Holy Spirit into Jesus who is our deliverer and rescuer when we became believers. (I Cor 10:2, Rev 1:5; Cor 12:13; Gal 3:27, II Cor 5;18). The sea refers to the Red Sea.

"And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:" Exo 13:21 He was there continually v 22

The cloud was God's Spirit, the Shekinah Glory of God, all the people saw it. When the cloud stood at the door of the tabernacle, the people worshipped the Lord. On Mount Sinai, Moses stayed in the cloud 40 days and nights. The cloud covered the tabernacle and the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle. They moved when the cloud moved. The pillar of fire gave them lit by night. The pillar was always before them leading the way and He spoke to them from the cloud (Exo, Num).

Looked at those 50 chapters about the tabernacle several yrs ago

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Looked at those 50 chapters about the tabernacle several yrs ago
A perfect lead in to where I was headed with this thread.
A model for the Christian walk?

Numbers 9:
Now on the day that the tabernacle was raised up, the cloud covered the tabernacle,
the tent of the Testimony; from evening until morning it was above the tabernacle like
the appearance of fire.
16 So it was always: the cloud covered it by day, and the appearance of fire by night.
17 Whenever the cloud was taken up from above the tabernacle, after that the children
of Israel would journey; and in the place where the cloud settled, there the children of Israel
would pitch their tents.
18 At the command of the Lord the children of Israel would journey, and at the
command of the Lord they would camp; as long as the cloud stayed above the tabernacle
they remained encamped.
19 Even when the cloud continued long
, many days above the tabernacle, the children of Israel
kept the charge of the Lord and did not journey.
20 So it was, when the cloud was above the tabernacle a few days: according to the command
of the Lord they would remain encamped, and according to the command of the Lord
they would journey
21 So it was, when the cloud remained only from evening until morning: when the cloud
was taken up in the morning, then they would journey; whether by day or by night,
whenever the cloud was taken up, they would journey.

22 Whether it was two days, a month, or a year that the cloud remained above the tabernacle,
the children of Israel would remain encamped and not journey; but when it was taken up, they would journey.
23 At the command of the Lord they remained encamped, and at the command of the Lord they journeyed; they kept the charge of the Lord, at the command of the Lord by the hand of Moses.

One might think that The Spirit was trying to make an emphatic point here?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Interested in the lessons
The construction of the tabernacle is particularly interesting.
I am almost certain that the interlocking slates that modern floor tile uses fit the description
of the boards and floor planks of the tabernacle.
What was truly amazing is that they could break it down and load it on carts so quickly and advance.
Only the Ark and the other furnishings of the sanctuary were carried upon the shoulders of the priests. Still learning lessons from Bemidbar. Just posted lessons on Caleb from that book yesterday.
Good to hear you study all the testimony for revelations from God's Work.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Found it very interesting The interlocking floor idea is quite insightful. Yes Num 5 is definitely trying to help us realize that He will lead us. Thanks for posting those Scriptures. Think it's a shame the way some disregard the OT. There's so much that can be learned from those books including the 50 chapers.

Wondered about- they worshipped when the cloud was at the door. Does that mean they didn't at other times? Since they could see the cloud all the time, did His presence seem "normal" after a time? But before I point my finger- same with me - He's in us.

Also, some say that the tent of meeting was the tabernacle. I don't see that for a number of reasons - it was outside the camp while the tribes were around the tabernacle, anyone could go and inquire of the Lord which contrast with just Aaron and his sons at the tabernacle. The time and procedures in the tabernacle were very structured but didn't apply to the tent of meeting. Anyone could go in but the Lord talked to Moses from the cloud face to face in the tent of meeting. After Moses returned to camp, Joshua remained. Did the cloud remain? If so, he was spending time in the presence of the Lord. Wonder if that enabled him to be their next leader? Exo 33 Or did Joshua honor the presence of the Lord more than others?

Was the tent of meeting the tabernacle?

(Jesus is our High Priest).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 10:
Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers
were under the cloud, all passed through the sea,
2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea..

2 Timothy 3:16. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable
for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

Exodus 40:38. For the cloud of the Lord was above the tabernacle by day,
and aflame by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel, throughout all their journeys.

What do we learn from the cloud in the wilderness?

to be under the cloud is to be under the law of sin and death .....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me to be under the cloud is to "walk in the Spirit", as in post #4.
Numbers 9:15-23.

to walk in the spirit is to keep the law. Gods law not separate from Himself, it being a law unto life, but when Moses brought it out and down from the cloud it became cast down or a law of sin and death ...

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
to pass through the sea is to wonder about in a wilderness caught between two mountains ...
We are not headed to the land of Canaan. We are strangers and sojourners, dwelling "in tents",
even as the Rechabites. As A, I & J.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are not headed to the land of Canaan. We are strangers and sojourners, dwelling "in tents",
even as the Rechabites. As A, I & J.

Moses never made it into the land of promise, he saw it but never entered into what he saw ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love does not behave itself unseemly, seeks not her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil.

For sin, seizing its opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through the commandment put me to death.

love is the fulfilment of the law ... Jesus being our example

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Besides the cloud was the Lord (Scriptures already posted).

Couple other interesting notes - The high priest made atonement for himself and his household first then the people (Lev 16). Also, seems like the high priest couldn't be seen on the Day of Atonement in the Holy of Holies but couldn't find that Scripture.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Besides the cloud was the Lord (Scriptures already posted).

Couple other interesting notes - The high priest made atonement for himself and his household first then the people (Lev 16). Also, seems like the high priest couldn't be seen on the Day of Atonement in the Holy of Holies but couldn't find that Scripture.
I think you may be referring to this:
v. 13 And he shall put the incense on the fire before the Lord, that the cloud of incense
may conceal the Ark cover on the Testimony, lest he die.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟415,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A perfect lead in to where I was headed with this thread.
A model for the Christian walk?

Numbers 9:
Now on the day that the tabernacle was raised up, the cloud covered the tabernacle,
the tent of the Testimony; from evening until morning it was above the tabernacle like
the appearance of fire.
16 So it was always: the cloud covered it by day, and the appearance of fire by night.
17 Whenever the cloud was taken up from above the tabernacle, after that the children
of Israel would journey; and in the place where the cloud settled, there the children of Israel
would pitch their tents.
At the command of the Lord the children of Israel would journey, and at the
command of the Lord they would camp; as long as the cloud stayed above the tabernacle

they remained encamped.
19 Even when the cloud continued long
, many days above the tabernacle, the children of Israel
kept the charge of the Lord and did not journey.
20 So it was, when the cloud was above the tabernacle a few days: according to the command
of the Lord they would remain encamped, and according to the command of the Lord
they would journey
21 So it was, when the cloud remained only from evening until morning: when the cloud
was taken up in the morning, then they would journey; whether by day or by night,
whenever the cloud was taken up, they would journey.
Whether it was two days, a month, or a year that the cloud remained above the tabernacle,
the children of Israel would remain encamped and not journey; but when it was taken up, they would journey.
23 At the command of the Lord they remained encamped, and at the command of the Lord they journeyed; they kept the charge of the Lord, at the command of the Lord by the hand of Moses.

One might think that The Spirit was trying to make an emphatic point here?

taught them to wait on the Lord and some probably learned not to worry while waiting.

the lord is shady? Ha. The lords overcast?

he has a steady awesome physical presence where you can feel his peace and be secure. Things that are important to me.

you really would be walking with the Lord. He protected them. Nothing bad happened accept we they didn’t believe and disobeyed. It must have been hard to sleep at night. Do you think they had diseases in the wilderness?

Upvote 0