✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Introduction To Proverbs

The Hebrew title, "The Proverbs of Solomon," credits this book to Solomon, succeeded David his father on the throne in Israel about 970 B.C. Two additional references, 10:1 and 25:1, identify Solomon as the author of most of the proverbs in this collection.

The statement in 25:1 that chapters 25-29 were added to the existing collection during the reign of Hezekiah indicates that the book in its present form was not completed before about 700 B.C. ~Amplified Bible~

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Value of Wise Sayings
Prov 1:1-6

The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel: (V 1)

Solomon, in my opinion was someone who had an extensive amount of knowledge regarding knowing and doing the right thing, but did not apply that knowledg to his own life...at least not consistently. He made some keenly observent decisions, and he also made some really bad ones. Quite likely, a lot of his observations came "after-the-fact", meaning he learned the right way by doing it the wrong way. I'm sure he learned things from his mother as well as his father, but did not necessarily walk accordingly.

to acquire wisdom and discipline, to understand the words of insight, (V 2)

Solomon was considered a sage and a poet . Thankfully, he wrote down his observations and we are able to read them so that hopefully we will not just know, but also do what is right.

Discipline is described by Paul in 1 Cor 9:24-27

24 Don’t you know that in a stadium the runners all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win! 25 Every competitor exercises self-control in all respects. They do it to receive a perishable crown, but we do it to receive an imperishable one. 26 So I run in this way—not aimlessly. So I box in this way—not beating the air. 27 Rather, I punish my body and bring it into submission, so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.
By punishing his body Paul is talking about denying his flesh it's ungodly desires. This is to "tame" the flesh and bring it into submission to what is good and right vs whatever it wants.

To understand...To not be confused. To comprehend the true nature, like when we're fighting with each other, the true sourse behind it all is not flesh and blood, but against the spiritual forces of wickedness in heavenly places. (See Eph 6:12) We tame our flesh by not demanding our own way and being willing to give deference to our brothes and sisters in the Lord.

to receive instruction in wise behavior, righteousness, justice and fairness, to give discernment to the naïve, knowledge and discretion to the youth (V 3-4)

To learn the correct way to behave in any situation. How often we ask ourselves, "What do I do"? Or, "I did not know what to do."

God has made sure the answer was written down in His word, just a great deal of the time, we don't know the word well enough, or we don't stop to consider it. We just plow full speed ahead doing whatever comes naturally or we are frozen and don't do anything. Note: seeking God's face is diong something. But don't just wait for a "voice" from heaven to tell you wnat to do, ask Him to bring to your remembrance some event or statement in scripture (kept in it's context) that the bottom line could be applied to your particular situation.

(let the wise listen and increase learning and the discerning obtain wise counsel) to understand a proverb and a puzzle, the sayings of the wise and their riddles. (V 5-6)

If you're already good at knowing AND doing what is right, continue learning. We will never be too good at it to relax and let down our guard. Reinforce what you know and get even stronger in it. When you don't understand a proverb or a puzzle in scripture, continue searching understanding. All the time my understandings changes. It's not necessarily that I was initially wrong, although I may have been, it's a deeper understanding which causes me to re-evaluate my conclusions.

Wisdom and insight is important. So important that Yeshua (the Hebrew name of Jesus) told a parable about it.

The parable of a wise man and a foolish man (see Matt 7:24-27) who each built a house. The wise man built his house on a rock and the foolish man build his house upon the sand.

The rock represents God and His word (Yeshua exampled what is written down for us). The rock is God's ways and standards. The sand represents the world system and doing it the worlds way and in accordance to their own weak and flawed understandings.

The "house" represents ourselves, our spiritual walk. The material we use, real solid wood or feaux. Long, strong nails or short nails used for picture frames. Whether we take the time to do the job right or do it "good-enough".

The wise man not only built his house strong, but he built it on a strong foundation. A rock (God) which is imovable (1 Sam 15:29). When the storms came (sickness, death, failure, depression, loved ones turning their backs on God, etc..) while the house may suffer some wear and tear, the foundation was strong and firm and did not move. It would not slide down the mountain into the sea.

The foolish builder, not so much. His house not only fell apart during the storms but the foundation of his house washed away with the sea.

To acquire wisdom, dicipline, understanding of the words of insight, receive instruction in how to behave, righteousness, justice, fairness, being able to help others discern, giving knowledge and discretion to the youth, continuing to listen and increase in learning yourself, discerning and obtaining wise counsil, coming to understand a proverb and things that puzzle you, and the sayings of the wise and their riddles.

All these are building materials for our house being built on the Rock.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Wisdom of Parents
Prov 1:7-9

The fear of Adonai is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. (V 7)

Adonai, אדני
Read from right to left and meaning Master, Lord, LORD. For the believer (a person who has put their faith and trust in the shed blood of Yeshua for their salvation) the "fear" of God is "reverence of God". For the unbeliever it is totally different. For them it's a terror of God and His judgements. See Got Questions.

When we come to know God and learn of Him and commune with Him, there comes a reverence. Knowing that He's the King of the Universe, the Creator of heaven and earth. He created us for fellowship with Him and someday we will join with Him in the glories of His Kingdom and be with him eternally.

He is our Master. He owns us. He does not beat us and terrorize. He sent His Son to live out His words for us and to show us how to accomplish living it and then His Son became the sacrifice for our sins so that we would no longer be judged according to them but be judged only by the blood of the Sons sacrifice covering our sins.

When we come to that understanding of HIM (HE's God, Almighty Master and LORD), revering Him, being in great awe and not teating him like He's just our "buddy", we are then beginning to have that reverential fear that begins the beginning of knowledge.

Foolish people despise such ideas though. They despise wisdom and discipline.

Hear, my son, your father’s instruction and forsake not your mother’s teaching. For they are a garland of grace for your head and a chain to adorn your neck. (V 8-9)

Solomon was the son of David and Bathsheba. Thay were together due to an act of lust which led to adultery, then to murder. There were many problems in the household. While Solomon was not a perfect individual, when he began to search for God, and seek Him. God used him through his upbringing...good and bad.

The two people in the world who want you to have the best of everything are your mother and father. The instructions they are trying to get you to heed are to save you headache and troubles. They have your welfare at heart. Accept their instructions so that you can gain from their experience and not have to make the same mistakes they have already made. They wish you only good, not evil.

My son begins the first of 10 similar discourses in which the father appeals to the son to listen to his counsel and choose wisdom over folly. The mention of the Mother shows that the original setting of the book was the home, not the court or school.

The greatest gift a parent can give to a child is the gift of good moral teaching. This "grace" above, I believe, is just that. These parents have set high moral standards and passed them on to their children.

Chains about thy neck: refers to an adornment or thing of beauty in one’s life. ~Bible-Study.org~
Like Solomon's parents, our parent's are/were not perfect. Some are great and did a very good job raising us. Some, had their own issues and allowed those issues to rule them. Then some, well, let's just say it's good that we're still here.

We can learn from these situations, all of them. We can learn to be good parents to our children. We can repeat mistakes and abuses or we can learn what not to do and not do it. So whatever the "instruction" or "teaching" is/was from your mother and father, learn from it. Most of all, run after the heart of your Heavenly Father, who IS perfect, holy, and righteous, and loves you very much.

Gpd, our Heavenly Father fills the role of a Perfect Father perfectly. Embracing His instructions and teachings will fill any and all holes that may have been left by our earthly parents.

There are many lessons we can learn from the life of Solomon. First, when we seek God with all of our heart, He will be found (1 Kings 3:3–7). Second, those who honor God will be honored by Him (1 Kings 3:11–13; 1 Samuel 2:30). Third, God will equip us to accomplish the tasks He calls us to if we will rely on Him (1 Kings 3; Romans 12:3–8; 2 Peter 1:3). Fourth, the spiritual life is a marathon, not a sprint. A good start is not always enough to finish well (1 Kings 3; 11). Fifth, we can sincerely ask God to incline our hearts toward Him (1 Kings 8:57–58), but we will wander off the path of righteousness if we choose to violate His revealed Word. Sixth, those closest to us will affect our spiritual lives (Exodus 34:16; 1 Kings 11:1–8; Daniel 1; 3; 1 Corinthians 15:33), and we must therefore be very careful of the company we keep. Seventh, life lived apart from God will be meaningless, regardless of education, fulfilled goals, the greatest of pleasures, and the greatest abundance of wealth (Ecclesiastes 1:2). ~Got Questions~

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hanging With Carousing People
Prov 1:10-19

My son, if sinners entice you, do not give in. Suppose they say: “Come with us! Let’s lie in wait for blood! Let’s ambush the innocent—for no reason! Let’s swallow them alive like Sheol—still healthy, as they go down to the Pit! We’ll find all sorts of valuable things, we’ll fill our homes with loot! Throw your lot in with us—we’ll all have one wallet.” My son, do not go along with them, keep your foot from their path—for their feet run to evil and they are swift to shed blood. (V 10-16)

This was quite possibly taught to Solomon when he was in his teens and subject to running all over his fathers kindom and becoming friends with the hoodlums of the kindom. Some of his mom and dads friends kids. Who knows what mischief one can get in to when you're the heir to the throne. They had rioters and muggers, murderers, and thieves even then.

It's easy to get caught up with doing the same things our friend are so we need to be careful who we become friends with. Being friendly is not bad but once they suggest yo'll do something that you know is not right, it's time to part.

Maybe you can still be friends, but don't participate with them in evil activities. Be strong, and walk away as soon as you realize it's about to go bad and you'll be caught up in it with them. Be choosy of your friends. That's a lesson to the young and the older.

Surely it is useless to spread a net in the eyes of all winged creatures! But they lie in wait for their own blood. They ambush their own lives. Such is the fate of all gaining by violence. It takes the life of its possessor. (V 17-19)

Our enemy, the evil one has set traps for us to intice us into situations that will compromise us and our walk with God. The enemy sends people our way who will try and get us into joining wiht them in their evil activities. However, our Father God, gives us the wisdom and strength to maneuver our way through (Ps 119:105) When we don't follow the light of HIS word (scriptures) we will be caught in the trap. We may get away with it at first but if we continue in it we will be trapped.

If you find yourself trapped, you cannot blame God, you can only blame yourself. God supplied you with the tools to not get caught but you chose to not use them. God is there to deliver you though, repent, and from there do what is right.

See Paul's letter to the Galations. :) The letter is all about what our behavior is to be.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Wisdom Calls
Prov 1:20-33

Wisdom calls aloud in the streets, she raises her voice in public squares. She cries out above the commotion. At the entrances of the city gates, she utters her speech: (V 20-21)

Wisdom, portrayed as a woman is in the streets and raising her voice in public places, calling out for listeners. She's not hiding. She's at the gates and the public squares, where all the action is. The places where everyone has to go on a daily basis.
“How long will you naïve ones love simplicity, you scoffers delight in scoffing, and you fools hate knowledge? You are repulsed at my rebuke. Behold, I pour out my heart to you. I will make my words known to you. (V 22-23)

She (Wisdom) addresses specifically the naive, the scoffers, and the fools. Even though they hate knowledge, and are repulsed by her rebuke it's obvious that she does not view them as hopeless. She continues to pour out her heart to them, and vows that God provides them with the capacity for wisdom but they must choose it. Their bad situations will change if they do.

They should know by now that their unhappy situations are due to their foolishness, "How long"? She continues to cry out.

Because you refused when I called, and did not pay attention when I stretched out my hand, since you ignore all my advice and would not accept my rebuke, I in turn will laugh at your calamity. I will mock when dread comes on you, when your terror comes like a storm and your calamity sweeps over you like a whirlwind, when trouble and distress overwhelm you! (V 24-27)

"Refused" implies they can choose: They are NOT born that way, to remain naive, or remain a scoffer, or to reman foolish. Within foolishness are the seeds of destruction. Foolish choices automatically have destructive consequences, not only our situations, but our emotions. It has nothing to do with God judging, it's like the law of gravity...what goes up, must come down. Foolish choices = destruction.

Then they will cry out to me, but I will not answer! They will earnestly seek me, but will not find me. Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of Adonai, they would not accept my counsel, they spurned all my reproof, so they will eat the fruit of their own way and be filled with their own schemes. (V 28-31)

For the backsliding of the naïve will kill them and the complacency of fools will destroy them. But whoever pays attention to me will live securely, and be free from the fear of evil.” (32-33)

"Then they will cry out but I will not answer". Is it too late? She continues to have hope of repentance. She's not saying "It's over" but that it soon will be. She's hoping that some will still hear and come. She did not come to destroy but to save.

Paying attention involves more than just "hearing", it also includes "doing". Whoever pays attention, hears. and responds, those are the one's who will live securely in their relationship with God (evem of things around them are not perfect) and be free from the fear of the evil one and all the spiritual havoc that follows it. It's not about never struggling ever again and life is now all sunshine and lollipops but that now you will have God's help and the self-destruct will stop...as long as we listen. There is great hope for the one who listens.

Again, I'm reminded of Paul's letter to the Galations. He begged them, those who were participating in things that were evil to stop. He gave them examples of how they should live. Perhaps they began to study the book of Proverbs after that. After all, the older testiment was the only scriptures they had. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Going On A Treasure Hunt
Prov 2

My son, if you accept my words and treasure my mitzvot within you, making your ear attentive to wisdom, inclining your heart to discernment, yes, if you call out for insight, lifting up your voice for discernment, if you seek her as silver and search for her as for hidden treasures, then you will know the fear of Adonai and discover the knowledge of God. (V 1-5)

If we accept God's words and treasure the Holiness and set-apartness that He has put within us to cause us to be attentive to wisdom, when we call out to Him for discernment and seek it as if it were a million dollars we will find it. We should value it above all else.

God's word is to be hidden in our heart (Ps 119:11) For a person to sucessfully live as God desires, they must know what God desires. If we receive into our being the wisdom of God and hide it in our hearts, applying it (not just memorizing) we will do the things that God expects. It will pour out of us automatically. See Phil 2:13.

For Adonai gives wisdom. Out of His mouth comes knowledge and understanding. He stores up sound wisdom for the upright. He is a shield to those who walk in integrity. He guards the paths of justice, and protects the way of His kedoshim (()). Then you will discern what is right and just and fair—every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. (V 6-10)

Wisdom is a gift from God. (Jms 1:5) Knowledge does not come from us or anyone other than God. All those other books may inform us things, but wisdom only comes from God. HE stores it up especially for those who are walking and living in righteousness. Of course, we are made righteous through the shed blood of Yeshua, but one who is truly depending on Him begins to walk as someone who is seperated unto Him. (1 Cor 2:16) They don't just do whatever they want to.

God is a shield for those who walk in integrity. HE guards and guides HIS set-apart one's...those who trust and obey wisdoms instructions. Only then are we able to truly discern what is right and just. (2 Thess 3:3; Rom 8:28)

Discretion will watch over you -discernment will guard you—to deliver you from the way of evil, from those speaking perverse things, who leave the straight paths to walk in ways of darkness, who rejoice in doing wrong and delight in the perversity of evil, whose paths are crooked and are devious in their ways— to deliver you from a seducing woman—a wayward wife with seductive words, who forsakes the partner of her youth and forgets the covenant of her God. For her house sinks down to death and her tracks to the dead. None who go to her return nor reach the paths of life. (V 10-19)

When wisdom enters our heart and we treasure the knowledge of it, we will have great atvantage. Working knowledge and understanding of God's word will keep you from making mistakes. The answer to all of life's problems are found in God's word. Those who trust in it are kept in perfect peace (IS 26:3).

When anyone rises up againt you and speaks lies about you, if you have done nothing wrong you can be rest assured that God will deliver you as long as you put your trust in HIM and don't try to fenagle your way thorugh it without doing it the way HE says.

HE will deliver you from being seduced and being led into a perverse and adulterous relationship. No-one who gives into sexual deviance and refuses to listen and follow wisdom is able to return nor reach the paths of life. Thankfully, if we call out to HIM for help, and act on the strength HE gives you, HE will help. (2 Tim 2:22)

So you will walk in the way of good men and keep to the paths of the righteous. For the upright will dwell in the land and the blameless will remain in it. But the wicked will be cut off from the land and the treacherous uprooted from it. (V 20-22)

It's our choice to live the way of the world or the way of Yeshua. Only those who keep (Heb 12:1-2) to the path of righteousness will be allowed to remain under God's protection, But the wicked will be cut off from having any peace and the treacherous uprooted (like pulling weeds) from it.

The link below has some good info on how to "treasure hunt" the Word of God.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Wisdom Is A Blessing
Prov 3:1-10

My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my mitzvot. For length of days and years of life, and shalom they will add to you. (V 1-2)

How easily we tend to forget the teachings of the wisdom in God's instructions as we go about our day. That's why God told the initial hearers to "Bind them as a sign on your hand, they are to be as frontlets between your eyes, and write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates". (Deut 6:8-9) Do whatever you have to in order to remind yourself how to behave.

That's kind of what our WWJD bracelets are for, to remind us "What would Jesus Do?". Only, many have no clue what Jesus would really do, so it's "just a cool thing to wear and maybe you'll get to witness". Only, maybe you completely ignore it AND the Spirit inside you sending off those warning bells and your witness is blown because you don't act like Jesus would of at all.

When we remember God's instructions and follow them with our heart there will be days and years of life AND peace added to our life. If your heart ain't in it, still make your flesh do what is right. If you love God, your heart will eventually follow. Remember what Paul says in 1 Cor 9:24-27.

If we claim that we are followers of Yeshua/Jesus, we should live like it. Again, I refer you to Paul's letter to the Galations. WWJD?

Let kindness and truth never leave you—bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will gain favor and a good name in the eyes of God and man. (V 3-4)

Kindness and truth. Bind them around your neck and write them on the tablet of your heart. Do what you have to do to not forget, to be constantly reminded of what the right thing to do is. And if you don't know what the right thing is ask God AND get into His word so that you automatically know.

First of all "be kind". Treat others the way you would like to be treated. Don't take the attitude that "nobody's nice to me so to heck with it". You be kind. And truthful. That would be of course truthfull according to God's truth not your truth which really just equals your opinion based on just their petty annoyances that we're irked with. God's truth speaks life, not death.

Let kindness and truth never leave you and you will gain favor and a good name in the eyes of God and man.

Trust in Adonai with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear Adonai and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your body
and refreshment to your bones.
(V 5-8)

Trust in Adonai. Adonai is our Master, or lord, and our LORD. He has our welbeing in mind. He knows what is good and right for us and guides us in all our ways as we "trust" Him. He will never fail us. Of clurse He also may not give us all the things we ask for because we're asking for these things out of selfishness or pride, or lack of understanding, etc.. But, we can trust that He WILL give us everything that we NEED. Trust and not getting in the way by trying to take care of it in our own efferts can cause some issues though. I know, I've been there, done that.

That does not mean that you just sit there waiting and not do what comes your way that will help you and not work against what God instructs. Some hings we find to "do" are beneficial and others just get us into more trouble. I know, I've been there and done that.

Don't be wise in your own eyes thinking you've got the perfect plan. Does it follow God's instructions? If it's even jsut a wee bit off, don't do it. Other people around you, even those who claim to be Christian may poke you and prod you that you should do this or that and they may mock you and tell you how dumb you are to not do it, whatever the it is, but if you know in your heart that it is not following God's will for you and God has told you not to do it, then don't you do it. Stand your ground, it will be painful but being obedient to God will save you feom even more heartache and stupid mistakes. It will be healing to your body and refreshment to your bones. I know, I've been there and done that. :)

Honor Adonai with your wealth and with the first of your entire harvest. Then your barns will be filled with plenty, your vats will overflow with new wine. (V 9-10)

Honor Adonai with your wealth. Wealth is whatever and all that you have and increase in In that time this was written, the first of their harvest was wheat, barley, fruit, vegtibles, etc.. The idea is to be thankful by sharing. They gave it to God in the temple, and the Levites. who were totally supported by the people lived solely off what the people gave. The Levites were not allowed to hold outside jobs, or have their own land, etc.. Their function in the community was to serve in the temple. Period. If the people did not give, the Levites were not able to eat. So the people gave.

Whatever situation you are in you are able to give in some way. Ask God to show you in what way you can give so that you can honor Him. Then step out and do what He says. By doing so it says, "Then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats willoverflow with new wine. IOW You'll have more than enough with whatever it is that you NEED.

You do have to be consistent though. As in Paul's example of boxing and running, the boxer and runner does not have immediate results but it comes with time and consistency and trust that Adonai is your Rest and your Peace. Bring that flesh into submission to God's will and ways. It's the only way to truly grow-up in HIM.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Adonai's Discipline
Prov 3:11-12

My son, never despise Adonai’s discipline or dread His correction. For Adonai loves those He reproves, even as a father, the son in whom he delights. (v 11-12)

The word discipline can conjure up so many different images for each person. So far we've been told to apply self-discipline in regards to controling our "urges" to participate in self-destructive behavior and to instead guide and bring our bodies into submission so as to not just run but win the race to the finish line. (1 Cor 9:24-27; 2 Tim 4:7-8; Gal 2:2; Phil 2:16; Phil 3:14; Heb 12:1; Heb 12:2) as well as all that we've read so far in Proverbs.

Now the discipline of a loving Father is mentioned. That too brings up a lot of different images. Solomon specifically say's "Adonai's" discipline. Adonai is not just our Master, He is our Father. A loving Father, A Good Father. He is someone we can approach without fear of being beat or screamed at. He supplies all of our needs as we need them. (Phil 4:19)

The Lord's discipline usually involves allowing us to reap what we've done despite His guidance otherwise. It's our trying to finagle or manipulate things that often gets in the way of the delivery of His supply. Generally, we have to sit for awhile in the messes we get ourselves into so that hopefully we can think for awhile about why what happened happend and the next time, we hopefully choose the better route.

We are not to despise Andonai's discipline. We are not to shake our fists at God and scream and growl and grumble about how He should have protected us from that "whatever" because we do yada, yada, yada for Him, and HOW DARE YOU, God! (*cough, cough). With all HE did for us we certaintly have nothing to shake our fists about at Adonai.

As read so far, and as Paul writes in Galations, we are where we ard due to our OWN choices. Our Good Father, is patiently waiting for us to bring it to Him. First we repent for our rebellion aginst Him, then we wait on His guidence on how to get through the mess that we've created and come out it It's really quite simple, yet not necessarily quick. God does not just "pay our bail" for us.

Adonai does these things because HE delights in us. He adores us and want to see us become mature in Him. He gave His only Son to die for us so that we could spend eternity with Him...all that before we even came to Him. He's all that we need and will ever need. Don't despise His discipline, it's makeing you a better person for Him to spend eternity with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Wisdom, Our Confidence
Prov 3:13-26

Happy is the man who finds wisdom and the man who gains understanding. For her trade-value is better than silver, and her yield better than fine gold. She is more precious than jewels and nothing you desire compares to her. (V 13-15)

The person, man or woman who finds wisdom and treats it like a treasure they just found in the ground will have understading that guides their decisions in life. They will be happy.

Isn't that what most, if not all people want? To be happy? The trade-in value of foolishness for wisdom is better than silver and will yield more happiness than gold. Silver and gold (things) bring temporary happiness, temporary feelings of safety and self-assurance. Nothing we can wish for compares with wisdom.

Length of days is in her right hand. In her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are pleasant ways, and all of her paths are shalom. She is a tree of life to those who embrace her, and blessed will be all who hold firmly to her. (V16-18)

With one hand wisdom gives long life, with the other there are riches and honor. We enjoy our decisions when made using wisdom, and we are at peace, not in constant turmoil. She is a tree of life. When we make wise choices and take foolesh chances, and don't get ourselves tangled up in messes and stresses of the world, we will live longer...and happier.

By wisdom Adonai founded the earth. By understanding He established the heavens. By His knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds drip dew. (V19-20)

John 1:1-5 In the beginning was the Word. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things were made through Him, and apart from Him nothing was made that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overpowered it.

Yeshua is wisdom (1 Cor 1:26-31) We need to know His word though and call on Him and then do what He says, both in His word and in your spirit. We should never just do whatever seems right to us.

My son, hold on to sound wisdom and discernment, do not let them out of your sight. They will be life to your soul, and an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will walk on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Have no fear of sudden terror, or of the devastation of the wicked when it comes. For Adonai will be your confidence and will keep your foot from a snare. (V21-26)

Wisdom and discernment is important. Finding and holding on to wisdom brings life to our inner self, and is a spiritual ornament around our neck. In that way we will walk on our way of life securely and we will not stumble. When we sleep at night we will be at peace knowing that God is in control.

We don't need to be afraid of when the wicked accuse us, and they will, of things we're not guilty of. Why? Because we're not guilty.

God works all things together for good for those who love Him. (Rom 8:28) I've been unfairly fired but God worked it all out for my good and I reaped blessings above and beyond what I would have received if I'd stayed at that job. Don't panic. Trust God and ask Him for the wisdom you need to do whatever it is you need to do. Trust in HIM.

Adonai is our confidence and He will keep our feet from a snare. We can "take it (God's Word) to the bank".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Right VS Wrong
Prov 3:27-35

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor, “Come back later—I’ll give it tomorrow,” when you have it with you. (V 27-28)

Do good for everyone you possibly can when they have earned it and it is possible to do it now, instead of later. If you have access to that good now, don't tell them, "come back later, I'll give it to you then". It's deplorible to make a person in need wait when you're able to give it now. Think how you would feel in the same situation.

I know there are situations when you might not be able to help in the "now", but if you are able, don't make the person wait. So you're a little inconvenienced. Be kind. Charity is a moral obligation. Share, be generous..

Don't borrow money and not pay it back when you said you would. If you have it sooner, pay it sooner. Postponing it until it's more comfortable for you is not acceptable. That person might have given to you out of their own need, and now are in need of it back.

It's important to note too though, that if you're in need, don't obligate people that you think are able but not helping. That's deplorable too. Trust God, He is your providor.

Do not plot evil against your neighbor while he lives trustfully beside you. (V 29)

Don't devise ways to get the better of your neighbor. He trusts you. Don't say things that may cause others to think poorly of him. Don't be unkind, forgive mistakes and don't plan to get even. If we know about something that will hurt your neighbor, don't remain silent. Give them a "heads-up".

Do not quarrel with a man for no reason —if he has done you no harm. (V 30)

Do not be contentious. Don't argue for arguments sake. Don't question things just to question. Don't do anything for revenge. Don't look for problems where there is no problem. A current example would be some accusing the "soot on the faces from the chimney scene" from Mary Poppins of being racist...it's like "what"? If you're a person who see's something sinister in every little thing, STOP IT! You're causing a quarrel for no reason.

Do not envy a violent man or choose any of his ways. For the devious are detestable to Adonai, but He takes the upright into His confidence. (V 31-32)

The oppressor is a common person. The person who has power and likes to hold it over people. Threatening them, "unless you do such and such', or however they throw their weight around. Don't desire to be in their shoes. There is nothing about an oppressor to be desired.

One who acts contrary to the nature of God is detestable to Adonai. He wants nothing to do with that person. They can always choose to repent of course, but until they do God's hand will not be on that person to guide them in righteousness.

On the other hand, with the upright person, the one who seeks God's heart and seeks to know what is the right way to go, God, will take into HIS confidence. They will be able to rest in peace and safety and be secure in their relationship with Adonai.

Adonai’s curse is on a wicked house, but He blesses a righteous home. (V 33)

Living contrary to God's ways and teaching your family to live this way as well causes His hand of blessing to be withdrawn from the home and when His blessings are withdrawn, there is nothing but curses left. This does not necessarily play out as an affliction but whatever their outward circumstances are God will not be looking at them in favor. I think we see this play out in many famous families where the parents are both of the violent sort, screaming and cursing and their children "follow suit". There is no peace in the home.

On the other hand, the home of righteous leadership is blessed. Not necessarily in outward circumstances of money and fame, etc., but in a peaceful household. That does not mean there is never any stress in the house, but on the whole the family is seeking God and living in peace together.

Though He scoffs at the scoffers, He gives grace to the humble. (V 34)

Adonai scorns scorners. Those who make fun of those who desire to know more of God. Calling them names like, "goody two-shoes" or other degrading terms. Or those who scoff at God Himself, or His ways. Those who make fun of Yeshua and what He did for us. Making films that portray him as homosexual, or promiscuous, etc.. HE resists them and scoffs at their efforts and their plans.

On the other hand :) Adonai gives grace to the humble. Admitting our errors and being teachable is a delight to Him and He freely offers forgiveness.

The wise inherit honor, but fools are held up in disgrace. (V 35)

The one who follows wisely in God's ways will inherit honor in heavenly places. They will have a banquet table spread in their honor in the presence of their enemies. But those who walk in foolishness, ignoring God's directions will end up disgraced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Listen And Remember
Prov 4:1-9

There is a lot of repetition in these scriptures. Why? Because God wants us to remember what we're hearing. God told the Israelite people to bind it to their foreheads and their hands and to have tzitzit hanging from their clothes (like our WWJD bracelets and other stuff we wear) to remember what He had instructed them.

This was for their safety. They did not see them as "weights" holding them down but as words of armor that shilded to protect their hearts, their inner person from harm. Remember that "breastplate" of righteousness we're supposed to put on? (Eph 6:14) See the Galations teaching. We're supposed to be "wearing" it. Take hold of wisdom and don't let it out of your sight.

Listen, my sons, to a father’s instruction. Pay attention, to gain understanding. For I give you sound learning—do not forsake my instruction. (V 1-2)

As a father, Solomon is instructing his sons, just as his father, David, and his mother, Bathsheba, instructed him. In the same way, through these written words AND through our relationship with Yeshua, we are instructed. His instructions are not burdons but guides, in that when listened to they guide us through the mine field of life.

He does not leave us on our own to figure things out. If we listen, and follow, we will safely navigate around the traps waiting for us to step on. If we find ourselves continuelly stepping on traps then we should run to God, repent, then start learning and listening, and following.

When I was a son to my father, tender and special to my mother, he taught me and said to me: “Lay hold of my words in your heart, keep my commands and you will live! Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget nor turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will guard you. Love her, and she will watch over you. (V 3-6)

A child is never too young to begin learning these things. Make up songs and stories to teach your children or even yourselves these truths. He was told from the beginning to lay hold in your heart the commandments and you will live.

Wisdom and understanding are the most important things in life to hold in one's heart. Don't just learn it, or memorize it. Get understanding too. Understand what the words of wisdom mean. Don't forget them and don't ignore them. In wisdom and understanding you will be guarded. Love and cherish wisdom, Yeshua, and understanding, which we find through Yeshua and don't allow anything to come between you.

Wisdom is supreme—acquire wisdom! With all your acquisitions, get understanding. Prize her, and she will exalt you. She will honor you when you embrace her. She will set a garland of grace on your head. She will give you a crown of glory.” (V 7-9)

In all the tings we go after, our going after fame, money, education, etc., we are to nclude wisdom in all of it. Go after wisdom in the situation and gain understanding. Prize wisdom, Yeshua, above it all and you will be exalted. That's not a promise of fame and fortune here on earth but a promise of your being satisfied with what you have and using it to lift up Yeshua and walking in rightness with Him. Yeshua is our grace and someday we will receive a crown of glory. (Jmes 1:12; 1 Pet 5:4; Rev 3:11)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
How To Walk In The Light
Prov 4:10-27

How often do you think, "God, if I only knew what the right way to go was" or "If I could only hear God's voice and be certain that it's actually His voice that I'm hearing". It IS possible.

Yet we have all kinds of odd doctrines coming up and being taught and people don't know that those odd doctrines are not Biblical at all. :sigh:

Let us learn from the NT believers...specifically the Bereans. They did not accept Paul's teachings UNTIL they had studied the scriptures (the Tenach was all they had) to find out of what he was staying was true, and he commended them for it. We just will not have the full extent of the Wisdom of Yeshua if we do not revere His words of instructions. We are decieved to think differently.

Listen, my son, and accept my words, so the years of your life will be many. I instructed you in the way of wisdom. I have guided you along straight paths. When you walk, your step will not be hindered, and when you run, you will not stumble. Hold on tightly to instruction, do not let it go—guard it, for it is your life. (V 10-13)

These words of Solomon to his son are words from the heart of Yeshua to His children. He instructs us in the ways of His wisdom and they are written down for us. If you are able to read this teaching on Christian Forums, you have no excuse for not knowing what His instructions are.

He has guided us along straight paths. If we listen, when we walk we will not walk into walls or stumble over things in the way. When we run, we will not catch our foot in a hole or fall over a brick in the path. Don't ever think that "I know all about those already", just you thinking/saying that is clue number one that you don't. Hold on to the teachings tightly.

We can't hold on to something we never take hold of. Take hold of them and don't let them go, refer to them often and repeatedly so that your first response to any situation is to remember what God says.

King David wrote, "Thy word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against You" (Ps 119:11) See also Col 3:16; Heb 4:12; Jms 4:7; 1 John 1:7; Rev 21:8; Col 3:8; Eph 6:12; Eph 4:1-32; Gal 5:16; 1 Cor 6:12; Rom 10:17, just to name a few. Don't forget them. Guard the instructions with your life.

Do not enter the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil people. Avoid it—do not travel on it—turn away from it and pass by. For they cannot sleep until they do evil. They are robbed of sleep until they make someone fall. For they eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence. (V 14-17)

Don't even dip your toes in the water of the wicked. Don't keep friends with evil people. We can't help but speak to people,but be like Paul in that when he was speaking, people would stop and listen and as they listened they would begin to ask questions.

It's not necessary to be weird about it, or stand-offish and snobbish and rude. But don't be "buddy's". You direct the conversation so as to not get onto subjects that are inappropriate.

If they are not interested in the things of God, and keep trying to get you to do things with them (they may or may not be aware of what they are doing) that you know is evil, they will not stop trying until you fall. They do not have your good in mind. Be kind, no lecturing necessary, but don't go in the direction they want.

The path of the righteous is like the light of dawn, shining brighter and brighter until the full day. The way of the wicked is like darkness. They do not know what makes them stumble. (V 18-19)

The path of the righteous is different though. Their path is like when the sun begins to rise in the morning and reveal anything that might have happened during the night.

I remember after spending the night hunckered down during a hurricane, it was in the morning that we could see all the damage. Tree's down everywheree. With the light of God's wisdom, like the sun getting higher in the sky we are able to see more and more clearly. Alll that we could not see before is in full light.

The wicked are in complete darkness and they don't even know what it is that is making them stumble. They are in constant turmoil in their lives and have no understanding as to why. Those of us who walk in His light though, see it all clearly.

My son, pay attention to my words—incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart. For they are life to those who find them and health to their whole body. Guard your heart diligently, for from it flow the springs of life. (V 20-23)

So pay attention. Don't read only self-help books and books "about" scripture. Read the scripture itself and ask God for His guidence, ask Him to speak to your heart and the wisdom of Yeshua will flood your being.

His words are life and those who find them are spiritually healthy and not stumbling around in the dark falling over all that lands in front of them. Guard your heart...what you read, what you watch, what you listen to. You are what you eat. Garbage in garbage out. Guard your heart.

Put away perversity from your mouth, and keep devious lips far from you. Let your eyes look directly ahead, and fix your gaze straight in front of you. Clear a level path for your feet, so all your ways will be firm. Do not turn to the right or to the left.
Divert your foot from evil. (V 24-27)

Don't talk about perverse things, in a perverse manner. Any thinking and discussion on doing things that are not acceptable according to God are perverse. We know what those things are by knowing God's words to us. He's supplied all that we need to learn.

We are to keep our eyes on the goal Remember Paul talking about running the race? (1 Cor 9:24) We can't run and win the race if our eyes are not on the finish line.

Make sure your path of running is cleared of all things that may/will cause you to stumble and fall. Don't turn to the right or the left. In keeping these instructions your footing will be firm. Don't even think that you can do just a little and you'll be fine (Gal 5:9)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
How to Live A Sexually Pure Life
Prov 5

I know that what Solomon says in the following verses is not popular with many people today. However, God does not change (Heb 13:8; Mal 3:6; Jms 1:17; Num 23:19; Is 40:8; Ps 102:25-27; 2 Tim 2::13; Is 40:28; 119:89; Ps 33:11; Ps 90:2; Ps 119:90; Jn 3:16; 1 Tim 1:17).

If our doctrine is different from what the scriptures say, then we are following the wrong instructor, and until we start listening to the Holy Instructor, and repent and turn from our sins we are headed for an earthly misery which then leads to afterlife misery. If you have really been born again, you may be in heaven but you will be considered the "least" in the Kingdom (Matt 5:19)

There is no one ever who has beat God's system. Ever.

My son, pay attention to my wisdom. Incline your ear to my insight, that you may maintain discretion and your lips may preserve knowledge. For a seducing woman’s lips drip honey and her mouth is smoother than oil. But in the end she is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a double-edged sword. Her feet go down to death, her steps lead straight to Sheol. She does not keep straight to the path of life, her paths are crooked—but she does not know it. (V 1-6)

Again we see the command, "Pay attention". Why? So that you will maintain discretion. So that you will be able to exercise authority over the things that come along in order to bring you down. In this passage, Solomon is teaching his son, however, the rule applies to daughters too.

A seducers words and actions drip with honey. They entice, and draw you in with attention paid to you that your spouse has maybe not shown you in awhile. The seducer makes you feel special and wanted. Everybody wants to feel wanted. But in the end those smooth, enticing words turn bitter, like wormwood.

The feet of the seducer walk into death and will take you with them. The seducer's steps lead straight to hell. If not the life in the life to come, the life here and now. Every single person I personally know who fell into the trap of a seducer regretted it bitterly. They lost their dignity, their family, and everything else, even though they may have repented they did indeed suffer as if in hell here on earth.

So now, my sons, listen to me and do not turn aside from the words of my mouth. Keep your path far from her and do not go near the door of her house—lest you give your strength to others and your years to one who is cruel; lest strangers feast on your strength, your labors go to a foreigner’s house. At the end of your life, you will groan, when your flesh and body are spent—and you will say, “How I hated discipline! How my heart spurned reproof! I would not listen to my teacher’s voice or incline my ear to my instructors. I was almost in utter ruin amid the community and congregation.” (V 7-14)

Keep your path far from the place where there is a seducer. If they are in your place of work do whatever you can to steer yourself away. If you have to report the person, do it, or at least let the person know you will report them if they don't stop. There are many ways you can cover yourself these days. If you lose your job over it know that God has your life in mind and you will be rewarded by Him in one way or another.

When we don't listen and follow sound teachings, when we hate discipline, it will bring us to ruin. Much like a runner with the goal in sight but then they stumble and fall and are not able to finish the race.

Drink water from your own cistern and running water from your own well. Should your springs flow in the streets, your streams of water in public squares? Let them be yours alone and not shared with strangers. May your fountain be blessed and may you delight in the wife of your youth. A lovely hind, a graceful doe—may her breasts satisfy you always, may you always be captivated by her love. Why, my son, be captivated by a seducing woman? Why embrace a foreigner’s bosom? (V 15-20)

Love on your own spouse, not someone else's. If you're not married right now, then don't partake of something that is not yours. Be faithful to your spouse. Do what you have to in order to keep the attraction and love alive between you.

Don't use denial of sex as a means of "getting back" at them. Don't do the silent treatment. Don't be abusive and a bully. Remember in Galatians, Paul instructed the husbands and wives on how to treat each other. The husband is to lead the way. Read Galatians for yourself and I encourage you to read the study I gave on Galatians. I'm not a great teacher, but the message from Paul is very clear, even though many today miss it totally.

For a man’s ways are before the eyes of Adonai, and He observes all his paths. The iniquities of a wicked man will ensnare him. The cords of his sin will hold him down. He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly. (V 21-23)

We have no secrets before God. He knows our hearts, our thoughts, and our ways. The sins of a wicked person WILL catch them. The cords of the sin will hold them down, like being strapped to the bed. The person who refuses to listen and follow discipline will die, both spiritually and physically due to their lack of discipline. You can't blame God. "It is appointed unto man to die once, after that, the judgement" (Heb 9:27)

God has made sure that you have everything you need to learn and practice discipline. Of course it's painful, but if you don't, you will be in worse condition. PAY ATTENTION and DO WHAT HE SAYS. He created you so HE should know what is best. He created you to worship him in thought, word, and deed (Jn 4:23)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Economic Entanglements
Prov 6:1-5

My son, if you have become a cosigner for your neighbor, if you have shaken hands in pledge with a stranger, if you are trapped by your own words, ensnared by the words of your mouth, then do this, my son, and free yourself, since you fell into your neighbor’s hand: Go, humble yourself, plead with your neighbor! Allow no sleep to your eyes, nor slumber to your eyelids. Escape like a gazelle from the hunter’s hand, like a bird from the snare of the fowler. (V 1-5)

In Solomon's day it was easy to go from co-signing for someone to help them, to being held responsible for paying the bill if the friend defaulted. It would everntually be the co-signer that the money-lenders eventually came after. They could take your home, your land, and even put you and your family into debtors prison where they were slaves. Solomon compared it to being a bird caught in a trap.

The lending laws of the lenders were strict and they had long abandened the instructions given in Ex 22:25-27. People became slaves and it often took many years, if not a lifetime to work it off. That's why the tax collectors, money-lenders and money-changers were so hated by the people. (See Matt 21:12-13; Jhn 2:13-16; Matt 9:9-13; Mrk 2:13-17;Lke 5:27-32)

Today, we have many lending laws that keep lending money in check but it's still not a perfect system, interest rates are excessive and people find themselves in a financial trap.

Avoid co-signing and taking on someone else's debt. If you already find yourself in this situation humbly approach your friend and urge them to keep keep their obligations and pay them off sooner if possible. Help them in whatever way you have to in order to free yourself from the obligation you made. This would be in keeping with the instructions on giving to those who've asked you (Matt 5:42; Lke 6:30; 2 Cor 9:7).

If a friend asks you to co-sign for them I suggest instead that you help them by offering what you can to help and maybe even ways you are willing to help them raise the money without going into debt. It's just a bad idea to go into debt and also co-sign for a debt.

In this day and age, it's hard to buy a car or a house, or go to school for a trade or even get good credit without going into some sort of debt, It can all too quickly become a trap though. It's not easy keeping a handle on it, it takes wisdom and dicipline. It's a good and right thing to pay your debts and best of all, when possible, not to take them on at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Laziness
Prov 6:6-11

Go to the ant, you slacker—consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler. Yet it prepares its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest.(V 6-8)

Every time I think of this sentence in scripture, "Go to the ant, you slacker", I think of a story called, "The Ant and The Contact Lens":

A true story by Josh and Karen Zarandona
Brenda was a young woman who was invited to go rock climbing. Although she was scared to death, she went with her group to a tremendous granite cliff.

In spite of her fear, she put on the gear, took a hold on the rope, and started up the face of that rock. Well, she got to a ledge where she could take a breather. As she was hanging on there, the safety rope snapped against Brenda’s eye and knocked out her Contact lens. Well, here she is on a rock ledge, with hundreds of feet below Her and hundreds of feet above her. Of course, she looked and looked and looked, hoping it had landed on the ledge, but it just wasn’t there.

Here she was, far from home, her sight now blurry. She was desperate and began to get upset, so she prayed to the Lord to help her to find it. When she got to the top, a friend examined her eye and her clothing for the lens, but there was no contact lens to be found. She sat down, despondent, with the rest of the party, waiting for the rest of them to make it up the face of the cliff.

She looked out across range after range of mountains, thinking of that Bible verse that says, “The eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole Earth.” She thought, “Lord, You can see all these mountains. You know every stone and leaf, and You know exactly where my contact lens is. Please help me.”

Finally, they walked down the trail to the bottom. At the bottom there was a new party of climbers just starting up the face of the cliff. One of them shouted out, “Hey, you guys! Anybody lose a contact lens?”

Well, that would be startling enough, but you know why the climber saw it? An ant was moving slowly across the face of the rock, carrying it!

Brenda told me that her father is a cartoonist. When she told him the incredible story of the ant, the prayer, and the contact lens, he drew a picture of an ant lugging that contact lens with the words, “Lord, I don’t know why you want me to carry this thing. I can’t eat it, and it’s awfully heavy. But if this is what you want me to do, I’ll carry it for you.”

I think it would probably do some of us good to occasionally say, “God, I don’t know why you want me to carry this load. I can see no good in it and It’s awfully heavy. But, if you want me to carry it, I will.”

God doesn’t call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

Josh and Karen Zarandona are not the authors of this item; they’re merely two people whose names became attached to it when they forwarded it on to others. Its original source is the 1995 book Keep a Quiet Heart, by Elisabeth Elliot, where it appeared in a chapter entitled “Lost and Found.” attributes the story to a first-person account sent to her by Brenda Foltz of Princeton, Minnesota, who maintained she wrote it based upon an event that occurred during her first rock-climbing experience. ~Snopes~

"Look at the ant", it says. Consider how hard it works and glean some wisdom from how it works. It works tirelessly. It does not put off until tomorrow what needs to be done today.

The ant does not have a commander or a boss (like in The Bee movie), it just goes about it's ways doing what needs to be done. All the ants together keep it all going, doing what they see needs to be done and it ends up fitting together perfectly with what their neighbor ant is doing.

It prepares ahead of time, while the going is good, then when the going goes bad, it has all it needs to last. You could say it's the original "Prepper". :) It does not wait until the last minute and panic and then horde all the supplies it can.

It's wise to be prepared. No necessarily for what may or may not happen, although that's not a bad idea, but prepared for regular occurrence's. You know winter is coming, so you prepare during the summer. Being prepared is wisdom. This wisdom is applicable in all areas of life.
How long will you lie there, slacker? When will you get up from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep—and your poverty comes like a bandit and your need like an armed man. (V 9-11)

To the slacker Solomon says, "Get out of bed". LOL If you waste time and refuse to work when you are healthy and able then you are a slacker. If you're living off of the government and/or other people when you are able to work but choose not to, you are a slacker.

Maybe you have a physical issue and you're receiving, and receiving, and receiving and not giving ANYTHING back, (there is always SOMETHING)you can do. Don't just receive handouts from your church...offer to clean, cook, garden, guard peoples cars while the people are in church, do woodwork, or whatever it is you can do.

Just to name a few who overcame their disabilities and have accomplished great things and been an inspiration to many:

1. Joni Eareckson Tada, a quadriplegic, paints, sings, leads a radio show, etc., all while in a wheelchair.
  2. Nick Vujicic, a man who was born without arms and legs yet travels around the world giving inspiration to thousands.
  3. Franklin Roosevelt, President of the United States, had polio and was paralyzed.
  4. Steven Hawking, an English theoretical physicist.
  5. Itzhak Perlmanm who at a young age taught himself to play the violin then contacted polio and became paralyzed yet is known as an internationally known violinist and conductor, and winner of more than 12 Grammy awards and numerous Emmys.
  6. Sue Austin, deep sea diving, in a wheelchair.
Whatever it is that you CAN do, do it. Support yourself, and don't depend on others to support you. I know a person who's retired due to some medical issues that caused them to lose their job and to make ends meet they need some government help. In order to feel like they are "earning their keep", they knit hat's and scarves for the homeless. They also try to inspire others with their writings and they give out of the excess they may have. It's not much but it's something.

In the ways that you are not able to do things, doing what you can do places you in position of the blessings of God overtaking you and you having what you need, supplied by God, when you need it. Don't be lazy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Troublemakers
Prov 6:12-15

A scoundrel, a wicked man,is one who goes around with a perverse mouth, winking his eyes, shuffling his feet, pointing his fingers, who continually plots evil with deceit in his heart stirring up strife. Therefore his disaster will come suddenly—in an instant he will be broken, with no remedy. (V 12-15)

There are many people who are trouble-makers. Even those who claim to be of the family of God.

In the churches we have those who just do not control their tongues, or their actions. People gossipping and spreading things that they heard or made up. Spreading things about the pastor and the pastors wife and their children and the deacons, and anybody else's business they have their noses in.

You're upset about the choir robes, or the seats, or the communion plates or the songs are too loud or not loud enough, and all the jumping and dancing that the youth does during singing, or someone sat where you usually sit...etc., etc.. Don't laugh, these are tings I've personally heard in churches. If you are doing these things, STOP IT. You are SINNING and you are a trouble-maker.

If you do these things, YOU are the problem and if you're not willing to judge yourself and repent and turn away from your wicked ways then you need to leave that church or whatever group it is.

If you are not a participent in the carnage, which means you're not "re-telling" the gossip and slander, and activity, be bold enough to tell the person that what they are doing is sinful. But, be prepared, they will most likely become angered and now start stirring up trouble about you. That's how trouble-makers are. They're perverse, telling things that are not true and if they are true, the perverse person tells them in a way that is deceptive. They want to tell you things about so-in-so in secret, even enclosing it in a "prayer-request".

They stir up strive and turn friends against each other. They make accusations and point their fingers at other people and not once do they look at their self. They don't care about the harm they cause.

The person that does these things, trouble-making, will meet a sudden disaster, if not here on earth when they stand before God. A person who does those things, does not really know Yeshua as their Savior. If they did, they would see that their own sins outweigh the sins of those they are pointing at. Trouble-makers are like when there is a peaceful protest and suddenly someone yells "burn it down", then it becomes a mob...sadly we are experiencing this in our world today.

Trouble-making has serious consequences. Such a person is considered a heretic. Even though they may agree with the "doctrine" of the church, if they are not living accordingly, they are heretics, immoral, impure, indecent, idolaters, witchcraft (because rebellion is the sin of witchcraft) (1 Sam 15:23) and the spirit they are operating in is not from God. They are hostile, cause strife, jealousy, rage, and are selfish. If you are participating in any of these things, then you are guilty of them all.

The remedy is simple though, REPENT of your wickedness and turn away from it. Stop being a trouble-maker. There are way better ways for you to act when Yeshua Messiah is alive in you. Stop pushing him down where people only see "you" and not Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Things God Hates
Prov 6:16-19

Six things Adonai hates, yes, seven are abominations to Him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that plots wicked schemes, feet that run to evil, a false witness who spouts lies, and anyone who stirs up strife among brothers. (V 6:16-19)

There are 7 things that we do as humans that God hates.

1. Haughty Eyes: In scripture we see a perfect example of people with haughty eyes. Korah and three other men got together 250 other men and came against Moses. All these men were leaders, and they had been chosen by the people. Everybody knew who they were. They came as a group to complain against Moses and Aaron.

Their complaint was that Moses and Aaron and their sons were the only one's who got to do the holy things of the Lord. They accused Moses of being "stuck on himself". They accused Moses of having haughty eyes and thinking he was the only one who could do any of the duties before the Lord. They said, "we are all just as holy as you". You can read the whole event and how God reacted to their complaints in Num 16. It did not end well for Korah and his followers.

I think we see "haughty eyes" running fairly rampant in the world today...even among those who claim to be followers of Yeshua. "I can lead worship too", "I can sing a solo too", "I can preach/teach too", "I can do just as good a job as they can". Be careful when you accuse others of having haughty eyes, because it's quite likely that it's you who has the haughty eyes. It certaintly is not "loving your neighbor as yourself" to covet their position and try to steal it from them.

2, A lying tongue: This is another rampant activity among those who claim Yeshua as Lord. An example in scripture would be Ananias & Sapphira. They stood before Peter and offered the money as charity. They kept some of the proceeds for themselves, which was not wrong for them to do, but they told Peter and the congregation assembled, that it was ALL the money they had made. They lied and tried to make it appear they were giving more than they really were. You can read about it in Act 5:1-11.

3. Hands that shed innocent blood: One of the ten commandments is "Thou shalt not kill" More accurately translated, it says, "Do not murder". (Deut 5:17) A scripture example would be found in 2 Sam 11 where King David had committed adultey with Bathsheba who was married.

She became pregnant from her relationship with David and David at first tried to decieve Uriah into thinking the baby was his but that did not work so when Uriah returned to battle a letter from David was given to the commander of the army to put Uriah in the front of the battle then draw the army back and leave Uriah as a sitting duck and he was killed. That was murder.

In the church I don't think it's common that someone actually physically murders another but in 1 Jn 3:14-18 we are told that anyone who hates another is guilty of murder. If you hate someone, you do not have the life of Yeshua living His love in you. We must do what we have to do and forgive.

4. A heart that plots wicked schemes: One wicked scheme in scripture can be found in Est 6:1-11. Mordecah heard some men planning to kill the king, and was able to get word to the king to inform him.

There are wicked schemes everywhere. Our politics are full of them and there are many in on it. It's evil and God hates it. Schemes to decieve and take control and be in POWER. :sick: It's wickedness, so don't be part of it.

5. Feet that run to evil: I'm sure there are other examples in scripture but all the examples listed so far all into this catagoray. Anyone who knows the Word will immediately know a wicked plan when they hear it and consider it before the Lord. All things are to be considered before running to anything, much more so before running off to do evil.

6. A false witness who spouts lies: Saying you saw or heard something that you didn't. Or hearing and seeing but lying about it.

There are many examples of false witnesses in scripture. There were false witnesses in the trial of Yeshua (Mrk 14:53-65), Stephen (Act 6:8-15), Saul AKA Paul was and still is accused of teaching that the law was abolished, yet he vehemently denied it (Act 24:14-15; Act 25:8; Rom 7:21-22) just to name a few of those denials. :angel:

7. One who stirs up strife among brothers: I think we have this everywhere today. The media spins the headlines to say just enough to make people think one thing when actually it was something different. Stirring up trouble between people and creating mistrust and suspicion, and hate.

If you noticed doing any one of these leads to another. If we allow our view of ourselves to become haughty it will lead to a lying tongue in order to try and get what you want. Spreading lies will lead to not only you but you causing others to run quickly to bring harm to an innocent person. You will start scheming and planning to try and get out of your guilt and then you will run to carry out your evil plan. You'll become a false witness of things that did not happen and you will then be a devider of the brethren (that includes the sisters too ^_^. In all the scriptureal examples, all of these seven things that God hates was active.

Again thuogh, because of Yeshua and the sacrifice for our sins that he made on the cross there is a way through the darkness that is created when we go against God. REPENT, and go and sin no more. It's something that we have to depend on Yeshua to walk us through.

Of course it's not easy, See aAgain, Rom 7. We don't necessarily know what Paul struggles were but according to this chapter, he did struggle with his flesh nature to sin and his intense desire to serve God according to His ways.

As long as we're putting up a fight, we need to trust that it's being worked out in us. It's when we stop self-disciplining and have the attitude that our efforts are too tough to bother with that there is cause for concern.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
My favourite proverb is Proverbs 21:9 -- “Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.”

I like that one too, and it's all too true.

Upvote 0