Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Looking at all the news about Texas this last week, I was thinking about how to prepare for a situation like that.

One thing I thought about was power (obviously). If I had a house there or where it could get so cold (or extreme hot like in AZ in the summer), I would want a generator handy. Folks used propane heaters but that seems to be an issue with CO2, so I would also want a CO2 monitor in the house.

Another thing is water. That situation made a good argument for storing water for emergencies. As pipes broke, the water and foods disappeared off the shelves. As the water in many areas had to be boiled before use, a propane stove (camping style) or other camping style stove, would be handy to heat the water. Also, it would be wise to have alternative methods of cleaning water besides boiling like disinfecting tablets.

I thought this site was good:

Survival Skills: 10 Ways to Purify Water

This reminds me of Girl Scouts:

MAQGH2D2V3KHWT5SQ5L26CHZUI.jpeg

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We got one in Arizona after there were rolling blackouts and the temps were 115 or above. Not having air conditioning at that temp is really unpleasant.
But it’s a dry heat. ^_^

Upvote 0

Sage50

Dec 30, 2020
In Christ
✟21,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Live in Texas,
The Lord prompted my husband to fill up 5 cooler chests with tap water.
We also prepped for the storm the few days ahead of it coming, as we rushed to store to get extra lamp oil.

We had a generator, but it stopped working months ago. So we had no heat.
Lots of quilts on top of us got us thru the nights.
I had an emergency radio so we had news enough. We also have gas stove. I had been prepping these past months, so food was good.

We are getting a new generator, two of those indoor space propane heaters, and I got some of those cooling towels for summer if grid fails! Gotta stay cool.
For now water is back in where I'm at. So back to more normal.
The second day of the hard freeze, I could hardly stand taking the quilt off my face it was so so so cold!

Having the emergency radio was very helpful not only for getting news but music and talk radio washelpful. Also right up there with landline phone and lots of socks, and quilts.

Upvote 0