Lenten (fasting) recipes (no meat no fish or dairy)

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have a few.

Make ahead freezer burritos

Fix rice in a rice cooker and also add tomatos, onions, and green peppers with it. Also, cook beans in a crock pot. Then using a bunch of flour tortillas (heating first so they're pliable) you can add the rice and beans plus fresh cilantro, salsa, quacamole, and whatever else you can think of to fill them and roll them up. Wrap them in saran wrap and place them in a gallon freezer bag. When you're ready to eat, pull them out and heat them for 2 minutes in the microwave. If you'd rather use the oven, heat at 425 and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Pot Pie
I found this recipe on-line a while back. I make this frequently.

Ingredients:
• 1 cup chickpeas, cooked (canned does the trick)
• 2 cups vegetable blend (carrots, lima beans, peas, potatoes or any vegetable blend- I used canned potatoes and peas but fresh limas and carrots)
• 1/2 cup onion, chopped and caramelized
• 1 teaspoon seasoning (I used a combo of ground cayenne pepper, parsley, rosemary, thyme, ground black pepper, and ground sea salt)
• 10.5 ounces cream of mushroom soup (this is one can)
• 2 tablespoons soy milk
• 2 9-inch pie crusts (frozen kind)
Directions:
Mix all ingredients, except pie crusts. Fill pie with mixture. Top with additional crust, slitting to allow steam to release.

Bake at 425 for 30-40 minutes.

Tortilla Soup

In skillet heat up meatless soy crumbles and chopped onions and add taco seasoning mix (add water). Place in crockpot, add can of corn, ranch dressing mix (dry), 2 cans Rotel original, 1 can chili beans, 1 can pinto beans. Cook on high for 1 hour, turn to low and let simmer. Serve with tortilla strips to garnish. (My family loves this one. You can add shredded cheese and sour cream if you ever make this outside of lent.)

(I got these next two from Ethiopian friends at church. They're good.)
Yellow Lentils

1-1/2 cup Split lentils (red in color)
4 cup Water
1 cup Red onion; chopped
1/2 cup Oil
1 tbsp Ginger peeled and mashed
2 tbsp Garlic peeled and mashed
1 Jalapeño (optional)
¼ tsp Black pepper
¼ tsp Cardamom
Salt; to taste
1/2 tbsp turmeric

Wash lentils and set aside. Cook onions adding oil and stirring gently on medium heat so onions do not turn brown. Add turmeric and continue sautéing.

When onion is soft (8-10) minutes add mashed ginger and garlic and continue cooking. Another 3 to 5 minutes.

Add lentils to the onions. Add water, stirring to prevent mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Simmer for another 20 minutes. Add spices (salt, pepper, cardamom) to taste. If you like Jalapeno you can split into 4 take out the seeds and add now. The lentils when done can be crunchy, if you like it softer you can cook a little bit more to your preference.

It is good with injera bread but you can also eat it with pita bread or on top of cooked white rice.

This recipe will serve 3 to4.

Cabbage and potatoes

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup red onions (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon garlic
6 new potatoes, or Idaho potatoes cubed
5 carrots, chopped or 1cup baby carrots
1 small cabbage, chopped
6 medium chili peppers, chopped (birds eye or baby red if you like it hot, possibly jalapeno if you like it milder) (Optional)
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cardamom
2 tablespoons basil, chopped
1/2 Tsp turmeric
1/2 Tsp ginger

1. Cook onions in oil until transparent. Add turmeric garlic and ginger and cook until onion is soft lightly browning.
2. Wash and add the carrots first since they take longer to cook.
3. Wash and chop the rest vegetables (cabbage and potatoes) and add them to the onions, lightly browning. The cabbage is bulky at first but once it starts cooking it will be less and less in volume. Just cover and stir every few minutes until the potatoes are done.
4. Add nutmeg, garlic and cardamom then cook slowly for 30 mins.
5. Season to taste then add chilli or jalapeno and basil just before serving.

(I've also made this. It's pretty tasty.)
Mujaddarah

4 C water
1 C green lentils
4 large onions (about 1 - 1 1/2 lbs), peeled and sliced
1/2 C olive oil
1 C white rice
1 Tbs salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tsp Cumin
(a tiny dash of cinnamon)

In a frying pan, carmelize the onions in oil on low heat. It should take around 20-30 minutes.

Rinse lentils. In a pot- bring four cups of water and then add the lentils- then let simmer for around 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Add rice, salt, pepper, half of the carmelized onions, and 2 tablespoons of the oil from when you carmelized the onions. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer (covered) for 20 minutes. Add cumin and the slightest dash of cinnamon and remove from heat.

To serve- add the rest of the carmelized onions on top. Eat with pita, plain yogurt (you would omit this option during lent), and cucumber salad.

Upvote 0