Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I know what you mean, Katherine. I don't really look forward to the long lenten times either. I'm hypoglycemic, and sometimes I don't do so well on the diet. But I've learned to kinda improvise, with my SP's "ok" on that. I skip meats except fish, but I still eat dairy, so I don't do that great. I just do what I can. There was a time when I tried really hard and ended up feeling very lightheaded, dizzy, and nauseous. My priest told me to eat a hamburger or something like that a couple times a week during the fast. He said fasting isn't supposed to bring you to the place of feeling very sick. That's not the point. So, he tells me to do what I can. I can imagine how tough it is for you, reading your story, Katherine. :hug:

I'm not hypoglycemic, but I am keeping to a strict low-carb diet and that, along with the Fast , really restricted the food options - meaning almost *no* protein. I did okay until the last week or two, when I started having the same symptoms you described. My priest finally made me eat some things I wouldn't othewise have eaten. But it's good to know how it might affect me during the upcoming Fast, and I'll talk to my priest about what to do about it.

Mary

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, boo... I just realized that the only class I'm taking is on Wednesday night. Meaning I'll miss PSL every week except for spring break. That really bites!

Luckily, in my parish, we have PSL on both Wednesdays and Fridays, and we have soup and bread afterwards on Friday nights.

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, boo... I just realized that the only class I'm taking is on Wednesday night. Meaning I'll miss PSL every week except for spring break. That really bites!

Aw, I feel your pain. I decided that I am going to skip class on the first and third Wednesdays so that I can go to PSL. I have had this instructor before and I should be able to arrange it.

:cry:

I need more Lenten potluck recipies for coffee hour. Everyone is going to get tired of us bringing the same 2 cakes over and over.

VegWeb.com - Vegan Recipes and Cooking Tips is a good source for recipes. Look for the ones that have been given the most stars. People are pretty honest in rating them.

you could try to do both :)

We'll see what shakes out :)

M.

Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It'd work but it's a once a week class and I'm skipping one week to go to Jordanville (and I'm really hoping that it's not the mid term week). Although today we were talking with hubby and we're thinking we might delay starting the program til fall. There are some things he'd want me to get done first.

Aw, I feel your pain. I decided that I am going to skip class on the first and third Wednesdays so that I can go to PSL. I have had this instructor before and I should be able to arrange it.

VegWeb.com - Vegan Recipes and Cooking Tips is a good source for recipes. Look for the ones that have been given the most stars. People are pretty honest in rating them.

We'll see what shakes out :)

M.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:cry:

I need more Lenten potluck recipies for coffee hour. Everyone is going to get tired of us bringing the same 2 cakes over and over.

People in my parish bring so much variety and often forget to bring fruit. So, I always bring a bowl full of cantalope, strawberries, and red grapes. Boring, I know. However, it is often pushing it for me to even get that together to bring before liturgy.

Upvote 0