Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
oh really now?

Lent really is backwards to what happened.

There was passover (death), first day feast of unleavened bread (burial), firstfruits (resurrection), and then the 40 more days until ascension. 10 days after that was pentecost.

Not sure from where Lent arose??

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Lent really is backwards to what happened.

There was passover (death), first day feast of unleavened bread (burial), firstfruits (resurrection), and then the 40 more days until ascension. 10 days after that was pentecost.

Not sure from where Lent arose??

the example of Jesus' 40 day fast in the desert, the example of the wondering in the desert for 40 years by the Israelites, "the proclaiming a fast"...I suppose none of those are in Scripture though.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the example of Jesus' 40 day fast in the desert, the example of the wondering in the desert for 40 years by the Israelites, "the proclaiming a fast"...I suppose none of those are in Scripture though.

^_^ Of course they're in scripture (40 days prior to Jesus' ministry), but Lent is associated with passover preparation, ash wednesday/monday forward. Right? Not sure from where Lent tied to passover came from? That 40 day period prior to passover is not in scripture as some memorial event.

Upvote 0

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lent is based on a 40 day time period once a year, based on church tradition, not Scripture. Sabbath is not based on tradition but on a clear commandment written by the finger of God! Which then has the strongest evidence?
and it says to go only by the Bible somewhere?

Upvote 0

TruthWave7

Feb 23, 2011
USA
✟1,519.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
and it says to go only by the Bible somewhere?

This rebuke to the tradition loving Pharisees should give you a feeling of how much Jesus valued the Scripture vs the traditions of men. The bible text listed below is what I would call the naked truth.

Matthew 15:7-9

7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: 8“‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9They worship me in vain;
their teachings are but rules taught by men."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This rebuke to the tradition loving Pharisees should give you a feeling of how much Jesus valued the Scripture vs the traditions of men. Its what I would call the naked truth, and it was very un-politically correct when gave this scathing rebuke:

7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: 8“‘These people honor me with their lips,

let's take a deeper look at that passage. Are you going to seriously argue that Jesus is literally condemning washing ones hands?? I doubt it; thus if the practice of washing ones hands is not the specific problem, then what is? It is elevating such a practice beyond its proper place and role.

Lent is a time that is important for many, frankly most Christians. It in and of itself does not alter the teachings of the faith, but can be a useful tool in deepening ones Christian faith. It is analogous in those verses to washing ones hands. Now if Lent were to be elevated outside of its proper place and role, those verse would be applicable, but simply having Lent is not the same thing. Remember what St. Paul said about people considering certain days holy, they do it unto the Lord. In that spirit please cease in casting aspersions on Christians who do choose to use this season to grow more deeply in love with Christ.

Upvote 0

TruthWave7

Feb 23, 2011
USA
✟1,519.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Where were the tablets placed? What was the significance?

The earthly tablets of the 10 Commandments given by Jesus to Moses were stored in the Ark of the Covenant in the earthly sanctuary which was patterned after the pattern that Jesus showed Moses. Note, Hebrews 8:1-6

"1Now the point in what we are saying is this: we have such a high priest, one who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, 2a minister in the holy places, in the true tenta that the Lord set up, not man. 3For every high priest is appointed to offer gifts and sacrifices; thus it is necessary for this priest also to have something to offer. 4Now if he were on earth, he would not be a priest at all, since there are priests who offer gifts according to the law. 5They serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things. For when Moses was about to erect the tent, he was instructed by God, saying, “See that you make everything according to the pattern that was shown you on the mountain.” 6But as it is, Christb has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises."

The bold text that I highlighted above are key texts that prove that the original tablets are in the heavenly sanctuary where Jesus is mediating as our Great High Priest as we speak.

In Revelation 11:19, the Apostle John was clearly shown the Ark of the Covenant in the heavenly sanctuary. Note the text below:

"Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within his temple. There were flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an earthquake, and heavy hail."

Upvote 0

TruthWave7

Feb 23, 2011
USA
✟1,519.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
let's take a deeper look at that passage. Are you going to seriously argue that Jesus is literally condemning washing ones hands?? I doubt it; thus if the practice of washing ones hands is not the specific problem, then what is? It is elevating such a practice beyond its proper place and role.

Lent is a time that is important for many, frankly most Christians. It in and of itself does not alter the teachings of the faith, but can be a useful tool in deepening ones Christian faith. It is analogous in those verses to washing ones hands. Now if Lent were to be elevated outside of its proper place and role, those verse would be applicable, but simply having Lent is not the same thing. Remember what St. Paul said about people considering certain days holy, they do it unto the Lord. In that spirit please cease in casting aspersions on Christians who do choose to use this season to grow more deeply in love with Christ.

Jesus gave the rebuke to the Pharisees because they were accusing the disciples of breaking a man made tradition. They didn't ceremonially wash their hands according the man made tradition of the Pharisees. Lent is a man made tradition as well. I brought up this topic because so much emphasis is put upon Lent in Catholic and even Protestant denominations, and yet they ignore the 7th day Sabbath, which is not based church traditions, but was written with the finger of God!! Don't you see the glaring disconnect?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Jesus gave the rebuke to the Pharisees because they were accusing the disciples of breaking a man made tradition. They didn't ceremonially wash their hands according the man made tradition of the Pharisees. Lent is man made tradition as well. I brought up this topic because so much emphasis is put upon Lent in Catholic and even Protestant denominations, and yet the ignore the 7th day Sabbath which is not based church traditions, but was written with the finger of God!! Don't you see the glaring disconnect?

No. The Sabbath commandment is a pre-figuration of Jesus, as is the entire Old Testament, our Sabbath rest is in Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TruthWave7

Feb 23, 2011
USA
✟1,519.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No. The Sabbath commandment is a pre-figuration of Jesus, as is the entire Old Testament, our Sabbath rest is in Jesus.

You say that you are a Catholic, and yet you put a mystical spin on the Sabbath. The last time I read the Catholic Catechism it said the 10 Commandments are binding on all Christians. Do you put a mystical spin on murder, stealing, or adultery? The Sabbath tests your relationship with God, by testing your willingness to do something that doesn't seem to make sense in our world, where everyone wants to do their own thing anytime they want.
God is basically saying, prove your faith by being obedient to me even if it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You say that you are a Catholic, and yet you put a mystical spin on the Sabbath. The last time I read the Catholic Catechism it said the 10 Commandments are binding on all Christians. Do you put mystical spin on murder, stealing, or adultery? The Sabbath tests your relationship with God, by testing your willingness to do something that doesn't seem to make sense in our world, where everyone wants to do their own thing anytime they want.
God is basically saying prove your faith by being obedient to me even if it doesn't make sense.

Eucharist.

your move.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2011
✟9,171.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I practice that gift given to us by Jesus, the last supper, but I also keep the Sabbath. Why not do both?

I very much doubt our beliefs on the Eucharist are the same.

and why would our main day of celebration not be the day of Resurrection...the "8th day" so to speak?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
TruthWave7 said:
I practice that gift given to us by Jesus, the last supper, but I also keep the Sabbath. Why not do both?

Because sabbath is the last day of the old creation. On Easter morning the first day of the new creation began.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

whitetiger1

Sep 3, 2011
in front of my computer
✟1,946.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This rebuke to the tradition loving Pharisees should give you a feeling of how much Jesus valued the Scripture vs the traditions of men. The bible text listed below is what I would call the naked truth.

Nice dodge. Where does it say to use the Bible alone above all else.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Actually you've got it backwards. The Pharisees were sticklers for what was written. They were absolute literalists

Along comes Jesus and the Apostles who taught 'the Word' that hadn't yet been written down.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟58,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The earthly tablets of the 10 Commandments given by Jesus to Moses were stored in the Ark of the Covenant in the earthly sanctuary which was patterned after the pattern that Jesus showed Moses. Note, Hebrews 8:1-6

"1Now the point in what we are saying is this: we have such a high priest, one who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, 2a minister in the holy places, in the true tenta that the Lord set up, not man. 3For every high priest is appointed to offer gifts and sacrifices; thus it is necessary for this priest also to have something to offer. 4Now if he were on earth, he would not be a priest at all, since there are priests who offer gifts according to the law. 5They serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things. For when Moses was about to erect the tent, he was instructed by God, saying, “See that you make everything according to the pattern that was shown you on the mountain.” 6But as it is, Christb has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises."

The bold text that I highlighted above are key texts that prove that the original tablets are in the heavenly sanctuary where Jesus is mediating as our Great High Priest as we speak.

In Revelation 11:19, the Apostle John was clearly shown the Ark of the Covenant in the heavenly sanctuary. Note the text below:

"Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant was seen within his temple. There were flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an earthquake, and heavy hail."

Okay. And where was the blood sprinkled? And what's the significance?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.