US-Others
1 Cut back on smoking
2 Coffee :coffee:
3 Water and vegan diet (Like Daniel)
4 Bread :bread:
5 sugar :ricecooked:
6 chocolate :cookie:
7 (Idea here)

Want to try and make it count this year. I want to know what will make the most of an impact on my spiritual journey from the 17th till Easter but I don't know what I want to slack up on or what would bring me closer. Not sure about the ashes but we can still do this as far as I know.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Want to try and make it count this year. I want to know what will make the most of an impact on my spiritual journey from the 17th till Easter but I don't know what I want to slack up on or what would bring me closer.
That is the real question, probably one that you need to answer for yourself. What will help draw you closer to God in that time? Perhaps giving up something that takes time, and allocating that time to a Lenten devotion or prayer? Out of your list there I would guess smoking maybe? Or maybe give up something like you have listed but also set aside a particular time that you can use to further your spiritual journey?

I am giving up alcohol and also setting aside 10 minutes more in the morning to study the word and devotions.
Not sure about the ashes but we can still do this as far as I know.
What do you mean by that?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,271,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That is the real question, probably one that you need to answer for yourself. What will help draw you closer to God in that time? Perhaps giving up something that takes time, and allocating that time to a Lenten devotion or prayer? Out of your list there I would guess smoking maybe? Or maybe give up something like you have listed but also set aside a particular time that you can use to further your spiritual journey?

I am giving up alcohol and also setting aside 10 minutes more in the morning to study the word and devotions.

What do you mean by that?
Ash Wednesday?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,271,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You could try removing one thing that is the easiest and unhealthy for you. Then try not starting to use it again. By doing that it helps build your will power. Later (maybe next year, it’s up to you) you can fast from another unhealthy habit.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ash Wednesday?
Assumable, but the text made it a little unclear, so I was looking for a little clarification.

Not sure about the ashes but we can still do this as far as I know.
Most of the more traditional Methodist churches still have a service for Ash Wednesday and ashes.

Upvote 0