Visit site
✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
A couple of years ago I was talking to a guest preacher at my church. He said that he had an experience where he was piloting (or co-piloting?) a plane and time seemed to stop and he had a fairly long experience. I can't remember the details.

This seems a bit like the Adam Sandler comedy "Click" where he has a very lengthy experience that ended up only taking a short amount of time where he was having a rest on a bed in a store.

I was wondering if anyone knew the technical term for this and whether experiences that seem like many seconds or minutes or longer can happen within a couple of seconds.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows of any experiences of this type perhaps related to God, etc, or near death experiences?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A couple of years ago I was talking to a guest preacher at my church. He said that he had an experience where he was piloting (or co-piloting?) a plane and time seemed to stop and he had a fairly long experience. I can't remember the details.

This seems a bit like the Adam Sandler comedy "Click" where he has a very lengthy experience that ended up only taking a short amount of time where he was having a rest on a bed in a store.

I was wondering if anyone knew the technical term for this and whether experiences that seem like many seconds or minutes or longer can happen within a couple of seconds.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows of any experiences of this type perhaps related to God, etc, or near death experiences?

I don't know if there is a term for that but I've read similar accounts of the same thing. Someone is traveling somewhere and they are going to be late but they miraculously arrive on time. It seems those stories exist on the fringe. Such as "I know someone who knew someone..." I don't put much stock in things like that.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sometimes it can be a function of memory, apparently, as in remembering an intense experience the whole episode is recalled in great detail, making it seem as if it lasted much longer than it did, or as if time slowed down. I had an experience like that when I fell off a barn and broke my leg as a kid, thinking back on it for a while I could remember a lot of small details that made it seem as if, when recalled, the fall had taken longer than it actually did.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can speed up a movie so it takes less time to watch it.

I think God can have a person go slow or fast-forward through an experience. Or, we can experience faster or slower, while we in physical reality are going through something at regular speed.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day" > in 2 Peter 3:8.

It used to be how I might have one social experience in a week. So, I could be trained in my mind to feel a week had passed, for each social experience I had.

Now, with my church and my lady friend and things I do where I have my apartment . . . I'll just say I am having more social experiences, and I can lose track of how many days have gone by . . . since I am having various love activities in one day and not once or twice a week :)

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟323,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Time is just something for our physical bodies when working in normal physical conditions but we actually are spiritual beings. We need to get a grip on our spiritual side and recognize that over the long haul of eternity that is who we actually are. In eternity one could say there is no time just as God is present in eternity past, now and future all at once. Our spirits are planted inside these bodies for a season but sometimes maybe we get a glimpse of the spiritual realm and it's ways and conditions. I know I have.

You might do well to put this in the spiritual gifts signs and wonders forum....

Upvote 0