• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Lengthy Protestant Criticism...

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Bushmaster78FS, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster78FS

Bushmaster78FS Senior Contributor

+343
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    A few years back, right after I was baptized in the Orthodox Church, there was one and one online friend of mine had the biggest opposition to my conversion. I had posted some of his comments about Orthodoxy here before, in which he showed quite a bit ignorance about the Orthodox Church and confusion between RCC doctrines/dogma and ours. He doesn't think we are on the right path anymore, and he doesn't address me directly... This is what he emailed to Nichole after she forwarded the news article to a bunch of people on her address book... I never get a straight answer as to his denomination, he apparently belongs to one, but always I get the runaround. Please comment as necessary. One thing I never got him to do was to pick a book about Orthodoxy, he is already convinced we are wrong. We are planning to write an answer to him, which should answer his misconceptions and present sound Orthodox teachings. He addresses Nichole in this mail, maybe not being aware that she is already chrismated, it sounds he is trying to explain she shouldn't be involved. But anyway, have a read, and let us know...

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+3,616
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    If he is not open to learning, there is not much you can say to him.

It's remarkable, given that he does say some good things.

I imagine that if he were open, you could offer him things like
    http://www.antiochian.org/node/16904 (Infant baptism) and so on.

3. Machachachi

Machachachi Becoming Orthodox

+57
    Other Religion
    Married
    *Removed because I could use a little humility*

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  4. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,887
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    he keeps stressing the unity of the Faith, so ask him about how far back he can trace his union, and there should be historical evidence to back up his claims. as Orthodox we have all the Fathers from century one until today, so we can see our unity. I'd say, if he brings it up again, get him on what church he is united with, and is that church united with the belief of the Apostles.

truism amongst truisms

5. Philothei

Philothei Love never fails

+2,633
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    he does not 'understand' he just goes along with it... He offers 'lip service" to y'all... as he later asks Nichole to "rebellion" against your decision...by calling you John "heretical". Do you really need that friendship that undermines your decisions and "insults" your faith? I personally would not... But it is y'all decision...;)

He sounds rather hypocritial to me....

6. Shubunkin

Shubunkin Antiochian Orthodox Christian

+593
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Typical. I was there once, but not quite so openly arrogant about it. I mostly kept such thoughts to myself. Anyway, I understand where he is coming from, and it is blindness caused by denominationalism, "we are right, and everyone else is wrong," so nevermind if you like it, or not. Well, first step is to dispel the myths, and then get down to Church History. That is, if he is open to it. If not, then not much you, or anyone, can do about it. Perhaps God will open his mind someday, and you can then be ready to help him. :crosseo:

http://www.saintignatiuschurch.org/timeline.html

7. Llauralin

Llauralin Senior Veteran

+149
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Hmm... the fellow sounds somewhat pedantic and confused. I wonder if he's really interested in discussing the issues he mentioned toward the end, or is just trying to send out a warning without offending anyone? I would probably ask his intention, were I her.

8. joyfulthanks

joyfulthanks The long day is over. Praise the Lord!

+295
    Lutheran
    Married
    As to his denomination - some things he said make me think he might be Church of Christ (though they'll go apoplectic if you call them a denomination).

9. katherine2001

katherine2001 Veteran

+965
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I agree. That is why I hesitate to bring up subjects like the Eucharist and the Theotokos up on the GT board. Unless your heart and mind are open to the truth, it isn't going to do any good. Also, you have to be open to a God who isn't angry and vengeful that wants to nail all his and your enemies (that's not the real God, but I believed in that one for a long time).

10. GBTWC

GBTWC God bless the Working class

+200
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Phil 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

11. MariaRegina

MariaRegina Well-Known Member

+12,119
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Amen, brother!

Glory to Jesus Christ, Glory forever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.