Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, apparently this article has been getting a lot of attention lately:

http://veronicapartridge.com/why-i-chose-to-no-longer-wear-leggings/

Thoughts? Opinions?

I personally wouldn't wear leggings out and about, but more because I'd feel self conscious than because I think they're immodest.

Seriously, how narcissistic does one have to be to feel the need to make a public statement about that?

I wear leggings, the thick Danskin spandex ones you can buy at Walmart (the knit variety are too flimsy IMO). I wear them for cycling. I also wear the Danskin semi-fitted version, which are flared at the bottoms. Very comfortable this time of year.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, when someone is wearing leggings, or yoga pants, would you describe their butt and thighs as being hidden? Or concealed?

If I am wearing leggings (also called riding tights by cyclists) I really don't care whether someone can see my behind or thighs or not. Actually, it is because I DO wear them when I am riding (which is the only time I do wear them), that they can see those parts of my anatomy... disappearing rapidly in front of them as I leave them in my wake.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I also don't like when guys wear leggings. it makes me uncomfortable and wonder why they can't just wear pants. Esp when they out cycling, I just think its rude.

Because loose pants and shirts create wind drag. People who wear "kits" for cycling (snug pants/shorts and top combos) are more likely than not serious riders who are training for some sort of competition, whether it is triathlon, cyclocross, or road racing. Time and speed are of the essence in those events. Same reason ski racers or speed skaters wear spandex.

I think it is rude that you think you have the right to dictate how other people dress. You need to mind your own business and concentrate on things that actually concern you.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Women and girls have been wearing tight pants since the late 50's.

Why are leggings different? Is it because they are of thinner material?

Right. I think the people who are whining about leggings need to watch the original version of Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn.

Also... *gasp*... the girls in my father's high school used to wear pants and jeans to school, and he graduated in 1957. They mostly only wore dresses for special occasions, like posing for activity group photos for the yearbook.

Yes. What most people call "leggings" are actually nothing more than footless tights. Real leggings are made of knit or spandex (usually a combo of both) and are not see-through.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think it is rude that you think you have the right to dictate how other people dress. You need to mind your own business and concentrate on things that actually concern you.
I completely agree. It always surprises me when words like "rude" start getting thrown around in these conversations regarding the clothing choices of other people. I don't personally enjoy seeing a beer belly at the beach, but I would never suggest that this is his problem or that he's somehow slighting me by doing what every other male on the beach is doing. This is even a step beyond the more common accusation that a person is slighting his or herself by means of clothing choices (by not respecting herself, protecting herself, etc.). Other humans do not exist for my viewing pleasure.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Audrey hepburn wore a dress in sabrina. Honestly, people just dont remember their movies properly.

Apparently she wore practically nothing in the play Ondine and was covered in seaweed. But I wasnt around to see that. Also, when she wore all black tights and turtleneck in funny face, it was for dancing. But she complained that they got her to wear white socks. But the directors said if she hadnt have worn those socks, nobody would have seen her feet, which was what people were meant to see as she was dancing.

That dance sequence was a bit dim as was filmed in a smoky parisian dive. But she wasnt waving her butt around or trying to do yoga and all those kama sutra positions.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, apparently this article has been getting a lot of attention lately:

http://veronicapartridge.com/why-i-chose-to-no-longer-wear-leggings/

Thoughts? Opinions?

I personally wouldn't wear leggings out and about, but more because I'd feel self conscious than because I think they're immodest.
For someone like me, that really doesn't help. In fact, leggings are less sexy than lots of shorts and skirts in my opinion. Besides, even if a woman wears clothes that aren't regarded as sexy, that's not going to stop my mind from going there if I like her.

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Audrey hepburn wore a dress in sabrina. Honestly, people just dont remember their movies properly.

Speak for yourself.

https://alisonkerr.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/style-file-audrey-hepburn-in-the-1950s/

Then there’s the casual, ballet pumps and capri pants/leggings, look that Sabrina wears when she nips in to Linus’s (Humphrey Bogart’s) office in Manhattan..

They even include a photo of that outfit...

https://alisonkerr.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/audrey-sabrina-leggings-etc.jpg

Reactions: Blue Wren
Upvote 0

JaapAap

Aug 16, 2015
Arnhem, Holland
✟1,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeSpirit74

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Woooow sexy!!!! Lol such nonsense. Just wear them well.

She certainly did! Most gorgeous woman EVER to grace Hollywood and the silver screen.

Reactions: JaapAap
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CCHIPSS

Love will overcome evil (Romans 12:9-21)
Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
Christian ladies, wear whatever you want. Because there are plenty of non-Christian ladies wear things more exposed than leggings. It won't help the situation.

Ideally men should only admire a lady's beauty as a piece of art. And when men fall in love, they should fall in love with the lady's spirit and soul, not their body.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
The purpose for the lycra based clothing is the same as why we don't swim in one piece baggy dresses anymore....ill-fitting attire can get in the way for some sports. You can't see someone's body alignment in a baggy t-shirt and shorts...so you can't correct an exercise that is being done incorrectly before an injury occurs. Many girls grew up in sports such as gymastics, figure skating, dance...where baggy clothes can actually be dangerous...these clothes feel "natural" to exercise in. Yes, there are people who wear them to try to be noticed...but I think they are obvious because they also aren't going to be actually sweaty and probably are in full make-up. Personally, I am in a baggy t-shirt and shorts most of the time because I don't want anyone looking at my body...it doesn't belong in lycra anymore. However, I do work harder if I actually do see what the "real" me looks like and I can correct my own body alignment issues if I can see myself (not some funky baggy outline of my clothes in the million mirrors around the gyms. Isn't that the purpose of all those mirrors in the gym anyway...to look at yourself and correct body alignment and technique? How do you do that if you can't actually see the body?

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0