✟1,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, apparently this article has been getting a lot of attention lately:

http://veronicapartridge.com/why-i-chose-to-no-longer-wear-leggings/

Thoughts? Opinions?

I personally wouldn't wear leggings out and about, but more because I'd feel self conscious than because I think they're immodest.
It creates a stronger attractions?
Lol I only heard guys say they thought they were horribly ugly.
They use leggings under a skirt for the cold because they have to wear a skirt: no male clothes, or to look decent.

Reactions: MiniEmu
Upvote 0

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I always thought leggings were worn under skirts/dresses/tunics and were no different to tights really. They can be rather ... erm, figure hugging. Though I guess they're a bit like breeches, and I never stopped to think about their figure hugging ways while riding.

Leggings are quite comfortable in the gym, but given that it's a mixed-gender gym I feel slightly uncomfortable wearing them. Not because I think I'm hot stuff and will cause all the men to lust after me, but because I do not feel comfortable feeling that exposed, I guess. It's like how I think those tank tops are really comfortable in the gym, but because it's mixed-gender I opt for baggy t-shirts as I feel far too exposed.

Personally leggings are an extra layer of warmth under a skirt/dress/trousers, or for those dresses I don't feel comfortable wearing tights under but would look silly with actual trousers.

Plus I'm shallow, leggings only really look nice on a certain body shape. I am not that shape. I've seen enough women of my shape wearing leggings as if they were trousers to know that it really isn't a look I have any desire to recreate.

================================

Modesty is a difficult area, largely as it's defined by society/culture. It is, at heart, a very personal thing.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The leggings debate is always difficult because there's no strict definition. It can mean everything from tights to jeggings. There's yoga pants, spandex, sweatpants, etc., the appropriateness of which changes based on a number of different factors, so I don't even bother trying to pass judgment.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Personally, I don't really like the modesty because it's usually meant only in the context of female modesty, and that I think it focus on the wrong thing. My thought is that instead of being cautious about what people wear, we desexualize the human body, especially the female body.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
er..no christian with a conscience ought to be doing yoga.

Aside from that..leggings, shmeggings.
If you wanna show off your legs, wear stockings with a miniskirt. why anyone would want to wear leggings just on their own is beyond me. Plus they get holes in them and you get saggy knees after they been in the wash. They just look ugly.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad that she's clear about not trying to tell other people what they should do, but it's funny that she seems to think the only thing in her wardrobe that could have this effect is her leggings. This is a cultural issue and is very subjective, and she seems to get that on a certain level, but not entirely. Some cultures would say that she's doing the same thing with her hair, for example. A hundred years ago, she would have been expected to cover her collarbone and her calves to avoid tempting men. It has nothing to do with the leggings. It's just about how people read them.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, apparently this article has been getting a lot of attention lately:

http://veronicapartridge.com/why-i-chose-to-no-longer-wear-leggings/

Thoughts? Opinions?

I personally wouldn't wear leggings out and about, but more because I'd feel self conscious than because I think they're immodest.

I don't care so much about modesty (although going too far the other way is unappealing to me), I rather prefer a girl who dresses comfortably. If maybe it shows a bit more skin than the hardcore modest types think is acceptable, so be it. I don't care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ah, but if we're going to go down that route you have to take into account how differently people may interpret those scriptures.

In terms of female modesty there is a lot mentioned about (if we focus on 1 Timothy 2:9 for a wee bit) the avoidance of extravagant accessories; braiding of hair, gold and pearls etc. That bit is fairly easy. The not so easy bit is the mention of respectable apparel. Which is really the bit we should focus on when speaking of leggings.

Are leggings respectable? What would respectable be considered? Is there any guidance which can be taken from the Bible when it comes to leggings? If you have plain leggings, are they immodest from a scriptural stand point? To be sure we're accountable to each other, but then does it not depend on how those leggings are worn, rather than the wearing of leggings as a whole?

I have always been taught that modesty is, primarily, a matter of the individuals heart. That while scripture may provide guidance it does not dictate what should be worn, so much as teach that you should make choices you feel are appropriate.

Once someone makes you aware that perhaps your choices are a stumbling block for them, then it becomes an issue referenced in 1 Corinthians 8:9. While they have a responsibility to work on themselves, to overcome this block, once you are aware that you are causing them difficulties you become part of that accountability.

But again we come around to the fact that, scripture or no scripture, it's not an issue you can really go "the Bible says this, boom, done". Or even really pull a straight forward opinion from scripture, at least that is not something I can do. Not on the topic of leggings.

I can however say that leggings in a mixed gender environment make me feel like my body is far too exposed. That is entirely rooted in my desire not to cause others offence through seeing my imperfections. Leggings are quite glorious at showing off imperfections, and no amount of comfort while exercising is worth feeling insecure.

What would your thoughts be, scripturally speaking :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

twinserk

Apr 16, 2011
South
✟31,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Exodus 28:42 And you are to make them linen trousers, covering their bodies from the middle to the knee.

God established that our nakedness on the lower half of out bodies extends from our middle, to our knees. He commanded that pants were to be worn, that would cover said nakedness.

This dress code was given to priests, and according to Peter, believers are part of a royal preisthood:

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

The word for cover is defined as:

a primitive root; properly, to plump, i.e. fill up hollows; by implication, to cover (for clothing or secrecy):--clad self, close, clothe, conceal, cover (self), (flee to) hide, overwhelm.

So, when someone is wearing leggings, or yoga pants, would you describe their butt and thighs as being hidden? Or concealed? How about a comparative example: If I'm walking down the street with this (see link) strapped to my back, is said object hidden? Is it concealed?

Concealed, or no?

Reactions: Maka
Upvote 0

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see the links you are making, but I do not necessarily agree.

The verse quoted from Exodus was referring to a specific situation, does it necessarily follow that we should link that to the verse quoted from Peter? If we are to do that, should we not also take the whole of Exodus 28 into consideration? There are many things they are called upon to make for Aaron and his sons, with much detail given as to colour and the type of garments that they should be made.

Perhaps I am being over simplistic, but the link you are making would (in my mind) dictate that all of that should be taken into consideration when it comes to what the believer wears. It is a link I am not familiar with, not in light of modest attire for women at any rate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Your question, is centered on the biblical command of modesty. Those that profess to be believers should therefore draw their conclusions from scripture.
I'm sure that the Christians in this thread are taking their interpretations of scripture and God's will into account when they post their thoughts about modesty and how it applies to modern fashion. I don't see any reason to think that they aren't. You aren't going to find an objective command about leggings in the Bible, so this is the most that anyone can do. Just because they aren't copy/pasting verses doesn't mean they aren't living their faith. :) It's always good to see people who are able to move beyond that and use their own words.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tess
Upvote 0

JaapAap

Aug 16, 2015
Arnhem, Holland
✟1,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exodus 28:42 And you are to make them linen trousers, covering their bodies from the middle to the knee.

God established that our nakedness on the lower half of out bodies extends from our middle, to our knees. He commanded that pants were to be worn, that would cover said nakedness.

This dress code was given to priests, and according to Peter, believers are part of a royal preisthood:

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

The word for cover is defined as:

a primitive root; properly, to plump, i.e. fill up hollows; by implication, to cover (for clothing or secrecy):--clad self, close, clothe, conceal, cover (self), (flee to) hide, overwhelm.

So, when someone is wearing leggings, or yoga pants, would you describe their butt and thighs as being hidden? Or concealed? How about a comparative example: If I'm walking down the street with this (see link) strapped to my back, is said object hidden? Is it concealed?

Concealed, or no?
When I was young I always wore a legging. Loved it. My ex thought it looked ugly though. Not conceiling at all when you just don't take an extreme tight one and throw a huge sweater over it that's almost until your knees.
Those very strict church people here who also wear a hat in church put one under their skirt. That's considered modest and not male clothes.

Reactions: MiniEmu
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
er..no christian with a conscience ought to be doing yoga.
Is there some secret agenda to make Christians unhealthy that I don't know about? I'm not sure why you would discourage exercise.

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Modesty is definitely a heart issue. I choose not to wear leggings, yoga pants, or my workout capris out of the house. I am not comfortable doing so and I don't want to make a brother stumble. It's not that I have the best body in the world, I don't, but it doesn't take the best body in the world to make a brother stumble. I think modesty goes across gender lines as well.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I also don't like when guys wear leggings. it makes me uncomfortable and wonder why they can't just wear pants. Esp when they out cycling, I just think its rude.

my thoughts.
If you wanna know what God thinks..you can always ask Him, but I don't have an issue myself as I don't choose to wear them...and also the bible says not to worry about what we wear like the heathens do.

In the 80's bike pants were all the rage one with flouro one side and black on the other. They were hideous. lol.

Upvote 0