"Legend of Korra", Eastern Views, T.V & Ethics: What Can Christians learn from Anime?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oh wow! That is exciting news.
Glad it's not with Nick after Korra's treatment. I hope the new series does well (I'm confident it will) since Dreamworks really could use a hit.
I do think
Glad it's not with Nick after Korra's treatment. I hope the new series does well (I'm confident it will) since Dreamworks really could use a hit.
I do think having a different network will allow the series to go where it needs to go - although I don't know what they will do for villains....

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Turns out the LOK comics are official....

As said there for an excerpt:

Dark Horse Comics announced an all-new comic book series taking place in the world of "Korra"and written by "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "Korra" co-creator Michael Dante DiMartino.

Details about the series are currently unknown but as with Dark Horse's previous "Avatar" comic installments -- and especially with DiMartino writing -- it most likely will be considered canon. And while the gif by "Avatar" co-creator Bryan Konietzko following this article isn't official art from the upcoming series, Dark Horse used it for the announcement. Considering it features Korra and Asami -- confirmed as a couple by the series creators -- emerging from the Spirit World, it seems a solid bet that the comic series takes place after the conclusion of the show

11700804_1153365534680038_6113698642097456909_n.jpg

A follow-up series to beloved "Avatar: The Last Airbender," the critically acclaimed Korra ran for four seasons on Nickelodeon and centered on the new Avatar, the master of all four elements -- water, earth, fire, air -- and her journey to protect and bring balance to the world. To series addressed issues of identity, power, corruption and more and received countless praise for its mature themes and deeply developed characters and story.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I hope the new series does well (I'm confident it will) since Dreamworks really could use a hit.
I sincerely wonder how the new comic series will do in regards to Korra when compared to Aang's era..

6360_avatar_the_last_airbender_hd_wallpapers.jpg

Upvote 0

Paul K

Dec 9, 2013
✟8,538.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A word of caution, If someone already posted what I am about to read, sorry.

I am a fan of avatar and Korra. I enjoyed both series and thought it had some excellent artwork and storyline.

I am also a christian and all I can say about this, don't put too much worry on if it has negative impact on christian life. Its just an entertainment. Something to enjoy watching. I know that in this story, there are eastern flavour, eastern religion belief such as chakra, chi. etc. The most important thing to do is maintain your hold on your faith in Christ. and remember that its just a tv show.

There are some movies out there that can have negative impact but Im not going to put it on this one as this one is specifically about Avatar and Korra.

P

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A word of caution, If someone already posted what I am about to read, sorry.

I am a fan of avatar and Korra. I enjoyed both series and thought it had some excellent artwork and storyline.

I am also a christian and all I can say about this, don't put too much worry on if it has negative impact on christian life. Its just an entertainment. Something to enjoy watching. I know that in this story, there are eastern flavour, eastern religion belief such as chakra, chi. etc. The most important thing to do is maintain your hold on your faith in Christ. and remember that its just a tv show.

There are some movies out there that can have negative impact but Im not going to put it on this one as this one is specifically about Avatar and Korra.

P
Thanks for sharing as I more than agree and have also enjoyed the show. If you're good for it, I'd love to know what aspects of the show you enjoyed the most :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul K

Dec 9, 2013
✟8,538.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The part I like most is how Avatar had to put aside self doubt in order to learn the bending skills, and to learn how to rely on his friends because in reality, we cannot be alone to achieve everything. we need friends to lend a helping hand. so this was shown very succinctly in the series. The similar incident also happened to Korra as she was poisoned and had to fully depend on her friends and spirit guides to help her overcome this doubt and remove the poison.

Also, I really enjoy japanese anime as they are excellent artists.

P

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The part I like most is how Avatar had to put aside self doubt in order to learn the bending skills, and to learn how to rely on his friends because in reality, we cannot be alone to achieve everything. we need friends to lend a helping hand. so this was shown very succinctly in the series. The similar incident also happened to Korra as she was poisoned and had to fully depend on her friends and spirit guides to help her overcome this doubt and remove the poison.

Also, I really enjoy japanese anime as they are excellent artists.

P
Very god points, as the friendship perspective has always been stellar when seeing the impact!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Bump!

I'm rewatching Avatar the Last Airbender. I'm interested to see some of the perspectives that reveal themselves on this pass, especially coming away with some of the information from this thread.
Did you ever finish Korra at all?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to watch more of the series suggested in the OP, but I've never had a TV in my own home and I completely disoriented about where to get hold of the recorded episodes to be able to watch at my parent's house (although I would have to distract them so that they don't watch it).
But I also have a question: I don't think anyone here has read any of these titles, but even so can anyone give an opinion, can be very loosely based too, on whether these books are deserve to be owned by me?: https://verbum.com/product/30299/baylor-ethics-collection I have an early-bird pre-pub price ($72.95) locked down for my account so I wouldn't pay as much as the webpage says. Or are (some of) these in the link outdated now (on a topic such as Ethics)? They took a long time to digitize. The newest title among them is from 2012, and the author of one of the titles died in 1997. I do like Richard Bauckham, the book by him is why I've retained an interest for the collection.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to watch more of the series suggested in the OP, but I've never had a TV in my own home and I completely disoriented about where to get hold of the recorded episodes to be able to watch at my parent's house (although I would have to distract them so that they don't watch it).
But I also have a question: I don't think anyone here has read any of these titles, but even so can anyone give an opinion, can be very loosely based too, on whether these books are deserve to be owned by me?: https://verbum.com/product/30299/baylor-ethics-collection I have an early-bird pre-pub price ($72.95) locked down for my account so I wouldn't pay as much as the webpage says. Or are (some of) these in the link outdated now (on a topic such as Ethics)? They took a long time to digitize. The newest title among them is from 2012, and the author of one of the titles died in 1997. I do like Richard Bauckham, the book by him is why I've retained an interest for the collection.
Not certain if anyone here has ever heard of the books you're speaking of - as they don't pertain to anime and would be best suited in discussion elsewhere for more depth. That said, if you'd like to see the entire series, you can try here...

Reactions: Unix
Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nice! I think that the books in between Avatar and Korra added a lot of depth to the canonical story. I'm sure these will do the same.
Agreed

Upvote 0