"Legend of Korra", Eastern Views, T.V & Ethics: What Can Christians learn from Anime?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Daria. Was. Way. Beyond. Its. Time.

I loved that show!

I miss the 90s and early 00s.

Actually, Daria touched on almost the entire spectrum of teenaged/young adult issues.

"LA LA LAAA LAAA LAAA..."
Goodness, the 90s was awesome and I miss it too - and indeed, Daria was very much way ahead of its time when it came to touching on issues....hilarious as they did many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb9ysGWRawo

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
*reads blog* huh, this guy had a lot of good points. I had a feeling that there was just something a bit underwhelming about the finale, like it was a bit rushed--not in terms of production but in terms of plot. Like there was something to be desired, with the side characters all being sort of, well, sidelined. Mako and Bolin barely got a word in with Korra. And I guess we can add Naga to the "missing characters report" :p. But since when was Korra a "POC"? There really isn't such a thing as a "person of color" in their world. :D
Didn't see it rushed at all, as it's easier to enjoy when having realistic expectations of the show (especially seeing what the producers had to work with dealing with a slashed budget and Nick not supporting them fully). They still came out on top - and although there were other dynamics I would have loved to see covered (such as seeing if all Red Lotus was erased - I was hoping for Kuvira to be connected with them somehow at the end) or showing what occurred with Vaatu, I do think it was rather flawless. Anyone can nit-pick, really, and say what was wrong with it - but again, it all goes back to what standard are you using...because the same people saying "Korra left me underwhelmed" also forget how others said the SAME things about the Last Airbender even as they were celebrating it.

Also, you may want to do better research on Korra if not being aware on how she is a person of Color - and Color was and IS a big deal in the Avatar Universe.

Also, more was shared here on the issue
:thumbsup:
And I actually kind of liked the part where Korra said that she "had to suffer to become more compassionate". Maybe it's not necessarily true since she probably had moments of compassion before, but it sort of paralleled my own personal issues. And the fact that I was ending this difficult time in my life just as the show was ending was pretty neat. :)
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was more than satisfied with the fight scenes in the last two episodes, especially watching it again.

To go to the OP, I am glad Korra didn't do anything I wanted. It is interesting; mercy and love seems to burn hotter than vengeance for bad guys/evil. Korra gave Kurvira mercy; that love and friendship she could have had (had she not been a murderous dictator) upset Kurvira more than if Korra had just decimated her. It reminds me of what Hell - from a perspective of a living and loving God would be like. Maybe it isn't literal hellfire, but the pain and burning comes from the full knowledge if what you missed out on had you chosen righteousness. Kurvira will spend a lot of time wondering "why... why did Korra spare me?" That hurts more than literal hellfire, I would think. Especially, if you get to see people having relationships with which you could have shared.

Maybe the real Hell is seeing the Light of true love and fellowship - from afar (like The Rich Man in Christ's parable.)

After having time to watch the final again, it delivered famously.

Even better; it allowed Korra to connect with a future of happiness, love and friendship.

Doesn't matter; Korra and team Avatar made their own future.

Rethinking the finale, it was actually done very well. I was judging it based on ADULT amines I have seen, forgetting this is a Nickelodeon show. It was great in general!

And, did anyone else know David Faustino (Bud Bundy from "Married With Children) was the voice of Mako? :D
So true :thumbsup:

It's beautiful, as you said, that Korra (rather than focusing on the Happiness that was lost with her past Avatar Lives - even though she still has memories of others she met like Aang and Wan) chose to make a new future - with her being the beginning link for a new line that will look back on what she created...

Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Gxg (G²);66823160 said:
Goodness, the 90s was awesome and I miss it too - and indeed, Daria was very much way ahead of its time when it came to touching on issues....hilarious as they did many times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb9ysGWRawo

Has it really been 20 years?!

*Checks beard for gray hairs*

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Has it really been 20 years?!

*Checks beard for gray hairs*
They will be saying the same thing about shows like Korra in the future...

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Annie Awards ceremony is scheduled for Jan 31st. Not sure the time yet but it will be streamed (probably on their website).

Cool, I'll try to check it out. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't say Gravity Falls is undeserving; as silly and lighthearted as it starts out, there are some very dark undertones and it's all only hinted at for those who are watching extremely closely. As simple as the animation is, there were scenes that were legitimately frightening. It gets very deep and you don't even notice you're going down the rabbit hole.

Dreamworks and Disney pretty much walked away with almost all of the awards. Here's the list of winners

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't say Gravity Falls is undeserving; as silly and lighthearted as it starts out, there are some very dark undertones and it's all only hinted at for those who are watching extremely closely. As simple as the animation is, there were scenes that were legitimately frightening. It gets very deep and you don't even notice you're going down the rabbit hole.

Dreamworks and Disney pretty much walked away with almost all of the awards. Here's the list of winners
I can definitely see the series having dark undertones and get the concept...

Nonetheless, there are some shows I'm just not that interested in....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"Samurai Gun"?

'

On a side note, concerning the Samurai, have you ever heard of the anime Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl?

For a brief excerpt:

Jiyu Nanohana is an ordinary schoolgirl until she runs across a scatterbrained 300 year old samurai who tells her that she is the reincarnation of Yagyu Jubei. With the help of the "Lovely Eyepatch" she transforms into the legendary swordsman whenever she needs to use his awesome fighting ability, which she needs to do quite often as a rival clan is dead set on conquering Yagyu to satisfy an old family grudge.

Ninja-Girls-female-ninjas-32208466-300-242.jpg

27359-jubei_chan2.png

18s8hnwq0wzavjpg.jpg

Very fascinating concept and was glad to watch the series - as well as the animation, which was top notch. As another noted, "having a heart-shaped eyepatch imbued with the spirit of one of Japan’s most powerful warriors is supposed to be a bit silly.." but it doesn't mean when she's fighting that she's still not hard-core

Of course, outside of the series itself, what's interesting is what it alludes to - seeing that there were actually female samurai in history and it's fascinating to see how often they went out to battle (even though the media often portrays the world of samurai as being only for males - with that image repeating itself in the media). More on the issue of female samurai can be found in Tomoe Gozen ? Female Samurai Warrior and Onna bugeisha - The Powerful Female Samurai Warrior

female-e1375404164928.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Still find it unfair to see how things went at the event....

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0