"Legend of Korra", Eastern Views, T.V & Ethics: What Can Christians learn from Anime?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
First impressions is that it's better than Star Wars Rebels.
(spoilers)
That is so true...

I was expecting some kind of major story arc with the humans and spirits struggling to get along and was surprised the episode was like, "oh, everything is fine and people get along great". Even more surprising is how quickly they learned to get along especially with Korra being absent.
I think it does show the issue of progression and the reality that it's not as if there's a formula for how quicky people are able to learn to adapt to new realities. The Spirit Wilds are one of the best symbolizations of how much things have changed - and although new events can occur in the future that will change things with how much peace can occur, I don't think it's bad to show development in a good sense - people can learn to get along with the mysterious if forced to do so....and it seems they learned to make the most of it with Republic City.

I like Prince Wu as comic relief (reminds me of Varrick, who I also really like).
Not really digging Prince Wu, as he doesn't seem to be in ANY WAY capable of rulling an entire kingdom with his focus and immaturity.....

Perhaps he'll be taken out
Don't care for the airbender's superhero look but I like the earth bender uniforms.
It seems the uniforms are a means of showing how the Air Nation has really CHANGED - for not all in the nation have dropped traditional dress - but in their role as peacemakers and law-keepers, it seems the new look has the same traditional colors but is modernized to at least combine the use of their flying sticks (Like how Aang had) with their dress....giving them some of the similar abilities of flight that Zaheer had.
I'm intrigued by Kurvira. I wonder if she's going to be a psychologically disturbed, or sincere commander (I forgot her rank)
I'm thinking Kurvira will be an enemy due to her passion and drive - but also being an issue when seeing the length she'll go to win others to what she feels is right. There's no escaping the fact that she does promote techno-fascism. And in truefascism doesn’t get started because one person said so, but because of years of societal collapse where a quicker way to acquire order becomes more engaging than waiting for the ideal - people end up serving the state quicker in tough times than easy ones...and in return for state support, you see others getting food, supplies and protection as well as technological advancements. Hopefully we can see it play out where things come in order - for somewhere between an absence of leadership and Kuvira's techno-fascism is a society living by the Avatar's philosophy.

And when seeing who she is, I cannot help but sympathize with her. As another noted:

Kuvira is one of the characters I find most fascinating at the moment, and not just because she’s a lot of fun to watch on screen.

The thing that piques my interest the most is this — what sort of place is there for Kuvira in the world that her international backers have given her a mandate to create?

It’s obvious that Kuvira’s current position — Interim President — is intended to be temporary. She’s basically been hired to do all of the difficult and often dirty work of wrangling dozens of broken-but-proud states and restoring them to their former positions as pieces of a united Earth Kingdom… and, when that’s done, she’s expected to hand the keys over to an incompetent kid with a blood claim to that kingdom’s throne.

But, if that’s the case, what can she expect to happen to her when she’s done? Is she intended to do all of that work and then fade into obscurity? Would that even be possible, when she’d proven herself as a better leader on the world stage through her success than the kid who replaced her? Or would her backers allow her to remain as commander-in-chief of the Earth Kingdom military and worry every day that she’d eventually decide to overthrow or puppetize the King?

Once her work is done, Kuvira becomes a liability to the people who hired her. She makes a better scapegoat than an ally, a figurative dishrag that can be disposed of because it’s dirty once the mess is cleaned. She can be safely consigned to the dustbin of history to make the new regime and her international backers look better, with infamy being her only reward.

In that light, her obvious attempts to build a power base for herself are actually kind of sympathetic. After all, it’s a lot harder to get rid of her if she’s stopped the bandit attacks by gaining their loyalty rather than driving them off by force.

Who knows where things will go with her
direction..

tumblr_nd76xgVOFu1qc1a0go1_1280.png

tumblr_nd770rbaIs1shyazao1_1280.png

tumblr_nd770rbaIs1shyazao2_1280.png

tumblr_nd770rbaIs1shyazao3_1280.png

tumblr_nd770rbaIs1shyazao6_1280.png

tumblr_nd770rbaIs1shyazao6_1280.png

And as it concerns the future, I think she's going to make a move on Republic City ...if looking closely at her map and the areas that were NOT conquered in Earth Kingdom territory (the Republic Nations being among them).

As another noted best:

Did anyone look at Kuvira’s map closely?

One of the areas that she has left to conquer is where Republic City is located. What if she plans to overthrow President Raiko and take over Republic City? My prediction is that is what will happen to make her become the antagonist and, quite possibly, will require Korra to return.

Additionally,as another noted best:

HOW DID WE NOT NOTICE KUVIRA'S MAP???
Well well would you look at that…

tumblr_inline_nefkguC4YN1s408zu.png

Now look at the maroon shaded area that represents the United Republic…

tumblr_inline_nefkkfWXUC1s408zu.png
I guess we know where the final battle will take place…

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Don't care for the airbender's superhero look but I like the earth bender uniforms.

I'm intrigued by Kurvira. I wonder if she's going to be a psychologically disturbed, or sincere commander (I forgot her rank)
More was discussed recently at New York's Comic Con which started today:

10686976_971021459581114_2340971158022224816_n.png

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
There were some really great visuals with the avatar spirit stalker thing. That scenario where the malevolent thing is following you around and just silently watching from the shadows is something that I find to be particularly disturbing.

I'm still kind of hoping that it's all in her mind, though. She's just running from herself and her identity as the Avatar but I know the dog/spirit could see it too. We see Katara healing Korra's body but she's still clearly dealing with PTSD. After saving the world a few times, maybe this season, she needs to save herself.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There were some really great visuals with the avatar spirit stalker thing. That scenario where the malevolent thing is following you around and just silently watching from the shadows is something that I find to be particularly disturbing.

I'm still kind of hoping that it's all in her mind, though. She's just running from herself and her identity as the Avatar but I know the dog/spirit could see it too. We see Katara healing Korra's body but she's still clearly dealing with PTSD. After saving the world a few times, maybe this season, she needs to save herself.
The visuals were very stunning indeed - it gave the impression that Korra was being stalked by something familiar and I wonder how she will confront that in the future. The way that the dog spirit could see it as well makes me consider that it is not simply in her mind..

tumblr_nczr1uufN61rogcuio6_250.gif

tumblr_nczr1uufN61rogcuio1_250.gif

tumblr_nczr1uufN61rogcuio7_250.gif

tumblr_nczr1uufN61rogcuio5_250.gif

tumblr_nczr1uufN61rogcuio4_250.gif

tumblr_nczr1uufN61rogcuio9_250.gif

They discussed some of this at Comic Con in New York:

The Legend of Korra: What to Expect from the Final Episodes - NYCC 2014 - YouTube

They also discussed the reality of where the trajectory of things for this season will be pretty intense...

The Legend of Korra: Korra, Bolin and Mako on Book 4 - NYCC 2014 - YouTube

tumblr_nda03yhRUY1teo0c2o1_500.gif

tumblr_ndekvoUODe1u186djo1_1280.png

tumblr_ndepsfdUdn1u186djo2_1280.png

tumblr_ndepsfdUdn1u186djo4_1280.png

tumblr_ndepsfdUdn1u186djo1_1280.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Episode 2 was REALLY good!
Korra really has made a lot of progress as she has developed in her journey in the same way Aang has...

tumblr_ndaaweewmz1rss05ao1_250.gif

tumblr_nd9uossy5g1rss05ao1_250.gif

tumblr_ndaaweewmz1rss05ao2_250.gif

tumblr_ndaaweewmz1rss05ao4_250.gif

And as it concerns spiritual insights, I love how they seem to be making Korra much more in contact and in-tune with the world as she recovers - With the way things are going, it does seem to be a big battle coming up that places the Spiritual/Organic against the world of Technology and Might and Korra is literally being "brought back to her roots" with the instruction of Toph who is much more "down to earth" (no pun intended) - especially in light of what Toph told Korra on how practical her enlightenment has become

tumblr_ndlkgfVbms1rss05ao2_250.gif

tumblr_ndlkgfVbms1rss05ao5_250.gif

tumblr_ndlkgfVbms1rss05ao5_250.gif

tumblr_ndlkgfVbms1rss05ao1_250.gif

tumblr_ndlkgfVbms1rss05ao3_250.gif

tumblr_ndlkgfVbms1rss05ao6_250.gif

tumblr_ndlkgfVbms1rss05ao4_250.gif

That said, it will be interesting to see things develop more as it concerns the way the nation seems to be going even more into dangerous territory...

tumblr_ndnqcdkUOO1ti9nr8o2_250.gif

tumblr_ndnqcdkUOO1ti9nr8o1_250.gif
tumblr_ndnqhqKvke1qdlf5oo2_250.gif

tumblr_ndpfwmGL2F1ryt548o1_500.gif

tumblr_ndpfwmGL2F1ryt548o2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_ndpfwmGL2F1ryt548o3_r1_500.gif

tumblr_ndpfwmGL2F1ryt548o4_r1_500.gif

That said, it will be interesting to see how things resolve. As another noted best with Korra, "she's going to need more than punching to resolve the trouble brewing in the Earth Kingdom. The situation has grown far too complicated for this to come down to nothing more than a showdown between Korra and Kuvira. (I'm not ruling out a showdown, but other factors must come into play.) Toph is partially right; no matter what the Avatar does, trouble will always arise. But that's why the world still needs the Avatar"

It really seems the direction things are going is one where technology and innovation (as the Metal Bender clan is known for) are going to literally be shown to be dangerous in the wrong hands and the world is going to forever be altered...especially after seeing where the successive hereditary system of royalty was deemed archaic by Kuvira after she asserts that those at the forefront of technology and innovation should rule - as well as saying that the Earth Kingdom is no more and is hence forth an empire. IMHO, I don't see Kuvira offering up a democracy or republic to her people since she's calling it an EMPIRE, as an emperor or empress is just as bad as a king or queen.....but Kuvira is a big hero to earth people now.

I do hope things will continue to be intensified as Korra continues her training under Toph - excellent as she is and tough as nails in her YODA role ...:) - and the way Toph has grown in so much wisdom to realize that Korra has been coddled by everyone and needs tough as nails in her treatment, it will be amazing to see what develops...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zouRX2Tw6Ew

Additionally, On a side note, Kurvira is seeming to remind me a bit like Magneto in her nationalistic speeches and the way she seems to have a Messiah complex...like the Earth Kingdom version of Napoleon. Someone noted it best when saying the following:

"Napoléon did take part in the French Revolution. He just didn't take a very important role. He did put an end to it when he became Consul in 1799 and Emperor of the French afterwards in 1804. France was then in turmoil. There was banditism and opposition from royalists, the economy was in chambles, the government (the Directoire) weak and corrupt. Napoleon pacified France, restored a central authority, made a Civil Code, revived its economy.

[URL="http://sociological-eye.blogspot.com/2014/01/napoleon-as-ceo-career-of-emotional_3.html"]

Kuvira did not start the "Revolution". The Red Lotus did. Like Napoléon, she's a military. Like Napoléon, she puts peace and order back in the nation. Like Napoléon, she does not restore the Kingdom, but proclaims an Empire. Of course, she's not a copy-paste of Napoléon, but I find much similitudes between the two. Even the uniforms. Notice the high collar and the shape of the spaulders.[/URL]

Kuvira, in a lot of ways, represents the Kuomintang, the Chinese Nationalist Party of the early 20th century, who are still around now as one of the major political parties of Taiwan.

The Kuomintang had their origins in a modern, democratic movement, but after [URL="http://nottspolitics.org/2011/11/04/dictators-elections-and-history/"]Chiang Kai-Shek, their military leader, took over, they became more authoritarian.

At the time of their rise, China was in chaos — the Qing Dynasty had collapsed, and much of the country was controlled by petty warlords, while Western powers controlled the major port cities. The Kuomintang aimed to reunite China, although they got distracted fighting the Communists. Then Japan invaded Manchuria, and both groups put their differences aside, but the civil war resumed as soon as Japan was defeated in WW2.

Anyway, the Kuomintang didn’t have a fascist ideology like the Nazis, but they were super right wing and repressive, just as Kuvira is turning out to be with the allusions to prison camps in “The Coronation”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Kuvira - Chiang Kai-Shek parallel is deliberate, since Bryke are pretty on the ball, and like him, Kuvira has learned at the feet of a relatively enlightened democratic leader. [/URL]

tumblr_ndog09dxIC1s955oro1_1280.png

And it would be amazing if they had it where Avatar Wan somehow made a comeback into Korra's life to show her what would happen if there was never an Avatar - seeing how things go. Korra will need all the help she can get - and if she could get in touch with her past lives somehow or learn how to find them, that would be amazing...

tumblr_ndpbhbe57I1s9wwoco2_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Seeing the way the woman is beloved by many in the Earth Kingdom, I don't see how it will be possible for Korra to take her out without either replacing her somehow - or being made into a bad person in the eyes of the public..even though it seems obvious how much the character of Kuriva changed...

tumblr_ndo1w7uvcc1u0y1c4o1_500.png

tumblr_ndott9Twir1sm1ceuo1_1280.jpg

That said, I am wondering if Lin Beifong will be able to rise up and do damage.....as it'd be a trip if she became the person to be the most exalted in power

tumblr_ndo993nMxR1sq535bo1_1280.jpg

But of course, it'll be hard to become greater than Toph - the original Beifong, as she said:

tumblr_nd9otePXbU1r8li0qo5_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was expecting some kind of major story arc with the humans and spirits struggling to get along and was surprised the episode was like, "oh, everything is fine and people get along great".
If seeing what Varrick is working on (if you saw the last episode), it may end up becoming just that - a season where spirits are misused for the purpose of powering Kurvira's war machine....

As another noted:

Heres something I noticed when referring back to the trailer after watching the episode. If these spirit vines are able to regenerate easily(like in the scene in 3x01 after Korra tries to spirit bend them away), then imagine how much spirit energy/power they could gain from them. Kuvira is going to need something to help run her army and those giant mecha tanks.

In the clip from the trailer, we see Varrick’s hair blowing but what is more important is the background. There are multiple smaller pieces of spirit vine in their own tubes. I think these individual tubes will be used to run the mecha tanks. In the screen shot from The Coronation, there are wires hooked up to the vines, like they are going to drain the energy.You can see the bolts on the capsules are similar. If I was going to put a tube that holds my power source, I would probably put it in the back of the suit also.

I also want to mention the fact that there was some HUGE foreshadowing to this in the season finale of Book 2. Varrick is in prison, but what exactly sets him free? THE SPIRIT VINES.

tumblr_ndm5jfsieh1rmvhgjo3_250.gif

tumblr_inline_ndmg9fzum21s7fye8.png

Also Bryke mentioned that there was something that links books 2, 3, and 4 together. I think this is what they were talking about.

Legend Of Korra Season 4 Episode 3 - TOP 5 [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Moments - YouTube

tumblr_ndm20xh3VO1r3kaq5o1_1280.gif

tumblr_ndmggd0ZIm1sfmsyjo2_1280.png

tumblr_ndmggd0ZIm1sfmsyjo4_1280.png

tumblr_ndmggd0ZIm1sfmsyjo3_1280.png

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There will never be air benders in the kind of dress that Aang had probably...in the presentations of Korra's last season.

But who knows - would love it if they go back...

tumblr_nd9otePXbU1r8li0qo4_1280.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Seeing the way the woman is beloved by many in the Earth Kingdom, I don't see how it will be possible for Korra to take her out without either replacing her somehow - or being made into a bad person in the eyes of the public..even though it seems obvious how much the character of Kuriva changed...

My prediction is Korra won't be able to take on Kuriva and her military alone, so she'll enlist the spirits when they see what Kuriva is doing with the vines. I'm sure Bolin will change sides but I hope Varrick does too.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My prediction is Korra won't be able to take on Kuriva and her military alone, so she'll enlist the spirits when they see what Kuriva is doing with the vines. I'm sure Bolin will change sides but I hope Varrick does too.
I think that's a fair assessment to make - and hopefully, it'll play out in a way where no choices will be easy. To see Korra enlist the Spirits, it'd be amazing if perhaps she even became more attuned to being Spirit - and perhaps forsook her earthly body altogether at the end in the same way Iroh did (not dying but transcending)....

I'm still betting that somehow the Spirit phantom haunting her may be Raava and that she'll reconnect with her - and then bring balance by having Raava join back with Vaatu to bring change..

tumblr_muxlvoxUgI1ri765qo6_r1_250.gif

tumblr_ndt9sxIAmx1qeqoawo1_400.png

As it concerns Bolin, he seems to be brain-washed and I do hope his eyes get opened to see what he created - with some serious consequences. If Opal got killed as a result of his siding with Kurvira, for example, that would really drive the issue home that there are always consequences to making the wrong choices. And with Varrick, the same thing would go for him as well if he decided to switch - but he's seeming more disconnected from amoral villian now in light of his cheering Kurvira on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My prediction is Korra won't be able to take on Kuriva and her military alone, so she'll enlist the spirits when they see what Kuriva is doing with the vines.
If Korra became like a Guru to the world, that would be amazing..

Legend Of Korra Season 4 Episode 4 - TOP 5 [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] Moments - YouTube

That said, I think it's amazing to see what Toph had to teach Korra - and the ways she broke things down. aS another noted, Amon, Unalaq and Zaheer aren't necessarily "evil" -- rather, they just took their moral ideologies to immoral extremes. But here, Korra finally made that connection herself, acknowledging her enemies' lessons of equality, spirituality and freedom. Perhaps now she can take in those lessons and apply them to her current situation with Kuvira.

tumblr_ndzmjl0Hg41tjtco1o1_500.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think it would make for some incredible visuals.
Glad to see Korra's back.
What visuals is it that you're taking on and what reference, to be certain? I may have missed what you meant..

Upvote 0