• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Legalism or Sunday keeping - what is the mark?

Discussion in 'Progressive/Moderate Adventists' started by bloodygrace, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Sunday keeping

50.0%
  2. Legalism

50.0%
  1. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+135
    Protestant
    Married
    Many Sabbath/law proponents are very vocal in their belief that Sunday keeping is the mark of the beast.

While most mainline Christians who have no set teaching on this see legalism or a fall from grace as the worst sin a Christian can commit.

So please vote and share your thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,754
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Ya need more options in order for me to make a vote.

3. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+135
    Protestant
    Married
    And what would those options be? #3 Grace - real Christians earn it by keeping the law.

4. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+9,559
    Anabaptist
    That would make 3 options no mark so far.

5. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+135
    Protestant
    Married
    Oh I forgot one, silly me. #4 eating processed pork butt

6. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+9,559
    Anabaptist
    silly? strange ?
    the mark ? 4 nos so far.

7. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+135
    Protestant
    Married
    Eating processed pork butt is a ticket straight to hell, man! That's no joke.

8. Dave-W

+15,754
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    I would not know ...

9. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+135
    Protestant
    Married
    Because your holier than thou-sands of lawyers?

10. Dave-W

+15,754
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    No, because I do not eat pork. So I would not know if it sends you to hell or not.

11. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+135
    Protestant
    Married
    I don't not eat pork...oink, oink!

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+3,125
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    I think this is the real substance in the intent for this thread. Speaks for itself.

Proof:

the "mark of the beast" is only mentioned in 2 or 3 chapters in the entire Bible -- and not a single one of them is quoted by the author of this thread.

The idea seems to be that to mock the Bible - by not quoting it at all to make these little "oink" comments -- nor even in the OP - is the "preferred path" of the author of the thread.

I prefer the Bible "instead".

Those who wish to simply mock the Bible - can have their thread to themselves.

13. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+135
    Protestant
    Married
    The mark of the beast goes in the hand and forehead and this was mentioned several times in the OT

And it shall be for a sign unto thee upon thine hand, and for a memorial between thine eyes, that the LORD’S law may be in thy mouth: Ex. 13:9

The mark of the beast is law keeping or legalism. Legalism is the sin that led to the crucifixion of Christ so this shouldn't be a surprise.

14. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,080
    Christian
    Single
    I have to wonder if some would call it legalism to not steal, kill, commit adultery, and so forth?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. bloodygrace

bloodygrace Newb Member

+135
    Protestant
    Married
    Legalism is trusting in the law so it most often refers to the good things one is doing not the negative.

16. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,080
    Christian
    Single
    Agree...trusting in keeping the law for salvation, as in not stealing, committing adultery....

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+3,125
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    you did not quote any text in the OT saying that the "mark of the beast goes in the hand and forehead"

Is there a reason for making your statement with no text saying it in the OT -- just claiming that it says that?

18. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+3,125
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Indeed -- "Do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:6 -- some appear to want to delete this command for Christians as if rebellion against God is a "good thing".

19. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+3,125
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Again - you simply "make that up" and "quote you" for your proof!!

why keep doing that?

I gave you a huge "hint" that the mark of the beast is only found in two chapters - Rev 13 and Rev 14. Why not go there and "read" before simply "making stuff up"??

20. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+3,125
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Ex 20:6 "Love Me and KEEP My Commandments"
    John 14:!5 "If you Love Me - KEEP My Commandments"
    1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of GOD"
    Rev 14:!2 "the SAINTS KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"

By contrast the "commandments of men" the "man-made-tradition" says

A complete rejection of the actual Bible statements on the subject

in Rev 13 - the beast and the mark of the beast deal with false worship and civil penalties for those who fail to comply with false worship.

In Rev 14 the mark of the beast is condemned and the saints are contrasted with those who have the mark - as follows:

Rev 14:!2 "the SAINTS KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus"