Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've heard stories of the opposite happenning political affiliation wise. It shouldn't be happenning to any kids anywhere.

I assume it does go both ways, however, the Democrat indoctrination in the realm of public schools is a stronger force than Republican indoctrination in private schools.

As long being a public school teacher requires mandatory public sector union membership (one of the largest lobbying forces for Democrats), this is always going to happen to a degree.

While I've never personally seen anything that could be considered bullying, I do remember from my days in high school many of the teachers expressing ideas that were very left-leaning.

In my 12th grade government class, the topics included
-the importance of unions
-the value of the progressive tax structure
-the importance of government assistance programs
-why we should spend less on defense

...but that could be just the particular teacher I had.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
The slippery slope I speak about is, ok, you want to wipe out the worst fringe of them. When that fringe is gone and there is no more fringe, what was a tier below them becomes the new fringe, and the cycle continues. You'll start with extremists, then drop to Tea Partiers, then mainstream conservatives, then the moderate conservatives like me, then the moderates, then the moderate liberals (who are now conservative by relative definition). You continue this cycle normally until everyone who doesn't believe exactly what you believe is gone.

It's egotistical and ridiculous. There's a reason there's a left wing and a right wing to balance us out.

alternatehistory.com?
That place is the most brainwashed I've seen in.....many, many years.

Actually no. But just that there are others like it that do exist scare me a bit.

And after dealing with the alpha male squad, I'd thought nothing'd scare me anymore. ^_^

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I assume it does go both ways, however, the Democrat indoctrination in the realm of public schools is a stronger force than Republican indoctrination in private schools.
There is also Republic indoctrination in public schools. Ex-military seem to have a greater presence in public schools than in private ones - at least, that has been my experience in Northern Virginia.

As long being a public school teacher requires mandatory public sector union membership (one of the largest lobbying forces for Democrats), this is always going to happen to a degree.
That's an assertion based on an assumption - unless you have stats to prove otherwise.

While I've never personally seen anything that could be considered bullying, I do remember from my days in high school many of the teachers expressing ideas that were very left-leaning.

In my 12th grade government class, the topics included
-the importance of unions
-the value of the progressive tax structure
-the importance of government assistance programs
-why we should spend less on defense

...but that could be just the particular teacher I had.
Yes, it might be. I recall us students getting suspended for wearing black armbands as a Vietnam war protest.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is also Republic indoctrination in public schools. Ex-military seem to have a greater presence in public schools than in private ones - at least, that has been my experience in Northern Virginia.

That's an assertion based on an assumption - unless you have stats to prove otherwise.

Yes, it might be. I recall us students getting suspended for wearing black armbands as a Vietnam war protest.

I don't think required union membership for public school teachers is an assumption...every public school teacher I've spoken to hasn't had the choice to be non-union.

As far as their donations and partisan politics are concerned...
Public Sector Unions | OpenSecrets

Teachers Unions | OpenSecrets

During the Vietnam war, I can see what you're saying to be true, it was a different climate and the relationship between the democrats and public sector unions wasn't as ingrained as it is now...

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think required union membership for public school teachers is an assumption...every public school teacher I've spoken to hasn't had the choice to be non-union.

As far as their donations and partisan politics are concerned...
Public Sector Unions | OpenSecrets

Teachers Unions | OpenSecrets

During the Vietnam war, I can see what you're saying to be true, it was a different climate and the relationship between the democrats and public sector unions wasn't as ingrained as it is now...

Well, now you are talking to one. And hey, not being in a union can save you about $500 a year here! That almost makes up for the lack of effective bargaining putting the state at the 4th lowest teacher pay rate. But hey, what's $10,000-20,000 less a year when you can save hundreds on union dues!

Right to work, because the prisoner's dilemma works so well!

EDIT: and even in non right to work state, the school or district can choose to disband the union. I don't know of any schools that have gone that route, but I know private company employees that have voted to go non-union.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[serious];62815336 said:
Well, now you are talking to one. And hey, not being in a union can save you about $500 a year here! That almost makes up for the lack of effective bargaining putting the state at the 4th lowest teacher pay rate. But hey, what's $10,000-20,000 less a year when you can save hundreds on union dues!

Right to work, because the prisoner's dilemma works so well!

EDIT: and even in non right to work state, the school or district can choose to disband the union. I don't know of any schools that have gone that route, but I know private company employees that have voted to go non-union.

Interesting...I wasn't aware that there were any states that allowed non-union public teachers...here in Ohio, if you want to be non-union you have to teach at a private school.

In regards to this topic though, would you think it's fair to say that "most" public school teachers in the country are required union states?

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting...I wasn't aware that there were any states that allowed non-union public teachers...here in Ohio, if you want to be non-union you have to teach at a private school.

In regards to this topic though, would you think it's fair to say that "most" public school teachers in the country are required union states?
I'm not aware of any state that requires all public schools form a union. Union decisions, whether to form or disband, are done by popular vote. As such, it would be impossible to force a majority of teachers to form a union in any state. By definition only a minority could be forced to do anything.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[serious];62820930 said:
I'm not aware of any state that requires all public schools form a union. Union decisions, whether to form or disband, are done by popular vote. As such, it would be impossible to force a majority of teachers to form a union in any state. By definition only a minority could be forced to do anything.

Sorry, maybe I'm not posting my thoughts correctly...

I mean if a new teacher is going to teach in a public school that's unionized, they don't have the option of being non-union. Once the union's already established in a school district, becoming a teacher in that school district requires union membership.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟38,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You seriously underestimate the cognitive dissonance of liberals...

Ding, ding, ding.

I was wondering who was gonna throw the first insult in a non-argument, where both sides were agreeing...

Upvote 0

[serious]

Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, maybe I'm not posting my thoughts correctly...

I mean if a new teacher is going to teach in a public school that's unionized, they don't have the option of being non-union. Once the union's already established in a school district, becoming a teacher in that school district requires union membership.

Well yeah, democracy does mean that sometimes you are outvoted.

Also, it's far from the only thing that will just-be-so until you are hired. The sick day policy, schedule, class sizes, etc are all things that would be preexisting. Unions though, unlike the rest of these things, can be removed or changed by the employees pretty easily if there is support for it. With a union being present, you are able to negotiate the rest as well. Hence why it's pretty rare for such a union to be disbanded.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Huh. I thought they usually waited until college to start ranting about Republicans.

A professor at the University of Southern California (USC) appears to have used a fall semester 2012 political science class to deliver sustained and angered attacks on Republicans, who he characterized as old, white, racist, and “losers.”

In a 15 min. video secretly captured by USC student Tyler Talgo, political science Professor Darry Sragow also appears to endorse the illegal suppression of Republican votes.

“You lose their information on the election in the mail,” he suggested when a student asked him how to keep Republicans from voting. “I mean there is lots of ways to do it [SIC].”

A teaching assistant (TA), who also appeared to work for the university, then seemed to suggest Black Panthers could be placed at polling stations to intimidate Republican voters.

Rather than rebuking the TA, Sragow appeared to confirm the suggestion.

“Yeah, yeah,” he said. “You can do that.”

Neither a spokesperson for USC, or professor Sragow, responded to multiple requests from Campus Reform seeking comment.

Can't link because the guy then starts throwing out the four-lettered words. :sorry:

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Huh. I thought they usually waited until college to start ranting about Republicans.

Can't link because the guy then starts throwing out the four-lettered words. :sorry:
Sounds like hypotheticals in direct response to a student question, sort of like entrapment. Did the teacher say any of those things ought to be done? Should the teacher have responded piously, "But that would be wrong!"?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like hypotheticals in direct response to a student question, sort of like entrapment. Did the teacher say any of those things ought to be done? Should the teacher have responded piously, "But that would be wrong!"?

Um, yeah, no. He goes on a full fifteen minute tirade and starts getting really worked up about it. Also, what sort of hypothetical question requires an answer that starts with calling Republicans "old, white, racist losers" and moves on to describe how to keep them from voting?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Um, yeah, no. He goes on a full fifteen minute tirade and starts getting really worked up about it. Also, what sort of hypothetical question requires an answer that starts with calling Republicans "old, white, racist losers" and moves on to describe how to keep them from voting?
The bolded is complete crap. The 15 minute video was edited down to 15 minutes out of the ENTIRE semester, all of the lectures were recorded according to the student who filmed it.

BTW, heres the link. If anyone is concerned about language, dont play the video in the link.

Professor Calls Republicans Stupid & Racist | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Professor Sragow told Fox News that he has absolutely no regrets over any of his classroom lectures.
“I have said them many times to many audiences, and if the student had told me he was taping my comments I still would have said them,” he told Fox News. “I had had this exact conversation with many of my Republican colleagues and friends.”
“While I am very candid and direct, I never say anything unless I am willing to have it repeated with attribution,” the professor said. “If he thought he was playing a dirty trick by taping me, it lacks creativity and the effort deserves maybe a C-plus.”

Sragow suggested that his harsh words were meant as a wake up call for the Republican Party.
“If the Republican Party in California doesn’t broaden its appeal, within the next few years there will be more independent voters in California than Republicans,” he said. ‘We need two strong parties in the state.”

The professor scoffed at the notion that conservative students aren’t given a fair shake.
“If this student was offended, he knows perfectly well that I encourage an open debate and active student participation in my classes,” Sragow told Fox News. “He could have challenged me.”

Upvote 0

ChristOurCaptain

Augsburgian Catholic
Feb 14, 2013
✟1,580.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The bolded is complete crap. The 15 minute video was edited down to 15 minutes out of the ENTIRE semester, all of the lectures were recorded according to the student who filmed it.

BTW, heres the link. If anyone is concerned about language, dont play the video in the link.

Professor Calls Republicans Stupid & Racist | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Yeah..."challenging" the guy who can totally bury you if he choses to, as he has near-sovereign power over the matter of whether or not you pass, and therefore can move on with your education.

Flunking someone who's just doing a p-poor job, is not only alright, but a matter of course. Flunking someone because you disagree with them, is another matter entirely. And this seems to be one of those cases where students who disagree with the teacher can fear that with good reason.

Upvote 0

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah..."challenging" the guy who can totally bury you if he choses to, as he has near-sovereign power over the matter of whether or not you pass, and therefore can move on with your education.

Flunking someone who's just doing a p-poor job, is not only alright, but a matter of course. Flunking someone because you disagree with them, is another matter entirely. And this seems to be one of those cases where students who disagree with the teacher can fear that with good reason.
Based on what evidence? Did you take his course? Did you test poorly despite your views?

The student who filmed these lectures certainly seems to think so, and yet he apparently passed the class, has not filed a complaint, and indeed did not even try to discuss his problems with his professor. In the video, a student raises the question about the reaction to Romneys Binders Full of Women comment. The class devolves into a loud discussion, the professor silences the class, listens to the students question, and then gives his opinion. There is no evidence of intimidation or ideological favoritism. Sure, the dude leans left, admits it, and teaches the class from that perspective. But without seeing the entirety of his lectures there is no reason to conclude that he is some kind of tyrant. Especially given that he freely admits and owns up to his style, rather than trying to retreat from his stances.

Upvote 0