Left Behind Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LilyLamb

Can I discuss this here without someone thinking I need to be calmed down or I'm being hostile??? :)

I have tried to think of all the possible scenarios of Chang having a mark and being a believer but I cannot reconcile it with scripture that says that those who have the mark will come under God's wrath - and the scriptures say that we are not appointed unto wrath.

Can anyone help me understand this???

Upvote 0

onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Yes, you may discuss it here.

Personally I do not believe scripture supports a believer receiving the mark. Didn't read the last book so I don't know if Chang actually did or not, or if that is left hanging.

God marks us as His, I don't see how we can then take the mark of the beast.

Upvote 0
L

LilyLamb

I remember that too - but if you read the link, you will see that Jenkins says that Chang IS a believer. ;)

Mr. Jenkins says ...

Chang is a true believe and he does not worship the beast. Calm down and keep reading. We're not going to all of a sudden go apostate on you. :)

Trust me, you have heard only Chang's side of this story. Do you think if one of the characters discovers a true account of what happened that it will jibe with Chang thinks he remembers? Do you really think we who have been as careful with Scripture as we know how would suddenly veer off course in book 8 and imply something wholly unbiblical?

This plot twist was my idea and of course I checked it with the best living resource a writer could have. Dr. LaHaye liked it and combed the Scriptures to be sure nothing there precluded it. I warned him to be ready for the fire storm before the whole thing was played out.

That's where we stand now. Employing the best advice from Verbal Judo, I should have said, "Is there anything I can say (without giving the story away) that will get you to trust us until this is played out in book 9?"

So ... we shall see what happens - I don't know how he's gonna pull it off - but we shall see.

Upvote 0
C

carma

Well if he is a believer and if they have him actually receiving the mark, I don't know how they are going to pull it off, unless there is something there in scripture that I am not aware of, which is a possibility. I've read all of scripture several times, but I don't have it all memorized.

Like I have said to a few people, I don't see anyone making anybody take the mark, it would be, "You must take this" and when they refuse for any reason, "You lose your head!"

No forcing, no begging (except by loved ones), simply you do it with no fuss or you die.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

onesheep

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
I think that because it was forced on him without him consenting, he was ableto have both marks.
Except by reading Scripture you aren't going to find anything about that differentiates between being forced or not. If you take the mark, you take the mark; force isn't an issue.

And my pesonal belief is they cannot both exist on the same person. It is not "just a mark."

Upvote 0
L

LilyLamb

Actually in Revelation 13:16 it says - "The second beast also forced all people, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to have a mark on their right hand or on their forehead."

So then if ALL will be FORCED to take the mark then Chang's situation isn't exclusive or special or different or acceptable - ALL will be FORCED by the second beast to have the mark.

And according to the very next chapter the smoke of their torment rises forever and ever - no exceptions.

Upvote 0

onesheep

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Yep, ALL will be forced. All being those that are not saved.

Those that are saved cannot take it or they will not survive.

All those that do not take it will die. Those marked by God cannot take the mark of the beast, they will die.

Except the 144,000, they are protected. Kind of makes that ALL something different than when we think.

Kind of falls into the:

Scripture says ALL israel shall be saved.
Further, it says that 1/3 of Israel shall be redeemed.

That's a contradiction unless the two are different.
#1: 1/3 of all the people with the blood of Jacob.
#2: All Israel = 1/3.

Just learned that. :D

I'll be bowing out of this discussion, LL, but I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
L

LilyLamb

To me this, and other hypothetical questions like it, says that God is outta control and unable to protect His children. I've heard this argument time and again but it doesn't add up when you look at the "character" of God. I believe He is our hiding place and we need not fear being gathered up into some kind of concentration camp and being injected with a mark while we are unconscious.

However, for the sake of argument - IF, and that's a mighty big IF this were to occur then I would have to believe that God sees the heart and will judge accordingly.

Alas - Chang was not unconscious though, so it's a moot point for his situation.

My DD's are 22 and 17 and there is no way on God's green earth they would allow someone to place a mark on them - they're not strong enough to "resist" but by golly they wouldn't hide behind a fear of "needles" and would let the folks know that they are believers and not about to pledge allegiance to the beast as their allegiance already belongs to the Lamb.

Upvote 0

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
I'm amazed that there is even an issue over this. I sincerely hope people haven't taken the Left Behind series to be totally theologically sound. After all, it's only a fiction based on as much biblical fact as possible, but it's still fiction, and prone to human error.

I do urge to take a step back and not consider the Left Behind series as 'canon' to the end times. To do so would make it very hard for one to change their mind if the scenario we read in the series is nothing at all what does happen when we actually go through it.

<><

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.