Left and Right Is it really so clear cut?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Campaign blurbs that resonated....

1. I don't want to pay for someone else's abortion as a matter of US policy. Birthday abortion, and abortion-on-demands don't sound good to me.
2. I don't believe that drugs and surgery should be used on children to change girls into boys or vice versa.
3. I don't believe borders should be unmanaged and open -- as we observe the chaos at the border
4. I don't believe the economy is as perfect as the Administration today claims
5. I believe we shot ourselves in the Green foot in the case of gas, diesel, energy supply holding us hostage to Russian and Saudi whims.
6. It pays to have a president who is still somewhere near his prime -- rather than a lot of puppet-on-a-string gaffs coming out in public.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
spectrum-2.jpg
If you put this graph on a cylinder, with fascism beside communism, it be closer to the truth.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟105,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think corporations should have to contribute their fair share in taxes.
Could you explain how government can collect taxes from a corporation without those taxes just being passed down to the customers of that corporation? I would say it is impossible to tax a corporation without it adversely affecting the people who use the services of said corporation.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟148,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Could you explain how government can collect taxes from a corporation without those taxes just being passed down to the customers of that corporation? I would say it is impossible to tax a corporation without it adversely affecting the people who use the services of said corporation.
It needs to happen however it's done. It may affect customers in a relatively small way I suppose. But citizens pay taxes. Corporations are allowed to keep billions that would otherwise boost our economy and relieve some of the burden off the shoulders of us poor and middle class folks.

55 Corporations Paid $0 in Federal Taxes on 2020 Profits

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It needs to happen however it's done. It may affect customers in a relatively small way I suppose. But citizens pay taxes. Corporations are allowed to keep billions that would otherwise boost our economy and relieve some of the burden off the shoulders of us poor and middle class folks.

Such things are done on the principle of the 5 Cent Sale. In a 5 Cent Sale, a retailer offers an item at a ridiculously low price, knowing he will take a loss on the item but more than make up for it in sales of related items. Local and state governments like to give corporations tax breaks because even though that means a loss of revenue on the company, they more than make up for it through the improvement in the economy, which means they collect more tax revenue on other things. This is the principle on which Disney got it's sweetheart deal in Florida.

Of course, local and state governments can remove tax breaks, as happened to Disney and others. Of course, the company can then move elsewhere, taking those tax revenues and jobs and associated revenue elsewhere, or can simply fold and produce nothing at all.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟148,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Such things are done on the principle of the 5 Cent Sale. In a 5 Cent Sale, a retailer offers an item at a ridiculously low price, knowing he will take a loss on the item but more than make up for it in sales of related items. Local and state governments like to give corporations tax breaks because even though that means a loss of revenue on the company, they more than make up for it through the improvement in the economy, which means they collect more tax revenue on other things. This is the principle on which Disney got it's sweetheart deal in Florida.

Of course, local and state governments can remove tax breaks, as happened to Disney and others. Of course, the company can then move elsewhere, taking those tax revenues and jobs and associated revenue elsewhere, or can simply fold and produce nothing at all.
Yeah, I remember Amazon was going to build a facility in New York recently. They were asking for ridiculous tax breaks and there was a huge backlash from the community. I think Alexandria was involved. Amazon backed out of the plan for NY. They brought it here to Virginia.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟105,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

https://www.cato.org/commentary/taxing-corporations-might-be-good-politics-its-still-bad-policy

While it sounds like a righteous cause to take the tax the evil corporation stand, ultimately it is bad policy that most affects the common man.

A portion of the linked article:

"The Perils of Corporate Income Taxes

There’s also plenty of evidence that corporate taxes are a pretty lousy way to finance government operations and raise all sorts of problems. Most basically, there’s the fact that corporations, while technically paying corporate taxes, don’t bear their ultimate burden (what we call “tax incidence”). Instead, academic research shows that corporate taxes are actually paid by a combination of shareholders, workers, and consumers. A 2020 paper, for example, estimated that “the incidence on consumers, workers, and shareholders is 31 percent, 38 percent, and 31 percent, respectively”—thus showing that corporate taxes aren’t very good at taxing “capital,” and that a substantial share of corporate taxes are simply passed on through retail prices or lower wages. As AEI’s Michael Strain recently noted, even left‐leaning economists acknowledge that workers bear a significant portion of a corporate tax burden."

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe better to tax the exorbitant salaries and dividends.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟148,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
https://www.cato.org/commentary/taxing-corporations-might-be-good-politics-its-still-bad-policy

While it sounds like a righteous cause to take the tax the evil corporation stand, ultimately it is bad policy that most affects the common man.

A portion of the linked article:

"The Perils of Corporate Income Taxes

There’s also plenty of evidence that corporate taxes are a pretty lousy way to finance government operations and raise all sorts of problems. Most basically, there’s the fact that corporations, while technically paying corporate taxes, don’t bear their ultimate burden (what we call “tax incidence”). Instead, academic research shows that corporate taxes are actually paid by a combination of shareholders, workers, and consumers. A 2020 paper, for example, estimated that “the incidence on consumers, workers, and shareholders is 31 percent, 38 percent, and 31 percent, respectively”—thus showing that corporate taxes aren’t very good at taxing “capital,” and that a substantial share of corporate taxes are simply passed on through retail prices or lower wages. As AEI’s Michael Strain recently noted, even left‐leaning economists acknowledge that workers bear a significant portion of a corporate tax burden."

Thanks. That is interesting to learn.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't know of exorbitant dividends. These are usually a small amount. It's just that, like rain drops, small amounts can add up in large quantities.

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, dividends are taxed the same as any other source of income.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟105,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just a thought: Maybe elect people to government who are actually looking to cut spending instead of searching for more creative ways to rob people and yes corporations of their EARNED money just to feed an out of control government.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟105,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Already happening.

Even if there are loop holes that allow some tax avoidance it is the politicians who passed those tax laws. So why are they crying for more? In the history of this country personal income tax is a relatively new thing ( Passed by Congress on July 2, 1909, and ratified February 3, 1913) it has turned our government into a money grabbing monster.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟105,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟105,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just wondering why the elections in areas that end up deciding the balance of power usually take extended periods of time to count their votes? Why can Florida count votes efficiently and Arizona cannot seem to get their act together? Could it just possibly be that dragging out the counting time allows more manipulation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hvizsgyak

Supporter
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You mean like someone had too much coffee and nothing else to do?

No, I would say like a person who has a lot to say and is laying their case out so the whole world can understand their position. Brilliant!!! Thank you for taking the time to do this; I'm bookmarking this one. Oh, and you deserve another cup of coffee; lets see what that will bring about for us to read.:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering why the elections in areas that end up deciding the balance of power usually take extended periods of time to count their votes? Why can Florida count votes efficiently and Arizona cannot seem to get their act together? Could it just possibly be that dragging out the counting time allows more manipulation?

Just suggesting that is sufficient for it to be called "misinformation." Even if there is manipulation, it wouldn't matter if the race wasn't close.

As it happens, I was musing to a friend that a particular county in a state other that the ones mentioned returned results faster in the says of the mechanical voting machines. Hs said he had an aunt who was a poll worker for a nearby county, and for whatever reason, they brought in new people. The trouble was, his aunt was the only one with experience in uploading the results, and the new ones had to quickly learn.

All this said, Florida's extended saga in 2000 was due to the type of ballot and reader. I don't know what the issue is in that one county in Arizona. It could be nothing more than Murphey's third law.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I would say like a person who has a lot to say and is laying their case out so the whole world can understand their position. Brilliant!!! Thank you for taking the time to do this; I'm bookmarking this one. Oh, and you deserve another cup of coffee; lets see what that will bring about for us to read.:oldthumbsup:
That is nice to hear. Too much creamer in my coffee today though. And as I look over it all I am right here and left there. No wonder I am frustrated every election.

Reactions: Hvizsgyak
Upvote 0