Lee Hand Press

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I prefer lead for cost, and they seal the bore better, so usually are loaded 1/2 grain lower than jacketed bullets. I don't believe there is a taper, and I don't believe the 9mm case is tapered, 30 Carbine case has a taper to ensure if the spent case moves at all it will be easily ejected, it is the only one I consider tapered.

• Informative
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟824,061.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
For pistol I have two Lee Pro1000 presses i bought used; one for 9mm, 40 S & W and .38/.357 set up with small primer; the other set up with large primer for .45; I have an old Lyman Turret press I use for 6.5 x 55 and 7 x 57. They work well for me, but you need to be a bit of a mechanic or engineer to work with them Set up is critical for the auto-prime, and the auto-prime must be kept clean. The shell feeder and collator work pretty good but you do get the odd upside down shell. What you shoot and how much you shoot are the deciding factors.

Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A couple old military calibers, 6.5x55 and 7x57, do you like old stuff?
Also, I wish I could get some large pistol primers to someone who needed them, don't see my self doing much with them anymore.
Not selling of course as per rules

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟414,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@MarkRohfrietsch how do you mean engineer? I have an old caliber now that does take special attention. All the load data I could get was light loads. Pretty straight forward I guess trying to work up a load, but being an old gun having to watch pressure. Do you have a rolling block maybe for your 7x57?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟824,061.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
A couple old military calibers, 6.5x55 and 7x57, do you like old stuff?
Also, I wish I could get some large pistol primers to someone who needed them, don't see my self doing much with them anymore
My 7x57 is a sporterized Chilean Mauser, my 6.5x55 is a new manufacture Zastava rifle with the modern 6.5x55 SE Caliber designation. Not sure what SE actually means, but rifles with these designations are designed to take higher pressures than the old two lug Military Mausers. Ballistically, the SE out performs the 6.5 Creedmore by a couple hundred FPS. These two calibers are not so popular in Canada, and are even less popular in the US, but in Europe these two are the most popular hunting rounds. 7x55 is good for pretty much anything. At the time I bought it, about 40 years ago, where I live (Southern Ontario) had a caliber limit for hunting of .280, so 7mm was OK. Because of the denser population and the increasing popularity of 7mm wildcats and magnums, the government lowered the Caliber limit to .270; 6.5x55 is .264; flat shooting and profoundly accurate due to it's high Ballistic Coefficient; and loadable for everything from groundhog sized varmints to Moose and Bear. IMO as perfect an "all round" cartridge as you can get. Regarding your primers; advertise on Gun Post or some other forum. I hear primers are in short supply in the US right now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟414,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My 6.5x53r Dutch is a fun round. It is not like the 6.5x55 Swede .its an antique-obsolete. There is a guy who makes the brass. The bullets are the same but lead has to be .269 to fill the grooves. I don’t have the same problem you do with great accuracy though, but it’s getting there. I always wanted a 6.5 Remington magnum. That’s how I got into 6.5s, because it was bad A. I followed them for years before I got this one. It shoots light or heavy bullets well.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟414,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is something about those long bullets and less recoil too. They get always been good but underrated. I just want mine for plinkin’ once I get a load and bullet combination. But I’m not that deep.

Upvote 0