Led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven satanic?!?!?!?!?

ThePerfectNobody

Christian Critic
Sep 10, 2013
✟15,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe in God, AND I like Led Zeppelin. They were gifted musicians, and that gift came from God. If Luke can find a tiny thread of good in Darth Vader, cant you believe for one minute that Jimmy Page has at least one shred of spiritual decency? Why would you rather condemn him than help him find his own God light inside?

Did you used to listen to Pink Floyd also? I wonder, because this attitude is so "us and them".......

This is exactly the kind of stuff my mom slapped me in the face with every day when I was little. She scared away a million times more people from Christ than she ever won over, including me. If being a Christian meant being like her, then No Thanks! People who are looking for reasons to believe just aren't that shallow or that unsophisticated.

I know you are only a teen ager right now, but this kind of superficial dogma is the very reason why non-believers cannot take Christians seriously. You cant just quote King James any more, condemning people to hell who you dont know anything about, and expect them to either fall to their knees or else burn with rage. The world desperately needs Christians who are more sophisticated than this now. Try studying philosophy and theology and sociology, then read Lee Strobel and CS Lewis, read what the atheists have to say so you can intelligently assess their positions, then use a more subtle and intellectual delivery. You will have far more positive influence over people that way than with the attitude in the quote.

And read a little history about the human beings in the band before you pre-judge them. If you grew up with my mom, you'd be just as curious about the other "belief systems" as you say Jimmy Page was. 99% of the time, youth are driven to what they believe by the way their parents and their families treat them when they are growing up. - SC

This is great advice, SC. Your mom's not the only person who believes rock music is the work of the devil. They made fun of that kind of belief in an episode of My Name is Earl where this group of Amish like people even condemned wheels believing creativity is evil, when God clearly CREATED Earth, us, stars, the sky, birds, beasts, plants, and everything! How's a freakin' wheel going to kill anyone? The same goes for a lot of rock music.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This has gone waaaaaay too far overboard. Like most of the classic rock bands, Led Zeppelin wrote about topics that were prevalent and popular at the time. Many of Plant's and Page's lyrics are culled from references to tidbits in Lord Of The Rings. I listened to many songs backwards when I was younger and I have never heard anything that sounds like complete English sentences. It all sounds like gibberish, maybe....MAYBE.....with a few coincidences here and there, like the "666" you say is in the Stairway lyric. Sure, it kinda sounds like "six six six." But so what? To say it is deliberately engineered and produced to have intelligible English spoken messages about satan worship when played backwards is ridiculous. Except for obvious "plants" (no pun intended!) like the Pink Floyd message.

Of course, the Beatles started this craziness when they experimented with playing tape backwards in Revolution #9. I have no doubt at all that people like charlie manson and his herd taking enough LSD and pot and alcohol (which they most certainly were taking!) could convince themselves, if they wanted to, that Rev #9 backwards had Dorothy singing Pomp & Circumstance to the Wizard of Oz! They obviously had other ideas, but I guarantee you they had those ideas long before they ever heard Revolution #9 backwards!

"Don't be deceived, most secular musicians are knowingly serving the devil in order to gain fame and fortune."

I dont suppose you care to provide any hard evidence of that assertion? Like a photo of a contract, preferably signed by some famous rocker, with a clause at the bottom that says "You will be enslaved to Satan for the term of this contract." Did you actually intend for this claim to be taken literally? Or were you making a generalized stereotype based on observations of the demeanor, attitudes, immaturity, and life styles of those who have actually suffered thru fame and fortune?

This is my first time here. I'm sorry to say that the very first thread that catches my eye is somebody harping about some 30 year old "Led Zeppelin = Satan Worship" craze. Back in the 70's I heard Fundamentalists fill in that blank with a hundred different band names, but they never once produced any examples that sounded like intelligible English sentences. Do you guys honestly believe that the industry produces these albums with the sincere belief that people will actually buy them with the full intent of playing them backwards?

Is that really all the farther Christians have come in 30 years?? Is that the best thing we have to talk about today? We could probably play Billy Graham sermons backwards and sooner or later we would hear some syllables that vaguely kinda sound like "Satan" or sorta like "six six six".....You can probably play Somewhere Over The Rainbow backwards and find satan and six six six in that too. Gimmmmeeee a break! No wonder Christians still are not being taken seriously yet!

Come on people...... :sigh:

Bolding mine.

I was unaware of this.

BEFORE reading your post I was already going to post and start my post with this:

All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost.

It is the start of a poem from LOTR about Aragorn (Strider).

The important thing however is Both Tolkien and the song refer back to a saying most children know.

Not all that glitters is gold. And realizing that is important for the sophisticated twist on a simple saying is important. That the song opens "There's a Lady who knows all that glitters if gold", is important. It lets the listener know this is a song about a sophisticated fool. Other lines reinforce this.

Unfortunately there are some Christians who are also fools in their own right and they never get it.

Upvote 0

Von Davidicus

Aug 6, 2013
Somewhere over here
✟20,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So basically, any song with the word "there's" (Or "theirs") is satanic--because it sounds like "Satan" when played backwards.

Personally, I only judge songs by their lyrics when played forwards--that's all I can do. I tried playing a CD backwards, but the needle scratched it up pretty badly.

Upvote 0

ThePerfectNobody

Christian Critic
Sep 10, 2013
✟15,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is great advice, SC. Your mom's not the only person who believes rock music is the work of the devil. They made fun of that kind of belief in an episode of My Name is Earl where this group of Amish like people even condemned wheels believing creativity is evil, when God clearly CREATED Earth, us, stars, the sky, birds, beasts, plants, and everything! How's a freakin' wheel going to kill anyone? The same goes for a lot of rock music.

One more thing on this subject. If how is creating things evil? Does that mean Pat Sajak is a devil-worshipper? It's not evil.

Upvote 0

Von Davidicus

Aug 6, 2013
Somewhere over here
✟20,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
One of the saddest things I've seen with the "backmasked messages" is it taught those being preached at to tune out the warnings, like an oversensitive smoke alarm that the homeowner learns to sleep through.

And it leaves them prey to songs and bands that are PLENTY ungodly and unholy when played forwards (Mephiskapheles, anyone?).

Upvote 0

JaniMelody

Aug 7, 2014
Slovenia
✟15,177.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like it how these conspiracy theories come down on all the greats, some of them like Bob Dylan even promoted himself in such a way...I dont believe there is such a thing as a satan, i would say there is a dark force or bad energy anyways there s a simple answer here if you feel positive energy or love when you listen to the song dont worry , i don t believe you ll go psycho evil on listening to this classic ; )

Upvote 0
R

RychusRkr

Come on people. Lets not show such an ignorance of the spirit realm. I don't adhere to a legalistic idea that Christians can't or shouldn't listen to secular music because God's gonna swat you if you do. BUT. music conveys not just words but spirits. If you're strong in the Lord and grounded in His word, you could enjoy some secular music. But I wouldn't make a steady diet of it, it is going to affect your spiritual walk and sensitivity to the Lord. For one, He could be trying to speak to you and you're so busy jammin to some tunes He can't get a word in edgewise. There are 2 kingdoms on the earth and everything that comes from man really originates from one of these kingdoms. The Kingdom of God, which we are to pray that this kingdom comes to this earth. That happens through people who are submitted to His kingdom. Then there's the kingdom of darkness, or satan. he is the god of this world and everyone that is not in submission to the Kingdom of God is in submission to one degree or another to the kingdom of darkness. now I love rock music, so i'm gonna use that, secular rock music is all from the kingdom of darkness. all of it. yes some nice songs, some songs that question things and some songs that seem like seeking truth and I will listen to some of it but I filter it and appreciate the talent but realize it orginates from the kingdom of darkness, from an artist who is part of the kingdom of darkness and inspired by that kingdom and really is being used to promote that kingdom to some extent, some more than others. I was a huge beatles fan years ago, when I got Saved radically one of the things God showed me was that the beatles were satanic. WHAT!! how can you say that?? Now, I will still listen to and enjoy a beatles song but you'd have to blind not to see how satan used the beatles to promote eastern religions for one example. I'm not going to even go to movies and sports (which I will do some of both) but like how the lost people in this world like worship sports and celebrities. It's all the kingdom of darkness. Oh God, we pray, open our eyes to the spiritual realities!!

Upvote 0

Von Davidicus

Aug 6, 2013
Somewhere over here
✟20,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So I should stick to music that I find irritably cheery or flat-out boring? Because all Christian Music I've ever encountered falls in one of the two categories.

But then again, I like dancing, which probably means I'm reprobate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0