✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, I'm not leaving the Church ;)

So, about a year ago my dad and stepmom quit attending the parish that we had attended for years, Holy Resurrection, and they started attending St. Spirydon's.
If you were a parishioner at Holy Rez and someone asked, "what happened to so-and-so?" Would your response be that "they left the church" or "they switched parishes"?

I bring this up, because if you say "they left the church", what is heard is not that they left the parish, but the "they left the Church" meaning, that they are no longer Orthodox. I think that this could be baggage left from Protestantism, because when I was a Roman Catholic lad we always said that "they switched/moved parishes". Saying someone "left the church" implies and insinuates that they have "left the Church" and are no longer Orthodox.
Since my dad and stepmom no longer attend Holy Resurrection, a mostly ex-Protestant convert parish, what has been said there when asked is that "they left the church" which has people thinking "they left the Church", which has lead to severed friendships because the rector is telling people "they left the church" without anything added on like "and attend St. Spirydon's now". There are now parishioners of the former parish who think that my family and I are no longer Orthodox because of this poor (and given the circumstances of their departure, possibly intentional) terminology.

Thoughts?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,928.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not Orthodox speaking here, but "left the church" certainly means to me "has become an unbeliever." While it's common for Protestants to speak of "church" as being a particular congregation, my understanding has been for you that "the Church" was a body of all Orthodox (at least Orthodox).

I don't know all the ramifications of changing parishes for you Orthodox, but "changed parishes" certainly sounds more accurate to me.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would simply say that they are attending a new parish, and not worry too much. go to some pan-Orthodox thingy and let them see you.
I would say this.

I certainly wouldn't say "left the Church" because yes, I hear "they are no longer Orthodox" or "no longer Christian".

Even saying " they left the parish" sounds negative.

But to say they attend another parish shows they still go to Church.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
plus, I think saying "left the Church," even if they realize it means you didn't leave Orthodoxy, sounds negative. like they and Father had a fight and are not reconciled or something.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
plus, I think saying "left the Church," even if they realize it means you didn't leave Orthodoxy, sounds negative. like they and Father had a fight and are not reconciled or something.
That's not far from the truth though it was more of a proper use of one's bishop followed by an interrogation as retaliation from the priest. My old man has no problems with the priest. The priest on the other hand...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's not far from the truth though it was more of a proper use of one's bishop followed by an interrogation as retaliation from the priest. My old man has no problems with the priest. The priest on the other hand...

Lord have mercy!

Upvote 0