Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd leave, but have nowhere in particular to go.
Fair winds and following seas, till your eyrie greets you at your journey's end!

PS: It's "...reached its end." (no apostrophe, which would make it = "it is")
- From the Grammar Nazi teacher

I think dropping in once or twice a year wouldn't make you an addict...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's good to know we're your last resort friends here, Rus! LOL....:p:p^_^

I'd leave, but have nowhere in particular to go.
Fair winds and following seas, till your eyrie greets you at your journey's end!

PS: It's "...reached its end." (no apostrophe, which would make it = "it is")
- From the Grammar Nazi teacher

I think dropping in once or twice a year wouldn't make you an addict...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Friends,

It's been many years of fun and fellowship but I've decided after a long period of reflection that my involvement with TAW has reached it's end. I just want to thank everyone for your prayers and friendship over the years, for answering my questions and putting up with my occassional rants or weird humor. I leave you all in peace, and pray for the peace of the Lord to be upon you.

Love in Christ,
Patrick
Missing you already - but wishing you all the best in your journey and believing for amazing things to occur as you go forward. Blessings...

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's good to know we're your last resort friends here, Rus! LOL....:p:p^_^

There are some people that I think I could be quite good real-world friends with, and I suspect you would be one of them. :)

I would prefer more real-life contact. I invite people over - mostly from church, who know and are friends with each other as well, but only a few bite/come. Most give the excuses I see in the parable about those invited to the wedding. I see my good friends only a handful of times a year (part of the problem is that most of them live in Moscow, and I don't).

As you know, I am starved for companionship with my fellow countrymen, who I don't have to teach English to, or explain my sense of humor (it doesn't help to know English if you don't know Star Trek or Bugs Bunny there...)
And here I don't have to spend time defending the Orthodox Faith. I can communicate with people who take it for granted. In English.

I understand how Patrick (a user name like an ATM password is a little hard to relate to), and others, can decide that this is not for them. When I get ragged on hard for thinking Chesterton so important to our literature, culture and yes, even faith, I think about bailing, too. But people cool off, including me.

So here I am. :)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Funny you should say that, because I've often thought that, were you and I to go to the same parish, YOU would be the chap I'd be seeking out and talking to during coffee hour. You have A TON to share, Rus. And you think outside the box. We've both been in education, are married to women not born in the U.S., are Orthodox, and like Star Trek (although I know you've kind of fallen away from the Trek universe over the atheist undertones at times, which is understandable).

I've ragged on ya at times for GKC, and I hope I've never been someone to motivate you to leave. If I have, I beg forgiveness. Your leaving would be a loss.

I am also like you regarding friends. I have always been something of a Sith, myself. I usually one have ONE major friend at a time, and a couple good ones here and there. I tend to gravitate to one really solid, grounded, awesome person to be a friend. I am an only-child, so I'm quirky, what can I say!? ^_^ My really good friend in Hanford with whom I used to teach, is someone I talk on the phone to a lot, talk on FB a lot with, but only see a few times a year at best. My other buddy is a CHP officer now, lives in Fresno. If I see him twice a year I'm surprised. My VERY best friend, Mike, works with me, so we see each other daily. As a result, we rarely get together outside work....

I hope Patrick doesn't leave, but we all must do what we feel is best to keep up soldered to the metals of Christ.
There are some people that I think I could be quite good real-world friends with, and I suspect you would be one of them. :)

I would prefer more real-life contact. I invite people over - mostly from church, who know and are friends with each other as well, but only a few bite/come. Most give the excuses I see in the parable about those invited to the wedding. I see my good friends only a handful of times a year (part of the problem is that most of them live in Moscow, and I don't).

As you know, I am starved for companionship with my fellow countrymen, who I don't have to teach English to, or explain my sense of humor (it doesn't help to know English if you don't know Star Trek or Bugs Bunny there...)
And here I don't have to spend time defending the Orthodox Faith. I can communicate with people who take it for granted. In English.

I understand how Patrick (a user name like an ATM password is a little hard to relate to), and others, can decide that this is not for them. When I get ragged on hard for thinking Chesterton so important to our literature, culture and yes, even faith, I think about bailing, too. But people cool off, including me.

So here I am. :)

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0