Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think I have a problem where I like to join communities from time to time in an attempt to feel included or to better understand how other's think. In this case, also, I wanted to join feminism because it made me feel better about being a woman. I know, silly right? But I think it's now time for me to take a step away from feminism. I don't know that I ever belonged there in the first place.

I've been struggling with potential body dysmorphia for years now, and it's so very uncomfortable to have to live with. I don't think I'm overweight when I'm really not or anything like that, but I still feel that there is something terribly wrong with my appearance. I feel ugly to a certain degree because of my physical features, but I also feel as though I don't look "female enough" for whatever reason. I can't put my finger on it, but I feel like I don't look like a woman, even though I was born female and there is nothing in my appearance to indicate that I look anything other than female.

Anyways, I decided during some exploration of my political identity to take a deep dive into radical feminism. I chose radical feminism, specifically, because it does stand for some good principles. It is critical of the diet industry and beauty industry, it takes a stand against inappropriate contentography, and it states that gender theory (where you are the gender you feel that you are) is false and holds no place in reality. All of these points made it look incredibly enticing to me, and so I decided I should try to be a radical feminist too. I went into this knowing in the back of my mind just how stupid I was being, but I still wanted to join because it felt like I could have largely different opinions than the mainstream and be able to talk about them in a space that was mostly accepting.

I say it was mostly accepting because there were a few things that would likely get me shunned or bullied. For one thing, I am a conservative centrist, and they are more liberal than I am. They have said in chat rooms that I've been a part of that conservatives are still the enemy. That's because they view conservatives as homophobic and embracing of traditional values. Speaking of same-sex attraction, the people I was around view it as inherently better to be with the same sex than with members of the opposite sex because men are inherently misogynistic and abusive in their eyes. There are even women who are bisexual who will only exclusively date women because of these ideas. Adding onto this, the radical feminists in the circles I was in would demonize men to such an extent that it was unreal. I tried to distance myself from that, but eventually it got to a point where I've been feeling so uncomfortable with radical feminism that I thought it may be best that I leave it.

In the end, no social movement is ever going to truly satisfy me on its own. The only thing that can bring me true satisfaction is my faith in Jesus Christ. I know that in Him, I will find true acceptance and love, no matter who I am. And fellowship with fellow Christians will help me to feel more connected as well, whether I consider myself to be liberal, center, or conservative. There is no shame in being a Christian, conservative or not, and I'm tired of hiding it just to fit in. Here's a good question: If you have to hide pieces of yourself in order to be accepted by others, are the people you're hanging around truly good for you?

The only type of feminist I may ever see myself as being is a Pro Life Feminist, but other than that, I think I've had my fun exploring feminism. It's now time to move on.

Reactions: dzheremi

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you were looking for a Christian discussion on the topic you it this thread in the wrong place. Christian Ethics/Philosophy would have been better.

As far as the OP goes, I think many causes / ideologies like Radical Feminism, (extreme) Environmentalism etc. are basically substitute/ secular religions. Essentially they do everything a religion does as far as giving meaning to a person's life etc. except the actual theistic part of it.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
In the end, no social movement is ever going to truly satisfy me on its own. The only thing that can bring me true satisfaction is my faith in Jesus Christ. I know that in Him, I will find true acceptance and love, no matter who I am. And fellowship with fellow Christians will help me to feel more connected as well, whether I consider myself to be liberal, center, or conservative. There is no shame in being a Christian, conservative or not, and I'm tired of hiding it just to fit in. Here's a good question: If you have to hide pieces of yourself in order to be accepted by others, are the people you're hanging around truly good for you?

I'm sorry to read of your struggles with your self-image, and I pray that God will comfort you in them and give you the peace you search for. I just wanted to highlight this bit of your post because I think there is much wisdom in it. You are right that no other identity we could put on ourselves or have put on us by others will ever satisfy us or even compare to the love of Christ. And, yes, people or movements that make you hide parts of yourself in order to fit in are not good for you. God bless you.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think I have a problem where I like to join communities from time to time in an attempt to feel included or to better understand how other's think. In this case, also, I wanted to join feminism because it made me feel better about being a woman. I know, silly right? But I think it's now time for me to take a step away from feminism. I don't know that I ever belonged there in the first place.

I've been struggling with potential body dysmorphia for years now, and it's so very uncomfortable to have to live with. I don't think I'm overweight when I'm really not or anything like that, but I still feel that there is something terribly wrong with my appearance. I feel ugly to a certain degree because of my physical features, but I also feel as though I don't look "female enough" for whatever reason. I can't put my finger on it, but I feel like I don't look like a woman, even though I was born female and there is nothing in my appearance to indicate that I look anything other than female.

Anyways, I decided during some exploration of my political identity to take a deep dive into radical feminism. I chose radical feminism, specifically, because it does stand for some good principles. It is critical of the diet industry and beauty industry, it takes a stand against inappropriate contentography, and it states that gender theory (where you are the gender you feel that you are) is false and holds no place in reality. All of these points made it look incredibly enticing to me, and so I decided I should try to be a radical feminist too. I went into this knowing in the back of my mind just how stupid I was being, but I still wanted to join because it felt like I could have largely different opinions than the mainstream and be able to talk about them in a space that was mostly accepting.

I say it was mostly accepting because there were a few things that would likely get me shunned or bullied. For one thing, I am a conservative centrist, and they are more liberal than I am. They have said in chat rooms that I've been a part of that conservatives are still the enemy. That's because they view conservatives as homophobic and embracing of traditional values. Speaking of same-sex attraction, the people I was around view it as inherently better to be with the same sex than with members of the opposite sex because men are inherently misogynistic and abusive in their eyes. There are even women who are bisexual who will only exclusively date women because of these ideas. Adding onto this, the radical feminists in the circles I was in would demonize men to such an extent that it was unreal. I tried to distance myself from that, but eventually it got to a point where I've been feeling so uncomfortable with radical feminism that I thought it may be best that I leave it.

The only type of feminist I may ever see myself as being is a Pro Life Feminist, but other than that, I think I've had my fun exploring feminism. It's now time to move on.
There is some good there. And some bad. And the Pro-life Feminism is probably mostly good. A Christian feminism is also possible. Just beware that the feminism eat up the Christianity and leave you a former Christian.

One way to tell is that Christianity is about love, God loving you and you loving your neighbors. Feminism, if it's the derailed sort, is more about hate, hatred for men, hatred for those who don't have the correct ideology. Don't let that win. It's a dangerous balance.

• Agree
Reactions: HoneyBee
Upvote 0