Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What makes a place like that -higher quality than others?
location? cleaner? more organized?
Reputation and ratings are generally safe indicators. A place may be a bit disheveled, but as long as they know their merchandise and care about the customer.

• Useful
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For some reason my psyche immediately was drawn to early English etc. I like the older side to most things. It just interests me. I just don't like the more Spanish sounding music. This will seem random but would classical guitar cross over into learning the lute etc?

It could. But there is plenty to find in guitar. Some lute pieces have been transcribed for guitar.

Upvote 0

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I recently got the urge to learn to play. Do any guitar players here have advice for me? For the mean time I'd prefer to self learn, with written and online resources. If you play another instrument feel free to respond also.

My main concerns are staying motivated and which type of guitar to get so, acoustic, classical or a mixture of electric and acoustic. I'm less interested in electric but it's nice to have a guitar capable of both I assume?

btw I'm 25 and will get a guitar after Christmas.

I have no experience playing instruments.
I, personally, prefer an acoustic, but I think it is just preference. You should get what you feel inspired about getting.

I am a new guitar player, so others may have better advice than me. The way I learned to play was in a couple of phases.
  1. Build you Calluses. This is the part where most people quit, because it is the most painful. Our fingers are fragile, so when we start to play the guitar, we are going to notice our fingers being in pain. Don't give up! We all go through this time, and it WILL get easier and less painful. I suggest just holding the strings down as hard as you can so you can start building strong calluses. Have fun with that!
  2. Find one note and work on getting it down! I would suggest you start with the Em chord, since it is the easiest one to play. Work on playing it continuously until you got it down. NOTE: It is difficult to the un-trained ear to hear if you are playing it right or not. So what happens is people start playing it fast and think they are hitting the note, but in reality they are not. T!he best way to find out is play each string slowly, and pay attention to the strings you are holding and see if it sounds fluent, or if their is a sharp noise that doesn't sound right.
  3. Take it Slow - We all want to progress and get to the level of playing songs, but it won't be that easy. Once we build confidence and we got a couple of notes under our belts, we want to move on and try to learn these advance chords and songs before we have mastered what we already know. This is the best advice to keep in mind.
  4. Learn transitions and tempo - Once you are able to play a couple of chords confidently, try and switch between two chords in a nice steady tempo. Keep practicing these chords until you are able to switch between them in a casual manner. Remember, if you are unsure how it sounds, play each string one at a time to hear what it actually is sounding like.
  5. HAVE FUN! Playing the guitar is very fun and a great way to bring people together. It takes a lot of patience, however, to push through those hard times or dull moments. You have to go into it with the mindset that you WON'T be able to play songs until a year down the line. It is possible you will be able to sooner, but if you go into it for the long run, then you are more likely to have sustaining power to keep you going through those moments when you just want to give up.
Please do update us on how you progress!

In peace

Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am in the early learning stages currently. I wound up getting a Yamaha FGX800C acoustic-electric guitar.

One thing I learned is get the guitar setup, professionally if you aren't ready to do it yourself using on-line videos. Costs about $50-$75USD. Most guitars have the strings too far from the frets when shipped, which makes it harder on the new fingers and hand to play.

Steel strings are fine for learning. Get what you want to play long term based on your music style.

I disagree with the "hold the strings down as hard as you can to build callouses" advice. That means your fingers will hurt quicker and your fingers will spend less time playing. More time playing at lowest pressure you can make the notes sound good will build up finger callouses quickly and it's more fun to play than sit in pain.

I've been using a free on-line course justinguitar.com He is a good teacher and I am able to work at my own pace, quickly when something is easy and more slowly when I need to get better at something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Callouses will come soon enough. No need to cause them.

A word of warning: I damaged and over extended my little finger trying to hold chords that required me to stretch it out far from the other fingers. Most chords are only half a second or two,

Upvote 0

Anthony Edgar

Jul 21, 2016
Forster, NSW Australia
✟11,581.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I recently got the urge to learn to play. Do any guitar players here have advice for me? For the mean time I'd prefer to self learn, with written and online resources. If you play another instrument feel free to respond also.

My main concerns are staying motivated and which type of guitar to get so, acoustic, classical or a mixture of electric and acoustic. I'm less interested in electric but it's nice to have a guitar capable of both I assume?

I tried learning to play guitar once but I hated it. So I tried bass guitar and I loved it. Now I own three basses.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

There's a reason Apollo (aka the devil) in Greek mythology had a lyre. It is the THIEF OF TIME. Beware, you may lose your life. Take it from someone who's played spaghetti-string guitar for over 35 years. Abandon hope all ye who enter!

Upvote 0

Linker Sanchez

Trying to spread the love of God with music
Sep 5, 2019
Hagerstown
✟10,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Hello Aspzan

I play the guitar and piano. One of the things I can recommend doing is practice every day at least 15 to 20 min (If you want to do more you can do so). And set this goal as a regular habit. Once you get used to doing this every day, even in those those days where you don't feel like playing, your mind will automatically ask you for it.

Or at least this help me in the beginning.

Hopefully this helps. Blessings

Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0