UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you been to a music store to check out the guitars they have?
You should put your hands on the frets, push down the strings needed for a few chords, so you have an idea of how much effort it takes to hold down the strings.
I haven't yet. There's a few in my area so I'll have a look soon

EDIT: I just noticed there's a guitar shop near one of my walks. It's over a main road so I'd never noticed it before.

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....then go to youtube and just start learning songs you like....
Great advice. Learn technique and so on. But at the same time start learning to play songs you like right away. For most people, making actual music keeps us motivated.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's a song about another guitar student...
full

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have played mostly to amuse myself and my family and friends for many years. Playing the guitar is a joy.

My advice is first to be honest with yourself about your interest and your expectations. Are you seriously interested in music, becoming a musician, joining a band, being the life of the party, playing and singing favorite songs or tunes, or 'picturing' yourself as a 'guitar player', or like me amusing and entertaining yourself and close friends and family. If you don't know it's ok. Get started and you'll sort it all out. You may find that it is just a 'flight of fancy' that fades if you don't get hooked right away.

But on to some other advice.

One of the greatest discouragements for beginners is the instrument they choose to learn on. You can start with an inexpensive guitar but it should be of good enough quality to sound good to your ear, be easy to play (finger), and be the right size for you. It should also be pleasing to look at.

The choice of which guitar depends on what kind of music you want to play. Electric for rock, acoustic for folk and traditional, classical for...classical. I'm guessing you will start with an acoustic, flat top, folk/country style guitar for which I have a recommendation: the Yamaha FG700S.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fg700s-folk-acoustic-guitar
I have one and love it. It has the sound of a more expensive guitar, and it's low-but-buzz-free 'action' is the sweetest I have ever played. Hammer on's, slides, and pulloffs are clean and crisp. Cord changes are almost seamless as well as the guitar has great resonance. This is a great guitar even for intermediate players, which I consider myself to be.

It's a large guitar and a bit heavy, but this is no problem as you'll likely be sitting while playing. This guitar has great resonance, so much so that I place a small towel inside to dampen it down a bit. This is not a bad thing and is a technique many use to 'quiet' their guitars down if practicing into the night, as you will likely find yourself doing.

Regarding 'cut fingers'. You have to build callouses on your 'chording' hand, and you will have sore fingers to begin with. This can be mitigated by using a 'capo', which reduces the string height making chording easier on the fingers.

Tuning is easy using a 'tuner', but you should also learn to tune by ear.

I also suggest learning to strum chords before attempting 'picking'. This will get you familiar with the instrument and build those callouses. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you seriously interested in music, becoming a musician, joining a band, being the life of the party, playing and singing favorite songs or tunes, or 'picturing' yourself as a 'guitar player', or like me amusing and entertaining yourself and close friends and family.

I'm definitely leaning more towards being more like you and thank you for the suggestion and advice. I think a younger me would have had a more "vain" interest in playing the guitar but now I just think it would be good to learn and enjoy eventually

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing wrong with using anything with 6 strings to get started. However, I actually would recommend going straight to an electric guitar. Why? Because they are easier to play and have more options, especially learning how to play lead. Others may point out options for classical guitar, or some spanish style but the reality is that most bands, especially garage ones, use electric guitars for lead and rhythm and acoustic/electric versions for mostly rhythm. Thus, if your goal is to someday play in a church or local band, I would suggest an electric guitar. There are a great many websites and youtube videos that can help you learn to play my favorite being ULTIMATE GUITAR TABS - 1,100,000 songs catalog with free Chords, Guitar Tabs, Bass Tabs, Ukulele Chords and Guitar Pro Tabs!

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have played classical since 1975. Self taught and developed poor technique because of it. I have tried steel strings and electric but always go back to classical. It is a matter of what style you prefer. But start with lessons to get the fundamentals. What I like about classical is that it also opens the whole universe of Mudical eras, early English, baroque, contemporary, etc. So much there.

My biggest issue is th enails. I depend on them for the sound I like but too short and I dont get it, too long and they break. Learn without nails.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I like about classical is that it also opens the whole universe of Mudical eras, early English, baroque, contemporary, etc. So much there.
For some reason my psyche immediately was drawn to early English etc. I like the older side to most things. It just interests me. I just don't like the more Spanish sounding music. This will seem random but would classical guitar cross over into learning the lute etc?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Rock/Pop and such are what many seem to want to do, and I hate to put it this way because it's not necessary true but classical guitar tends to be real guitar where the player impresses with talent more so than volume, effects, or gimmicks if you will....sort of.

A good classical guitar player impresses players of all genres, but that can go either way.

One can fall in love with the classical style, and though you can play both styles with a less wide neck, if you think classical might be your thing, go for that type guitar.

But, again both can be played on the guitar OP has in mind, and at 50/60 bucks, you haven't really broken the bank, leaving you the option of another guitar once you decide what music works best for you.

And I have to agree with the poster that mentioned a bit of a higher end Yamaha. The better the instrument the better you sound, because of just the sound of the instrument for one, but also it's playability, and the better you sound, the more you want to play/improve, and the more you do that, the better...well, you get the picture...snowball effect.

And going cheap is not a bad idea either, as long as you realize once you find you like it, moving up a few notches to a better guitar can make all the difference. Or if you think you don't like it because of the guitar...try a better one before you give up.

A good guitar player can make just about any guitar sound good, but a beginner may never get to that level if they stick with just any guitar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A good guitar player can make just about any guitar sound good, but a beginner may never get to that level if they stick with just any guitar.
True. I say that a player should try to get as much guitar as they can afford without leaving regret should they decide not to stick with it. A used instrument in good condition will get you more for your buck. And you'll recover more of your investment if you decide to sell or trade.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
True. I say that a player should try to get as much guitar as they can afford without leaving regret should they decide not to stick with it. A used instrument in good condition will get you more for your buck. And you'll recover more of your investment if you decide to sell or trade.

True, I've only bought 2 new guitars in my life, and that was way back, when I would still buy a new car even....not anymore. If we're careful, used can be a great value.

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't purchase a used one. Strings need replaced after months of playing, and someone may have dropped it. Wait till you find just the right one that feels comfortable to you. Try sitting and standing with it. How much does it weigh? How big is it?

I wish I was going with you for the thrill of looking at all of them! Some of them you will eliminate immediately as not the one for you.

Don't buy used because the strings will need to be replaced? Replacing strings is part of the deal, new or used. As far as someone may have dropped it, look it and make sure it wasn't dropped. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't going to buy used but you did make me think there's a pawn shop about a mile from where I live. I might go there as well as to the guitar shop. Or shouldn't I?

I think I'd prefer quite a small guitar. Although I'm average height and broad I just don't want a big guitar. It seems better to have a handier instrument if I'm playing alone and learning?

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't going to buy used but you did make me think there's a pawn shop about a mile from where I live. I might go there as well as to the guitar shop. Or shouldn't I?

I think I'd prefer quite a small guitar. Although I'm average height and broad I just don't want a big guitar. It seems better to have a handier instrument if I'm playing alone and learning?

Small acoustic, small sound....the size makes all the difference in the volume, so if you don't mind that, small is fine..

Reactions: Dansiph
Upvote 0