Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
FREE E-mail Subscription:
Grace Gems!

Learning to Be Content
J.R. Miller

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians 4:11-12

The best time to learn lessons is in youth.

One of the lessons every Christian should learn, is to be contented. Discontent is a miserable fault. It not only makes the discontented person himself miserable, but it spreads the misery all around. One discontented person in a home, mars the happiness of the whole household.

Besides, discontent is wrong—it is sinful. It springs out of distrust of God, and unbelief in Christ. If we truly and fully believe in God's love and in Christ's care for us—we would never be discontented. What would a rich, thoughtful, loving parent think if his little child were always unhappy and afraid, never satisfied with anything, always complaining, sad, and murmuring? Would he not think his child, for one thing, very ungrateful; for another thing, distrustful, and of a wretched disposition? How must God think of his murmuring, repining, discontented children?

We ought to think sometimes how our behavior seems when seen from God's eye. We can readily see that discontent is sin.

Anything good in life must become a habit before it is a permanent part of our character. Character is simply the sum of our habits. If we train ourselves to do right, over and over and over—the right thing becomes at length a habit.

Similarly is it with the doing of wrong things. If we habitually indulge an appetite—we become at last its slave. If we begin in youth to grumble and find fault and be discontented with our lot in life—by and by we shall have formed a habit of discontent.

If, on the other hand, we learn in youth to accept whatever comes, with patience and quiet cheerfulness, to be easily satisfied, and, when there are rough places and hard experiences, to submit to them with joy and confidence—we shall form a habit of being contented—and a fixed habit of being contented is contentment.

So it appears that contentment cannot be learned in a day, but in many days and years. The best time to begin forming good habits is in youth—it is never too early to begin. Apply this truth to contentment. We believe we ought to be contented; that discontent is not beautiful; that it mars and disfigures character, that it makes life miserable; and that it is really sinful against God.

No young Christian wants to grow into a discontented man or woman at middle life or in old age. Probably you have seen some examples of discontent, and they have been frightful. Well, there is only one way to avoid growing into this ugliness—young people must begin in youth to train themselves to contentment. They must watch against discontent in the smallest things, and learn to accept whatever comes, pleasant or unpleasant, smooth or rough, easy or hard—with good nature and good temper.

They must watch against the first whispers of complaining and fault-finding and murmuring. Let those ugly ways once begin, and it is almost impossible to check them.

There are reasons why we should be contented, if we are God's children and Christ's saved ones. Our Father's love for us is reason enough. He is taking care of us, and the things that he sends or permits to come to us, are part of his loving purpose for us, and will be made blessings to us if we accept them trustingly.

Let young Christians then begin at once to train themselves to contentment. Regard it as sinful, to fret or complain and whine. Shun these faults as you would shun lying and swearing. Train yourself to trust in God and to accept all he gives as good—even though it be not pleasant. Learn to be cheerful, to find the bright spot which there is always in any set of circumstances. Learn to be glad-hearted, to be sunny-faced, to be sweet-spirited, to be good-natured. It will half make your fortune for you, even in a worldly sense. It will also help to build you up into a beautiful Christ-like character!

• Prayers
Reactions: W2L

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I think if there is someone discontented in the home ,
it is because they were not trained right. They were not
brought up in the way they should go.

i.e. they are not to blame unless they were trained, and then went astray and lost their contentment because of sin after knowing the truth.

Or to put it another way, as I first thought "don't blame them" ,
for though it is a sin to be discontent or depressed,
they
may not have any idea how to be free from that - most people who are discontent or depressed have no idea nor examples in their lives to see
how to be content with food and clothing,
and how to have fullness of peace and joy and righteousness every day
without measure.....

just some thoughts that seem appropriate to address while seeking the truth.

• Agree
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

DaDad

Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2017
Southwest
✟85,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. ...
This is a dangerous theology. It seems to suggest that we should be passive, but GOD demands the opposite:

Matt. 11:12 From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and men of violence take it by force. -- Which transliterated should say: The kingdom of heaven is obtain by pursuit, and pursuers take it by aggressive action.
Never be "content" with any status. Always strive, always press, and always pursue, ESPECIALLY with the things of GOD. Be like to widow who pressed the judge, and not like the sluggard whose own laziness kills him.

Thanks,
DaDad

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is a dangerous theology. It seems to suggest that we should be passive, but GOD demands the opposite:

Matt. 11:12 From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and men of violence take it by force. -- Which transliterated should say: The kingdom of heaven is obtain by pursuit, and pursuers take it by aggressive action.
Never be "content" with any status. Always strive, always press, and always pursue, ESPECIALLY with the things of GOD. Be like to widow who pressed the judge, and not like the sluggard whose own laziness kills him.

Thanks,
DaDad

You misinterpreted the verse!

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

DaDad

Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2017
Southwest
✟85,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DaDad said:
You misinterpreted the verse!
You know, I was sitting in an Adult Sunday class when this verse came into discussion (by the elderly teacher), and I shared the same premise with him (and the class) as I shared in this Topic. He gently dismissed my position and said that when I was more mature in the faith ( -- already some 30 years of being a Christian -- ) that I would understand what it actually meant. But after the morning Service he came up to me and said that I was correct. -- And it not me that's correct, it's the Holy Spirit that leads us into all TRUTHS. And it is TRUE.

It took great humility for this gentleman to admit when he was wrong, and it's the thing that drew me closer to him, having coffee in the donut shop once a week, and then in his care facility once a week, until his death.

Thanks,
DaDad

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thanks,
DaDad
The apostle Paul learned to be content in any situation. He said godliness is not about gain, but godliness with contentment is gain.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

DaDad

Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2017
Southwest
✟85,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
... once again, to me "content" means passive. If others think it means "dynamic" then great! But I it's my HOPE that I will NEVER be "content" in my Christian walk; working to provide for my family (given that we're ~6 months into the 42 month Tribulation); and helping others. I can't be "content" with where I am, I MUST press forward while it's still day.

And of course my goal is not the pursuit of "riches", which the 1 Timothy 6:6 "contentment" addresses. I'm addressing the basic approach of life in pursuit of GOD, and welfare of family and others.
Thanks,
DaDad

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
... once again, to me "content" means passive. If others think it means "dynamic" then great! But I it's my HOPE that I will NEVER be "content" in my Christian walk; working to provide for my family (given that we're ~6 months into the 42 month Tribulation); and helping others. I can't be "content" with where I am, I MUST press forward while it's still day.

And of course my goal is not the pursuit of "riches", which the 1 Timothy 6:6 "contentment" addresses. I'm addressing the basic approach of life in pursuit of GOD, and welfare of family and others.
Thanks,
DaDad
Sounds like you are on the right track, as long as you know that we can lose our wealth. It grows wings and flies to the heavens. (Proverbs 23:5)

• Agree
Reactions: DaDad
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums