Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My mother raised us to be curious. We always had a set of encyclopedias (prior to personal computers). If we asked a question, she often said, "Go look it up."

So my latest question concerned Eastern Orthodox house blessings. And this is what I found:

1. Houses are traditionally blessed with "Theophany water" each year. A house can be blessed at any time, but the usual season for yearly blessings is from Theophany until the beginning of the Lenten Triodion, which begins four Sundays before Great Lent begins. This is not a hard and fast rule, but a good rule of thumb...
Theophany House Blessings: 10 things

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My mother raised us to be curious. We always had a set of encyclopedias (prior to personal computers). If we asked a question, she often said, "Go look it up."

So my latest question concerned Eastern Orthodox house blessings. And this is what I found:

1. Houses are traditionally blessed with "Theophany water" each year. A house can be blessed at any time, but the usual season for yearly blessings is from Theophany until the beginning of the Lenten Triodion, which begins four Sundays before Great Lent begins. This is not a hard and fast rule, but a good rule of thumb...
Theophany House Blessings: 10 things
And Triodion starts this Sunday (today in Oz)
Some of the most beautiful hymns are at this time of year.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes, we do this yearly. We’re having my priest and his family to our house next week, for the blessing then dinner & some fellowship time.

we start with prayers then walk through each room of the house with lit candles, while singing a hymn and the priest slings the holy water everywhere in blessing. ☦️

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We had our house blessing last week (we also had the prayers for our newborn which make the child a catechumen and give him a name in the church).

Any time we have moved into a new house we have had a house blessing whether it was this same season or not.

Last year at our house blessing our priest also prayed for us to be able to conceive after five years of not being able to (we had two fairly close together, and then couldn't again for quite a while). We got pregnant shortly thereafter.

Upvote 0