USA
✟36,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I randomly thought about Leah and Rachel the other day and how Jacob wanted Rachel so bad but instead God had mercy on Leah and he married Leah and she bore him sons. UI see a picture of God's grace and mercy on His people and then the grafted in Gentiles.

I see a picture of God dealing with the Israelites (Rachel) His chosen people and then has to wait on them so goes to the Gentiles (Leah)

I love how the old testament ties into a picture of Christ. (Much like Boaz and Ruth, Boaz being the kinsman redeemer and how Ruth was a Moabite Gentile)

What do you think? Any further thoughts on this?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I randomly thought about Leah and Rachel the other day and how Jacob wanted Rachel so bad but instead God had mercy on Leah and he married Leah and she bore him sons. UI see a picture of God's grace and mercy on His people and then the grafted in Gentiles.

I see a picture of God dealing with the Israelites (Rachel) His chosen people and then has to wait on them so goes to the Gentiles (Leah)

I love how the old testament ties into a picture of Christ. (Much like Boaz and Ruth, Boaz being the kinsman redeemer and how Ruth was a Moabite Gentile)

I see it very differently. Leah's father deceived Jacob.

It's not that it's Leah's fault, because she was between a rock and a hard place, but Jacob loved Rachel, and that is who he thought he was marrying.

• Optimistic
Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0

lamb7

Little Lamb
Jul 19, 2017
USA
✟36,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It's not that it's Leah's fault, because she was between a rock and a hard place, but Jacob loved Rachel, and that is who he thought he was marrying.

yea I was wondering where Laben fit in with this...great point!

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
yea I was wondering where Laben fit in with this...great point!

LOL! He was quite a scoundrel, and he deceived Jacob over and over again.

Looking a little closer, he worshiped other gods, as demonstrated by the idols that he had.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Well, Jacob deceived Isaac, so he kind of had it coming... :/

I don't know enough about the symbolism of the story. But I love this verse:

"When the LORD saw that Leah was not loved, he enabled her to conceive, but Rachel remained childless." Genesis 29:31

I was listening to Genesis last year after going through heartbreak and trauma after a terrible and abusive relationship ending, barely holding on, and after hearing "When the LORD saw that Leah was not loved" I was then filled with God's Love and the Holy Spirit comforting me deeply.
The whole thing wasn't Leah's fault, and the Lord vindicated her! That's the moral of the story to me.

And I think that may tie in with the Gentiles, because I was just reminded of the Samarian woman at the well. We come second, but the Lord is using us for most for His glory! :)

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Yet Isaac, had a heart for God, loved Him and feared Him. That is why, the bottom line, God changed his name to "Israel" and an entire nation was named after Jacob AKA "Israel".

And no, he didn't "have it coming". Jacob's brother, Esau had a contempt for the living God AND his own birthright. he GAVE it away of his own accord. He also had a profound contempt for his own mother and father.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yet Isaac, had a heart for God, loved Him and feared Him. That is why, the bottom line, God changed his name to "Israel" and an entire nation was named after Jacob AKA "Israel".

And no, he didn't "have it coming". Jacob's brother, Esau had a contempt for the living God AND his own birthright. he GAVE it away of his own accord. He also had a profound contempt for his own mother and father.
He still deceived Isaac. Was he honest when he put the fur on his hands? And when he said he was Esau? Why couldn't he have told Isaac the truth?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
He still deceived Isaac. Was he honest when he put the fur on his hands? And when he said he was Esau? Why couldn't he have told Isaac the truth?

The bottom line is that his heart was FOR God. Abraham also deceived a king about Sarah.

There is still this:

That Esau was wicked. See my above post.

Was Jacob "wicked"?

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The bottom line is that his heart was FOR God. Abraham also deceived a king about Sarah.

There is still this:

That Esau was wicked. See my above post.

Was Jacob "wicked"?
We are all wicked in one way or another. No one is good except God.

I think no one in the Old Testament were good people. They all mess up in terrible ways, and then God fixes everything. Our hearts are for God when we confess and repent from our sins. David did everything wrong, yet the Lord said he was a man after his own heart. Just because someone's heart is for God doesn't mean they don't ever sin.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We are all wicked in one way or another. No one is good except God.

I think no one in the Old Testament were good people. They all mess up in terrible ways, and then God fixes everything. Our hearts are for God when we confess and repent from our sins. David did everything wrong, yet the Lord said he was a man after his own heart. Just because someone's heart is for God doesn't mean they don't ever sin.

Let's just focus on Jacob for now.

Yes, he deceived his father. Was he "wicked"?

And regarding Abraham:

Abraham deceived a king. Was he "wicked"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Joseph is the perfect type of Christ. He was rejected by his brothers, thrown in a pit and left for dead, taken out of the pit and given into the hands of Gentiles. He became second to Pharaoh in Egypt, but as far as his brothers were concerned, he was Gentile. They didn't recognize him when the came to Egypt for grain. In Egypt he married a Gentile woman and had two sons by her (though Jewish tradition says she was a descendant of Jacob) during his time away from the Holy Land. I think Gentiles are more part of the picture of the sons of Joseph. Both were adopted by their grandfather Jacob and became his sons. Jacob prophesies that Ephraim will become a 'multitude of nations' (Gen. 48:19.) This phrase in Hebrew is 'melo hagoyim' which can be translated as 'fullness of the Gentiles,' a phrase that Paul uses in Romans 11:25.

"For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in."​

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Let's just focus on Jacob for now.

Yes, he deceived his father. Was he "wicked"?

And regarding Abraham:

Abraham deceived a king. Was he "wicked"?
Nah! I'm thinking in bigger terms than that, and tend not to get too hung up on details.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Nah! I'm thinking in bigger terms than that, and tend not to get too hung up on details.

i believe you are the one who mentioned Jacob's "deception" and that he "deserved" what was "coming to him".

There's also Rahab. She deceived and lied about the Israeli spies she was hiding and protection. Was she "wicked"?

And then there's Corrie Ten Boom, who deceived the Nazi's. Was she "wicked"?

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
i believe you are the one who mentioned Jacob's "deception" and that he "deserved" what was "coming to him".

There's also Rahab. She deceived and lied about the Israeli spies she was hiding and protection. Was she "wicked"?

And then there's Corrie Ten Boom, who deceived the Nazi's. Was she "wicked"?
I'm not concerned as to whether someone is wicked or not. I prefer to look at God and see His Glory and how He used these people despite their failure. His Mercy and His Grace. We would all be condemned to Hell without Him.

I didn't say that he "deserved" it. Putting words in my mouth isn't exactly honest either, are you "wicked"?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not concerned as to whether someone is wicked or not. I prefer to look at God and see His Glory and how He used these people despite their failure. His Mercy and His Grace. We would all be condemned to Hell without Him.

I didn't say that he "deserved" it. Putting words in my mouth isn't exactly honest either, are you "wicked"?
See post #5 where you posted this:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Leah is a type for bodily labors while Rachel represents divine vision. Unless someone labors first to purify his thoughts and actions from the seven principal vices (hence the seven years of work required of Jacob) he cannot attain to divine vision.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Weren't Leah and Rachel (along with Bilhah and Zilpah) both mothers of various Israelite tribes though? Seems it doesn't work right if Leah was the mother of only Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar and Zebulun.

Upvote 0

pilgrimage

going home
Mar 22, 2006
✟7,686.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Barrenness is a huge thing ... Racheal's barrenness, Samson's mother's barrenness, Sarah's barrenness, Hannah's barrenness, Elizabeths' barrenness, not to mention that the second from the firstborn always comes out ahead in the end. Most importantly it has been established in grace that the barren woman will have more children than the one legally first in line. Lots to study there since it all comes about to the Nazarite vow.

• Informative
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0