Leading up to the 2016 federal election what is the best Aussie party?

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, they're just a bonus :)
As an age pensioner I get a generous pension, rent assistance, free medical treatment, subsidised medicines, subsidised dental & optical services, free public transport, free annual country return trip, as well as access to a number of other free or subsidised services.
You forgot freedom of speech, fresh water everywhere, abundant natural resources, living in paradise and being a democracy. Add to that and a small wealthy population with one of the largest land masses to use that dont want to share it.

I often think of Ezekiel 16:49-50 with regard to our actions the moment towards refugees and wonder how God views Australia.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You forgot freedom of speech, fresh water everywhere, abundant natural resources, living in paradise and being a democracy. Add to that and a small wealthy population with one of the largest land masses to use that dont want to share it.

I often think of Ezekiel 16:49-50 with regard to our actions the moment towards refugees and wonder how God views Australia.
The things you list are great blessings but I was specifically referring to the welfare system that a healthy economy allows us to enjoy.

You do know that Australia resettles more refugees per capita than any other country, don't you? The UNHCR has praised Australia as having one of the best refugee resettlement programs in the world.

The criticism refers to asylum seekers, mostly those where a male endangers his family by using illegal human traffickers. This places Christians in a difficult situation - should they encourage people to come in this way in ever increasing numbers, with many dying in the process, or should they accept harsh methods that discourage the practice?

Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The things you list are great blessings but I was specifically referring to the welfare system that a healthy economy allows us to enjoy.

You do know that Australia resettles more refugees per capita than any other country, don't you? The UNHCR has praised Australia as having one of the best refugee resettlement programs in the world.

The criticism refers to asylum seekers, mostly those where a male endangers his family by using illegal human traffickers. This places Christians in a difficult situation - should they encourage people to come in this way in ever increasing numbers, with many dying in the process, or should they accept harsh methods that discourage the practice?
It is a load of rubbish to say we are trying to discourage the dangerous method. It is simply about refusing people. When you add the asylum seekers and refugees together you will get other countries taking far larger numbers than Australia. I'd like say the quote about lies and statistics but the automatic filter would kick in. If it really was about keeping people safe there are plenty of far cheaper options that would work. Fact is some asylum seekers need to leave in a hurry. They struggle with staying to get as much money together as possible as they will need it and leaving the country before they are killed. In one country the party in power has been the same "democratically" elected party for the last 30 years or so. Opposition exists for about a month before the election and then opposition leaders go missing just after they lose the election. Please don't continue with the lie that it is about saving lives. The inhumane way they are treated does not leave any challenge for christians. One does not have to accept the only options given by labor, coalition & greens. One can campaign for other approaches.

There is a reason people just don't take the church seriously when we eagerly support politicians who lack compassion and then tell others how they should live when we don't want to attempt to live up to the values Jesus commanded us to have.

No, they're just a bonus :)
As an age pensioner I get a generous pension, rent assistance, free medical treatment, subsidised medicines, subsidised dental & optical services, free public transport, free annual country return trip, as well as access to a number of other free or subsidised services.
Lucky you live in the correct state to get some of those benefits. Free public transport is very limited which narrows down either what you did in your working life or what kind pension you are on. In some states there is no pension rate on public transport so it costs a fair bit. Can be $15 return for a one hour suburban trip!

I think I would prefer Nauru to a deserted mining town!
It is not as bad as the left media makes out: "Nauru: Sifting truth from spin"
No No No and No. You do not get to dismiss other media as left and then quote News Ltd. News ltd are well known for being one of the most biased media outlets in the world. They are well known for operating with an agenda. We know it is fact that there are detention centres and people can not freely just walk about. Those who say they won't come to Australia are indeed let out and allowed to roam while paperwork is being processed. All one needs to do is look at how long it takes for paperwork to be completed (for many that will be never) if they want to come to Australia compared to those who say they will happily live in Nauru. The Australian govt website advises against travelling there although it is a moot point since all visas have been banned.
We also know restrictions were placed on where members of a senate committee was allowed to go when they visited. If people could go where ever they liked freely how would they have been restricted.

Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a load of rubbish to say we are trying to discourage the dangerous method. It is simply about refusing people. When you add the asylum seekers and refugees together you will get other countries taking far larger numbers than Australia. I'd like say the quote about lies and statistics but the automatic filter would kick in. If it really was about keeping people safe there are plenty of far cheaper options that would work. Fact is some asylum seekers need to leave in a hurry. They struggle with staying to get as much money together as possible as they will need it and leaving the country before they are killed. In one country the party in power has been the same "democratically" elected party for the last 30 years or so. Opposition exists for about a month before the election and then opposition leaders go missing just after they lose the election. Please don't continue with the lie that it is about saving lives. The inhumane way they are treated does not leave any challenge for christians. One does not have to accept the only options given by labor, coalition & greens. One can campaign for other approaches.

There is a reason people just don't take the church seriously when we eagerly support politicians who lack compassion and then tell others how they should live when we don't want to attempt to live up to the values Jesus commanded us to have.

Lucky you live in the correct state to get some of those benefits. Free public transport is very limited which narrows down either what you did in your working life or what kind pension you are on. In some states there is no pension rate on public transport so it costs a fair bit. Can be $15 return for a one hour suburban trip!

No No No and No. You do not get to dismiss other media as left and then quote News Ltd. News ltd are well known for being one of the most biased media outlets in the world. They are well known for operating with an agenda. We know it is fact that there are detention centres and people can not freely just walk about. Those who say they won't come to Australia are indeed let out and allowed to roam while paperwork is being processed. All one needs to do is look at how long it takes for paperwork to be completed (for many that will be never) if they want to come to Australia compared to those who say they will happily live in Nauru. The Australian govt website advises against travelling there although it is a moot point since all visas have been banned.
We also know restrictions were placed on where members of a senate committee was allowed to go when they visited. If people could go where ever they liked freely how would they have been restricted.
You have a simplistic approach to a complex situation. Devising a workable solution takes more than naïve goodwill.

People who support policies that encourage asylum seekers to engage with illegal human traffickers and risk their lives at sea have blood on their hands.

It seems you have swallowed the activists' lies hook, line & stinker. How clever to come up with ideas that neither Labor, Liberal or Greens have thought of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have a simplistic approach to a complex situation. Devising a workable solution takes more than naïve goodwill.

People who support policies that encourage asylum seekers to engage with illegal human traffickers and risk their lives at sea have blood on their hands.

It seems you have swallowed the activists' lies hook, line & stinker. How clever to come up with ideas that neither Labor, Liberal or Greens have thought of.
Thats because I actually want to avoid people using people smugglers while others don't. Thats the difference. You either continue to pretend that is what it is about or you have swallowed their lie hook, line & sinker. Part of the suggestion I made is not my idea but one that has been suggested by many others. That is that the processing could be done elsewhere as in before they get on the boats. It is very interesting what you decided not to respond to.

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I would prefer Nauru to a deserted mining town!
It is not as bad as the left media makes out: "Nauru: Sifting truth from spin"
A deserted mining town is better than what they are living in. Jesus probably would have picked them up in a boat and brought them over here instead of risking thier lives doing it illegally.

Upvote 0

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I an independent voter. I thought of Liberal but I don't agree with some of their policies and thing its a big waste of money to offer boat people the option to settle in Cambodia and there needs to be a royal commission on sexual abuse and abuses at detention centers. I believe in a more humane policy but I believe the government needs to continue to discourage refugees coming here by boat.

With Labor I used to support them but not any more. They did some wasteful money programs. Plus they will not allow dissidents of those against gay marriage in a few years time. Of course I have no big issue with people in political parties supporting gay marriage but disallowing people in the party that disagree with that is a break away with freedom of speech. I do agree that with regards to gay marriage there should be a conscious vote among politicians even though I against gay marriage.

Greens are Green on the inside but red on the inside. Yes I do support some of their programs on the environment but they want to legalise pot and other illegal drugs, and to ban public prayers in government and remove scripture classes at public schools. Also to legalise euthanasia and those that wish to have sex reassignment surgery will be covered under medicare. Also some of their programs will cost many jobs as well. It is ok for city dwellers as they wont be so affected but the job losses are more likely away from the city areas in certain country areas with mining and forestry.

Over all in Australia at least 80 000 fetuses are aborted annually and late term abortions are still allowed in some regions in Australia. I like to see the major political parties introduce programs to reduce the abortion rate and eliminate late term abortions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Like most voters I am totally disillusioned with politics and politicians in Australia. Who would've thought we would look back on John Howard as a hero? Who led us in the halcyon days of the Australian economy.
Rudd, Gillard, Abbott, all of the same ilk. And now yet another destined to disappoint us, Turnbull. I'm starting to think he has lost touch with the common man or maybe he never was in touch. What of his tax policy? I'm worried, very worried.
Why can't someone like Nick Xenophon just take over and lead Australia out of this mess? I get fed up with the Westminster system. We need someone who deosnt have to toe the party line, to get us back to where we were before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Like most voters I am totally disillusioned with politics and politicians in Australia. Who would've thought we would look back on John Howard as a hero? Who led us in the halcyon days of the Australian economy.
It is very easy to look good when you sell of public assets and with a mining boom bringing in money which allows you to promise tax cuts every election so people vote for you despite clear evidence he repeatedly lied to the public. Now we aare paying the price for his reckless tax cuts.

Rudd, Gillard, Abbott, all of the same ilk. And now yet another destined to disappoint us, Turnbull. I'm starting to think he has lost touch with the common man or maybe he never was in touch. What of his tax policy? I'm worried, very worried.
Why can't someone like Nick Xenophon just take over and lead Australia out of this mess? I get fed up with the Westminster system. We need someone who deosnt have to toe the party line, to get us back to where we were before.
How are Rudd, Gillard & Abbott of the same ilk? Is it just a case of you not understanding the system? Many think we vote for a party however we never ever vote for a party. We only vote for an individual. We do not vote for a PM. The PM is decided by the GG officially. Although convention says the GG should ask the leader of the party with most seats to be PM and form govt. However if there was good reason then the GG can actually ask another person to form govt which would make that person PM. Parties are free to change leader every week if they like. Some people may vote for a candidate because they are a member of the party they want in power or because they are in the same party as the person they want to be PM however that is not recognised by the electoral system.

I think many people don't realise what is good for the country. What is best policy may be unpopular such as the decision by the Hawke/Keating govt to make the recession in the 1990's last longer than it needed to so as to bring inflation down. Howard reaped the benefit of it. Of course Howard could only become PM because Andrew Peacock retired from politics. Before that the two of them were constantly fighting over the leadership until someone told them both to sit down and shut up.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Keating and Hawke. Ok we do owe them, don't we. Keating was such a bully though. It turned me off.
The Labour party. Bill Shorten is a puppet for the Unions. Similar to what Gillard was. At least Rudd wasn't. I didnt hate him as much as others did.
Penny Wong. She represents to me someone who uses the politically correct card too often. I actually felt sorry for Bernardi in that debate. He is extremely conservative but it takes courage to express politically incorrect opinions these days. Only Trump seems to get away with it.
I like that Labour politician from Sydney who was made deputy by Rudd. He's got morals, ethics and passion. what's his name.
there's a dearth in the liberal party though. Abbott was an absolute joke, bigger than Rudd and Gillard put together. he needs to soul search and find another career.
But we the voters have to accept some bad news such as an unpopular tax. Tax the rich? Ok too simplistic. just don't overtax me. :)

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Keating and Hawke. Ok we do owe them, don't we. Keating was such a bully though. It turned me off.
The Labour party. Bill Shorten is a puppet for the Unions. Similar to what Gillard was. At least Rudd wasn't. I didnt hate him as much as others did.
Yes Keating was a bully. Last time I voted liberals was the Keating/Hewson election. Hewson at least told us what he would do unlike keating. He also improved standards of behaviour in parliament amongst his own party.
Years later I found out he sold his investments at a loss so he could not be accused of a conflict of interest! I have so much respect for Hewson these days. I wonder if that would be different if he had been elected.

Penny Wong. She represents to me someone who uses the politically correct card too often.
I must admit the more I hear her the more I dislike her.

I actually felt sorry for Bernardi in that debate.
Although to be fair he has bought a lot of those problems on himself by some of his past actions and comments.

But we the voters have to accept some bad news such as an unpopular tax. Tax the rich? Ok too simplistic. just don't overtax me. :)
Yeah tax someone else is the general catch cry! However there are groups that have been hit hard by every single budget since Howards time and yet they still talk about cutting back on their payments. We seem to be wanting to make single parents homeless.
To me closing the tax loopholes for corporations makes sense. If they earn money here by selling here then they should pay tax here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dude99

Apr 12, 2014
✟40,407.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Xenophon has some good policies and preferable than the 2 clown leaders we have now in Liberal and Labor. I think it is likely to be a hung parliment just like some years ago. This will be a big wake up call to the major political parties with so many turning their backs on them.

Also what is sad is the treatment of asylum seekers and there are people still in detention for years now. Yet the mainstream media hides this. Also still people there still commit suicide due to the reasons of loosing all hope. This is totally unacceptable.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just remember you don't get to choose the leader in our system. All you get to choose is who your local member of parliament will be and the party with the most seats is invited to form government. Generally it is the person the party selects as leader although it is within the power of the GG to ask a different person in the party to form govt. They would need a good reason though.

Despite public appearance members of the party can often have heated discussions behind closed doors especially when determining policy. With Abbott we saw an unusual case where because they had made such a big deal about disunity in labor party then Abbott could say unity was vitally important and so people had to fall into line which allowed him to dictate policy in a way that normally would not happen.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Xenophon for PM. Honestly, these major parties don't deserve a majority. what a choice, shorten or turnbull!
Could be worse, could be down to Trump or Clinton

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Any aussies interested in talking about the latest Eddie Maquire saga? How he was caught joking about wanting to drown a famous female AFL journalist.
About time he was in the hot seat!
I caught the end of someone talking about it on RN just before. What happened, exactly?

Upvote 0