Leaders of Catholic, Anglican, and Orthodox Churches call for action regarding climate and the poor

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The leaders of three prominent Christian denominations have issued an unprecedented joint statement calling on people of all faiths to take action to halt the devastating impacts of climate change.

The statement from Pope Francis, Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby and Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew — who collectively minister to more than a billion-and-a-half Christian faithful— comes as the world's political leadership prepares for a major United Nations conference on climate change, COP26, scheduled for early November in Scotland.

The religious leaders also give special attention to the poor in the statement, who they note have made the least contribution to the greenhouse gas pollution that drives climate change but bear "the most catastrophic consequences."

"We call on everyone, whatever their belief or world view, to endeavour to listen to the cry of the earth and of people who are poor, examining their behaviour and pledging meaningful sacrifices for the sake of the earth which God has given us," the message said.

Pope Francis And Other Christian Leaders Are Calling For Bold Climate Action

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I almost started a thread on this a few days ago, but couldn't be bothered! LOL!

I think the world's mainstream churches have now gone full on new-age, and are demonstrably more interested in virtue signalling and worshipping at the alter of climate alarmism, rather than preaching the gospel.

And if these leaders read the Bible, they'd know that God fully intends to destroy the world as we know it, so maybe they should just focus on preaching the gospel and saving souls, instead of being worldly and preaching woke new-age bilge.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...maybe they should just focus on preaching the gospel and saving souls, instead of being worldly and preaching woke new-age bilge.

I think preserving God's creation and being good stewards of what has been given to us is not "new age bilge."

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"We call on everyone, whatever their belief or world view, to endeavour to listen to the cry of the earth and of people who are poor, examining their behaviour and pledging meaningful sacrifices for the sake of the earth which God has given us," the message said.

Lol, imagining in my head the "meaningful sacrifices" these filthy rich people are going to make "for the sake of the earth". Aside from sacrificing US, what else could they sacrifice?

Jet travel?
Boeuf Wagyu?
Cristal?
Couture?
Servants?

• Prayers
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lol, imagining in my head the "meaningful sacrifices" these filthy rich people are going to make "for the sake of the earth". Aside from sacrificing US, what else could they sacrifice?

Jet travel?
Boeuf Wagyu?
Cristal?
Couture?
Servants?

You had me couture! :nooo:

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Quotes from Martin Luther on Creation

"It is God who creates effects and preserves all things through God’s almighty power."

"If God is to create or to preserve a creature, God must be present and must make and preserve God’s creation both in its innermost and outermost aspects."

"God’s entire divine nature is wholly and entirely in all creatures, more deeply, more inwardly, more present than the creature is to itself."

"God is entirely and personally present in the wilderness, in the garden, in the field."

"The power of God is present at all places, even in the tiniest tree leaf."

"God is in all creatures, even in the smallest flowers."

"Adam was created, as it were, intoxicated with rejoicing toward God and was delighted also with all the other creatures."

"Animals are footprints of God."

"In a mouse we admire God’s creation and craft work. The same may be said about flies."

"Adam and Eve derived the fullness of joy and bliss from their contemplation of all the animal creatures."

"If the heart has been reformed by the spirit, it makes use of both the useful and delightful things created and given by God in a holy manner and with thanksgiving."

"In a delightful garden, sowing, planting or digging are not hardship but are done with a zeal and a certain pleasure."

"God wants to be praised for nourishing and cherishing, for God cherishes all creatures. God is not only the creator, but is also the sustainer and nourisher."

"God is wholly present in all creation, in every corner, behind you and before you. Do you think God is sleeping on a pillow in heaven? God is watching over you and protecting you."

When asked what he would do if the world would end tomorrow, "I would plant a tree today."

Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think preserving God's creation and being good stewards of what has been given to us is not "new age bilge."
In that case, it would be nice if all these leaders refrained from jet travel. I note that at least one of them has flown in the last week. They're just like all the other elites, do as we say, not as we do. They're a bunch of hypocrites! What's wrong with using Zoom?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There is a difference between being a good steward of that which we were given and pretending we are somehow capable of controlling things only God has the power to control. Hubris is not a Christian virtue.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
And if these leaders read the Bible, they'd know that God fully intends to destroy the world as we know it, so maybe they should just focus on preaching the gospel and saving souls, instead of being worldly and preaching woke new-age bilge.

If God intends to destroy the world, we don't have to help Him do it. Because, ya know, omnipotence and all. There is no need for us to hurry things along or destroy it ourselves. Making the planet a nice place to live for as long as we can would be a good thing to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
When asked what he would do if the world would end tomorrow, "I would plant a tree today."
A nice contrast to some christians, who answer when asked if they would plant a tree with "No, the world might end tomorrow".

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a difference between being a good steward of that which we were given and pretending we are somehow capable of controlling things only God has the power to control. Hubris is not a Christian virtue.

Revelation 11:18

People who think it's perfectly fine to despoil God's creation will be sorry.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Brian Peterson

Oct 1, 2021
New York
✟411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If God intends to destroy the world, we don't have to help Him do it. Because, ya know, omnipotence and all. There is no need for us to hurry things along or destroy it ourselves. Making the planet a nice place to live for as long as we can would be a good thing to do.

I fully support this judgment. In our time, and so there is a huge number of troubles, ranging from poverty and lack of water to global warming. I recently published several of my essays about global warming, where you can check them out here. There I reveal in more detail this problem, namely the influence of man and technology on changes, as well as what consequences await us if we do not begin to prevent the heating of our planet.

• Useful
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0