Le sigh. Question about conspiracy theory?

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
***ORTHODOX ANSWERS ONLY THANK YOU***

Gosh I don’t even know how to word this?
My priest is currently deployed, my husband isn’t Christian, and my godmother is 82 and her philosophical and theological English level isn’t very sturdy so here I am...lol
Have any of you guys heard chatter of the great reset?
Mostly I just hear it on here...I only found it on the actual website which looks more environmental than anything else. But a lot of people on here are talking about how it’s the the sign of the end times but I can’t even find anything literal or reliable outside of rumors or conspiracy theories. But from what I could find of reliable sources of the environmental protection proposal and the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, I don’t really think it’s horrible.
So, like I don’t even know what to say. I should probably just ignore it.
Now, you might be asking yourself, “Anastasia, why does this bother you?” Well, it’s cause I’m bipolar/schizoaffective and while some of these things are a trigger to me idk I have to be watchful but idk look at my post history if you really want the run down lol. It’s...complicated to say the least. I mean, I’m okay, not anxious or scared. It’s just, like a mental splinter. If that makes sense.
Anyways, god bless.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think we should just keep ourselves focused on the Lord & keep our faith by way of loving God & neighbor as best we can. I would think the book of Revelation should be read with utmost caution in times of distress.

Scriptures like Ecclesiastes 3, Ecclesiastes 12, Matthew 24, & Matthew 25, while plenty fearful also, are more focused & applicable for our disposition. Always keep John 16:33 in remembrance too. Romans 8 is a great sustainer.

Hope this is valid & helpful.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree that you should focus on Christ. we have been in the End Times since Pentecost, so we are called to be vigilant and to do the work Christ calls us to.

He knows what He's doing with us.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was raised in a Protestant tradition that focused on the end times. I have a tendency to get overly into these things. It causes me stress, extreme anxiety, and a lack of faith. If these things are happening there is nothing we can do about it. Even knowing about the end times changes nothing. We aren't called as Orthodox to worry about the end. We are called to pray and have faith. Part of that is not reading things that upset us. Just stay away from those websites and focus on being close to Jesus. That is the safest way to live. Everyone has given you good advice on here.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was raised in a Protestant tradition that focused on the end times. I have a tendency to get overly into these things. It causes me stress, extreme anxiety, and a lack of faith. If these things are happening there is nothing we can do about it. Even knowing about the end times changes nothing. We aren't called as Orthodox to worry about the end. We are called to pray and have faith. Part of that is not reading things that upset us. Just stay away from those websites and focus on being close to Jesus. That is the safest way to live. Everyone has given you good advice on here.
Same. It causes me great anxiety.

Thank you everyone for your comforting words and advice. I try to be to voice of reason in these forums but sometimes it gets to me lol

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have any of you guys heard chatter of the great reset?

I've heard of it, but not really paid attention to it. It just sounds like a rebranding of "Agenda 2030." The scriptures and the Church teaches us to have at least a minimum amount of vigilance and watchfulness.

That being said it all just sounds like another Tower of Babel to me.

God didn't create us equal. Some are tall, some are smart, some are creative, some are not any of those. Just like St. Paul wrote: Some preach, some teach, some interpret, etc.

Perhaps, your own constitution prevents you from being able to "handle" certain subjects, but just because you can't it doesn't mean others can't, either.

I can't handle advanced math. If I could avoid it I would. Let the mathematicians handle the equations. And because I know I can't handle math, it does me no good to argue with mathematicians about how I think math theory should operate.

In other words, "Stay in your lane."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've heard of it, but not really paid attention to it. It just sounds like a rebranding of "Agenda 2030." The scriptures and the Church teaches us to have at least a minimum amount of vigilance and watchfulness.

That being said it all just sounds like another Tower of Babel to me.

God didn't create us equal. Some are tall, some are smart, some are creative, some are not any of those. Just like St. Paul wrote: Some preach, some teach, some interpret, etc.

Perhaps, your own constitution prevents you from being able to "handle" certain subjects, but just because you can't it doesn't mean others can't, either.

I can't handle advanced math. If I could avoid it I would. Let the mathematicians handle the equations. And because I know I can't handle math, it does me no good to argue with mathematicians about how I think math theory should operate.

In other words, "Stay in your lane."

PEMDAS

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I certainly find it interesting that TAW has had no posts about the US elections or the reset, which would quite likely become a dumpster fire. I myself don’t start many threads, myself.

There are different issues all interwoven. The first is what has already been emphasized - that our God will have the last word, and we need not to despair (an easy temptation!), but should have faith, hope, and love, and keep doing what we can to avail ourselves of the Sacraments and Liturgy, and practice our Faith as we can.

The second is that we nevertheless care about what goes on in this world; we can hardly help it, and with a command to love our neighbor comes an imperative to try to change ourselves, and the world immediately around us at least, in our neighbor’s favor. In order to do anything along those lines, we want to understand what the heck is going on. We know that politics has a very real effect on our lives. We think that we may be able to influence that, and that begs the question of whether we actually do, whether voting represents any actual power, and if so, to what extent.

While questions are being begged and not asked, your post begs the question of what a conspiracy is, and there is a lot of the silly Pavlovian doggian reaction to the word “conspiracy” going around that knee-jerks with a reaction of “There IS no such thing as a conspiracy, how silly! Tin-foil hats, yadda yadda...”

So do men of wealth and power ever meet and agree in secret to expand their wealth and power at the expense of everybody else? Of course. It is a Fallen world, and all men are sinners, and many do not repent. So conspiracies obviously exist, and so the question becomes “Is it a genuine conspiracy, or only imagined? Is it true or false?

I think this one is true. Furthermore, I think the Great R***t is no longer a conspiracy, but an observable reality admitted by its agents. We have seen the leaders of the World Economic Forum, International Monetary Fund, Prime Ministers and even Prince Charles state that they are indeed planning to wholly restructure society in their image, using the coronavirus. We have seen Fox News, that supposed bastion if conservatism, censor Newt Gingrich when he mentioned the fact that George Soros funded the leadership of the summer riots, and forbid the mention of the name of that plutocrat who actually rules us. That’s not a conspiracy. They are TELLING us their intentions. So it IS a reality. The question of whether our votes mean anything any more, in the wake of the most doubted election to be conducted in our history, with a sudden and absolute reversal after midnight in the most questionable states, follows on that. That means we join the rest of the world in having rigged elections with candidates who do the will of the rich and powerful who truly rule (thus making “plutocracy” the most accurate word to describe it), whatever they say publicly to us.

The temptation to despair is easy. We are called to have faith in our God no matter the outcome. Testing awaits us all. So, “bone up for the test”. Keep the Faith. Go to Church. Confess, repent and commune.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"You be quiet!" -Tobit's wife

And to add to Rus's point, conspiracies are biblical. To dismiss the possibility that fallen man can conspire for their own benefits isn't a Christian view. The gospels are full of Pharisees conspiring, for instance. Delilah conspired against Samson, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Hermit76
Upvote 0

tapi

Apr 19, 2010
Stockholm
✟147,994.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I certainly find it interesting that TAW has had no posts about the US elections or the reset, which would quite likely become a dumpster fire. I myself don’t start many threads, myself.

There are different issues all interwoven. The first is what has already been emphasized - that our God will have the last word, and we need not to despair (an easy temptation!), but should have faith, hope, and love, and keep doing what we can to avail ourselves of the Sacraments and Liturgy, and practice our Faith as we can.

The second is that we nevertheless care about what goes on in this world; we can hardly help it, and with a command to love our neighbor comes an imperative to try to change ourselves, and the world immediately around us at least, in our neighbor’s favor. In order to do anything along those lines, we want to understand what the heck is going on. We know that politics has a very real effect on our lives. We think that we may be able to influence that, and that begs the question of whether we actually do, whether voting represents any actual power, and if so, to what extent.

While questions are being begged and not asked, your post begs the question of what a conspiracy is, and there is a lot of the silly Pavlovian doggian reaction to the word “conspiracy” going around that knee-jerks with a reaction of “There IS no such thing as a conspiracy, how silly! Tin-foil hats, yadda yadda...”

So do men of wealth and power ever meet and agree in secret to expand their wealth and power at the expense of everybody else? Of course. It is a Fallen world, and all men are sinners, and many do not repent. So conspiracies obviously exist, and so the question becomes “Is it a genuine conspiracy, or only imagined? Is it true or false?

I think this one is true. Furthermore, I think the Great R***t is no longer a conspiracy, but an observable reality admitted by its agents. We have seen the leaders of the World Economic Forum, International Monetary Fund, Prime Ministers and even Prince Charles state that they are indeed planning to wholly restructure society in their image, using the coronavirus. We have seen Fox News, that supposed bastion if conservatism, censor Newt Gingrich when he mentioned the fact that George Soros funded the leadership of the summer riots, and forbid the mention of the name of that plutocrat who actually rules us. That’s not a conspiracy. They are TELLING us their intentions. So it IS a reality. The question of whether our votes mean anything any more, in the wake of the most doubted election to be conducted in our history, with a sudden and absolute reversal after midnight in the most questionable states, follows on that. That means we join the rest of the world in having rigged elections with candidates who do the will of the rich and powerful who truly rule (thus making “plutocracy” the most accurate word to describe it), whatever they say publicly to us.

The temptation to despair is easy. We are called to have faith in our God no matter the outcome. Testing awaits us all. So, “bone up for the test”. Keep the Faith. Go to Church. Confess, repent and commune.

Sounds similar to Team Trump's allegations. A lot of talk, zero proof. Deliver the proof and we'll talk.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds similar to Team Trump's allegations. A lot of talk, zero proof. Deliver the proof and we'll talk.
A political response to a spiritual post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟36,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I consider this forum my home, despite my return to the Catholic Church, precisely because TAW is by and large apolitical (and I also happen to love Orthodoxy!). I know a lot of you here, despite having rarely posted in the past ten years, and most of you have good heads on your shoulders with plenty of valuable insights and resources to share. And I know the Orthodox here take issue with some things I necessarily believe as a Catholic -- things I will not bring up or debate here -- but I remember how kindly you treated one of CF's ambassadors who was once an Eastern Catholic, so I do not anticipate problems. Please do not let politics pollute this place! @rusmeister had a great and well thought-out response to this that I appreciate a lot, even if I'm not sure I agree with absolutely everything he said (and I really don't care to debate it with him, because to do so would miss the point he was making).

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A political response to a spiritual post.
Even my post was meant, in both its beginning and end, to encourage people to keep to the Faith, like Dory in "Finding Nemo": "Keep on swimming, keep on swimming..."

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Tony Esolen said something really good about all the talk about "proof":
"Each side believes the other side to be capable of the worst evils. I am not going to say with what justification they believe this. In the particular case of fraudulent elections, American history can provide plenty of examples. The presidential elections of 1876 and 1960 do not make for edifying study. And it is telling, that nobody says, "We would never cheat, because it is a dishonorable thing to do." They say, "You have no evidence that we cheated." Nobody ever said of Mrs. Clinton, "She and her husband would never have traded state favors for laundered money." They said that there was no proof of it. Nobody has said, "Mr. Biden would never use political office to enrich his family and to protect them from prosecution, because that would have been dishonorable." They say that there is no proof of it. Everybody assumes that everybody else is capable of the most dishonorable deeds.
Anyhow, Muggeridge can tell us why we are so riven with suspicion. Forget the particular persons involved. The rifts have been widening for a very long time. It is that when you define life as the pursuit of material goods such as pleasure, wealth, prestige, power, and comfort, you MUST fall out among yourselves, because there is nothing in those things that unites, no sacrifice that sanctifies, no duty that sobers you ...You have neither piety nor honor. Imagine someone who believes that life is about making your way to the "top" of something, usually a heap of garbage, but a prominent heap of garbage. Now imagine that person saying, "Despite the fact that it will bring me sorrow," or relative poverty, or obscurity, or anxious difficulties, "I MUST do this," or, more often, "I MUST NOT do this, because my duty comes first." It's a contradiction...."

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even my post was meant, in both its beginning and end, to encourage people to keep to the Faith, like Dory in "Finding Nemo": "Keep on swimming, keep on swimming..."
It was presented well.

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0