LDS LDS, which lesson manual says Heavenly Father has a wife?

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Jer_7:18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.
Jer_44:17 But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.
Jer_44:18 But since we left off to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, we have wanted all things, and have been consumed by the sword and by the famine.
Jer_44:19 And when we burned incense to the queen of heaven, and poured out drink offerings unto her, did we make her cakes to worship her, and pour out drink offerings unto her, without our men?
Jer_44:25 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled with your hand, saying, We will surely perform our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her: ye will surely accomplish your vows, and surely perform your vows.
Jer 44:27 Behold, I will watch over them for evil, and not for good: and all the men of Judah that are in the land of Egypt shall be consumed by the sword and by the famine, until there be an end of them.
Jer 44:28 Yet a small number that escape the sword shall return out of the land of Egypt into the land of Judah, and all the remnant of Judah, that are gone into the land of Egypt to sojourn there, shall know whose words shall stand, mine, or theirs.
Jer 44:29 And this shall be a sign unto you, saith the LORD, that I will punish you in this place, that ye may know that my words shall surely stand against you for evil:

God was not too thrilled with having a Queen of heaven. being worshiped. How do Mormons deal with this?
It is simple. We do not worship a queen of heaven. Therefore we are under no condemnation from God and He will not stand against us for evil.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This manual is no longer in print:

“By definition, exaltation includes the ability to procreate the family unit throughout eternity. This our Father in heaven has the power to do. His marriage partner is our mother in heaven. We are their spirit children, born to them in the bonds of celestial marriage.” (p. 129)
Achieving a Celestial Marriage Manual
The idea that "we are born to them" is not understood. IOW our earthly procreation experience, is irrelevent to how God and his wife bring forth spirit children. That process has not been explained to any of the prophets and is not understood by anyone today. So to make assumptions that procreation on earth is the same as in heaven in not appropriate.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So Heavenly Father is God, Heavenly Mother is not, but Heavenly Father did not marry down?

You worship Heavenly Father but do not worship Heavenly Mother, yet Heavenly Father did not marry down?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So Heavenly Father is God, Heavenly Mother is not, but Heavenly Father did not marry down?

You worship Heavenly Father but do not worship Heavenly Mother, yet Heavenly Father did not marry down?

Heavenly Mother is exalted. She can't be his wife if she isn't exalted. Eternal life, or exaltation, is to live in God's presence.

Approximately one year after I became a Mormon, one of the members wrote in my autograph book, "May you realize your full potential and become a goddess some day."

Eternal life is the phrase used in scripture to define the quality of life that our Eternal Father lives. The Lord declared, "This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (Moses 1:39). Immortality is to live forever as a resurrected being. Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, everyone will receive this gift. Eternal life, or exaltation, is to live in God's presence and to continue as families (see D&C 131:1–4). Like immortality, this gift is made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. However, to inherit eternal life requires our "obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel" (Articles of Faith 1:3).
Eternal Life

Latter-day Saints see all people as children of God in a full and complete sense; they consider every person divine in origin, nature, and potential. Each has an eternal core and is “a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents.”1 Each possesses seeds of divinity and must choose whether to live in harmony or tension with that divinity. Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, all people may “progress toward perfection and ultimately realize their divine destiny.”2 Just as a child can develop the attributes of his or her parents over time, the divine nature that humans inherit can be developed to become like their Heavenly Father's.
Becoming Like God

Those who inherit the celestial kingdom are gods, even the sons of God, D&C 76:50, 58.

Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, D&C 132:20.

Women can inherit the celestial kingdom.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here's a text I am teaching today...

2 Peter 1:16 KJV (same in JST)
For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ...

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

This thread has had a small clean. Please remember to not flame or goad one another. As a reminder of what flaming is:

Flaming and Goading
  • Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
  • Do not personally attack (insult, belittle, mock, ridicule) other members or groups of members on CF. Address only the content of the post and not the poster.
  • NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, smileys or post ratings which are clearly meant to goad. Quoting and then editing another members post to change the original meaning, commonly referred to as "fixed it for you" (FIFY), is considered goading.
  • Offensive derogatory nicknames and egregious inflammatory comments about public figures may be considered goading.
  • Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.
  • If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Heavenly Mother is exalted. She can't be his wife if she isn't exalted. Eternal life, or exaltation, is to live in God's presence.

Approximately one year after I became a Mormon, one of the members wrote in my autograph book, "May you realize your full potential and become a goddess some day."

Eternal life is the phrase used in scripture to define the quality of life that our Eternal Father lives. The Lord declared, "This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (Moses 1:39). Immortality is to live forever as a resurrected being. Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, everyone will receive this gift. Eternal life, or exaltation, is to live in God's presence and to continue as families (see D&C 131:1–4). Like immortality, this gift is made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. However, to inherit eternal life requires our "obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel" (Articles of Faith 1:3).
Eternal Life

Latter-day Saints see all people as children of God in a full and complete sense; they consider every person divine in origin, nature, and potential. Each has an eternal core and is “a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents.”1 Each possesses seeds of divinity and must choose whether to live in harmony or tension with that divinity. Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, all people may “progress toward perfection and ultimately realize their divine destiny.”2 Just as a child can develop the attributes of his or her parents over time, the divine nature that humans inherit can be developed to become like their Heavenly Father's.
Becoming Like God

Those who inherit the celestial kingdom are gods, even the sons of God, D&C 76:50, 58.

Thanks Phoebe, I could not have answered better than this. You are great.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Heavenly Mother is exalted. She can't be his wife if she isn't exalted. Eternal life, or exaltation, is to live in God's presence....

Mormonism is a puzzle:

I (and many others of my fellow Mormons who are women) would refute the charge of sexism. While it is true that women cannot hold certain "callings" or responsibilities (i.e. bishops, stake presidents, etc.), they can and do serve in many leadership positions, even on the world-wide level. It's also true that there are callings in the church that men cannot hold. Every Sunday I hear a sermon (talk) by a female member of the congregation. I (a man) have even been in a calling where I reported directly to a female "superior" (if there were such a thing in the church). In Mormonism, men and women are considered equals before God.
Are Mormons sexist? Are women not equal to men in the LDS ch… | All About Mormons

You can be qualified and hired as a religion professor at Brigham Young University, and yet teach:

"Women are queens and priestesses but not gods. The Godhead, the 'Presidency of Heaven,' is a presidency of three male deities, similar to a stake presidency whose members each have wives who are responsible for domestic religious education but not ecclesiastical functions."
- Rodney Turner, retired BYU religion professor, Sunstone Panel Discussion, September 7, 1991.

“We don't hear about Heavenly Mother because she is only one of many wives of god.”
- Sister Maxine Hanks, Women and Authority, Ch.11, p.251
Full text of "Women and Authority: Re-emerging Mormon Feminism"

Context of Maxine Hanks' quote:

PERSONAL DISCOURSE ON GOD THE MOTHER

An even more troublesome silencer is the implication that by
such discussion we may reveal the family secret of polygamy, and we
may find out more than we care to know: There could be several
mothers in the father’s harem. “We don’t hear about Heavenly
Mother because she is only one of many wives of god.”

Similarly, other women are wary of speaking of God the Mother
because men have already used her image to subordinate women, “to
perpetuate the patriarchal system.” “The men of the Mormon church
have subjugated Mother in Heaven to the same position as the other
women in the church.” Another woman writes that to speak of her
Mother in Heaven would be like “casting my pearls before swine.”

In contrast, one woman writes that she feels the silence surrounding
the mother god is sacred and in harmony with her inner,
intuitive workings: “I’ve never felt it right or had the need to pray
in public church to her. Her work is so inner and so much seems
to be done in sacred silence.”

Aside from our own silence on the topic is God the Mother’s
silence. One woman uses the scripture “Behold I stand at the door
and knock” to refer to God the Mother waiting only for us to open
the door. Another woman, dismissing the need to wait for male
authorities, or even for God the Father to speak, writes: “God the
Mother speaks for herself and she does speak to us, but we do not
listen.” Another woman echoes this: “I also sensed that she eagerly
awaits her place in our spiritual lives. She is there but only those
who ask will know it.” Yet another woman writes: “It is my
experience that if we seek her, she will nurture us.”

For some, connecting with the powerful creative energy of God
the Mother is an encounter with god the unspeakable, the indescrib-
able, because the experience cannot be transliterated into words. We
lack stories, models, and words to describe our experiences, so we
translate them into a language with images and words created for
the most part by men to describe male experience.

Language

These stories are not traditional testimonies because they con-
tain no language of exhortation or persuasion. They emanate from
a personal perspective rather than an orthodox, prescriptive perspec-

MARTHA PIERCE

tive. The focus is on truth-telling. The women say: “This is what
happened to me.” “This is what I think.” “This is my truth.” They
do not say, “Believe as I do” or even “Believe me.”

The women who write these stories acknowledge the difficulty
of singing their song in a strange tongue. In this case the difficulty
is singing the song of the Mother in the language of the fathers. As
french feminist Monique Wittig wrote: “The language you speak is
made up of words that are killing you.”
Full text of "Women and Authority: Re-emerging Mormon Feminism"

autism awareness.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Women are queens and priestesses but not gods. The Godhead, the 'Presidency of Heaven,' is a presidency of three male deities, similar to a stake presidency whose members each have wives who are responsible for domestic religious education but not ecclesiastical functions."
- Rodney Turner, retired BYU religion professor, Sunstone Panel Discussion, September 7, 1991.

Sunstone is not an approved outreach of the LDS church. My question is, "Why did someone who taught religion at BYU, not agree with other Mormons about the status of Heavenly Mother?"

Another question just came to mind: "What is a priestess?"

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From the BYU President's page:
The mission of Brigham Young University — founded, supported, and guided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — is to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life. That assistance should provide a period of intensive learning in a stimulating setting where a commitment to excellence is expected and the full realization of human potential is pursued. The Aims of a BYU Education seek to develop students of faith, intellect, and character who have the skills and the desire to continue learning and to serve others throughout their lives.
President Kevin J Worthen | Office of the President

Why would a retired BYU religion teacher be teaching something that wasn't inline with LDS teachings? That seems odd to me.

Upvote 0