LDS LDS Jesus -- Married with Children ???

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are just stating your own opinion on the subject. Perhaps that is because the Bible has no condemnation of polygamy.

I think it's important to note that women in the old testament were purchased from their fathers, and almost owned, similar to slaves and property. So it would seem that Polygamy is near to slavery in the old testament. ;)

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you believe that Jesus kept all of the commandments? God said this to Adam and Noah:
(Old Testament | Genesis 9:1)

1 AND God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

So you ARE affirming that Jesus was married with children

__ YES
__ NO

• Winner
Reactions: RoseCrystal
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,234.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you believe that Jesus kept all of the commandments? God said this to Adam and Noah:
(Old Testament | Genesis 9:1)

1 AND God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

I think reading into this verse without seeing what Paul or Christ said and standing on this verse alone is a shaky foundation. This doesn't tell us that there is a higher state of blessedness for those who go through temple marriage, it is a general command to have children. Yet if we read too much into this, are those who choose to remain celibate committing a sin? What about Jesus telling us we should accept the eunuch who made themselves a eunuch for the Kingdom of heaven (Matt 19:12). So is God imposing an absolute standard or as it were a general rule? I'm going to have to go with the latter, lest God be contradicting himself.

Also, I think by your attempts to demonstrate from the bible the absolute necessity of marriage, you would think also that Jesus would have to have been married? Lest he gets around your interpretation for being Jesus and not subject to the rules or injunctions in question you are reading as proscribing marriage as an absolute necessity. Am I wrong?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's clear from the Bible, that the apostles called Jesus Rabbi or Father because he is heavenly father. He is God. Now the OP indicated that a Mormon apostle said that Jesus married several of his children daughters.

Your argument about every church has polygamy in it's past is invalid. Since all churches currently treat it as evil like slavery was accepted and now evil, except Mormons who believe multiple marriage will be re instituted at some point and currently practice temple marriage of multiple women to men. They never grew in the belief that multiple marriage is evil.

Jesus is not Heavenly Father in Mormonism OR Christianity!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Funny ,I have never heard of Orson hyde or Joseph Fielding Smith or many other protestants, and I feel better for that ,as I realise how bad protestantism can be
with it's endless little individuals who think that they are important .

Mormons aren't Protestants. We are Christians and Mormonism is not Christian.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟521,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That does not rule it out. It is a question not a statement. All of the Rabbis were married.
Your rationale is not clear. Explain what you believe to be the interpretation of the Scriptures I provided. Furthermore we do not know that all the rabbis were married and in any event it is not proscribed in O.T. Law for them to be married. Also, Jesus was not a formal temple rabbi as those in O.T. He was self appointed.
Firstly, please give your interpretation of the Acts/Isaiah passages I provided as my proof so we can untangle your web together.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is certainly interesting, a spokesman for the church said in 2006 that it was only a few church leaders in the mid 1800s that believed Jesus was married, when there is written proof that is was certainly believed by President Joseph Fielding Smith (the Prophet at the time) in 1963, 1963 is certainly NOT the mid 1800s.

Source fairmormon.org
Dale Bills (Church spokesman, 2006): "The belief that Christ was married has never been official church doctrine"
Dale Bills, a spokesman for the Church:

The belief that Christ was married has never been official church doctrine. It is neither sanctioned nor taught by the church. While it is true that a few church leaders in the mid-1800s expressed their opinions on the matter, it was not then, and is not now, church doctrine.

Their Jesus didn't do what his father did? Tsk...tsk. I guess he was never exalted.

• Agree
Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟521,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think reading into this verse without seeing what Paul or Christ said and standing on this verse alone is a shaky foundation. This doesn't tell us that there is a higher state of blessedness for those who go through temple marriage, it is a general command to have children. Yet if we read too much into this, are those who choose to remain celibate committing a sin? What about Jesus telling us we should accept the eunuch who made themselves a eunuch for the Kingdom of heaven (Matt 19:12). So is God imposing an absolute standard or as it were a general rule? I'm going to have to go with the latter, lest God be contradicting himself.

Also, I think by your attempts to demonstrate from the bible the absolute necessity of marriage, you would think also that Jesus would have to have been married? Lest he gets around your interpretation for being Jesus and not subject to the rules or injunctions in question you are reading as proscribing marriage as an absolute necessity. Am I wrong?
Jesus says staying single is not only okay, but a higher calling...
Matthew 19:9-13:
9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”
10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”
11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

Apostle Paul also pens this theme 1 Corinthians 7:25-40.

Mormons like to be considered a part of Christianity and claim to adhere to the Scriptures. Truth is the Mormon teachings stemming from so-called prophets and teachers contradict the Holy Bible (66 books). They give themselves reason to do so I understand and so are no longer accountable to themselves or others and more importantly they are not making themselves accountable to God.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Mat 22:30
For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

That's from the Top -- kinda blows this 'celestial marriage' outta the water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus is not Heavenly Father in Mormonism OR Christianity!

Can you then please explain to me how Jesus is God and not your father? Since God is father to me, I don't understand your concept? I'm honestly asking cause I'm still knew to Christianity.

I looked up the term Trinity on wikipedia, it says:

The Christian doctrine of the Trinity (Latin: Trinitas, lit. 'triad', from Greek τριάς and τριάδα, from Latin: trinus "threefold") [2] holds that God is one God, but three coeternal consubstantial persons[3] or hypostases[4]—the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit—as "one God in three Divine Persons". The three Persons are distinct, yet are one "substance, essence or nature" (homoousios).[5] In this context, a "nature" is what one is, whereas a "person" is who one is.[6][7][8] Sometimes differing views are referred to as nontrinitarian.

In that context, Jesus is heavenly father as the trinity is one god. Or in other words, for Jesus the Christ to take on a wife of the children of God the Father is the same as God the Father taking on a child for a wife. Do you see my point?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Orson Hyde and Jospeh Fielding Smith are certainly NOT Jesus, I find the fact that you are trying to compare them ridiculous.
I am not trying to compare them. What I am doing is showing that some things are sacred and not to be discussed at various times and for various reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"We have now clearly shown that God the Father had a plurality of wives, one or more being in eternity, by whom He begat our spirits, as well as the spirit of Jesus His First Born, and another being upon the earth by whom He begat the tabernacle of Jesus, as His Only Begotten in this world.

We have also proved most clearly that the Son followed the example of his Father, and became the great Bridegroom to whom kings' daughters and many honorable Wives were to be married."

-- Apostle Orson Pratt
Orson Pratt, Celestial Marriage, Continued? (November 1853), The Seer, 172.
Cited in Carrigan, Did Jesus Christ Marry and Father Children?

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not trying to compare them. What I am doing is showing that some things are sacred and not to be discussed at various times and for various reasons.

Seems like the "sacred" card gets played (as was done in discussing Heavenly Mother") to avoid sticky questions.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
lol remember Gods ways are not our ways and his thoughts are higher then ours..so why even try to understand such? and why would it be so wrong for Jesus to have a wife, i mean if it were so? i don''t understand why some people get so aggressive about this. i see it all the time. whats so bad about it? haa i don't understand. its weird.

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0