United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Doctrine and Covenants 129:4-9 states

4 When a messenger comes saying he has a message from God, offer him your hand and request him to shake hands with you.

5 If he be an angel he will do so, and you will feel his hand.

6 If he be the spirit of a just man made perfect he will come in his glory; for that is the only way he can appear—

7 Ask him to shake hands with you, but he will not move, because it is contrary to the order of heaven for a just man to deceive; but he will still deliver his message.

8 If it be the devil as an angel of light, when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not feel anything; you may therefore detect him.

9 These are three grand keys whereby you may know whether any administration is from God.​

QUESTIONS:

[1] Has this test been used or is this test being currently used by Latter Day Saints ???? Cite some examples.

[2] If it has not been used and is not used why would God give this revelation to Joseph Smith ???[/QUOTE]

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your religious group publishes the Book of Mormon, JST, etc. why not these handshake confirmed messages from God?

So NONE of these have been revealed?

Joe could use this "God told me to" validation method to get out of a future jam? Pretty handy.

Upvote 0

Renata8

God is good always
Jun 14, 2020
Florida
✟13,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Drstevej this is really interesting.

Sometimes I can't tell if someone's intentions towards me are good or not initially. I do rely on my intuition and for that reason, I give them time to reveal themselves by being an observer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I prefer the Berean Test:

Now these (i.e. the Berean Christians) were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

I compare Mormonism to Scripture and then place the BOM in the dumpster. I do suggest that anyone using the handshake test use surgical gloves.

Knowledge of the Bible makes great surgical gloves.

person-nurse-or-doctor-with-gloves-stand-in-prayer-with-bible-in-hand-the-infected-person-stands-in-prayer-with-the-bible-in-his-hand-2BC0R9F.jpg

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
As we've tried to explain several times before now, most people who have had such visitations regard them as so sacred that they do not discuss them in public due to the disrespectful way such things are so often treated nowadays.
What about the ones who have discussed it? Where can we read about their experiences?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Doctrine and Covenants 129:4-9 states

4 When a messenger comes saying he has a message from God, offer him your hand and request him to shake hands with you.

5 If he be an angel he will do so, and you will feel his hand.

6 If he be the spirit of a just man made perfect he will come in his glory; for that is the only way he can appear—

7 Ask him to shake hands with you, but he will not move, because it is contrary to the order of heaven for a just man to deceive; but he will still deliver his message.

8 If it be the devil as an angel of light, when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not feel anything; you may therefore detect him.

9 These are three grand keys whereby you may know whether any administration is from God.​

QUESTIONS:

[1] Has this test been used or is this test being currently used by Latter Day Saints ???? Cite some examples.

[2] If it has not been used and is not used why would God give this revelation to Joseph Smith ???
[/QUOTE]
DrSteve, it must have been about a year. Every once a year you bring this topic up. You know all the answers, we have been over it about 4 times now. I think you do it because you want to mock rather than learn.

It is a simple process, use it if you wish, do no use it if you wish. But quit asking questions, you know everything there is to know already.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
DrSteve, it must have been about a year. Every once a year you bring this topic up. You know all the answers, we have been over it about 4 times now. I think you do it because you want to mock rather than learn.

It is a simple process, use it if you wish, do no use it if you wish. But quit asking questions, you know everything there is to know already.[/QUOTE]

If you wish to respond please be responsive to the question of this thread rather than post ad hominems and speculation about past threads.

Can you cite two or three actual uses of this methodology and how each is a bona fide application of this admonition?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

It is a simple process, use it if you wish, do no use it if you wish. But quit asking questions, you know everything there is to know already.
First I’ve heard of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States