LDS LDS, Are General Conference Talks Scripture?

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Please tell us. Thank you.
Yes they are. That being said I know where you are going with this. Therefore we know that the Journal Of Discourses are not necessarily the same as conference talks. They were written by second hand witnesses, and not by the speaker. Nor were they approved or edited by the apostles, and they were never sustained or approved by the body of the church.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Therefore we know that the Journal Of Discourses are not necessarily the same as conference talks. They were written by second hand witnesses, and not by the speaker.
Both the OT prophets and the NT apostles had scribes - "second hand witnesses". So your argument falls flat.
Nor were they approved or edited by the apostles, and they were never sustained or approved by the body of the church.
At the time they were written, none of the books of the Bible were "sustained or approved" by whatever church "body" was in existence at the time. Another failed argument.

For a "restored" church, you seem to want to introduce your own version (or JS's version) of a restoration and not what was actually in practice.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Both the OT prophets and the NT apostles had scribes - "second hand witnesses". So your argument falls flat.

At the time they were written, none of the books of the Bible were "sustained or approved" by whatever church "body" was in existence at the time. Another failed argument.

For a "restored" church, you seem to want to introduce your own version (or JS's version) of a restoration and not what was actually in practice.
The priesthood was indeed restored to the earth through John the Baptist and Peter, James, and John the apostles of Jesus Christ. I am glad the priesthood was restored and that there are prophets on the earth:

(New Testament | Ephesians 4:11 - 16)

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes they are. That being said I know where you are going with this. Therefore we know that the Journal Of Discourses are not necessarily the same as conference talks. They were written by second hand witnesses, and not by the speaker. Nor were they approved or edited by the apostles, and they were never sustained or approved by the body of the church.

This thread is not about books; it is about General Conference talks given by your church prophets.

The Words of the Prophets Delivered through the Spirit during General Conference Are Latter-day Scripture

• Scripture is the mind and will of God revealed through His servants (see D&C 68:4). The Apostle Peter declared, “Prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost” (2 Peter 1:21). Such scripture has been written and preserved in the standard works as priceless gems of eternal truth. However, the standard works are not the only source of scripture. Elder James E. Talmage (1862–1933) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles identified the connection between the standard works and the words of living prophets: “The Standard Works of the Church constitute the written authority of the Church in doctrine. Nevertheless, the Church holds itself in readiness to receive additional light and knowledge ‘pertaining to the Kingdom of God’ through divine revelation. We believe that God is as willing today as He ever has been to reveal His mind and will to man, and that He does so through His appointed servants—prophets, seers, and revelators—invested through ordination with the authority of the Holy Priesthood. We rely therefore on the teachings of the living oracles of God as of equal validity with the doctrines of the written word” (Articles of Faith [1968], 7; emphasis added)...
    • “Decide now to make general conference a priority in your life. Decide to listen carefully and follow the teachings that are given. Listen to or read the talks more than once to better understand and follow the counsel. As you do these things, the gates of hell will not prevail against you, the powers of darkness will be dispersed from before you, and the heavens will shake for your good” (in Conference Report, Oct. 2005, 53–55; or Ensign, Nov. 2005, 51–52; emphasis added).--- Elder Paul V. Johnson of the Seventy

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What a person is supposed to do is ignored by nearly everyone.
That is very unfortunate. Jesus wants us to keep the commandments:

(New Testament | John 14:15)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

You said: "I am pro-life, pro-human rights, pro-law and order, pro-first responders, and pro-special needs children and adults."

Excellent!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That is very unfortunate. Jesus wants us to keep the commandments

"The whole world lieth in wickedness."

Not everyone is Christian and most people don't even know or care what His commandments are.

You said: "I am pro-life, pro-human rights, pro-law and order, pro-first responders, and pro-special needs children and adults."

Excellent!

"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect."

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
"The whole world lieth in wickedness."

Not everyone is Christian and most people don't even know or care what His commandments are.

"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect."
You said: "Not everyone is Christian and most people don't even know or care what His commandments are."

Sadly not everyone is loving and kind.

Upvote 0