LCMS vs Science

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟101,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not LCM as you know, but I don't see how this is connected only to LCM's, every Christian faces this.

Many Christians do struggle with these questions, but not all in the same way. Not all faith traditions deal with it in the same way. The question was posted in an LCMS forum asking for an LCMS response, so that's the route we need to take.

With that said, I don't mind comments from @ViaCrucis. Participation by @Daniel9v9 is also a good thing. Even though we take different approaches, as long as we remember this is the LCMS forum, and as long as we don't create a confusing fog for @Hope1960 I think it's worth having the conversation.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I need more than that, I need scientific proof of things.

That’s ok Thomas needed physical proof as well and he still served the Lord all the same. How old the earth is, isn’t a matter that jeopardizes our salvation my friend.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m sorry, but you’re not helping. Scripture isn’t going to help. I’ve got Proverbs 3:5 tattooed on my ankle for goodness sake.

Think about what science says about Christ’s resurrection. According to science it’s impossible for Jesus to be resurrected after being dead for 3 days. God isn’t limited to work within the boundaries of science.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many Christians do struggle with these questions, but not all in the same way. Not all faith traditions deal with it in the same way. The question was posted in an LCMS forum asking for an LCMS response, so that's the route we need to take.

With that said, I don't mind comments from @ViaCrucis. Participation by @Daniel9v9 is also a good thing. Even though we take different approaches, as long as we remember this is the LCMS forum, and as long as we don't create a confusing fog for @Hope1960 I think it's worth having the conversation.

I know.
Are you LCM by the way? Hard to know when people don't have a label.

I don't actually consider myself to be any specific label other than Christian, and I do share the LCM stance on creation, so my take on the OP's question should be the same or similar as the LCM.
Brief Statement of LCMS Doctrinal Position - The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod
We teach that God has created heaven and earth, and that in the manner and in the space of time recorded in the Holy Scriptures, especially Gen. 1 and 2, namely, by His almighty creative word, and in six days. We reject every doctrine which denies or limits the work of creation as taught in Scripture. In our days it is denied or limited by those who assert, ostensibly in deference to science, that the world came into existence through a process of evolution; that is, that it has, in immense periods of time, developed more or less of itself. Since no man was present when it pleased God to create the world, we must look for a reliable account of creation to God's own record, found in God's own book, the Bible. We accept God's own record with full confidence and confess with Luther's Catechism: "I believe that God has made me and all creatures."

The other reason I responded is the OP has pm'd me before on this topic. This seems to be an area of struggle for them.

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟101,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do share the LCM stance on creation ...

As I said, the LCMS has no desire to take a position on scientific questions (or, for that matter, a host of other political, civic, and professional questions). We differ from most American evangelical congregations in that regard. Why do we mention it then? I think that's important to understand, as it qualifies the nature of the response.

In short, the LCMS is not trying to create a laundry list of dogma related to all these questions. The focus ever remains on Christ - preaching, teaching, and administration of the sacraments.

Upvote 0