• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

LCMS evangelical?

Discussion in 'LCMS / WELS / ELS / LCC' started by Brigid63, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Brigid63

Brigid63 Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+131
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    I am starting to understand what Lutherans mean by "evangelical" and what they don't mean.

2. Jerry Falwell Hanson

Jerry Falwell Hanson New Member

+3
    United States
    Protestant
    Married

3. Karen Hauser

Karen Hauser New Member

+0
    United States
    United Ch. of Christ
    Widowed
    Jerry,
    I am sorry you feel as though our message has been weakened through the increased support for loons like DT. I can't agree more, but it is always good to remain positive and uphold your faith for the sake of the people who need you. For the sake of the community you represent, your children, wife, and parents, Do not do not DO NOT lose faith. God created you for a reason, and I feel every child of his must remain faithful and outspoken in their respective communities.

4. Newtheran

Newtheran Well-Known Member

+492
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    It's absolutely not. If those two merged, It would take me about 30 seconds to bail.

5. James Murphy

James Murphy LCMS Lutheran

+328
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Yeah, no kidding. WELS here I come lol :p

6. Newtheran

+492
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yeah. Given current trends, I find it much more likely that the ELCA will merge with the North American UMC, the UCC, and the Episcopalians to form a single left leaning denomination. Whatever issues they have regarding polity can probably be worked out given their agreement on social issues.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  7. TKA_TN

TKA_TN Member

+67
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Wish they would, honestly. I get some funny looks sometimes when I say I'm a Lutheran. I then have to explain that there's a Conservative branch that keeps with the Confessions, and a Liberal branch that doesn't and that I belong to the former.

8. Newtheran

+492
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    Working through the concept of sacraments vs ordinances was the biggest doctrinal difference I came up against when I started moving in this direction. The conclusion I came to was that the Orthodox probably have the most rational view of it with infant baptism with immediate chrismation and full participation in the life of the church.

Whether you adopt the baptist view of delaying baptism plus an age of accountability or infant baptism plus a confirmation that plus portion ends up adding some sort of philosophical construct to the equation to make it rational. But infant baptism plus confirmation is a much more reasonable approach than "age of accountability".

9. kdm1984

kdm1984 LCMS Lutheran

+148
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'm surprised at how many people are oblivious to that. Just saw a thread here today where someone said 'Lutherans' ordain women. Um, the ELCA might, but LCMS and WELS sure don't.

10. tampasteve

tampasteve Lutheran Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,184
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Sure, buts it's understandable given that most Lutheran churches do. The conservative confessional synod's don't, but they are pretty outnumbered by the ELCA in the USA and the Lutheran churches in Europe that do ordain women.

That said, the conservative synods should try and get their message out better, which is the topic of another active thread here.

11. Newtheran

+492
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    Statement discusses ELCA decision to ordain homosexuals

It's gone far beyond that, the ELCA is ordaining people who are LGBTPQ.

12. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,447
    Presbyterian
    Single
    My aunt and uncle were Methodist missionaries in Bolivia. At that time (which was decades ago) they said that in Latin America evangelical was used to mean Protestant. As Methodists they were considered evangelical.

Wikipedia (Evangelicalism - Wikipedia) gives a variety of historical influences. But I would say that the modern use really dates to around 1950, when what was sometimes called neo-evangelicalism developed out of the fundamentalist movement, as a group that was more interested in engaging the culture. Conservative parts of various mainline traditions now call themselves evangelical. And there's some merit to that, because they share a lot of theology with the original neo-evangelicals.

The word "evangelical" in the ELCA's name is the older usage.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  13. MarkRohfrietsch

MarkRohfrietsch Unapologetic Apologist Supporter

+3,688
    Lutheran
    Married
    Such only scratches the surface. What makes the LCMS evangelical is Bible based theology without the application of various critical standards (mostly historical (that was then, this is now), the application of human Logic; and using personal experience to filter and interpret the Bible). Scripture interprets scripture, and scripture provides context to scripture. While we adhere to historic tradition, those practices and even our Lutheran Confessions remain subject to the authority of Scripture.

14. MarkRohfrietsch

+3,688
    Lutheran
    Married
    Well, it is rhetoric; they are not. The body of Lutherans that signed that agreement with the RCC still hold it up, but their theology has regressed further to secular humanism where not even their rhetorical agreement applies any longer.

In reality, it was no more than a "photo opp".

15. MarkRohfrietsch

+3,688
    Lutheran
    Married
    Me too!

16. MarkRohfrietsch

+3,688
    Lutheran
    Married
    Let it mean to them what they want it to mean. That is no different than applying historic criticism to Scripture itself. Minimalism at it's best... create your own reality.