Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Theoretical science is theories based on evidence that has been interpreted. It's not "stone-cold hard facts", as you put it in a different thread. It's theory and closely connected with and often intermingled with philosophy or even ancient religious ideas.

Hard science, however, is hard facts. An example of this could be "1+1=2", where there is no interpretation involved.

Now, some scientists argue against the distinction between theoretical and hard science. However, it gets convoluted and somewhat ironic, because again, it becomes a philosophical debate, and not a debate about science, properly speaking.

In other words, how the word "science" is thrown around in our day, is often more correctly "theoretical science", which is heavily influenced by philosophy. I can add to this that the area of theoretical science is progressive, meaning it's changeable, whereas hard science is fixed, it's unchangeable. God's Word is also unchangeable, which is why it agrees with hard science, but not always with the various theories in the field of theoretical science.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm in no way trying to sound rude towards d_taylor, but if you, dear Hope1960, want to discuss the topic from a Lutheran and/or scientific point of view then there is no use in arguing with a flat-earther. Perhaps skip those inputs...
That’s my plan. Debating would be a waste of time.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0