LBC caller says England should lose World Cup because of multiracial team

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
LBC caller says England should lose World Cup because of multiracial team
A man who called a radio station to say England's World Cup team should lose because of its multiracial team was shut down by Mirror man Kevin Maguire.

'Ian' called into LBC on Saturday, ahead of England's crunch quarter-final match against Sweden and was soon branded a racist by listeners.

Whenever people talk about people going against their own self-interest, sometimes putting down other races or cultures is their self-interest.

Judging by the likely outcome, I guess this guy will hate both contenders if England makes it to the final.

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't want a country to (solely) lose because of their ethnic composition.. but the Western European squads are basically fielding colonial teams...
Teams like Japan, Nigeria, Croatia etc seem to be more accurate representations of their nation's indigenous talent pool (?)

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't want a country to (solely) lose because of their ethnic composition.. but the Western European squads are basically fielding colonial teams...

Teams like Japan, Nigeria, Croatia etc seem to be more accurate representations of their nation's indigenous talent pool (?)

What does it matter if the teams are indigenous ?

What does that even mean ?

Does it hearken back to a time when humanity did not move and resettle itself in distant ... and/or not so distant lands ?

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What does it matter if the teams are indigenous ?

What does that even mean ?

Does it hearken back to a time when humanity did not move ?

Yes, that's what it means .. the World Cup is essentially an old school tribal battle.
I think that's part of why it's compelling.. trying to prove your nation is better (@ soccer) than other nations..
Western Europe fields colonial teams now, not really national teams like Japan & Croatia, etc..

Why do you think the teams were initially divided by country (?) It's a tribal battle, some fans don't like rooting for a squad that doesn't accurately reflect their tribe.. this isn't professional sports.. it's an emotional & ethnic pride competition.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
How many Ainu are part of Japan's soccer team? I don't think they have any Ainu. But to your point, I think a nation is more than its ethnic makeup from thousands of years ago. If we look at Egypt those aren't the same people that were there 2000 or 4000 years ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
to your point, I think a nation is more than its ethnic makeup from thousands of years ago..

Ok, I'm game.. so your point is.. no team actually can field a true national team (?) Because the standard (of a Nation) is only 4000 years in the past and/or essentially chimerical (?)
Then in your opinion, how should the competitors be divided (?) Geographic boundaries aren't fair either right.. There were no demarcated states of Germany or Nigeria 4000 years ago (?)

If you dont believe the World Cup is (or should be) a tribal battle (am I gathering that correctly ?), what would be your alternate competitive purpose or model (specifically for the World Cup).. keeping in my mind there r already hundreds of cosmopolitan pro soccer leagues.
Fans/players just pick a jersey color as their squad to play for/root for..

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Is the fact that some random people are racist ‘Richards’ news?
No, but his attitude is an interesting take. I would rather my country lose than to have a team comprised of immigrants.

It's also in line with this article that's made this observation about some European teams:
What the Best World Cup Teams Say About Immigration
Three of the four national teams in the World Cup semifinals — France, Belgium and England — are, one might think, icons of European diversity. Immigrants and sons of immigrants are overrepresented on these squads compared with the demographics of these countries as a whole. But one could also see this diversity as a sign that integration isn’t working too well in much of Europe.

France’s starting lineup in Tuesday’s semifinal against Belgium contained five players born overseas or to immigrant parents: Cameroonian-born Samuel Umtiti; N’Golo Kante, whose parents came from Mali; son of Guinean parents Paul Pogba; Kylian Mbappe, whose father is Cameroonian and mother Algerian; and Blaise Matuidi, son of an Angolan father and a Congolese mother. That’s 45 percent of the starting 11. Non-European Union immigrants and their children make up only 13.5 percent of France’s population, according to Eurostat.

I was rooting for England, I have some family from there, but I'll cheer for France now.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that's what it means .. the World Cup is essentially an old school tribal battle.
I think that's part of why it's compelling.. trying to prove your nation is better (@ soccer) than other nations..
Western Europe fields colonial teams now, not really national teams like Japan & Croatia, etc..

But many nations are multi-ethnic now, which is a reflection of human progress, I would think ...

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Ok, I'm game.. so your point is.. no team actually can field a true national team (?) Because the standard (of a Nation) is only 4000 years in the past and/or essentially chimerical (?)
Then in your opinion, how should the competitors be divided (?) Geographic boundaries aren't fair either right.. There were no demarcated states of Germany or Nigeria 4000 years ago right (?)

If you dont believe the World Cup is (or should be) a tribal battle (am I gathering that correctly ?), what would be your alternate competitive purpose or model (specifically for the World Cup).. keeping in my mind there r already hundreds of cosmopolitan pro soccer leagues.
Fans/players just pick a jersey color as their squad to play for/root for..
My point is that the people called indigenous may not actually be indigenous. The Ainu are the indigenous people in Japan, so the Japanese team isn't indigenous at all. I think what defines a nation is far less to do with ethnicity and more to do with ideas. Nations generally reflected ethnicity alone, in my opinion, mostly because of limited technology and geography. But in a global world, I think it's the ideas that define a nation more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
But many nations are multi-ethnic now, which is a reflection of human progress, I would think ...

Fair enough.. but you may not appreciate the emotion of the tribal sports fan..
Go to a boxing match some time between two fighters of different ethnic backgrounds.. I'm telling u, sometimes it's about emotion & ethnic pride.. not how noble globalism is. Peace

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My point is that the people called indigenous may not actually be indigenous. The Ainu are the indigenous people in Japan, so the Japanese team isn't indigenous at all. I think what defines a nation is far less to do with ethnicity and more to do with ideas. Nations generally reflected ethnicity alone, in my opinion, mostly because of limited technology and geography. But in a global world, I think it's the ideas that define a nation more.

I basically agree with everything u just posted ^.

But I believe your real point (with this post) is to demonize White soccer fans who want Whiter (West European) national teams, no (?) Or attempt to make them feel foolish w/hair-splitting definitions of what the standard of indigenous is..
So I'm asking, if u believe the tribalism of the World Cup is eliciting a bad thing.. what we better a better formula, moving forward, your opinion (?)

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

But I believe your real point (with this post) is to demonize White soccer fans who want Whiter (West European) national teams, no (?) Or attempt to make them feel foolish w/hair-splitting definitions of what the standard of indigenous is..
So I'm asking, if u believe the tribalism of the World Cup is eliciting a bad thing.. what we better a better formula, moving forward, your opinion (?)

Shouldn't today's teams reflect today's world ?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

They are foolish. The World Cup is about nations, not races.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0