• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Laziness

Homie

Gods servant
Jul 8, 2002
Visit site
✟15,878.00
Faith
Christian
I'm am struggling with laziness. I am so lazy that it probably constitutes a sin. I am not kidding, it is effecting my life. My schoolwork ( I used to be quite good), my social life (I hardly bother to go out), my spiritual life (not much bible reading, prayer, or christian fellowship), my health (I don't work out or keep a good eating habit, my body is decaying, I used to be quite good looking).

So I ask that you please post scriptures regarding laziness, I know there are plenty. Scriptures of the positive effects of hard work and the negative effects of laziness to get me motivated. Thanks for your help brothers and sisters :)

(It just occured to me: I am opening a thread for people to find me scriptures because I am too lazy to find them myself :sigh: )

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
I would really encourage you to get into the word now. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. Some verses in the NKJV regarding laziness include:

Titus 1:12-13: "One of them [not true elders, see v10-11], a prophet of their own, said "Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons." This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply that they may be sound in the faith"

There's some more in Proverbs, but how about you look them up in a NKJV concordance (the old KJV doesn't usually use the word lazy)

Upvote 0

OracleX

Healer of Broken Hearts
Jan 17, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟9,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Here are a few passages, most are from Proverbs - it speaks a great deal to laziness.  Some of them are very similar to each other but the amount that it speaks against laziness says something.  All passages in NASB.

Proverbs 6:6, 9  "Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise ... How long will you lie down, O sluggard?  When will you arise from your sleep?"

Proverbs 10:4  "Poor is he who works with a negligent hand, But the hand of the diligent makes rich."

Proverbs 13:4  "The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, But the soul of the diligent is made fat."

Proverbs 15:19  "The way of the lazy is as a hedge of thorns, But the path of the upright is a highway."

Proverbs 19:15, 24  "Laziness casts into a deep sleep, And an idle man will suffer hunger .... The sluggard buries his hand in the dish, But will not even bring it back to his mouth."

Proverbs 20:4  "The sluggard does not plow after the autumn, So he begs during the harvest and has nothing."

Proverbs 26:14-16  "As the door turns on its hinges, So does the sluggard on his bed.  The sluggard buries his hand in the dish; He is weary of bringing it to his mouth again.  The sluggard is wiser in his own eyes Than seven men who can give a discreet answer."

Ecclesiastes 10:18  "Through indolence the rafters sag, and through slackness the house leaks."

Matthew 25:26-27  "But his master answered and said to him, 'You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed. 'Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest."

Hebrews 6:10-12  "For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown toward His name, in having  ministered and in still ministering to the saints. And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence so as to realize the full assurance of hope until the end, so that you will not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises."

Upvote 0

Amy

Quiet Kitty
Jun 1, 2002
Visit site
✟1,608.00
Faith
Christian
Dear Homie,

First of, I want to say that you have noticed that something is wrong, and you started working on it. Believe me, it's a lot. You're on the right track!

Now, as a form of encouragement, I will tell you about one person fallen into the sin of laziness so completely that it is now what seems to be ruling his life. See what laziness can do to you. You don't want to get there.

This man started buying paper plates because he is too lazy to wash his dishes. But then, he is also too lazy to throw the used paper plates away, so they are scattered around the house. His once-nice 5-bedroom house now looks like a dumpster: stuff cluttered everywhere, dirty laundry and all kinds of garbage on the floor, etc., etc. He is too lazy to even open his mail! I'm not kidding you. Mail gets stacked everywhere, and if he does bring himself up to open what looks important, empty envelopes go flying on the floor: taking a few steps to the trashcan is just too much for this slob. I can go on and on. This man is a Christian. Sad, isn't it?

Upvote 0

OracleX

Healer of Broken Hearts
Jan 17, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟9,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I hear ya blue! I am finally by God's grace making progress with my gaming addiction. It caused many problems in my marriage, my education, my family and even my career. I have played games all my life and it has been the hardest thing for me to break. Thank God we have a mighty Savior!

I will keep you in my prayers.

Upvote 0

OracleX

Healer of Broken Hearts
Jan 17, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟9,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Replace games with something else. Spend time in this forum or pickup another hobby. I was misrible (sp) when I tried to quit. I think that now I am finally able to play when I am able and not every moment that I can steal.

I have ended spending a lot more time with my family and started to read again. Cracking open a bunch of my favorite books from Bible college and getting back into some of my old passions. It has been a great response too! The further I have got from games the more passionate I have been for God and the more I feel Gods leading. Not only that but the tension in the home is way down and I have time to talk to that person called my wife :) I have all but stopped playing games with the exception of one which I play with a friend every once in a while. I don't play on my own anymore.

I pray that God will help you in this struggle. It is a hard one. But when He gives you the victory, it is sweet indeed!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ryder

Whatever was the deplorable word
Jan 13, 2003
Michigan
✟15,589.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's hard being an obsesive-compulsive. I think that's what I must be... A little revelation I've been having. I agree alot with what you said about not playing alone. That is the main thing I'm trying to quit! And it's the biggest waste within a waste, so to speak. Just sitting and playing against the computer.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Ryder Veldhuis
It's hard being an obsesive-compulsive. I think that's what I must be... A little revelation I've been having. I agree alot with what you said about not playing alone. That is the main thing I'm trying to quit! And it's the biggest waste within a waste, so to speak. Just sitting and playing against the computer.

LOL! :D

Awww, come on! I just have to get the final armor and tech attack for my character! REALLY!!!!!

Dang, I don't know if I'm suffering from laziness or what, but I have been EXTREMELY unmotivated to do stuff for school, and I'm finally in a major that I love!!! It's totally ludicrous. I am recovering from a terrible run of semesters where I was unhappy with what I was doing, and I am so submersed in this habit of not wanting to have anything to do with schoolwork, I'm afraid it will start affecting my grades. Help! I don't want this same old sad story to repeat itself, not when I'm finally enjoying the area that I'm in. :sigh:

Upvote 0