• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Lazarus and 2 witnesses of Reve 11 similarity

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by LittleLambofJesus, Apr 24, 2010.

1. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus PESKY DEVIL! GIT! l SAID GIT! Supporter

+27,726
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    The Covenantle parable of the richman/lazarus is perhaps the largest study of the Bible.

Lazarus is mentioned in a parable of Luke 16 and he is mentioned in the Gospel of John.
    What I find interesting between that parable and John 11:39 is the event of the 2 witnesses being resurrected without being buried!
    They are called directly up to Heaven by Jesus, whereas in John, he is simply resurrected, prooving to the Jews that He was indeed the Ressurection and the Life.
    Any thoughts from others on this?

John 11:
    39 Jesus is saying "take away ye!" the stone.
    Martha is saying to Him, the sister of the one having deceased, "Lord, already he stinking, for it is fourth-day
    43 And these saying, to a Voice great He cries-out "Lazarus, hither out!"

Revelation 11:
    9 And are observing out of the peoples and tribes and tongues and nations the body/*s of them days three and half-equal and the bodies of them not they suffer to be placed into tomb.
    11 And after the three days and half-equal a breath of life out of the God entered in them and they stand upon their feet and fear great fall upon the ones observing them.
    12 And they hear a Voice great out of the Heaven saying to them "ascend ye here!" And they ascended into the heaven in the cloud....

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

Luke 16:22
    Became yet to be dying the poor-one, and him to be carried away by the Messengers into the Bosom of Abraham.
    Died yet also the rich-one and was buried.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+14,963
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Suffer. That reminds me:

YouTube - The Bridge on the River Kwai Theme

3. LittleLambofJesus

+27,726
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Curiously, that form of the greek word is used only in that 1 verse. [according to the ISA interlinear I use]

Scripture4All - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

Reve 11:9 And are observing out of the peoples and tribes and tongues and nations the bodys of them, days three and half-equal, and the bodies of them not they suffer/are-sending/letting/afhsousin <863> (5692) to be placed into tomb.

863. aphiemi af-ee'-ay-mee from 575 and hiemi (to send; an intensive form of eimi, to go); to send forth, in various applications (as follow):--cry, forgive, forsake, lay aside, leave, let (alone, be, go, have), omit, put (send) away, remit, suffer, yield up.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  4. JamesAH

JamesAH Well-Known Member

+154
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    LLOJ how dare you put a thought provoking thread here in GT :eek: :thumbsup:

5. LittleLambofJesus

+27,726
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    I guess it must be too thought provoking as it seems to have fell by the wayside :D

6. Standing Up

Standing Up On and on

+2,536
    Christian
    Private
    Well, how do you go from 1 person Lazarus to 2 witnesses?

How do you go from 1 buried and 2 not buried?

What exactly is the connection you're trying to make?

7. LittleLambofJesus

+27,726
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    I guess that depends on who the "2 witnesses" are symbolizing.
    Looks to me like Ezekiel 37:10 and Reve 11:11 fit nicely together....Thoughts? :wave:

Ezekiel 37:10 So I prophesied as He commanded me and a breath/spirit came into them and they lived and they stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army.
    11 Then He said to me, "Son of adam, these bones are the whole house of Israel.
    [Revelation 11:11]

Reve 11:11 And after the three days and half-equal, a spirit/breath of life out of the God entered in them and they stand/esthsan <2476> (5627) on their feet and great fear falls upon the ones observing them.

Reve 20:5 The rest of the dead-ones not live until should be being finished the thousand years.
    This the Resurrection/ana-stasiV <386>, the First/prwth <4413>.

8. LittleLambofJesus

+27,726
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Any other views on this?

9. LittleLambofJesus

+27,726
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Np..........

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  10. LittleLambofJesus

+27,726
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Np........

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  11. ivebeenshown

ivebeenshown Expert invisible poster and thread killer

+543
    Catholic
    Married
    LLoJ, I think that the two witnesses are best understood in the context of Revelation itself. Revelation begins with letters to the seven 'candlesticks/lampstands', with a threat that the candlestick might be removed, and only two of the churches were found to be blameless and commended/encouraged by the Lord. These two churches were called 'Philadelphia' (brotherly love) and 'Smyrna' (myrrh.) The Lord calls upon them to endure patiently, and says that they will undergo tribulation.

All other interpretations of 'who' the two witnesses are appear to be too far removed from the context of Revelation itself, which appears to be a more valid explanation.

12. LittleLambofJesus

+27,726
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    The miracles they performed appear to be similar to those of Moses and Elijah in the OT/OC

Would the 2 witnesses literally be those 2 or perhaps in the spirit of them?

Reve 11:3 And I shall be giving the two witnesses of Me and they shall be prophesying a thousand two hundred sixty days, having been about-cast sackcloths
    6 These are having authority to lock the heaven that no shower may be raining the days of the prophecy of them, [Elijah:1 King 17/James 5:17]
    and authority they are having upon of the waters to be turning them into blood and to smite the land in every blow as often ever they should willing.[Moses:Exodus 7]

[​IMG]

13. LittleLambofJesus

+27,726
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    shameless bump :prayer:

14. LittleLambofJesus

+27,726
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    One more shameless bump....

15. LittleLambofJesus

+27,726
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Why thankee.....The Spirit compelled me..........:)

16. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+2,857
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    The two witnesses of Rev 11 are the Word of God - the Old and New Testament that was so often banned or burned and placed on the "forbidden books" list - under oppression and suppression in one form or another for 1260 years during the dark ages persecution of the saints.

in Christ,

Bob

17. granpa

granpa Noahide/Rationalist

+50
    Buddhist
    Private
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  18. timewerx

timewerx the village i--o--t--

+4,029
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Burial is a symbol of respect, refusal of burial is a humiliating punishment for being a bad person or being a nobody.

Maybe in the times of Jesus, people literally did not bury those whom the community hated.

Even Hitler was not buried because the whole world hated him. The two witnesses won't be buried as well because the whole world hated them.

Luke 6:22
    Blessed are you when people hate you,
    when they exclude you and insult you
    and reject your name as evil,
    because of the Son of Man.

19. granpa

granpa Noahide/Rationalist

+50
    Buddhist
    Private
    the two witnesses are Jabal and Jubal

20. LittleLambofJesus