singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
was wondering where your church stands on laying on of hands ... i've been a member of one of the Baptist churches here for two years ... still learning the ins and outs after coming from an Assembly of God church ... yesterday a dear friend of forty years contacted me wanting to know if my church did laying on of hands for healing prayer ... she's in very poor shape ... one lung, heart issues, two rare autoimmune diseases, diabetes, and a couple more things ... those being the largest ... contacted my pastor and found out it is something they don't do ... he said they do lay hands on people but not for healing ... just for prayer ... that he didn't want to present us that way because healing is done by the Lord ... i get that but struggling to wrap my head around this answer ... was hoping someone could help me understand if this is all Baptist churches? how do you feel about that answer? and am i missing something in my understanding of laying on of hands? i didn't realize there was a question of it being right or wrong ... i know the Lord does the healing but always believed we were praying in agreement ... kinda confused now ... thank you for any help ...

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟733,159.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not a baptist, but I saw this post. I do believe in healing for the sick. If you would like we can get our church to pray for your friend. One of my clients had a daughter who was sick with Ulcerative Colitis, severe pain and bleeding of the bowl, we got the church to pray, and he came back and told us she was healed, and doctors were able to take medications right down.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
.. that he didn't want to present us that way because healing is done by the Lord ...

Show your pastor James 5 and ask him to think it over. It says the Lord will raise him up, so the Lord will still get the glory.

James 5:13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I am not a baptist, but I saw this post. I do believe in healing for the sick. If you would like we can get our church to pray for your friend. One of my clients had a daughter who was sick with Ulcerative Colitis, severe pain and bleeding of the bowl, we got the church to pray, and he came back and told us she was healed, and doctors were able to take medications right down.

thank you for your reply ... i appreciate it ... i'm working to set up a time for her to have hands laid on her ... when i know the day and time i'll post it and if you have time that would be awesome ... thank you for a kind heart ...

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

Feb 22, 2005
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Show your pastor James 5 and ask him to think it over. It says the Lord will raise him up, so the Lord will still get the glory.

James 5:13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.

thank you so much ... that's the way i've always understood it ... that it's not by our might or power ... but the Lord acting upon our obedience to it ...

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I first got saved, I thought laying on hands had to do with beating people up. I came from a rough hood. The guy in the back is holding the victim while the guy in front smacks him thus "laying on hands".

upload_2021-3-2_19-1-18.jpeg

Here we are checking on who survived to hit again.

LqMyU194bTbYY2MFsmY-pjp_VPg3nLyItEURbiS9il24o2vxCLEc-D4_oEzXaeHyjOB-Tas381Mv4W5dQ41uaVhxPj9AV8FKsB5EDac70nHPZqadnSwfdR3Ijg9RXNURuFCE4Y1ToSoUDR0E

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
was wondering where your church stands on laying on of hands ... i've been a member of one of the Baptist churches here for two years ... still learning the ins and outs after coming from an Assembly of God church ... yesterday a dear friend of forty years contacted me wanting to know if my church did laying on of hands for healing prayer ... she's in very poor shape ... one lung, heart issues, two rare autoimmune diseases, diabetes, and a couple more things ... those being the largest ... contacted my pastor and found out it is something they don't do ... he said they do lay hands on people but not for healing ... just for prayer ... that he didn't want to present us that way because healing is done by the Lord ... i get that but struggling to wrap my head around this answer ... was hoping someone could help me understand if this is all Baptist churches? how do you feel about that answer? and am i missing something in my understanding of laying on of hands? i didn't realize there was a question of it being right or wrong ... i know the Lord does the healing but always believed we were praying in agreement ... kinda confused now ... thank you for any help ...

Contact your church Elders to lay hands on her. Baptist don't make a public show of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thank you so much ... that's the way i've always understood it ... that it's not by our might or power ... but the Lord acting upon our obedience to it ...

See also Acts 4...
truly in this city there were gathered together against Your holy [t]servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the https://biblehub.com/nasb_/acts/4.htm#fnGentiles and the peoples of Israel, 28to do whatever Your hand and purpose predestined to occur. 29And [v]now, Lord, look at their threats, and grant it to Your bond-servants to speak Your word with all confidence, 30while You extend Your hand to heal, and [w]signs and wonders take place through the name of Your holy [x]servant Jesus.” 31And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness.

So grace to be bold so that He will move...

Also James 5...
Is any one of you suffering? He should pray. Is anyone cheerful? He should sing praises. 14Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick. The Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power to prevail. 17Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. 18Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth yielded its crops.

Upvote 0

yellowMan

Jan 26, 2020
atlanta
✟22,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I've attended a few baptist churches over the years. The only time I've seen laying on of hands by church staff is when deacons were "initiating" a new deacon. By initiating I simply mean that the deacons would gather around the man and pray for him while each of their hands were on his shoulder (or the other deacons shoulders). It is purely a symbolic tradition - a 'welcome to the club' kind of thing.

Upvote 0