Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is anyone familiar with this group? It seems like a interesting organization that I could get involved with perhaps. It is a part of the ELCA and one must be a member of the ELCA or a church in full communion with the ELCA (such as TEC).
olf2

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd not heard of the group prior to your post. I'm not sure you would want my honest reaction.
I would be happy to hear an honest opinion, so long as it fits the topic and ELCA forum SOP (this thread is in the ELCA sub-forum). Obviously Luther was against orders as they were at the time, but a lay order is inherently different IMO.

*Edit*
I did not put this thread in the ELCA sub forum as I thought above. So, be that as it is, I am open to hearing differing and non-ELCA opinions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would be happy to hear an honest opinion, so long as it fits the topic and ELCA forum SOP (this thread is in the ELCA sub-forum). Obviously Luther was against orders as they were at the time, but a lay order is inherently different IMO.

Did your thread get moved? It's not in the subforum. Had it been, I wouldn't have replied as I am not ELCA. I am LCMS. If you only want ELCA replies, I'll bow out.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did your thread get moved? It's not in the subforum. Had it been, I wouldn't have replied as I am not ELCA. I am LCMS. If you only want ELCA replies, I'll bow out.
Ha, I just noticed that too and edited the post to reflect it. We must have been writing at the same time.

I am open to other non-ELCA Lutheran opinions too. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You're going to make me feel bad for what will undoubtedly be a snarky reply. The link didn't really give much information. Why do these people feel it is necessary to "rebuild" the church? What's wrong with the church that it needs rebuilding? It sounds like a moralistic crusade that will eventually turn puritanical - not at all what Christ is about.

Moreover, my impression is one of hippies who miss the 1960s. So, they're masking a longing for the Age of Aquarius in monastic clothing. It's a way to play "monk" and justify it with nice platitudes.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That sounds entirely reasonable to me!

I am not at all familiar with the group, but as a Catholic revert I can say that it is very common in the RCC for lay people to be members of similar groups. It helps foster community and personal piety. Many Lutheran churches could use some rebuilding as well as they have lost touch with their history and Liturgy - whether this group does anything in that regard is another matter. I was active in the Knights of Columbus at my RCC parish and enjoyed it, I wish there were a comparable group for Lutherans.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
There are Franciscans in the ELCA, though the spirituality doesn't necessarily fit easily with some interpretations of Lutheranism: it doesn't exactly fit with the old Lutheran ethos of duty within an often rigid and hierarchical understanding of the "orders of creation". But given that many in the ELCA are critical of that mindset anyways (owing to its association with quietism in the face of horrors in the 20th century), our church may be moving in a more "Franciscan" direction anyways, as we emphasize "God's work, our hands", which is very much in keeping with the Franciscan ethos.

We commemorated St. Francis last Sunday at our congregation and we had a blessing of the animals service in the evening. It was kitschy (I wish people would talk more about Francis tried to move the Church in a more humanistic direction, about his spirituality for the poor and the outcast, etc.). However, it was also humbling, in its own way, and presented opportunities for some of the laity to be involved in the ministry.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I do typically gravite towards more traditional naturalistic Christian organizations but in this case I don’t belong to an institution that is in full communion with the ELCA. I attend a LCMC congregation.

Case in point my current siggy ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is anyone familiar with this group? It seems like a interesting organization that I could get involved with perhaps. It is a part of the ELCA and one must be a member of the ELCA or a church in full communion with the ELCA (such as TEC).
olf2

I am a member of a religious order (not this one).

I guess the first thing I would ask yourself is why you want to join a religious order, then why you want to join this religious order. Your summary says you are "Libertarian"; it would seem to be that someone who favors Libertarian beliefs would find it difficult to live under a religious rule.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a member of a religious order (not this one).

I guess the first thing I would ask yourself is why you want to join a religious order, then why you want to join this religious order.
This is good advice. I am interested to hear about other orders for Lutherans, would you mind sharing?
Your summary says you are "Libertarian"; it would seem to be that someone who favors Libertarian beliefs would find it difficult to live under a religious rule.

I do not feel there is a conflict with Libertarianism. As a Libertarian, I do not believe in forcing my beliefs on others, but if I choose to be under a rule willingly then that is my choice.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our order is not Lutheran; its rule is a modification of the original created by St. Bernard.
Interesting....is there any way to read more about the order? Is there a website, or maybe you could PM me if you would rather not put it in the open forum?

Upvote 0