Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am a convinced Classical Reformed Calvinist.I have been spending most of my time studying Classical Covenant Theology.I have read a lot on the Law,as a republication of the Covenant of Works on Mount Sinai.The Law is what makes sin known and it increases of our sin.To demonstrate how sinful we are are,and how we are held in bondage to the Law,because of our sin.Our conscience bears witness to our sinful condition under this Law.Because no flesh will be justified through the Law.But the Law still demands of us perfect righteousness,or we will be punished for our disobedience.

Can anyone please enlighten me,why people do not believe that the Law drives sinners to Christ? Why it is wrong to believe that the Law convicts sinners of their wickedness and condemnation under the Law.And makes sinners realize their need of a Savior,because there is no hope for sinners under the Law.That sinners thirst for a Savior and hope to be saved,because they deserve to be thrown into the fires of hell,for their sinfulness.That the only place for a sinner is at the feet of a Merciful God?

Can anyone please explain this to me?

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I need to warn you that I’m a liberal Presbyterian, so my reasoning may not be interesting to you. I’ll also confess that the PCUSA isn’t involved in discussions like this, because they all seem pretty much beside the point to us, so I certainly don’t know the fine points of the debates over covenant theology.

First, I’m not opposed to the three uses of the Law, at least for Lutherans. It’s a reasonable way for someone with Lutheran principles to deal with Paul’s ambivalence towards the Law. It gives the Law important roles, without giving it a role in actual justification.

However it’s not my preferred approach, because I don’t think it’s consistent with Jesus’ use of the Law, and I think Paul can better be understood in other ways.

Jesus, more explicitly in the sermon on the mount, but also elsewhere, seems to have seen the Law as a temporary expression of lasting principles. E.g. he says that Moses gave a law on divorce because it was necessary under the circumstances, but that it didn’t reflect God’s deeper intentions. And in Mat 5 he sees the 10 commandments as representing more radical principles.

Jesus considered those lasting principles to still be valid. They don’t set the terms for our salvation, because God is gracious and forgiving, but they are still binding on Christians. As far as I can tell, this was true in the OT as well, though in the OT the more legalistic Mosaic version would have been the standard.

I think this was Paul’s point as well. I’m not convinced that he opposed Law and grace quite so categorically as Lutherans are. He rejected the Law as setting the terms for salvation. He also rejected circumcision and other Jewish distinctives as defining who are God’s people. That would be consistent with Jesus’ view that the Mosaic form of the Law was temporary. But I don’t read him as setting up a Law vs grace opposition in the way that Lutherans do, so I don’t quite need the Lutheran approach to resolving that opposition.

The danger with the Lutheran approach to the Law is that it can make God look dishonest. He creates obligations which he isn’t serious about, in order to make us give up. In the extreme, this leads to interpretations of Jesus that say he wasn’t serious about his teaching, but was just trying to make people realize their hopelessness. It seems to me that we don’t need to look at obligations which are no longer binding in order to make us realize the need for grace. Jesus’ standards based on love for neighbor and intention vs letter are certainly sufficient to make us realize that we need forgiveness, and can’t possibly claim any merit before God. And those standards are in fact binding on us. God saves sinners, people who don’t do everything they’re supposed to do by Jesus’ teachings. This is my real answer to your question of how one can not believe that the Law drives us to Christ. Jesus’ teachings are sufficient for that.

I also have a problem with any concept of republication of the covenant of works, because it seems like a way of undermining the basic teaching that there’s only one covenant. I don’t object to the concept of “material republication,” according to which there is a moral law which was present in Eden and is also embodied in the Mosaic law. But that’s not really a covenant of works, and you seem to mean more than that.

I also have a problem with the underlying assumption that the only reason people come to Christ is because they are convicted of the impossibility of keeping the Law. This is a Lutheran equivalent of the idea that the main point of Jesus is to save us from hell. But that’s not Jesus’ teaching. For him the Gospel is that he is bringing the Kingdom among us. He’s calling us to be part of this. Yes, we’re accountable for how we respond, and yes, forgiveness of sins is part of the Kingdom. But we’ve got a larger purpose than just saving our skins, and there are plenty of Christians who are motivated to be part of the Kingdom by things other than despair of being able to keep the Law.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am a convinced Classical Reformed Calvinist.I have been spending most of my time studying Classical Covenant Theology.I have read a lot on the Law,as a republication of the Covenant of Works on Mount Sinai.The Law is what makes sin known and it increases of our sin.To demonstrate how sinful we are are,and how we are held in bondage to the Law,because of our sin.Our conscience bears witness to our sinful condition under this Law.Because no flesh will be justified through the Law.But the Law still demands of us perfect righteousness,or we will be punished for our disobedience.

Can anyone please enlighten me,why people do not believe that the Law drives sinners to Christ? Why it is wrong to believe that the Law convicts sinners of their wickedness and condemnation under the Law.And makes sinners realize their need of a Savior,because there is no hope for sinners under the Law.That sinners thirst for a Savior and hope to be saved,because they deserve to be thrown into the fires of hell,for their sinfulness.That the only place for a sinner is at the feet of a Merciful God?

Can anyone please explain this to me?
Baptist Covenant theology and Presbyterian covenant theology differ in many, if not most, respects. Baptists hold to a covenant of works given to Adam in the Garden when he was commanded to not eat of the tree. It was republished as a covenant of works at Sinai and its whole purpose was to point us to our need of a Savior who is God. Our view of the Covenant of Grace made before the foundation of the world is that it is revealed progressively from Adam until Christ and now the New Covenant brought in by Christ is that everlasting Covenant of peace.

I do not hold to a third use of the law as do most Reformed folks, both Baptist and Presbyterian, which views the law as a rule of life for the believer. I understand the law to point us to our need of Christ and we who believe are no longer under the law in any sense. We are dead to the law in Christ and no longer are under its bondage or its obligations. We are truly free from the law. Which makes us free to do those things out of love which the law demands by obligation.

Those who use the law as a rule of life for the believer actually destroy the highness and holiness of the law by bringing it down to a point which can be achieved. I have a far too high view of the righteousness of the law than to even consider that I am able to keep it in any sense other than the imputation of the righteousness of Christ to me.

Those who use the law as anything other than a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ do so because they are enamored by the natural desire to do something. They make repentance and obedience to be salvation though they would never admit it. They set themselves up as judges of others and practice so-called church discipline by their flawed view.

The Lord Jesus Christ, the Beloved Son of God, is all my righteousness, all my holiness and all my acceptance with a thrice holy God who cannot even look upon the slightest taint of sin without stirring His wrath. In Christ by faith I am as holy as God's own Son. I need nothing else than Him for He is enough for God and enough for me.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Can anyone please enlighten me,why people do not believe that the Law drives sinners to Christ? Why it is wrong to believe that the Law convicts sinners of their wickedness and condemnation under the Law.And makes sinners realize their need of a Savior,because there is no hope for sinners under the Law.That sinners thirst for a Savior and hope to be saved,because they deserve to be thrown into the fires of hell,for their sinfulness.That the only place for a sinner is at the feet of a Merciful God? Can anyone please explain this to me?

Hey ladodgers6, I don't believe we have talked yet on CF. Nice to meet you. I hold to the Third Use of the Law (see Reformed Confessions, works of Martin Luther, etc). I believe people are simply confused about what the Law actually is. Many good men will teach that we have nothing to do with the Law, at all, but those same folks would never tell you to;

1) worship other Gods
2) worship idols
3) take the name of the Lord in vain
4) honor the Lord's Day/skip church when the local assembly gathers
5) disrespect your parents
6) murder
7) commit adultery
8) steal
9) gossip or tell lies
10) covet

In a theological sense many will deny the continuing use of the Law in the life of a believer but will live, practically speaking, according to the Law. Protestantism has been pretty united in this area, that Christians should view the Law, not as a covenant by which we are saved, but see it as a way "to reveal what is pleasing to God. As born-again children of God, the law enlightens us as to what is pleasing to our Father, whom we seek to serve. The Christian delights in the law as God Himself delights in it. Jesus said, “If you love Me, keep My commandments” (John 14:15). This is the highest function of the law, to serve as an instrument for the people of God to give Him honor and glory." R.C. Sproul

Sproul recommends the following for further reading;

Calvin's Institutes, bk. II, 1:304-310
Psalm 19:7-11
Psalm 119:9-16
Romans 7:7-25
Romans 8:3-4
1 Corinthians 7:19
Galatians 3:24

O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

jm

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Baptist Covenant theology and Presbyterian covenant theology differ in many, if not most, respects. Baptists hold to a covenant of works given to Adam in the Garden when he was commanded to not eat of the tree. It was republished as a covenant of works at Sinai and its whole purpose was to point us to our need of a Savior who is God. Our view of the Covenant of Grace made before the foundation of the world is that it is revealed progressively from Adam until Christ and now the New Covenant brought in by Christ is that everlasting Covenant of peace.
I believe this too.
I do not hold to a third use of the law as do most Reformed folks, both Baptist and Presbyterian, which views the law as a rule of life for the believer. I understand the law to point us to our need of Christ and we who believe are no longer under the law in any sense. We are dead to the law in Christ and no longer are under its bondage or its obligations. We are truly free from the law. Which makes us free to do those things out of love which the law demands by obligation.
I do believe in the tird use of the Law.As Calvinism & Lutheranism teaches the third use of the Law,because as Paul says,'Should we continue to sin,so that Grace may abound?" Certainly not,we must uphold the Law! Not to merit salvation through it,because we are already saved.But because we are saved.Should we who are freed from sin,continue it in? We are children of light,and should walk in the light,not in the darkness from which we are freed in Christ through Faith Alone! We are lights to the world,bearing witness through what we preach,teach and how we walk.As the Reformers stated,We are saved by Faith Alone,but not by a Faith that is Alone!
Those who use the law as a rule of life for the believer actually destroy the highness and holiness of the law by bringing it down to a point which can be achieved. I have a far too high view of the righteousness of the law than to even consider that I am able to keep it in any sense other than the imputation of the righteousness of Christ to me.
No sir,we are not by any means saying that even our works as believers save us.But being grafted into the living vine;which is Christ through Faith Alone,we bear fruit.This is the result of our Justification in Christ Alone! How can we say we believe Christ,but not follow him as Lord? Okay we can say we believe,but live like we did before we believed? Can we practice sin because we are under Grace? Are we not to repent of our sins? Or continue to sin,without repenting? Are we not disciples of Christ?
Those who use the law as anything other than a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ do so because they are enamored by the natural desire to do something. They make repentance and obedience to be salvation though they would never admit it. They set themselves up as judges of others and practice so-called church discipline by their flawed view.
But what place does the Law play in the believer's life.Are we not called to be Holy? Not to earn salvation,but because we are now the children of God! Are we not slaves to righteousness,now?
The Lord Jesus Christ, the Beloved Son of God, is all my righteousness, all my holiness and all my acceptance with a thrice holy God who cannot even look upon the slightest taint of sin without stirring His wrath. In Christ by faith I am as holy as God's own Son. I need nothing else than Him for He is enough for God and enough for me.
Again I agree with this statement 100%.But does this give us an excuse to continue to sin? Is this not why we should walk in Holiness,because we are freed from the Power of Sin?I truly believe in Justification by Faith Alone in Christ Alone! I understand how sinners are Justified before a Holy God who demands perfect righteousness,that can only be found in Christ Alone and received through Faith Alone apart from any works ours before and after conversion.But how does the Law relate to the believers?

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I believe this too.
Great!
I do believe in the tird use of the Law.As Calvinism & Lutheranism teaches the third use of the Law,because as Paul says,'Should we continue to sin,so that Grace may abound?" Certainly not,we must uphold the Law! Not to merit salvation through it,because we are already saved.But because we are saved.Should we who are freed from sin,continue it in? We are children of light,and should walk in the light,not in the darkness from which we are freed in Christ through Faith Alone! We are lights to the world,bearing witness through what we preach,teach and how we walk.As the Reformers stated,We are saved by Faith Alone,but not by a Faith that is Alone!
Do you need a binding law to motivate you to do those things which please Christ? Or are you motivated by love? Can the whip of the law drive you to obedience because love can't?

Say that I hired a woman to be my housekeeper. I give her a list of my expectations and rules of my house which she must adhere to. I post them of the fridge so she can know and be reminded of them. But I fall in love with her and marry her. Does she now still need the list in order to please me or does she now do it because she loves me? Do I still require her to be under the bondage of the rules in order to please me? Of course not. She is free from that bondage because I love her and she loves me.
No sir,we are not by any means saying that even our works as believers save us.But being grafted into the living vine;which is Christ through Faith Alone,we bear fruit.This is the result of our Justification in Christ Alone! How can we say we believe Christ,but not follow him as Lord?
Again do you really need a law as a rule to motivate you to follow Him as Lord? If He is your Savior He is your Lord. You must use a whip, the law, to drive goats but sheep follow their Shepherd and a whip scatters them. The third use of the law has one of two results: it robs the believer of any peace because he is always aware of his failures or it makes men so self-righteous that no one can stand them.
Okay we can say we believe,but live like we did before we believed? Can we practice sin because we are under Grace?
What have you ever done that wasn't mixed with sin? Can the law keep you from sin any better than love for Christ can?

We are a new creation, not a reformation of the old one. We now have the mind of Christ and no longer live as we did because we are no longer ruled by our sinful nature. The old man, the flesh, rears its ugly head constantly as long as we are in this body of death to be sure but it no longer rules the true believer. I am convinced that the Lord leaves us in this body of death in order to wean us from our sin.

We used to cure dogs from killing our chickens by tying the dead chicken around its neck until it rotted off. I assure you that after carrying that stinking rotten carcass around it never again killed chickens. Is that what our Lord does with us? We carry that stinking carcass of our old flesh around and its stink is in our nostrils continually. That stink keeps us aware of our sin and drives us away from it.
Are we not to repent of our sins? Or continue to sin,without repenting? Are we not disciples of Christ?
So how does the law make you a better disciple than love for your Savior does?
But what place does the Law play in the believer's life.
None whatsoever. We are free from the law and are never to go back under its bondage.
Are we not called to be Holy?
Does the law make you more holy?
Not to earn salvation,but because we are now the children of God! Are we not slaves to righteousness,now?
Does the law make you righteous or is your righteousness and holiness that which is Christ's? Does God bless you because of your righteousness or because of Christ's? Are you still seeking to earn something from God by the law or do you truly rest in the finished work of Christ alone? The so-called third use of the law satisfies the natural man's desire to do something to please God. We may no longer use the law to earn salvation but we do use it to earn the favor of God without ever considering that is what we are doing. We expect God to look on us with a little better favor when we do what the law requires, or what we have determined what the law requires. By doing so we not only destroy the righteousness of the law with our lowered standards but we implicitly deny that Christ is enough for God and enough for us. We are not really resting in Christ.

Resting in Christ to to quit working for any reason. It means that we no longer need to do anything because He is enough and all that God will accept. When we truly rest in Christ alone we are finally free to work not out of obligation or to merit something from God but because we want to please Him who loved us and gave Himself for us. We don't do anything because we are commanded to but because we desire to out of love. We aren't obligated to do anything anymore but we obey Him and follow Him because we love Him. We don't need a rule to drive us we are free to follow Him.
Again I agree with this statement 100%.But does this give us an excuse to continue to sin?
Sin has no excuse. Yet because of His love for me I am more aware of my sin today than I was 30 or more years ago. I find myself to be more of a sinner every day. The stench of this rotten corpse that I live in grows in my nostrils as a sickening and putrid smell the longer I live in it. Yet I still go back into the darkness far too often and if it weren't for the grace of God keeping me I would run headlong back into that stinking death called sin. As much as I hate that stink it seems to draw me way too much. I find myself to be like a buzzard circling a dead corpse drawn by the stink. I long for the days when like an eagle I can soar above all that rottenness and putrid smell.
Is this not why we should walk in Holiness,because we are freed from the Power of Sin?I truly believe in Justification by Faith Alone in Christ Alone! I understand how sinners are Justified before a Holy God who demands perfect righteousness,that can only be found in Christ Alone and received through Faith Alone apart from any works ours before and after conversion.But how does the Law relate to the believers?
The law has no hold of any kind on the believer. Rom. 10:4 says that Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believes. That word end has all of its connotations in mind. He is the end of the law as in its purpose, the end of the law as in its fulfillment, the end of the law as in its object and the end of the law as in its termination. He is the end of the law in every sense of the word and for every reason. He is the end of the Law for righteousness of any kind, both justifying and sanctifying righteousness. We are no more sanctified by the law than we are justified by the law. We are not under law but under grace.

I know this has been rather a long response but I hope it has been helpful to you. I am your servant in Christ, twin.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Great!
Do you need a binding law to motivate you to do those things which please Christ? Or are you motivated by love? Can the whip of the law drive you to obedience because love can't?
Please answer not my question,but Paul's.Should we continue to sin? Yes or No?
Say that I hired a woman to be my housekeeper. I give her a list of my expectations and rules of my house which she must adhere to. I post them of the fridge so she can know and be reminded of them. But I fall in love with her and marry her. Does she now still need the list in order to please me or does she now do it because she loves me? Do I still require her to be under the bondage of the rules in order to please me? Of course not. She is free from that bondage because I love her and she loves me.
Does what? How will she know what you want,if you don't tell her? BTW,this analogy does not do justice to the topic of the life of a believer.Because believers were Law breakers;breaking one of God's commandments.And while we were in this state,God saved us,while we were still his enemies.So the house keeper falls short.Are believers to repent of sin? Yes or no? Because repentance is the fruit of true faith in Christ Alone,correct?
Again do you really need a law as a rule to motivate you to follow Him as Lord? If He is your Savior He is your Lord. You must use a whip, the law, to drive goats but sheep follow their Shepherd and a whip scatters them. The third use of the law has one of two results: it robs the believer of any peace because he is always aware of his failures or it makes men so self-righteous that no one can stand them. What have you ever done that wasn't mixed with sin? Can the law keep you from sin any better than love for Christ can?
What is the Law?
We are a new creation, not a reformation of the old one. We now have the mind of Christ and no longer live as we did because we are no longer ruled by our sinful nature. The old man, the flesh, rears its ugly head constantly as long as we are in this body of death to be sure but it no longer rules the true believer. I am convinced that the Lord leaves us in this body of death in order to wean us from our sin.
So what consists in the new nature,SIN?
We used to cure dogs from killing our chickens by tying the dead chicken around its neck until it rotted off. I assure you that after carrying that stinking rotten carcass around it never again killed chickens. Is that what our Lord does with us? We carry that stinking carcass of our old flesh around and its stink is in our nostrils continually. That stink keeps us aware of our sin and drives us away from it. So how does the law make you a better disciple than love for your Savior does?
None whatsoever. We are free from the law and are never to go back under its bondage. Does the law make you more holy? Does the law make you righteous or is your righteousness and holiness that which is Christ's? Does God bless you because of your righteousness or because of Christ's? Are you still seeking to earn something from God by the law or do you truly rest in the finished work of Christ alone? The so-called third use of the law satisfies the natural man's desire to do something to please God. We may no longer use the law to earn salvation but we do use it to earn the favor of God without ever considering that is what we are doing. We expect God to look on us with a little better favor when we do what the law requires, or what we have determined what the law requires. By doing so we not only destroy the righteousness of the law with our lowered standards but we implicitly deny that Christ is enough for God and enough for us. We are not really resting in Christ.
Please expound on the believer's sanctification?
Resting in Christ to to quit working for any reason. It means that we no longer need to do anything because He is enough and all that God will accept. When we truly rest in Christ alone we are finally free to work not out of obligation or to merit something from God but because we want to please Him who loved us and gave Himself for us. We don't do anything because we are commanded to but because we desire to out of love. We aren't obligated to do anything anymore but we obey Him and follow Him because we love Him. We don't need a rule to drive us we are free to follow Him.
Sin has no excuse. Yet because of His love for me I am more aware of my sin today than I was 30 or more years ago. I find myself to be more of a sinner every day. The stench of this rotten corpse that I live in grows in my nostrils as a sickening and putrid smell the longer I live in it. Yet I still go back into the darkness far too often and if it weren't for the grace of God keeping me I would run headlong back into that stinking death called sin. As much as I hate that stink it seems to draw me way too much. I find myself to be like a buzzard circling a dead corpse drawn by the stink. I long for the days when like an eagle I can soar above all that rottenness and putrid smell. The law has no hold of any kind on the believer. Rom. 10:4 says that Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believes. That word end has all of its connotations in mind. He is the end of the law as in its purpose, the end of the law as in its fulfillment, the end of the law as in its object and the end of the law as in its termination. He is the end of the law in every sense of the word and for every reason. He is the end of the Law for righteousness of any kind, both justifying and sanctifying righteousness. We are no more sanctified by the law than we are justified by the law. We are not under law but under grace.
So should we continue to sin,that Grace a abound? Yes or no?
I know this has been rather a long response but I hope it has been helpful to you. I am your servant in Christ, twin.
I have been studying the Word for a long while.And I praise God for sharing the Pure Gospel of Paul with me.I understand the Doctrines of Justification in Christ Alone through Faith Alone! But we also have Sanctification that is distinct from Justification;and cannot precede Justification,but we cannot separate it neither.So I am asking to expound on the Doctrine of sanctification,now.Because as new creations we can no longer walk in the old ways,correct?

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Great!

Again do you really need a law as a rule to motivate you to follow Him as Lord? If He is your Savior He is your Lord. You must use a whip, the law, to drive goats but sheep follow their Shepherd and a whip scatters them. The third use of the law has one of two results: it robs the believer of any peace because he is always aware of his failures or it makes men so self-righteous that no one can stand them. What have you ever done that wasn't mixed with sin? Can the law keep you from sin any better than love for Christ can?

We used to cure dogs from killing our chickens by tying the dead chicken around its neck until it rotted off. I assure you that after carrying that stinking rotten carcass around it never again killed chickens. Is that what our Lord does with us? We carry that stinking carcass of our old flesh around and its stink is in our nostrils continually. That stink keeps us aware of our sin and drives us away from it. So how does the law make you a better disciple than love for your Savior does?
None whatsoever. We are free from the law and are never to go back under its bondage. Does the law make you more holy? Does the law make you righteous or is your righteousness and holiness that which is Christ's? Does God bless you because of your righteousness or because of Christ's? Are you still seeking to earn something from God by the law or do you truly rest in the finished work of Christ alone? The so-called third use of the law satisfies the natural man's desire to do something to please God. We may no longer use the law to earn salvation but we do use it to earn the favor of God without ever considering that is what we are doing. We expect God to look on us with a little better favor when we do what the law requires, or what we have determined what the law requires. By doing so we not only destroy the righteousness of the law with our lowered standards but we implicitly deny that Christ is enough for God and enough for us. We are not really resting in Christ.

Sin has no excuse. Yet because of His love for me I am more aware of my sin today than I was 30 or more years ago. I find myself to be more of a sinner every day. The stench of this rotten corpse that I live in grows in my nostrils as a sickening and putrid smell the longer I live in it. Yet I still go back into the darkness far too often and if it weren't for the grace of God keeping me I would run headlong back into that stinking death called sin. As much as I hate that stink it seems to draw me way too much. I find myself to be like a buzzard circling a dead corpse drawn by the stink. I long for the days when like an eagle I can soar above all that rottenness and putrid smell. The law has no hold of any kind on the believer. Rom. 10:4 says that Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believes. That word end has all of its connotations in mind. He is the end of the law as in its purpose, the end of the law as in its fulfillment, the end of the law as in its object and the end of the law as in its termination. He is the end of the law in every sense of the word and for every reason. He is the end of the Law for righteousness of any kind, both justifying and sanctifying righteousness. We are no more sanctified by the law than we are justified by the law. We are not under law but under grace.

This is from the Westminster Confession of Faith:Repentance unto Life

Of Repentance unto Life
I. Repentance unto life is an evangelical grace,[1] the doctrine whereof is to be preached by every minister of the Gospel, as well as that of faith in Christ.[2]

II. By it, a sinner, out of the sight and sense not only of the danger, but also of the filthiness and odiousness of his sins, as contrary to the holy nature, and righteous law of God; and upon the apprehension of His mercy in Christ to such as are penitent, so grieves for, and hates his sins, as to turn from them all unto God,[3] purposing and endeavouring to walk with Him in all the ways of His commandments.[4]

III. Although repentance is not to be rested in, as any satisfaction for sin, or any cause of the pardon thereof,[5] which is the act of God's free grace in Christ,[6] yet it is of such necessity to all sinners, that none may expect pardon without it.[7]

IV. As there is no sin so small, but it deserves damnation;[8] so there is no sin so great, that it can bring damnation upon those who truly repent.[9]

V. Men ought not to content themselves with a general repentance, but it is every man's duty to endeavor to repent of his particular sins, particularly.[10]

VI. As every man is bound to make private confession of his sins to God, praying for the pardon thereof;[11] upon which, and the forsaking of them, he shall find mercy;[12] so he that scandelizeth his brother, or the Church of Christ, ought to be willing, by a private or public confession and sorrow for his sin, to declare his repentance to those that are offended;[13] who are thereupon to be reconciled to him, and in love to receive him.[14]

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My understanding is that the third use of the law takes the law not as binding, but looks at it as showing us how God intends love to function.
Yes you are right.The third use of Law is a guide for Christians to know their Father's will and what is pleasing to him,and walk thereof,not to gain any favor toward his/her Justification,but walk this way because they are now children of God,and children of light not darkness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Please answer not my question,but Paul's.Should we continue to sin? Yes or No?
Paul is making a point that believers do not continue in sin. But the question isn't that sin is defined by the law but by faith. Rom. 14:23 tells us very clearly the what is not of faith is sin. Certainly sin is transgression of the law according to John but we know that those who are born of God cannot sin. (John 3:9) Do true believers actually sin? Of course they do in their flesh. The flesh lusteth against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh. (Gal. 5:17) So I again ask you when you have not sinned. When has anything you have done been perfect according to not only the letter of the law but the spirit of the law? Paul describes himself in Rom. 7 as one who delights in the law but cannot find how to keep it. This from a Pharisee who was blameless according to the letter of the law. (Phil. 3:5,6) The law killed him and caused him to know sin as it really is.
Does what? How will she know what you want,if you don't tell her?
She knows because she loves me. She seeks to please me in all things though she may fail often. She has a limited understanding of my needs and my desires to be sure. But the rules I gave her in no way again put her under bondage to follow them. She is now free to do what she desires most of all, to please me. She doesn't do it because I gave her rules to follow but because her hearts desire is to please me. The law I gave her no longer binds her.
BTW,this analogy does not do justice to the topic of the life of a believer.Because believers were Law breakers;breaking one of God's commandments.And while we were in this state,God saved us,while we were still his enemies.So the house keeper falls short.
The housekeeper didn't follow the rules either. To her they were a bondage that she always rebelled against simply because they were rules. Her heart wasn't in it because she was obligated to follow that which she believed to be too strict. Her obedience , as a mere servant, was with rebellion in her heart. Now, though, she delights to do that which pleases me because she is no longer just a servant but my bride and free to do that which she desires to do.
Are believers to repent of sin? Yes or no?
The better question is do believers repent of sin? Of course they do. Actually they repent of much more than just breaking the law they repent of anything that they even consider displeasing their husband. Which, btw, is much more than the law covers.
Because repentance is the fruit of true faith in Christ Alone,correct?
It is ne natural response of one who is truly born of God. Repentance is much more than a decision to change our ways but a heart that knows the evil that we have done and a desire to no longer do it. ( Jer. 31:18-19) All believers hate their sin and desire to be rid of it forever. Repentance has nothing to do with the law but with the heart.
What is the Law?
Show me one place in the Scriptures that the law means just the ten commandments. When the Scriptures speak of the law it means all of it. The word law sometimes means the whole of the commandments given to Moses, sometimes it means just the ten written on stone by the finger of God and sometimes means the whole of the written word of God. Of course context determines the meaning. But when Paul speaks of the law He, as a Pharisee, means the whole of the law given to Moses. It includes all the civil, ceremonial, dietary, sacrificial and moral. Theologians divide the law but the Scriptures never do.
So what consists in the new nature,SIN?
The new nature is a new creation of God that cannot sin. (1John 3:9) We are not a reformation of the old man but a whole new creation that is born of God and is righteous. (Eph. 4:24) The old man called the flesh is still with us but it never needs to be taken to the hospital of religion to be cured, for it is already dead, but to the cross to be crucified. (Gal. 4:20) The new nature is Christ in us the hope of glory. (Col. 1:27)
Please expound on the believer's sanctification?
Sanctification is not a process that makes us more and more holy it is an act of God in the new birth that gives us a new nature which is righteous. We no more participate in our sanctification than we do our justification. (1Cor. 1:30-31) Our sanctification is Christ in us not us working to make ourselves better. The word sanctification has three meanings in the Scriptures: set apart as holy to God by God: declared holy by God; and actually made holy by God. We are set apart as holy to God by God in eternal electing love. We are declared holy by God in the same way that the vessels of the Tabernacle was in that God said that we are His alone. We are actually made holy in the same way that though the natural makeup of the vessels were the same they were changed into the vessels of God and purified by sacrifice. Never is sanctification said to be a co-operative effort of the believer and God. It is as much the work of God in and for the sinner as justification is. Sanctification is God's work in us not our progressive holiness by our own works.
So should we continue to sin,that Grace a abound? Yes or no?
Why would a true believer do such a thing? Does a true believer not seek to please his Lord? Does a true believer delight in sin? That is absolute nonsense. The life of faith is not walking in darkness but in the light of Christ. Walking in the light is walking in faith looking day to day to the complete work of Christ alone. We walk by faith not by sight. We do not look to ourselves to see how we are doing, for we are falling and failing daily, but to Christ and His finished work on our behalf which God is not only pleased with but accepts apart from what we do.

I have been studying the Word for a long while.And I praise God for sharing the Pure Gospel of Paul with me.I understand the Doctrines of Justification in Christ Alone through Faith Alone! But we also have Sanctification that is distinct from Justification;and cannot precede Justification,but we cannot separate it neither.So I am asking to expound on the Doctrine of sanctification,now.Because as new creations we can no longer walk in the old ways,correct?
You, unfortunately, have been influenced by the Reformed tradition of what sanctification is. Sadly the Reformed tradition used the law as a whip to drive the sheep into obedience. But, as much as the Reformed got right, they were wrong on this point. You simply cannot drive sheep. Sheep do what is natural to their nature and no coercion or law can drive them to obedience. They follow because they are naturally inclined to. It is their nature. When you try to drive them you only cause them to scatter and fear.

The natural man delights in his obedience and pats himself on the back for it. Paul makes this very clear.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Okay,I'll ask it another way.Since I am saved by Grace.I can continue to sin because as a believer I am not under the Law any more,so I can sin as much I want.I do not need to repent of my sins.Because I am under Grace.There is no Law for me any more because I am under Grace,and because I am under Grace,I can sin because I am not under the Law.So there is no need to do good works,because they don't save me anyway,so I can go on sinning so that Grace may abound!

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Okay,I'll ask it another way.Since I am saved by Grace.I can continue to sin because as a believer I am not under the Law any more,so I can sin as much I want.
You can but as a believer is that what you really want to do? As one who is saved by the free, unmerited favor of God in Christ is sin what you really want to do? Looking at the suffering of Christ because of your sin do you really long to continue in sin or do you long to be totally committed, totally consecrated and totally without sin? Is it the law that makes you desire to be without sin or is it love?
I do not need to repent of my sins.Because I am under Grace.There is no Law for me any more because I am under Grace,and because I am under Grace,I can sin because I am not under the Law.So there is no need to do good works,because they don't save me anyway,so I can go on sinning so that Grace may abound!
You can but will you? I ask which of your many sins did the Lord not purge with His precious blood? Did He not blot out all of your sin?

Now knowing that you no longer have any sin according to the righteous law are you really going to now live as though you once did without regard to the precious sacrifice of Christ on your behalf. Are you as a sheep not going to strive to follow the Shepherd? Do you need a law to make you do so?

Christ's sheep follow freely and without compulsion or desire for reward. We don't need the carrot of reward for obedience to the law to motivate us. Why do you think Paul asked the question of shall we continue in sin so that grace may abound? Was it not because we may be able to do so but a true believer will not? Can the law keep you from sinning better than love for Christ can? That same holy, pure and righteous law that demanded our death in Adam now demands our everlasting blessing in Christ. We stand in Christ holy and un-blamable. Look to Christ not to the law.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You can but as a believer is that what you really want to do? As one who is saved by the free, unmerited favor of God in Christ is sin what you really want to do? Looking at the suffering of Christ because of your sin do you really long to continue in sin or do you long to be totally committed, totally consecrated and totally without sin? Is it the law that makes you desire to be without sin or is it love? You can but will you? I ask which of your many sins did the Lord not purge with His precious blood? Did He not blot out all of your sin?

Now knowing that you no longer have any sin according to the righteous law are you really going to now live as though you once did without regard to the precious sacrifice of Christ on your behalf. Are you as a sheep not going to strive to follow the Shepherd? Do you need a law to make you do so?

Christ's sheep follow freely and without compulsion or desire for reward. We don't need the carrot of reward for obedience to the law to motivate us. Why do you think Paul asked the question of shall we continue in sin so that grace may abound? Was it not because we may be able to do so but a true believer will not? Can the law keep you from sinning better than love for Christ can? That same holy, pure and righteous law that demanded our death in Adam now demands our everlasting blessing in Christ. We stand in Christ holy and un-blamable. Look to Christ not to the law.
You keep assuming that I am saying that the ground of our Justification is found in our works.But where do I say or even imply this notion? I am not speaking of Justification,but sanctification.Can you speak to this or not? Because the question I keep asking you from Paul himself.Is, should we continue to sin because we are under Grace? Christ said I came not to abolish the Law,but to fulfill the Law.Paul says we should uphold the Law.So what is the Law? Christ gave us two commandments that sum up all commandments with Love.Here is the Westminster Confession of Faith on good works:

Of Good Works
I. Good works are only such as God has commanded in His holy Word,[1] and not such as, without the warrant thereof, are devised by men, out of blind zeal, or upon any pretence of good intention.[2]

II. These good works, done in obedience to God's commandments, are the fruits and evidences of a true and lively faith:[3] and by them believers manifest their thankfulness,[4] strengthen their assurance,[5] edify their brethren,[6] adorn the profession of the Gospel,[7] stop the mouths of the adversaries,[8] and glorify God,[9] whose workmanship they are, created in Christ Jesus thereunto,[10] that, having their fruit unto holiness, they may have the end, eternal life.[11]

III. Their ability to do good works is not at all of themselves, but wholly from the Spirit of Christ.[12] And that they may be enabled thereunto, beside the graces they have already received, there is required an actual influence of the same Holy Spirit, to work in them to will, and to do, of His good pleasure:[13] yet are they not hereupon to grow negligent, as if they were not bound to perform any duty unless upon a special motion of the Spirit; but they ought to be diligent in stirring up the grace of God that is in them.[14]

IV. They who, in their obedience, attain to the greatest height which is possibly in this life, are so far from being able to supererogate, and to do more than God requires, as that they fall short of much which in duty they are bound to do.[15]

V. We cannot by our best works merit pardon of sin, or eternal life at the hand of God, by reason of the great disproportion that is between them and the glory to come; and the infinite distance that is between us and God, whom, by them, we can neither profit, nor satisfy for the debt of our former sins,[16] but when we have done all we can, we have done but our duty, and are unprofitable servants:[17] and because, as they are good, they proceed from His Spirit,[18] and as they are wrought by us, they are defiled, and mixed with so much weakness and imperfection, that they cannot endure the severity of God's judgment.[19]

VI. Notwithstanding, the persons of believers being accepted through Christ, their good works also are accepted in Him;[20] not as though they were in this life wholly unblamable and unreproveable in God's sight;[21] but that He, looking upon them in His Son, is pleased to accept and reward that which is sincere, although accompanied with many weaknesses and imperfections.[22]

VII. Works done by unregenerate men, although for the matter of them they may be things which God commands; and of good use both to themselves and others:[23] yet, because they proceed not from an heart purified by faith;[24] nor are done in a right manner, according to the Word;[25] nor to a right end, the glory of God,[26] they are therefore sinful and cannot please God, or make a man meet to receive grace from God:[27] and yet, their neglect of them is more sinful and displeasing unto God.[28]

Do hold to the Westminster Confession of Faith?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You keep assuming that I am saying that the ground of our Justification is found in our works.But where do I say or even imply this notion? I am not speaking of Justification,but sanctification.Can you speak to this or not? Because the question I keep asking you from Paul himself.Is, should we continue to sin because we are under Grace? Christ said I came not to abolish the Law,but to fulfill the Law.Paul says we should uphold the Law.So what is the Law? Christ gave us two commandments that sum up all commandments with Love.Here is the Westminster Confession of Faith on good works:

Of Good Works
I. Good works are only such as God has commanded in His holy Word,[1] and not such as, without the warrant thereof, are devised by men, out of blind zeal, or upon any pretence of good intention.[2]

II. These good works, done in obedience to God's commandments, are the fruits and evidences of a true and lively faith:[3] and by them believers manifest their thankfulness,[4] strengthen their assurance,[5] edify their brethren,[6] adorn the profession of the Gospel,[7] stop the mouths of the adversaries,[8] and glorify God,[9] whose workmanship they are, created in Christ Jesus thereunto,[10] that, having their fruit unto holiness, they may have the end, eternal life.[11]

III. Their ability to do good works is not at all of themselves, but wholly from the Spirit of Christ.[12] And that they may be enabled thereunto, beside the graces they have already received, there is required an actual influence of the same Holy Spirit, to work in them to will, and to do, of His good pleasure:[13] yet are they not hereupon to grow negligent, as if they were not bound to perform any duty unless upon a special motion of the Spirit; but they ought to be diligent in stirring up the grace of God that is in them.[14]

IV. They who, in their obedience, attain to the greatest height which is possibly in this life, are so far from being able to supererogate, and to do more than God requires, as that they fall short of much which in duty they are bound to do.[15]

V. We cannot by our best works merit pardon of sin, or eternal life at the hand of God, by reason of the great disproportion that is between them and the glory to come; and the infinite distance that is between us and God, whom, by them, we can neither profit, nor satisfy for the debt of our former sins,[16] but when we have done all we can, we have done but our duty, and are unprofitable servants:[17] and because, as they are good, they proceed from His Spirit,[18] and as they are wrought by us, they are defiled, and mixed with so much weakness and imperfection, that they cannot endure the severity of God's judgment.[19]

VI. Notwithstanding, the persons of believers being accepted through Christ, their good works also are accepted in Him;[20] not as though they were in this life wholly unblamable and unreproveable in God's sight;[21] but that He, looking upon them in His Son, is pleased to accept and reward that which is sincere, although accompanied with many weaknesses and imperfections.[22]

VII. Works done by unregenerate men, although for the matter of them they may be things which God commands; and of good use both to themselves and others:[23] yet, because they proceed not from an heart purified by faith;[24] nor are done in a right manner, according to the Word;[25] nor to a right end, the glory of God,[26] they are therefore sinful and cannot please God, or make a man meet to receive grace from God:[27] and yet, their neglect of them is more sinful and displeasing unto God.[28]

Do hold to the Westminster Confession of Faith?
I am assuming nothing and know that you are talking about sanctification. So am I. I in no way think that you believe we are justified by the law but because of the Reformed influence you do believe we are sanctified by it. The Reformed tradition is that sanctification is a progressive co-operation with God that eventually makes us holy and ripe for Heaven. It is nonsense. Sanctification is just as much an act of God alone as is justification. Consider the meanings of the word translated sanctify or sanctification: Its primary meaning is set apart for God as His. We were set apart by sovereign electing love in Christ Jesus as His own before the foundation of the world. The second meaning is to be declared holy and fit for God's use as in the vessels of the Tabernacle. They didn't change their nature of elemental structure they were simply declared as holy to God. The third meaning is to actually make holy by God. That is what happens when we are born again a new creation. We are not the old man reformed by the law but a whole new creation that is holy and righteous living in this body of death battling daily for supremacy against our old nature. You cannot take the old man to the hospital of the law to be healed you must take him to the cross to be crucified with Christ.

And no I do not hold to the LBC or the WCF because of their stances on the law and sanctification.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I am assuming nothing and know that you are talking about sanctification. So am I. I in no way think that you believe we are justified by the law but because of the Reformed influence you do believe we are sanctified by it. The Reformed tradition is that sanctification is a progressive co-operation with God that eventually makes us holy and ripe for Heaven. It is nonsense. Sanctification is just as much an act of God alone as is justification. Consider the meanings of the word translated sanctify or sanctification: Its primary meaning is set apart for God as His. We were set apart by sovereign electing love in Christ Jesus as His own before the foundation of the world. The second meaning is to be declared holy and fit for God's use as in the vessels of the Tabernacle. They didn't change their nature of elemental structure they were simply declared as holy to God. The third meaning is to actually make holy by God. That is what happens when we are born again a new creation. We are not the old man reformed by the law but a whole new creation that is holy and righteous living in this body of death battling daily for supremacy against our old nature. You cannot take the old man to the hospital of the law to be healed you must take him to the cross to be crucified with Christ.

And no I do not hold to the LBC or the WCF because of their stances on the law and sanctification.
This is a slightly misleading description of the Reformed concept. What makes us “ripe for heaven” is God’s choice of us as his children. However God doesn’t just leave us in our sins.

In Calvin’s model of salvation, which is common among Reformed, salvation is based on God’s choice to regenerate us, and our response in faith. This shows in two ways. One is justification. This is a stable foundation for our lives as Christians, depending solely upon God’s choice. The other is sanctification, which is the meat of our Christian lives, as the new life in Christ works itself out in our lives. I don’t think this differs much from your three different meanings of sanctification. However a lot of Reformed writers use the term sanctification specifically for your third meaning.

If you check a concordance you’ll see the in the NT sanctification isn’t actually used in quite the way Reformed tradition uses it, but I don’t think the name we call it is that big a deal.

Are we sanctified by Law? To the extent that Law guides us in the new life in Christ. After all, Jesus and Paul both made specific demands of people who follow Jesus. In a broad sense, God’s standards for behavior can be called Law. Not the whole mass of OT regulations. Many of those are specific to the situation of Israel. And Jesus looked behind the regulations to their purpose, specifically in Mat 5. When Lutherans and Reformed speak of the third use of the Law, they mean more God’s demands on us in general that a list of rules.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is a slightly misleading description of the Reformed concept. What makes us “ripe for heaven” is God’s choice of us as his children. However God doesn’t just leave us in our sins.

In Calvin’s model of salvation, which is common among Reformed, salvation is based on God’s choice to regenerate us, and our response in faith. This shows in two ways. One is justification. This is a stable foundation for our lives as Christians, depending solely upon God’s choice. The other is sanctification, which is the meat of our Christian lives, as the new life in Christ works itself out in our lives. I don’t think this differs much from your three different meanings of sanctification. However a lot of Reformed writers use the term sanctification specifically for your third meaning.

If you check a concordance you’ll see the in the NT sanctification isn’t actually used in quite the way Reformed tradition uses it, but I don’t think the name we call it is that big a deal.

Are we sanctified by Law? To the extent that Law guides us in the new life in Christ. After all, Jesus and Paul both made specific demands of people who follow Jesus. In a broad sense, God’s standards for behavior can be called Law. Not the whole mass of OT regulations. Many of those are specific to the situation of Israel. And Jesus looked behind the regulations to their purpose, specifically in Mat 5. When Lutherans and Reformed speak of the third use of the Law, they mean more God’s demands on us in general that a list of rules.
Both the LBC and the WCF state very clearly that the moral law is a rule of life for the believer. That is against the Scriptures for we are not under the law as a rule in any sense.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Let me try again.

With no specific guidelines, what we have is “situation ethics.” In this system there are no rules. One behaves in any situation in the most loving fashion. This approach has generally been rejected, even in liberal churches. Why?

* because we can be misled by our emotions into doing things that aren’t good in the long run
* because it’s good to have a moral environment in which we and others behave in a reasonably predictable way
* because one important moral choice is to make commitments. Once there is a commitment (or a covenant), you can’t just make decisions in the moment in isolation.

For all of these reasons, most of us think that it’s important to look at common issues in advance and come up with specific principles and guidelines. Many of these look like rules, though often they are rules with exceptions.

I contend that “Law” can be used to cover this. Obviously when Paul rejects the Law he’s looking at the whole system of rules that the rabbis developed out of the OT. These had a number of problems, including (for some interpreters at a least) a very literalistic approach, and also the fact that many saw your status as a member of God’s people to be defined by keeping these rules.

Clearly Christians do not want to take Law in that sense. But in the broad sense of moral principles and guidelines, I think we have to have Law if we want to avoid situation ethics. I believe it’s this broader sense of moral principles that Reformed have meant by the moral law. Even in Jewish terminology, Law / Torah could have a broader meaning.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am assuming nothing and know that you are talking about sanctification. So am I. I in no way think that you believe we are justified by the law but because of the Reformed influence you do believe we are sanctified by it.
We are sanctified in Christ and are being sanctified by the Spirit.You seem to imply that there is no human responsibility whatsoever.And this is where I differ.We do not sit idly by and do nothing.We are to be holy and practice righteousness because Christ has freed us from the power and death of sin.I would like for you to please explain Romans 6:

Dead to Sin, Alive to God

1What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? 2By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? 3Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

5For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6We know that our old selfa was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. 7For one who has died has been set freeb from sin.8Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. 10For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. 11So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

12Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions. 13Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness. 14For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

Slaves to Righteousness

15What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves,c you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, 18and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness. 19I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.

20For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21But what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. 22But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. 23For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The Reformed tradition is that sanctification is a progressive co-operation with God that eventually makes us holy and ripe for Heaven. It is nonsense.
Again I beg to differ.Read this and please explain it for me.

Living as Those Made Alive in Christ

1Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is youra life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

5Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.b 7You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

12Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Instructions for Christian Households

18Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

19Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.

20Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

21Fathers,c do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.

22Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism.

Sanctification is just as much an act of God alone as is justification. Consider the meanings of the word translated sanctify or sanctification: Its primary meaning is set apart for God as His. We were set apart by sovereign electing love in Christ Jesus as His own before the foundation of the world. The second meaning is to be declared holy and fit for God's use as in the vessels of the Tabernacle. They didn't change their nature of elemental structure they were simply declared as holy to God. The third meaning is to actually make holy by God. That is what happens when we are born again a new creation. We are not the old man reformed by the law but a whole new creation that is holy and righteous living in this body of death battling daily for supremacy against our old nature. You cannot take the old man to the hospital of the law to be healed you must take him to the cross to be crucified with Christ.

Why do you keep insisting that I am saying the Law reforms the old man? Or that the old man can be taken to the hospital? But you mention here a daily battling.Battling what? Why a battling? All I am saying as in Romans 6,"What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? 2By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? 3Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.This is being freed from sin,because we are not under the Law but under Grace.And now being under Grace we serve Christ and give him thanksgiving for freeing us from sin and death.So now being God's children we know and trust God and his promises that he will finish what he started.

Last edited:
Upvote 0