MO.
✟249,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The law is neither the ground of life to the sinner (it being “taken away” - Heb 10:9—NC), nor the rule of life to the Christian (was intended only for Israel—NC): the Lord Jesus is both the one and the other—He is our life (Col 3:4), and He is our rule of life! The law can only curse and slay. The Lord Jesus is our life and righteousness. He went down into the place where the sinner lay—into the place of death and judgment; and having, by His death, entirely discharged all that was or could be against us, He became, in resurrection, the source of life and the ground of righteousness to all who believe in His name.

Having thus life and righteousness in Him, we are called to walk not merely as the law directs, but to “walk as He walked” (1Jo 2:6). It will hardly be deemed needful to assert that it is directly contrary to Christian nature and ethics to kill, commit adultery or steal. But were a Christian to shape his way according to these commands, or according to the entire Decalogue, would he yield the rare and delicate fruits which the Epistle of Ephesians sets forth?

Would the Ten Commandments ever cause a thief to give up stealing, and go to work that he might have to give? Would they ever transform a robber into a laborious and liberal man? Assuredly not. The law says, “Thou shalt not steal”: but does it say, Go and give to him that needs—Go, feed, clothe and bless your enemy—God, gladden by your benevolent feelings and your beneficent acts the heart of him who only and always seeks your harm? By no means; and yet, were I under the law as a rule, it could only curse and slay me (because the purpose of the law was to solely convict of guilt, not receive forgiveness, which came only from the priestly sacrifices—NC).

How is this, when the standard in the New Testament is so much higher? Because I am weak, and the law gives me no strength and shows me no mercy. The law demands strength from one that has none (in sin but forgiven—NC), and curses him if he cannot display it (requires being sinless, like Christ, but man is only guiltless, not sinless—NC). The Gospel gives strength to one that has none (guiltlessness in Christ—NC), and blesses him in the exhibition of it. The law proposes life as the end of obedience (if it could be perfectly obeyed, but it can’t be—NC); the Gospel gives life as the only proper ground of obedience.

If the law be indeed the rule of a believer’s life, where are we to find it presented in the New Testament? Paul evidently had no thought of it being the rule when he penned the following words: “For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything nor uncircumcision, but a new creation.” “As many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy” (Gal 6:15, 16). What “rule”? The law? No; but the “new creation.” The law speaks not a word about “new creation.”

Why does not Paul say, As many as walk according to the Ten Commandments? Is it not evident that the believer has a higher rule by which to walk? Unquestionably? The Ten Commandments , though forming, as a true Christian admits, a part of the canon of inspiration, could never be the rule of new life to one who has, through infinite grace, been recreated into the new creation—one who has received new life in the Lord Jesus Christ. “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death” (Ro 8:2 – Israel is guilty concerning the law of sin, and also concerning the law – the Gentiles are guilty only of the law of sin – which states that “the soul that sins, it shall die” - Eze 18:4, 20—NC).

—C H Mackintosh (1820-1896)

MJS devotional excerpt for Dec 1

“When the Lord Jesus has once died and risen, He is through with sin forever. He is now living in the eternal light of His Father’s face. He is our Adam, our life. We died in Him. We were raised in Him. Through our death with Him at Calvary we have escaped forever from the old Adam life. Our feelings have nothing to do with it. It was all accomplished at the Cross.

“We dare not deny God’s Word. He says we died with Christ. We can cry triumphantly, when we know: ‘I died unto sin with the Lord Jesus on the Cross, two thousand years ago! I reckon myself what the Father says I am in His Son—dead unto sin and alive unto God. Sin has no claim on me in the Lord Jesus, and cannot have dominion over me, as I yield myself to my Father in this wonderful new revelation of yielding myself to God, as one who is alive from the dead’ (Rom. 6:13). Thus will we begin to find how true and how tremendous is the deliverance that is in the Lord Jesus for us. And thus alone will we really honor the grace of God.” –William R Newell (1868-1956)

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The law is neither the ground of life to the sinner (it being “taken away” - Heb 10:9—NC), nor the rule of life to the Christian (was intended only for Israel—NC): the Lord Jesus is both the one and the other—He is our life (Col 3:4), and He is our rule of life! The law can only curse and slay. The Lord Jesus is our life and righteousness. He went down into the place where the sinner lay—into the place of death and judgment; and having, by His death, entirely discharged all that was or could be against us, He became, in resurrection, the source of life and the ground of righteousness to all who believe in His name.

Deuteronomy 32:46-47 he said to them, “Take to heart all the words by which I am warning you today, that you may command them to your children, that they may be careful to do all the words of this law. 47 For it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess.”

In Deuteronomy 30:15-20, obedience to God's law brings life and a blessing while disobedience brings death and a curse, so choose life! So the law was not given only to curse, but rather the curse is only for those who refuse to submit to it, which is why you are advocating. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him His way that he might know Him, and in John 17:3, knowing God and Jesus is eternal life, which Jesus also confirmed in Matthew 19:17 by saying that the way to enter eternal life is by obeying God's commandments, and in Luke 10:25-28 that obedience to the greatest two commandments is the way to inherit eternal life. God's law is God's word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, so it is contradictory to say that he is our life and our rule for life instead of God's word. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20) and that he is the source of life and the ground of righteousness to all who believe in his name.

Having thus life and righteousness in Him, we are called to walk not merely as the law directs, but to “walk as He walked” (1Jo 2:6). It will hardly be deemed needful to assert that it is directly contrary to Christian nature and ethics to kill, commit adultery or steal. But were a Christian to shape his way according to these commands, or according to the entire Decalogue, would he yield the rare and delicate fruits which the Epistle of Ephesians sets forth?[

Jesus set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to God's law, so following his example is the way to walk in the same way he walked, which is also the way the yield the fruits of the Spirit, especially because the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey it (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

Would the Ten Commandments ever cause a thief to give up stealing, and go to work that he might have to give? Would they ever transform a robber into a laborious and liberal man? Assuredly not. The law says, “Thou shalt not steal”: but does it say, Go and give to him that needs—Go, feed, clothe and bless your enemy—God, gladden by your benevolent feelings and your beneficent acts the heart of him who only and always seeks your harm? By no means; and yet, were I under the law as a rule, it could only curse and slay me (because the purpose of the law was to solely convict of guilt, not receive forgiveness, which came only from the priestly sacrifices—NC).

God's law transforms us through the power of the Spirit, though even if what you said were correct, then obedience to God's law is what that transformation looks like. Nowhere does the Bible say that the law can only curse and slay us and that its purpose is solely to convict of guilt, but just the opposite.

How is this, when the standard in the New Testament is so much higher? Because I am weak, and the law gives me no strength and shows me no mercy. The law demands strength from one that has none (in sin but forgiven—NC), and curses him if he cannot display it (requires being sinless, like Christ, but man is only guiltless, not sinless—NC). The Gospel gives strength to one that has none (guiltlessness in Christ—NC), and blesses him in the exhibition of it. The law proposes life as the end of obedience (if it could be perfectly obeyed, but it can’t be—NC); the Gospel gives life as the only proper ground of obedience.

In Matthew 4:17-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, and God's law was how his audience knew what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to it is an integral part of the Gospel message. In Acts 2:38, when Peter told his audience to repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sin, God's law was again how they knew what sin is. In Romans 15:18-19, Paul's Gospel message involved bringing Gentiles to obedience in word and in deed. Furthermore, Romans 10:16, 2 Thessalonians 1:8, and 1 Peter 4:17 all speak against those who do not obey the Gospel. If we needed to have perfect obedience for some strange reason, then there would be no point in repentance because it wouldn't changed the fact that we have already fallen short of perfect obedience, so the fact that repentance has value in accordance with the Gospel message demonstrates that we do not need to have perfect obedience. Furthermore, the consistent message of the prophets was the call for repentance, not for perfect obedience.

If the law be indeed the rule of a believer’s life, where are we to find it presented in the New Testament? Paul evidently had no thought of it being the rule when he penned the following words: “For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything nor uncircumcision, but a new creation.” “As many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy” (Gal 6:15, 16). What “rule”? The law? No; but the “new creation.” The law speaks not a word about “new creation.”

Why does not Paul say, As many as walk according to the Ten Commandments? Is it not evident that the believer has a higher rule by which to walk? Unquestionably? The Ten Commandments , though forming, as a true Christian admits, a part of the canon of inspiration, could never be the rule of new life to one who has, through infinite grace, been recreated into the new creation—one who has received new life in the Lord Jesus Christ. “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death” (Ro 8:2 – Israel is guilty concerning the law of sin, and also concerning the law – the Gentiles are guilty only of the law of sin – which states that “the soul that sins, it shall die” - Eze 18:4, 20—NC).

—C H Mackintosh (1820-1896)
In Ephesians 2:10, we are new creations in Christ in order to do good works, and God's law is profitable for equipping us to do every good work (2 Timothy 3:15-17). Being a new creation in Christ is about being made to be like him, and he lived in obedience to God's law. In Romans 7:25-8:2, Paul contrasted the Law of God with the law of sin and contrasted the Law of the Spirit of Life with the law of sin and death, so he equated the Law of God with the Law of the Spirit of Life. In Romans 7, Paul did not describe the law of sin as saying that the souls that sins shall die, but rather he described it as a law that was working within his members to cause him not to do the good of obeying the Law of God that he wanted to do.
MJS devotional excerpt for Dec 1

“When the Lord Jesus has once died and risen, He is through with sin forever. He is now living in the eternal light of His Father’s face. He is our Adam, our life. We died in Him. We were raised in Him. Through our death with Him at Calvary we have escaped forever from the old Adam life. Our feelings have nothing to do with it. It was all accomplished at the Cross.

“We dare not deny God’s Word. He says we died with Christ. We can cry triumphantly, when we know: ‘I died unto sin with the Lord Jesus on the Cross, two thousand years ago! I reckon myself what the Father says I am in His Son—dead unto sin and alive unto God. Sin has no claim on me in the Lord Jesus, and cannot have dominion over me, as I yield myself to my Father in this wonderful new revelation of yielding myself to God, as one who is alive from the dead’ (Rom. 6:13). Thus will we begin to find how true and how tremendous is the deliverance that is in the Lord Jesus for us. And thus alone will we really honor the grace of God.” –William R Newell (1868-1956)

The concept of sonship is someone who is in the same image as their father, or in other words, someone who has the same character or nature expressed through doing the same works, which is why Jesus said in John 8:39 that if they were sons of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him. In Hebrews 1:3, the Son is the exact image of God's nature, which he expressed through setting a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to God's law, so that is the sense that he is the Son of God and the sense that we are sons of God when we are partaking in his nature through following his example. This is why those who are born of the Spirit as children of God are contrasted with those who have minds set on the flesh who refuse to submit to God's law (Romans 8:4), and why those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to God's law are not children of God (1 John 3:4-10). In Psalms 119:29, David wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey God's law, but the author wants to really honor the grace of God instead of obeying God's law.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Law, the 10 commandments tells us what sin is, we are not being judged by our keeping of the law, but we show our love for Jesus by our obedience to his commands.

Jesus came to fulfill the law not to abolish it. the Law convicts those who break it of sin, whether they are Christian or not.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy 32:46-47 he said to them, “Take to heart all the words by which I am warning you today, that you may command them to your children, that they may be careful to do all the words of this law. 47 For it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess.”
Obedience to the Law of Moses, esp. the Decalogue is not the same as obedience to the Spirit; and the Law was "taken away" so God could establish the New Covenant (Heb 10:9; also 7:18, 19; 8:7, 8; 2Co 3:11; Eph 2:15; Col 2:14; Gal 3:24, 25).

It's the expiation Christ made for our sin that we are forgiven; obedience to the Spirit does not obtain forgiveness but shows we have been forgiven.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: atpollard
Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Law, the 10 commandments tells us what sin is, we are not being judged by our keeping of the law, but we show our love for Jesus by our obedience to his commands.

Jesus came to fulfill the law not to abolish it. the Law convicts those who break it of sin, whether they are Christian or not.
Only Jesus could fulfill the Law of Moses, and when He finally fulfilled it He said "It is finished." He fulfilled it so there could be a new covenant.

The only way the children of Israel could be forgiven was not by obedience, but by faith in the priestly sin sacrifices
(Num 15:24-31).

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Are we no longer to love God and our neighbor?
I don't understand you here; but we are not to love our neighbor as you love yourself, but love your neighbor as the Lord loves (Jhn 15:17). It's Himself in us that loves others thorough us!

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Obedience to the Law of Moses, esp. the Decalogue is not the same as obedience to the Spirit; and the Law was "taken away" so God could establish the New Covenant (Heb 10:9; also 7:18, 19; 8:7, 8; 2Co 3:11; Eph 2:15; Col 2:14; Gal 3:24, 25).

It's the expiation Christ made for our sin that we are forgiven; obedience to the Spirit does not obtain forgiveness but shows we have been forgiven.

The Spirit has the role of leading us to obey the Law of Moses (Ezekiel 36:26-27), so how can obedience to the Spirit be something different than obedience to it? In Acts 5:32, the Spirit has been given to those who obey God. In Romans 8:4-7, those who walk in the Spirit are contrasted with those who have minds set on the flesh who refuse to obey the Law of Moses. In Galatians 5:19-22, everything listed as works of the flesh that are against the Spirit are also against the Mosaic Law while all of the fruits of the Spirit are in accordance with it. In Romans 2:25, the way to recognize that a Gentile has a circumcised heart is by observing their obedience to the Law of Moses, which is the same way to tell for a Jew (Deuteronomy 30:6), and circumcision of the heart is a matter of the Spirit, which is in contrast with Acts 7:51-53, where those who have uncircumcised hearts resist the Spirit and do not obey the Law of Moses.

In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and the Law of Moses was how his audience knew what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to it is an integral part of the Gospel message. Furthermore, Jesus set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to the Law of Moses, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6). So Jesus spent his ministry teaching his followers how to obey the Law of Moses and he did not establish the New Covenant for the purpose of undermining or taking away anything that he spent his ministry teaching, but rather the New Covenant still involves following the Law of Moses (Jeremiah 31:33).

It should not make sense to you to interpret servants of God as speaking against obeying His word. You should be quicker to think that you must have misunderstood the verses that you've cited than to think that it makes perfect sense to interpret God's word as speaking against obeying God's word, especially when Jesus specifically said that he came not to abolish the law (Matthew 5:17-19), Paul confirmed that our faith does not abolish the law, but rather our faith upholds it (Romans 3:31), and all of God's righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:160). Jesus is God's word made flesh, so he could not abolish God's word without also abolishing himself.

To give an example, every time that the Greek word "dogma" is used by the Bible outside of Ephesians 2:15 and Colossians 2:14, it refers to something other than the Law of Moses, so you no good justification for why it would make sense to interpret those verses as referring to abolishing God's word.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Only Jesus could fulfill the Law of Moses, and when He finally fulfilled it He said "It is finished." He fulfilled it so there could be a new covenant.

The only way the children of Israel could be forgiven was not by obedience, but by faith in the priestly sin sacrifices
(Num 15:24-31).

Nothing in Matthew 5 references Christ's death on the cross, but rather, Jesus immediately proceeded to fulfill the law by teaching how to correctly obey it. In Titus 2:14, it describes what Jesus finished on the cross by saying that he gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross, while returning to the lawlessness that he gave himself to redeem us from is the way to reject what Jesus accomplished through the cross.

I don't understand you here; but we are not to love our neighbor as you love yourself, but love your neighbor as the Lord loves (Jhn 15:17). It's Himself in us that loves others thorough us!

In order to correctly obey the command to love our neighbor as ourselves we need to know how we should love ourselves, and the answer to that is that we should love ourselves as Jesus loves us, which is also how we should love our neighbor. Loving our neighbor as Jesus loves us is not doing something different than obeying the command to love our neighbor as ourselves. Furthermore, Jesus expressed his love for his neighbor through his obedience to the Mosaic Law, so that is also how we are to love as he loved.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Nothing in Matthew 5 references Christ's death on the cross, but rather, Jesus immediately proceeded to fulfill the law by teaching how to correctly obey it.
I think until we can understand that the Law was "taken away" we will only grow morally, not godly, which is in Christ (Heb 10:9; also 7:18, 19; 8:7, 8; 2Co 3:11; Eph 2:15; Col 2:14; Gal 3:24, 25).

• Friendly
Reactions: atpollard
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 10 commandments tell us how we are to love God and neighbor, and if we understand them are a true guide. The issue with them wasn't the law, as that is holy and righteous and good. If we love Christ, we will live out the 10 commandments if not by letter than in spirit.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think until we can understand that the Law was "taken away" we will only grow morally, not godly, which is in Christ (Heb 10:9; also 7:18, 19; 8:7, 8; 2Co 3:11; Eph 2:15; Col 2:14; Gal 3:24, 25).

God's law teaches how to do what is moral and godly, so taking it away would be freeing us to do what is immoral and ungodly, which is the opposite of growing morally and godly. Those verses do not support taking God's law away, but rather it is eternal (Psalms 119:160). Laws for how to act in accordance with God's nature can't be taken away without first taking God away, so you are arguing for the rejection of God.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God's law teaches how to do what is moral and godly, so taking it away would be freeing us to do what is immoral and ungodly, which is the opposite of growing morally and godly. Those verses do not support taking God's law away, but rather it is eternal (Psalms 119:160). Laws for how to act in accordance with God's nature can't be taken away without first taking God away, so you are arguing for the rejection of God.
It requires being sinless to keep the Law of Moses the way it should be kept, thus it could only condemn a sinner. That's why Christ kept the Law, to deliver the Jews from the Law. It was holy and just, and thus man could not be so apart from redemption, only forgiven by believing in the sacrificial ordinances of the priest. The Law had to be "finished" (fulfilled), then "taken away" so the new covenant could be established.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It requires being sinless to keep the Law of Moses the way it should be kept, thus it could only condemn a sinner. That's why Christ kept the Law, to deliver the Jews from the Law. It was holy and just, and thus man could not be so apart from redemption, only forgiven by believing in the sacrificial ordinances of the priest. The Law had to be "finished" (fulfilled), then "taken away" so the new covenant could be established.
Christ came to take away sin, not the law. The issue with the law is the Jews looked to it as a means to be made righteous, when it was never meant to be such a thing. It was, and remains, a law for a people who have already been redeemed. Christ's death did not take away the law, it took away the curse which was the power of sin.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

In Deuteronomy 30:11-20, it says that the Law of Moses is not too difficult for us to keep and that obedience to it brings life and a blessing while disobedience brings death and a curse, so choose life! So keeping the Law of Moses was presented as a possibility and as a choice, not as the need to be sinless or as something that only condemns us. The law itself came with instructions for what to do when the people sinned, so being sinless was never a requirement. Furthermore, while have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, there are a number of people who are recorded in the Bible as keeping the Mosaic Law, such as in Joshua 22:1-3, Luke 1:5-6, and Revelation 14:12.

Nowhere does the Bible say that Christ kept the law in order to deliver Jews from it, but rather Jesus specifically said that he came not to abolish it and warned against relaxing the least part of it or teaching others to do the same (Matthew 5:17-19). In addition, in Romans 3:31, Paul confirmed that our faith does not abolish the Mosaic Law, but rather our faith upholds it, yet you seek to do the opposite. In Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so God graciously teaching us to obey the Mosaic Law is the content of His gift of salvation. Furthermore, in Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to free us from God's law, but in order to free us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20). Moreover, in Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant involves God putting the Mosaic Law in our minds and writing it on our hearts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Christ came to take away sin, not the law. The issue with the law is the Jews looked to it as a means to be made righteous, when it was never meant to be such a thing. It was, and remains, a law for a people who have already been redeemed. Christ's death did not take away the law, it took away the curse which was the power of sin.
The Law wasn't for the Gentiles, but only the Jews--God's people (Rom 2:14; also Rom 3:2; Eph 2:12). Christians have the Gospel instead of the Law. Presently no body has the Law--but a new Law (new covenant which will be law) will be established later for the Jews.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The Law wasn't for the Gentiles, but only the Jews--God's people (Rom 2:14; also Rom 3:2; Eph 2:12). Christians have the Gospel instead of the Law. Presently no body has the Law--but a new Law (new covenant which will be law) will be established later for the Jews.

Again, in Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and God's law was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is an integral part of the Gospel message, which he prophesied would be proclaimed to the Gentiles (Matthew 24:12-14), and commissioned his disciples to bring to the Gentiles (Matthew 28:16-20). So it is contradictory for you to contrast having the Gospel instead of God's law. Furthermore, Jesus set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to God's law, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6). So Jesus spent his ministry teaching his followers how to obey God's law by word and by example and Gentiles can look at the law that he taught and decided whether or not to become his follower, but Gentiles can't follow him by refusing to follow the law that he taught.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟249,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Righteousness does not come by the Law (Gal 2:16; 2:21). Too much Scripture evidence to avoid!

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Righteousness does not come by the Law (Gal 2:16; 2:21). Too much Scripture evidence to avoid!
It never has, but man's duty to obey remains unchanged. Christ did not come to free us from the law, and if we understand the law properly it is a blessing to live by.

Upvote 0