Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
(Just posted this on my Facebook account)

I'm personally laughing at seeing the "Rings of Power" aka Woke of the Rings, count down timer when I checked on the status of my latest Amazon order. They are really scared by us traditional Tolkien fans turning up our nose at it, since the various trailers and early screenings happened. But for the record it airs 3 days from now, I assume at 9pm Thursday. The meme (posted below) is really appropriate, when you realize how much they spent 1/2 Billion $ for 8 episodes! Imagine what good TV shows like Babylon 5, Firefly, the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, the Sarah Connor Chronicles etc. could have done with that budget. Shoot that budget is bigger than the military budget of many small and poor countries I'm sure.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You have no budget here.png

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
(Just posted this on my Facebook account)

I'm personally laughing at seeing the "Rings of Power" aka Woke of the Rings, count down timer when I checked on the status of my latest Amazon order. They are really scared by us traditional Tolkien fans turning up our nose at it, since the various trailers and early screenings happened. But for the record it airs 3 days from now, I assume at 9pm Thursday. The meme (posted below) is really appropriate, when you realize how much they spent 1/2 Billion $ for 8 episodes! Imagine what good TV shows like Babylon 5, Firefly, the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, the Sarah Connor Chronicles etc. could have done with that budget. Shoot that budget is bigger than the military budget of many small and poor countries I'm sure.
Pavel I fully expect you to create a thread once it airs for us to share our experiences, however mirthless :grinning:

For the record I'm a Conan-man myself, but still Tolkien and the whole genre that he shaped was such a big part of my upbringing that I'm interested to see where this show goes. I've thus lowered my expectations into the dust in hopes that there will be at least some little grubby, worm-eaten scraps that I may salvage.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Pavel I fully expect you to create a thread once it airs for us to share our experiences, however mirthless :grinning:

For the record I'm a Conan-man myself, but still Tolkien and the whole genre that he shaped was such a big part of my upbringing that I'm interested to see where this show goes. I've thus lowered my expectations into the dust in hopes that there will be at least some little grubby, worm-eaten scraps that I may salvage.

lol maybe but for the record. This is kind of like giving the CW a King Ransom and then say, "Hey why don't you make this timeless Classic with the ton of money we gave you!

I have watched a few CW shows in my day, but watch less and less the more activist they have become.

Yeah maybe, I did watch a show called Mystery Science Theater 3000, and did some of that wise cracking at bad movies with my friends back in the 90s.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

hhmmm you do not have that channel in Canada, I presume. It is a US channel that use to run a lot of syndicated programming and second rate original TV shows. It became famous for schlocky super hero, soap opera type shows, especially around the DC comics universe. It started out somewhat respectable but became worse and worse each year....

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
hhmmm you do not have that channel in Canada, I presume. It is a US channel that use to run a lot of syndicated programming and second rate TV shows. It became famous for schlocky super hero, soap opera type shows, especially around the DC comics universe. It started out somewhat respectable but became worse and worse each year....

Ah... thanks for clarifying. Indeed, for me I've pretty much given up on TV (and 95% of movies too) and the experience of seeing what they've done to Star Trek (Discovery, Below Decks, Picard) has more or less forced me into a little bubble of happily rotating only my most cherished series (e.g. any TREK before Discovery, Deadwood, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica).

• Agree
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ah... thanks for clarifying. Indeed, for me I've pretty much given up on TV (and 95% of movies too) and the experience of seeing what they've done to Star Trek (Discovery, Below Decks, Picard) has more or less forced me into a little bubble of happily rotating only my most cherished series (e.g. any TREK before Discovery, Deadwood, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica).

It is actually entertaining to watch the Youtube critics savage these corrupted shows. I got say, I find it boggling that these younger millennial executives could get ahold of an established franchise and completely run it into the ground by disrespecting it's fanbase and source material.

I guess I did get a little bit of a foretaste of that maybe 12 years ago from the Canadian, computer game company Bioware, and their making a sequel to their hit game Dragon Age. The game allowed your role playing character to "have a romance" with one of your henchmen. And they of course had the same sex option on that, but they really over did it in they engineered it in the game, especially them retooling the previous relationship system. You turning down your henchmen, almost seemed like sexual harassment because you suffered a huge loss which in reality wasn't that big, but if you were familiar with the previous game seemed enormous.

Anyway people complained to the lead guy on the forums, David Gaider, who also coincidentally is gay etc. and it didn't go well, where he lectured to them about "heterosexual privilege" when people talked about him tweaking the game where that sort of thing only gets triggered if you enable it in the options etc. He basically was not having any of that American customer service reasoning, "About the Customer is always right", and "make things for the mainstream audience" etc.

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
It is actually entertaining to watch the Youtube critics savage these corrupted shows.
Oh absolutely! I suspect you and I might well subscribe to some of the same channels - e.g. Red Letter Media, Critical Drinker, AngryJoe, Quartering? :grinning:

re. Dragon Age - yeah I vaguely remember that game. I also remember when I started to notice even mobile games started getting infected, suddenly having little virtue-signals, weird schmaltzy sentimentality, etc. I guess videogames, still as corporate products, just got washed over and crumbled under the tsumani of progressive totalitarian Ideology.

Reactions: eclipsenow
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
- e.g. Red Letter Media, Critical Drinker, AngryJoe, Quartering? :grinning:

Yes Critical Drinker is a favorite. Also like Nerdrotic a lot, I loved his covering his own living dilemma during the pandemic, he left California over the pandemic craziness especially it killing his wife hair salon business, and I am incidentally moving back there in less than 2 months (I went to the east coast, North Carolina and then Pennsylvania).

Heel vs. Baby Face also good, sometimes also take in Razorfist who is probably the strongest of them as far as language goes, but sometimes also does good social commentary on his home state of Arizona.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,676.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is actually entertaining to watch the Youtube critics savage these corrupted shows. I got say, I find it boggling that these younger millennial executives could get ahold of an established franchise and completely run it into the ground by disrespecting it's fanbase and source material.
Yes - I like Critical Drinker - but seriously - language warning! :doh:

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,676.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh absolutely! I suspect you and I might well subscribe to some of the same channels - e.g. Red Letter Media, Critical Drinker, AngryJoe, Quartering? :grinning:
Red Letter media! Ha HA HA - so good!

Have you seen Auralnauts?
Star Wars throne room awards ceremony - without John Williams.
Warning: do not eat or drink while watching this as (for me anyway) there was an LOL moment that got messy.

Lately they've been redoing the classic Luke trilogy - but if the prequels and sequels are real.
Hilarious stuff like Vader asking "What is thy bidding, my master?"
Palpatine: "Don't wipe them out now - take thousands of my star destroyers and hide them at Exegol for 40 years! THEN we'll attack them!"

• Haha
Reactions: Brother-Mike
Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private

Warning: do not eat or drink while watching this as (for me anyway) there was an LOL moment that got messy.

Lately they've been redoing the classic Luke trilogy - but if the prequels and sequels are real.
Palpatine: "Don't wipe them out now - take thousands of my star destroyers and hide them at Exegol for 40 years! THEN we'll attack them!"
Awesome… thanks will check out Auralnauts!

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private

UPDATE: I've officially watched your above video (i.e. ceremony minus music). You were right about not being mid-sip! :ahah:

It sort of goes to show the weirdness of film as a medium when music is combined with visuals to coalesce into a unified whole. The flip-side to this is how some soundtrack albums, when listened to separately, just seem like an unpredictable, jumbled mess of stings and sudden mood changes when you don't have the visual component.

• Haha
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
OK that was funny! Interesting how music changes things. I'm pretty sure he did something with Chewy's voice like raised it an octave and got rid of the vibrato, because it seems less beast like and more like some kind of nerdy spaz Wookie.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes Critical Drinker is a favorite. Also like Nerdrotic a lot, I loved his covering his own living dilemma during the pandemic, he left California over the pandemic craziness especially it killing his wife hair salon business, and I am incidentally moving back there in less than 2 months (I went to the east coast, North Carolina and then Pennsylvania).

Heel vs. Baby Face also good, sometimes also take in Razorfist who is probably the strongest of them as far as language goes, but sometimes also does good social commentary on his home state of Arizona.
Ha ha, I am listening to Nerdrotic's live podcast on it right now. I like him & Midnight's Edge. Smart men. I just recently found them a couple months ago & now listen to them at work. :)

I was wondering what all the LotR fans here on CF thought of this new show. Can't say I'd be interested in it even if it wasn't woke. It seems like a cash grab more than anything.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,676.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
... and more like some kind of nerdy spaz Wookie.
Ha ha - yes - or an anxious teen Wookie that hasn't had his medication yet!

But the whole awkward vibe of the thing reminds me of those High School awards nights where the nerdy kids (not me sadly or I'd be a BOSS now!) got all the awards - and the rest of us just had to sit in awkward silence. Maybe High Schools need a bit of John Williams?

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Listening to this review. Besides all the Woke stuff, a really huge problem this video talks about is how widely inconsistent the TV show is like they don't have a clear picture of the tone they want, what audience they want etc.

Upvote 0